Royals Before Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I don't believe that people need elevate her to goddess status, and to be frank, I am a bit revolted by the whole celebrity worship thing. I'm merely saying let the dead rest in peace.

I agree with you.

You're not merely saying let the dead rest in peace. Were you "merely" saying that and meaning it, then we should none of us discuss anyone not living in human history. All you're basically saying is that you want no discussion of those dead people you don't like. At least have the minimal integrity to say what you mean and mean what you say. Of course it won't do you any good since you live in something called a democracy and that means your only option is to start learning to ignore that which you do not like.

As far as the dead not resting in peace, the only non-rest they get is from people who project their own hateful fantasies about them. Frankly I am more than revolted by it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

can we agree then that before Diana there were no royals using the press (vice versa)? diana must have been a very good communicator then that she can 'used' the press. And suprisingly the press did (does) not mind at all to be used by Diana? So i think it is a symbiosis mutualism between them :innocent:

but can one compare different countires

in sweden the royal family has been in the papers and in tv a lot mostly since 1976 when sweden got a new queen

we have seen the swedish royal children a lot seen them growing up, there has been more paparaztis during their teenage years a nd a lot now. but victoria did start doing interviews in a early age.

every year at new year there is a special on tv seeing what the royal family has been doing during the past year

and the victoria day is very big thing and has been going on since 1979 i think before diana was ever in the picture

in sweden there has been a lot of the royal family in the media alot of talk about silvias fashion since 1976 before we heard about diana

what do others know of their countries were the royal familes in the public before diana came in the picture?

i would like to hear from those that live in denmark, norway netherlands and spain is it a other news flow on your roylas now then before the diana era

and i do not want to read more about pro and con diana
keep your thoghts to the topic that you can read in the very first post in this thread

//Josefine - Admin

I would say the real change in the RF started long before Diana. IT started with QE the Queen mother, she started the royal walkabout. (in canada, I believe) And also helped out during ww2 with moral support. But as we all know diana gets all the credit. I know diana did alot of good.

i think that Diana did a lot of charities that "let people know" thru the medias....if she did a lot but no one knows....then what's the point of encouraging people to donate money for the poor, the sick...for good causes?

one thing that Diana did is that she show her "caring, loving" characteristics to people...she really did deliver the message of warmth to people...that's why people call her the "People's Princess"

i have been thinkng about this subject

i do beleive that gossip and media is much larger now and great britten has been much earlier with that kind of reporting then maybe sweden, denmark and norway

i

princess diana was the first princess who "broke" all the rules and sort of became the first modern princess which most of us can identify with and therefore set the standard of what we expect of a princess. hence now we kinda of see all the princesses in the world "follow" diana's style...

Why are so many people saying that Diana broke convention and became a "modern" princess. She was not the first royal fashion icon. She was not the first royal to show emotions. She was not the first royal to be a hands on mom. The only things Diana did diffrently is that she turned the monarchy into a celebrity soap opera hoopla. She knew how to get a lot of exposer and attention. Thats it really.

I would say the real change in the RF started long before Diana. IT started with QE the Queen mother, she started the royal walkabout. (in canada, I believe) And also helped out during ww2 with moral support. But as we all know diana gets all the credit. I know diana did alot of good.
I believe the Queen Mother was trying to show how the BRF were more down to earth than had been thought, especially during George V's era. Don't forget, they were weathering the crisis brought on by Edward VIII's abdication, more soap opera and scandal than anything Diana did at the time.

PRINCEJOHNNY25 said:
Why are so many people saying that Diana broke convention and became a "modern" princess. She was not the first royal fashion icon. She was not the first royal to show emotions. She was not the first royal to be a hands on mom. The only things Diana did diffrently is that she turned the monarchy into a celebrity soap opera hoopla. She knew how to get a lot of exposer and attention. Thats it really.
Wasn't Alexandra of Denmark a big trend setter as Diana was later? True, Diana wasn't the first to do all these things, just the most recent in memory. Someone else will come along later and either demonstrate how best to balance media and propriety or they may just make as many flubs as times change. The media is constantly changing as are acceptable standards. There used to be unwritten laws about what would and wouldn't be covered but in today's tabloids anything goes--whether accurate or not.
I think the BRF needs to rethink some of the current advisors and get better media consultants.

I assume you are speaking of Alexandra of Denmark who was Princess of Wales? Married to one of Victorias sons?

In so far as I can tell, each new Princess that comes about changes things in some way at least for awhile. I'm not talking about each and every Princess, just those that are perhaps the heir to the throne. I mean, the current Queen (Elizabeth II) was extremely popular when she was a princess. The media loved her. Granted, it was to a completely different degree. I think one of the reasons that Diana was so huge was how many tools the media had at their disposal. Also, in the past the media was, as is often said, more respectful. They didn't necessarily chase people around, hide, stalk, etc. like they do now.

Pertaining to Diana:

I can't believe that some people think that current Royals are not effected by what she did and or who she was. Do their personal day to day decisions have anything to do with Diana? Do they think, "Well, Diana did this, so if I do it too, then I'll be exactly like her" Who knows! However, the media will keep using Diana's name for, most likely, a long time to come. And because of this, there is probably going to be a least on person that thinks something along the lines of "I'm not trying to be Diana, so please stop labeling me as such" I'm not saying that this will be said in a disrespectful manner, but I'm sure some people will think it at some point, and really, who could blame them?

To those that want her to rest in peace, please note that I am not trying to disrespect her in any way. To be honest, I admired what she did for charity, but I was then and I am now a bit skeptical as to all of her motives. Also to be honest, she kind of annoyed me sometimes. Now, since people don't seem to want to read opinions about her because she can't defend herself against said opinons, let me tell you right now that even if she was standing here in front of me listing off all of her reasons as to why she did everything she did, my opinion wouldn't change. So it makes no difference that she can't do so now. I mean even if she were alive, I would never be able to meet her and have this discussion, so why does it make any difference? I'm not trying to be rude, but people really seem to be up in arms about this.

I can't say that I know too much about all the royals before Diana, but really I think that the attention and interest in royal life was there, just much much more muted. People couldn't really do anything about it, I mean, there seemed to be more respect, of the "You're Royal, I'm not, I should mind my own business" kind. I'm not saying there isn't repect now, the kind of respect has just changed I think.

Personally, I don't really care what goes on "behind closed doors" Am I curious? Heck yeah! Do I care? Not really. Is my life going to be changed drastically because I learn what kind of cereal the Queen eats? No.....can't say as it will......though I think she eats corn flakes.....Anyway, to sum up what little I've said here:

Diana does too have an effect on current Royals....does she effect their everyday choices? Not necessarily, but she does effect how we look at them/ how we label them. (Is this true everywhere? Not necessarily)

I think there has always been at least on person that has had a similar effect to what Diana produced. Do I know all of them? Nope. But then again I wasn't alive back then so I can't feel the same way about those people. I think a huge part of someone's effect is living through those times yes?

One thing that bugs me though is that because of Diana, people have made more demands on people who have devoted their whole life to the service of the people.....that seems kind of unfair to me. It sound to me like" Well, I know you've already given me your whole life, but you aren't good enough for me, why can't you be more like Diana? Why can't you give me a hug?" I don't know.....just sounds wrong to me.

Alright, I've said what I have to say at the moment (I think) now I'll sit back and patiently wait for people to tear my opinions and thoughts apart....after all, there seem to be a few people who are quite good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom