Royals Born By Caesarean

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
betina said:
I heard that King Edward 6. was born by c.section too
This is an old wives' tale. Edward was born on October 12 and his mother Jane Seymour died on October 24. Women who had caesareans at this time did not survive, let alone survive for 12 days. Jane died of puerperal fever also called childbed fever. There are various dates given for the first successful caesarean and all are either in the late 1700s or the 1800s.

Queen Beatrix and Princess Máxima

When Princess Máxima delivered her first baby and the doctors gave a live televized press conference and told the Princess delivered it via natural way, there was surprise with many journalists and reporters on the various channels.

In 1967, 1968 and 1969 the then Princess Beatrix gave birth to Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Friso respectively Prince Constantijn. All three of them via a caesarean. (In Dutch: keizersnede (Emperor's Cut) And that while eeeh... Princess Beatrix was 'well equipped' (broad hips) for a smooth delivery.

It was more or less expected that also Princess Máxima wanted to do it 'the royal way' but she did it all by herself.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I never heard that Queen Elizabeth had her kids by C-section. How was Princes Aiko of Japan born? C-section or Natural?
Yes I've heard that as well. My friend has 3 kids...first was born natural- 2nd was C-section (she had a 10pound baby boy). They told her to wait at least a year & a half before even trying to have a 3rd....well needless to say- it didn't happen (her 3rd came a year later & by C-section)
They say it can put a strain on your body to have C-sections so close together (or something like that).

Oppie said:
Current thinking suggests that you wait 18 months between kids, but that is subjective and it doesn't matter how the first baby was born. I think if you had two children close together and the first was caesearan then the second one would be more likley to be born the same way.

In cases like this it is always strongly suggested, but not enforced rules, if you have four caesearans and get pregnant again, the doctors really have no choice, they can't force a natural birth. Same with having two children close together.

I have also heard that Queen Elizabeth and her mother had c-sections for all there children but I can't find a link. On the other hand Prince Philip was born on the dining room table (but I don't know if this is a urban legend or true)

What about Christian Of Denmark??

Princess Kiko of Japan is going to give birth to her 3rd child by c-section probably on Sept. 6, 2006.

Mari_* said:
What about Christian Of Denmark??

Prince Christian was born through normal delivery.:)

betina said:
One of my freinds in Denmark was born by cesarian and her mother was told that she could only have 4 children that way.

that's what i know too, and what we're told. i have two friends who have 3 siblings each because they were all born through C-section. but then, i have another classmate who has 7 siblings and they were all born through C-section.:idea: so i guess it can depend on the woman's capacities and how your doctor can handle it.

selrahc4 said:
None of the Queen's children were born by ceasarean...where did you read that?

I believe I read it in the book Royal Children by Ingrid Seward(Editor in chief of Majesty Magazine). I will double check to make sure it is correct.

Laura Ponte, wife of King Juan Carlos nephew, Beltran Gomez Acebo, gave birth to her two kids via caesarean.

For Ingrid and Sverre, I would imagine it was a natural birth as she left the hospital the same day!

Marius was born through natural delivery as well. Good for Princess Mette-Marit! :flowers: 3 kids - all natural.

What about Haakon Magnus and Märtha Louise? I think Sonja gave birth through natural delivery as well, didn't she?:huh:

Also Infantas Elena, Cristina and Felipe. They were born through a natural delivery I'm sure. I could be wrong!

RhapsodyBrat said:
Prince Christian was born through normal delivery.:)
Thank you RhapsodyBrat :flowers:
...sOfIa.... said:
Also Infantas Elena, Cristina and Felipe. They were born through a natural delivery I'm sure. I could be wrong!
Yes they were :flowers:

I heard Alexandra of Denmark had a difficult delivery of one of her sons. Did she have Caesarean?

Princess Margaret of Great Britain was born by C-Section at Glamis Castle in Scotland in 1930.

Oppie said:
In cases like this it is always strongly suggested, but not enforced rules, if you have four caesearans and get pregnant again, the doctors really have no choice, they can't force a natural birth. Same with having two children close together.

I have also heard that Queen Elizabeth and her mother had c-sections for all there children but I can't find a link. On the other hand Prince Philip was born on the dining room table (but I don't know if this is a urban legend or true)

In Majesty by Robert Lacey (1974), it is stated that the Queen Mum gave birth to QEII by caesarean (pg 3).

wymanda said:
Princess Margaret of Great Britain was born by C-Section at Glamis Castle in Scotland in 1930.
How can they make a caesarean in an at home birth? wouldn't they have to be taken to hospital?

They all had their own anesthetists (sp?) and doctors and such, didn't they?

In Royal Family of Jordan

Prince Hamzah
Princesses Iman and Raiyah

Lakshmi said:
I heard Alexandra of Denmark had a difficult delivery of one of her sons. Did she have Caesarean?

I didnt hear that. She had an epidural with both of her boys but that is very normal to have that. She delivered naturaly

A friend of mine had her first via C-section and 6 weeks after the birth fell pregnant again (c-section delivery again)

Whether a natural or c-section delivery they always recommend your body takes a break of at least 12-18 months before the next pregnancy

Princess claire of belgium had her twins (Aymeric and Nicolas) by C - section

I'm more curious as to why some of these royals had a ceasarean- where they elective or required? I understand why some of the subsequent births were ceasarean, as it wasn't until quite recently that doctors have been saying that a women can have a vaginal birth after a ceasarean birth, but why were the first ones born by ceasarean?

I know Letizia had Leonor vis c-section because Leo was in the breech position (buttocks first), which can cause serious problems to the baby, as it may not get enough air during the birth.

In terms of being required. There would be two different kinds the first is 'crash' which means something happens and they need to get the baby out right away. The second would be a problem in which it would be safer to have a caesarean.

Lady Louise Windsor would have been a crash, because the placenta tore so she needed to be born right away to save both her and her mothers life.

I would also make an educated guess that the Belgium twins (Nicolas and Aymeric) were also crash since we first heard that Claire was on bed rest and then she had the twins soon after. Without knowing the details I would guess that they tried to stop her labour, but something happened with one of the twins and they decided that it was safer for them to be born right away.

In the second category is Elisabeth of Belgium who was breach, Leonor of Spain who (as my understanding) had non progressive labour (labour stopped or slowed down) and caesearn becomes the safer option. If I was wrong about the Belgium twins then I would say that they were a high risk pregnancy which also means the caesarean is safer.

I don't know about the older kids, but again guessing that caesarearn was the norm for some of them when they were born, so I guess that would fall under the elective side.

Oppie said:
There is no limit to how many you can have. Many times especially in the past once you had one c-section, all of your other children would also need to be born that way, but this does not always happen (Princess Mathilde is a good example)

Current thinking suggests that you wait 18 months between kids, but that is subjective and it doesn't matter how the first baby was born. I think if you had two children close together and the first was caesearan then the second one would be more likley to be born the same way.
In the USA, women are advised to not have more than three c sections. In fact you are advised after two, to consider not having another pregnancy. The reason is that while you open the same incision scar on the skin, each c section produces another incision on the uterus, in a different location. This leads to weak spots in the uterine wall. If one goes into labor, there is an increased chance, with each additional scar on the uterus, of a rupture which would cause rapid maternal fatality

Scooter- I agree. My ob-gyn made it quite clear that after two C-sections that any future children would also be born by C-section as well.

Sometimes the size of the child makes a natural delivery impossible. My second child had very broad shoulders and a large head, so even my C-section was some what difficult.

Back
Top Bottom