Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what's rather irritating?! Showing up for one match and then disappearing.

The Mixed Doubles is currently on and there is a British pair in the final and the Royal box is empty. There is nobody in there.

It would be nice to see support for others not just the stars.

^^^

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are in the Royal Box for mixed doubles.

Last edited:
They are now yeah, when the match started the box was empty. People started appearing after Hugh Grant came out.

Quick refreshments and break and all the royals are back out. Duke of Kent obviously stays as he presents the trophies but glad to see the rest are also there bar Princess Alexandra her seat is currently occupied by Lady Helen Taylor.

Doubles matches are frequently the most entertaining matches of the tournament and mixed doubles is particularly good.

BBC footage showed Andy being called called back to speak to the Duchess of Gloucester just after his chat with William and Kate. The Duchess is the greatest British tennis supporter and does a lot with the LTA and a constant presence at Davis Cup games.

From Instagram I can see Zenouska Mowatt is also at Wimbledon today. She posted about meeting Bradley Cooper.

You know what's rather irritating?! Showing up for one match and then disappearing.

The Mixed Doubles is currently on and there is a British pair in the final and the Royal box is empty. There is nobody in there.

It would be nice to see support for others not just the stars.

I agree. It was really classy of the Royals to stay and watch the Mixed finals. On the other other hand, I didn't see PM Cameron or Mr. Cumberbatch sticking around, at least they weren't shown on tv, that is. You can tell who the real tennis fans are.

Btw, am I the only one who thought Watson's partner Kontinen looks a lot like Pippa's ex-boyfriend J.J. Jardine- Patterson? :lol:

Royals at Wimbledon

For once I think the comments about the Royal Box are a little harsh. Look at the whole of Centre Court and it briefly emptied while people had a comfort break and got refreshments. The Royal Box was pretty full once the mixed doubles had got going.
As for the PM - well I don't know if he got back to the doubles but I guess he is quite a busy man and I for one was pleased to see he came to Wimbledon - do the US or French presidents go to the Grand Slam events in their countries?

A good turn out from the British royals to see Andy Murray win his second Wimbledon title (Well done to him!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3683318/Can-spot-stars-royal-box-Wimbledon.html

Last edited:
From Instagram I can see Zenouska Mowatt is also at Wimbledon today. She posted about meeting Bradley Cooper.

I don't think she was there i got the impression from the video that it was him saying hello to her via video as you can see Lady Freddie Windsor asking him to do so in it

Lady Freddie is an actress so she may know Bradley a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Duchess looks older in those pictures than her true age. Maybe it is the makeup (or lack thereof) ?

I certainly don't think the Duchess looks old. She's not an ingenue, she's 35 years old. Maybe she looks normal and actresses and such have photos airbrushed to a not normal appearance.

I think she looks her age range...30 something.

LaRae

I like the new hair length; much more flattering.

But the Duke of Kent will still present the winners' trophies? Or will Duchess Kate take over that role too?

But the Duke of Kent will still present the winners' trophies? Or will Duchess Kate take over that role too?

The Duke of Kent most likely will continue until he retires :flowers:

While Kate is patron, taking over from the queen, the Duke is president. And has been in his capacity as president, been presenting the award. He took over as president from his mother. Marina was for 26 years.

The queen may not be big on tennis, but many of the older royals are. The Duke and duchess both attend. The Duchess of Gloucester is also a lawn tennis patron and often at foreign tennis events as well.

According to the cc, the Duke of Kent will be attending most days. Including the women and men's finals which gives credence that he will continue handing out.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Kent used to present the ladies champion trophy until she withdrew from royal life and her husband took over for her. I remember watching all those Martina and Chris Evert battles back in the 80s. The Kents are big tennis fans. Michael and his wife also attend regularly. I imagine we will see Camilla, Sophie and maybe Eugenie and Beatrice in the royal box during the fortnight. Kate will most likely be back to watch with William.

The Duchess of Kent used to present the ladies champion trophy until she withdrew from royal life and her husband took over for her. I remember watching all those Martina and Chris Evert battles back in the 80s. The Kents are big tennis fans. Michael and his wife also attend regularly. I imagine we will see Camilla, Sophie and maybe Eugenie and Beatrice in the royal box during the fortnight. Kate will most likely be back to watch with William.

The Kents as you mentioned are big tennis fans. Many of the family attend, including Lord and Lady Frederick generally. Sophie normally will only attend the Ladies Semi-Final/Final but Edward never seems to attend, considering he is meant to be a big tennis fan. Admittedly he prefers the old school "real tennis", which is as we know how he met Sophie.

I am sure William will attend with Kate some day as he attended last year.

Crown Prince Frederick has been known to attend as well.

I would like to see Kate presenting the women's trophy.
It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.

If he and Meghan remain together I think we will see him there at some point.

LaRae

It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.[/QUOTE

Why? I don't remember ever seeing Harry at Wimbledon. Why would he start now? Maybe he doesn't like tennis. He's not alone in that department since the Queen obviously doesn't like tennis either. I think she has only shown up at Wimbledon two or three times in all the years she was patron and when she did show up she looked bored to tears. Harry, the action man, would probably be bored to tears sitting there looking at a ball going back and forth. Now, put a horse on the court and he would be there in a heartbeat. :lol:

If he and Meghan remain together I think we will see him there at some point.

I think we are more likely to see Meghan at an England rugby game. I don't think Harry has ever shown interest in tennis has he?

Is Meghan known to be a tennis fan? I know nothing about her other than her profession and nationality.

It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.

Maybe Kate could present the Ladies trophy and the Duke of Kent the Men's. Until the Duchess of Kent retired from public life that was the way I remember it when I was growing up.

No he doesn't have any interest in tennis, but often couples go do things for the sake of the other person....that's why I think it's possible he might go to Wimbledon at some point in the future.

LaRae

Maybe Kate could present the Ladies trophy and the Duke of Kent the Men's. Until the Duchess of Kent retired from public life that was the way I remember it when I was growing up.

I've been an avid tennis fan since 1968 and that is exactly how I remember it. The Duchess would present the trophy to the Ladies winner. I especially remember how sweet the Duchess was to Jana Novotna after Jana lost a heartbreaker to Steffi Graf. (Actually, she choked but still . . .) Anyway, Jana cried on the shoulder of the Duchess. It was a lovely moment. The Duchess presented the trophy each year except back in, I believe, 1977, the Queen presented the trophy to Virginia Wade. HM attended Wimbledon because it was I believe a Jubilee year. I remember she looked so bored in the stands that the American commentators had a running joke going through out the match. That was one of the two or three times I saw the Queen at Wimbledon.

Anyway, it would be nice if the Duchess of Cambridge presented the trophy to the ladies winner just as the Duchess of Kent did in the past. We will find out in a few days.

Unless plans change, Kate is not scheduled to attend Wimbledon again. If she was there in an official capacity, such as handing out prize, she would. Her appearance on Monday was on the court circular. As it stands only the Duke of Kent is scheduled to attend officially on both final championship days. The duchess of Gloucester who is also a patron, will be there for men's final and at least one other day.

I don't rule out Harry going. Couples tend to go to each other's interests. Why is Meghan any more likely to go to rugby then him tennis? We have no sign she is interested in rugby. Meghan is quite close friends with Serena. I could see her taking Harry along to cheer on her friend next year.

Royals at Wimbledon

I would be very surprised if Kate's visit to Wimbledon this year is limited to just one visit given both her personal enthusiasm for tennis and her new role as patron. Actually, regarding the new appointment as patron, I think I am not alone in wrongly assuming that this would mean she would be assuming a more prominent role at the championships . The publicity surrounding her new appointment has certainly created this impression - not in a way that sidelines the Duke of Kent, but suggesting more of a presence alongside him.
Countessmeout - I thought there is only one patron of the All England club - is the Duchess of Gloucester patron of another tournament? I confess I don't know a lot about these matters.

Last edited:
Unless plans change, Kate is not scheduled to attend Wimbledon again. If she was there in an official capacity, such as handing out prize, she would. Her appearance on Monday was on the court circular. As it stands only the Duke of Kent is scheduled to attend officially on both final championship days. The duchess of Gloucester who is also a patron, will be there for men's final and at least one other day.

I don't rule out Harry going. Couples tend to go to each other's interests. Why is Meghan any more likely to go to rugby then him tennis? We have no sign she is interested in rugby. Meghan is quite close friends with Serena. I could see her taking Harry along to cheer on her friend next year.

Catherine likes tennis, that's quite clear so I think it's a good bet that she'll go again either with the Middletons are William. She doesn't have to go in an official capacity.

Have we ever seen Meghan at any tennis match? Worldwide? If she's close friends with Serena and likes the sport, I would have thought she would have taken up the opportunity to see her at the US Open last year.

Countessmeout - I thought there is only one patron of the All England club - is the Duchess of Gloucester patron of another tournament? I confess I don't know a lot about these matters.

The Duchess of Gloucester is an Honorary Member (not Patron) along with The Duke of Edinburgh. :flowers:

As I said, I know nothing about Meghan, which is why I asked if she was known to be a tennis fan. You've answered that she is, thanks. I agree, Harry would be as likely to attend Wimbledon as Meghan is Twickenham.

Back
Top Bottom