Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, sometimes Sophie looks nicely put together, other times she looks like she needs a stylist helping her. And this is one of the latter times. What she's wearing looks like its for colder weather, although the dress might be made of lightweight fabric, the look and style doesn't suit her at all. The dress has too much black in it, especially with the black long-sleeved jacket. It doesn't suit her coloring.

If the dress shape was slimmer and the jacket white, she might look better. But why isn't she wearing a brighter shade altogether? What Sophie is wearing makes her look dowdy, IMO.

Meghan Markle wore a black wrap dress last year at Wimbledon, but it had a flattering style and looked suitable for hot weather.

That particular day at Wimbledon was not hot, at all. Black and white is a wonderful color combination and not "dowdy" at all, imo. But, if you didn't like what the Countess wore, that is just fine. You have a right to your opinion.

Also, I don't give a toot what a C-list, basic cable actress wears to Wimbledon. Thank you very much.

It's considered bad form to wear bright colors in the Royal Box at Wimbledon. It can distract the players, as the box is highly visible from court. So black and white is a perfect combination.

It's considered bad form to wear bright colors in the Royal Box at Wimbledon. It can distract the players, as the box is highly visible from court. So black and white is a perfect combination.

I have never heard of this. Over the years, many of the Royal ladies have worn pretty summer colours - just look back through the pictures in this forum, and former champions,such as Billie Jean King, regularly sit in the Royal Box wearing bright hues. None of these esteemed folk seem to be aware it is 'bad form'.

There's royals violating that 'no bright hues' policy then....google royals at Wimbledon...lots of color.

LaRae

The only time I have been to Wimbledon and sat next to the Royal Box all the women were in bright colours - Kate stood out in red of course - but they were all in quite bright colours.

If this is the stated 'form' then it is breached way more often than followed.

A lot of Windsors in the royal box today. William, Kate, Prince and Princess Michael, Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra I spotted. Lord and Lady Frederick are also there.

Does anyone know why Kate has a bow on her dress? Is it something to do with Wimbledon?

A lot of Windsors in the royal box today. William, Kate, Prince and Princess Michael, Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra I spotted. Lord and Lady Frederick are also there.

Does anyone know why Kate has a bow on her dress? Is it something to do with Wimbledon?

Might have something to do with her being Patron, as in this picture the gentleman to her right is wearing a purple and black one.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE29UlBXUAAeaiD.jpg

Here's a lady wearing one as well;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE28xnVWsAAVVe4.jpg:large

Do you think Juan Carlos had a chance to meet privately with the Queen while he was in London ? That would be awkward considering that, just the day before, when bidding farewell to King Felipe, the Queen asked him to send her love to his parents !

Is the Queen even in London BTW over the weekend ?

Do you think Juan Carlos had a chance to meet privately with the Queen while he was in London ? That would be awkward considering that, just the day before, when bidding farewell to King Felipe, the Queen asked him to send her love to his parents !

According to photos taken yesterday the Queen is at Windsor. She was seen riding with Louise and Edward yesterday.

She is in Windsor riding;
The Queen is seen riding at Windsor Castle with the Royals | Daily Mail Online

Somehow I don't think Juan Carlos just turned up on the day, and Felipe may have already known his father was arriving.

Lord and Lady Frederik Windsor: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/16/13/4263239400000578-4700854-image-m-113_1500206559314.jpg

Last edited:

I have also spotted the Earl of St. Andrews and his wife and the Duchess of Gloucester in the Royal Box.

I think the bow means a member of the All England Club but I'm not positive. I thought that's what they said on ESPN

The whole Middleton family is there as well. The place is packed with well known faces.

I know the round badge is the member's badge, but I'm not sure what the ribbon is.

Hearing Prince Albert is also in the royal box. Has anyone seen a picture of him? He has not been shown on television from what I've seen. Quite the royal turnout!

That particular day at Wimbledon was not hot, at all. Black and white is a wonderful color combination and not "dowdy" at all, imo. But, if you didn't like what the Countess wore, that is just fine. You have a right to your opinion.

Also, I don't give a toot what a C-list, basic cable actress wears to Wimbledon. Thank you very much.

Just as you can obviously 'toot' whatever horn you please. ? The color combination has nothing to do with the dowdiness of how the cut and styling of this sartorial choice looks on Countess Sophie. The ruffly look of the dress at the hem, as well as the length does nothing for the Countess, who actually is very attractive, and has looked quite wonderful and pulled together on many occasions.

IMO, as I said, if the cut of the dress was slimmer, and if there was less black in the dress or conversely if she'd worn a white jacket with the dress as is, with the right silhouette and styling, she might have looked better. Of course, it's not a fashion contest and everyone is entitled to their perceptions and sartorial sensibilities. Still, I think Sophie is very attractive and she looks nicely pulled together quite often, so I would hope for her more consistency in her styling decisions for public appearances.

Last edited:
Does Charlene not have any interest in tennis? I am guessing that's why she doesn't attend?

LaRae

Majesty Magazine replied to my question:

"Purple and green are the colours of the #AELTC, of which the Duchess is now patron. Male members of the club wear a tie in the same colours."

It was good to see the Cambridges and the entire Kent families there. William's suit looked good.

Last edited:
Majesty Magazine replied to my question:

"Purple and green are the colours of the #AELTC, of which the Duchess is now patron. Male members of the club wear a tie in the same colours."

We may assume the Duke of Cambridge is no (honorary) member of the All England Lawn Tennis And Croquet Club, since he sported no club tie?

Does Charlene not have any interest in tennis? I am guessing that's why she doesn't attend?

LaRae

She always attends the Monte Carlo Open: picture
We may assume she preferred to be at home, having quality time with Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella.

Nearly time for one of my favourite events of the year. Hope we see Kate and Meghan both attending plus some European royals.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Who is this woman with him?

Meghan may be there Friday...Serena will be playing if she is able to advance.

LaRae

The Duke of Kent was also seen at Wimbledon today:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom