Royals and Their Pets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes indeed. Our cat doesn't live with us; we live with him! Also he owns us, not the other way around.
We have two cats - a ginger and a turtleshell - and we are very thankful towards them for letting us share the house with them!! Love them to bits!!!

I have three cats - all adopted as kittens. Boris, Dervla and Piolho.I love cats and amire their attitude.

Here is a list of royals who own pets (to my knowledge):

- Princess Michael of Kent owns a cat
- HM owns Corgis and Dorgis
- Princess Anne owns a dog (I think it's a Staffordshire Terrier)
- Viscount and Viscountess Linley own a dog (I remember reading in the DM that it's called Shaggy)
- Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and his girlfriend Sofia Hellqvist own a puppy called Siri
- The Norwegian CP family own a dog called Mily Kako (and now 9 puppies)
- The Duchess of Cornwall owns Jack Russels called Beth and Bluebell
- The Danish CP family own a dog called Ziggy
- Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece owns a dog

Historically (again to my knowledge):

- Queen Victoria owned a King Charles Spaniel called Dash
- King George VI owned Corgis
- Princess Margaret owned a Daschund
- Henry VIII owned hunting hounds
- In a portrait of Mary I and Philip II, there is a dog with them. I think they owned one.

Do any Spanish royals and current Monegasque royals own pets?

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also have a dog. A cocker spaniel named Lupo.

My daughter is going to give a presentation about "Royal Dogs" and she is just looking for one missing Information...

About how many dogs do live in the Royal Kennels of Queen Elizabeth II. today? She only found out, that there lived about 100 dogs during the times of Edward VII.

Can anyone help please? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Did Prince (now King) Philippe of the Belgians own a dog when he became engaged to Mathilde?
:dog::dog::dog:

Queen Alexandra of England had pugs and spaniels, beagles and borzois, and basset hounds.

The Empress Alexandra, wife of Nicholas II of Russia, had a Scotch terrier named Eira.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Princess Madeleine has a dog Zorro
The King and Queen of Sweden I believe have 2 dogs- Zila and Jambo.
CP Victoria used to have 2 dogs. The first was Sissy and the second was Bingo.

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene care for Odin, a dog who was a gift to Prince Rainer from the citizens of the Principality. I am not sure what breed Odin is, but he must be advanced in age at this point. He walked in Rainier's funeral procession and last year was photographed with Charlene in the Palace gardens.

Caroline has been photographed on numerous occasions with two dachshunds. They go everywhere with her.

Andrea and Tatiana have the most adorable Boston terrier named Daphne. They treat her like a child. She was present for their civil and their Church weddings.

Stephanie is passionate about elephants and their welfare, but I am pretty sure she also has dogs.

- Princess Michael of Kent owns a cat
- Princess Anne owns a dog (I think it's a Staffordshire Terrier)
- Viscount and Viscountess Linley own a dog (I remember reading in the DM that it's called Shaggy)
- Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and his girlfriend Sofia Hellqvist own a puppy called Siri
- The Norwegian CP family own a dog called Mily Kako (and now 9 puppies)
- The Duchess of Cornwall owns Jack Russels called Beth and Bluebell
- The Danish CP family own a dog called Ziggy
- Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece owns a dog

- Queen Victoria owned a King Charles Spaniel called Dash
- King George VI owned Corgis
- Princess Margaret owned a Daschund
- Henry VIII owned hunting hounds
- In a portrait of Mary I and Philip II, there is a dog with them. I think they owned one.

Do any Spanish royals and current Monegasque royals own pets?

You forgot the Dorgis!! Famously one Summer at Balmoral one of HM's Corgis and one of Princess Margaret's Dachshunds became *very* close friends and thanks to them,, the Dorgi was born!! Not sure if any of their off spring are still around or not though.

You've got to give full credit to Camilla, as both Jack Russells come from a local no kill shelter both her and Charles are Patrons of. I remember the Engagement when she ended up taking Bluebell home w/and her saying she would have some explaining to do once Charles saw her coming through the doors of Clarence House w/a new Family Member. :D. She certainly walks her talk in this regard and I very much admire her for that. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

You forgot the Dorgis!! Famously one Summer at Balmoral one of HM's Corgis and one of Princess Margaret's Dachshunds became *very* close friends and thanks to them,, the Dorgi was born!! Not sure if any of their off spring are still around or not though.

Actually, if you reread my post you'll see that I mentioned HM's Dorgis :flowers::

A belated thanks to An Ard Ri for answering my question about the SRF's pets. I remember seeing dogs in the video of William and Harry as children visiting Juan Carlos, Sofia and Felipe but wasn't sure if they still had pets. To answer my own question: Princess Caroline owns dachshunds (?) and Andrea Casiraghi owns a dog, I remember seeing it at his and Tatiana's wedding.

Last edited:
Actually, if you reread my post you'll see that I mentioned HM's Dorgis :flowers::

A belated thanks to An Ard Ri for answering my question about the SRF's pets. I remember seeing dogs in the video of William and Harry as children visiting Juan Carlos, Sofia and Felipe but wasn't sure if they still had pets. To answer my own question: Princess Caroline owns dachshunds (?) and Andrea Casiraghi owns a dog, I remember seeing it at his and Tatiana's wedding.

Sorry about that. That's what I get for reading that while dealing w/having to run to the bathroom constantly the other night. They say sharing is good, but Mom could have kept this blasted thing!!

I found out the names of HM's Corgis and Dorgis: Holly, Willow, Candy and Vulcan. It was one of the most asked questions by the British public and was answered on the BRF's official website. :D

Sorry about that. That's what I get for reading that while dealing w/having to run to the bathroom constantly the other night. They say sharing is good, but Mom could have kept this blasted thing!!

That's OK - it's an easy mistake to make, I've done that before when in a rush. :flowers:

An Ard Ri and Sarahbellar, thanks for sharing the photos of the Monegasque, Spanish and Swedish royal pets. I didn't realize Grace had pets, and the names of the Swedish dogs are adorable - I particularly like Bingo, Siri and Charlie.

Last edited:
An Ard Ri and Sarahbellar, thanks for sharing the photos of the Monegasque, Spanish and Swedish royal pets. I didn't realize Grace had pets, and the names of the Swedish dogs are adorable - I particularly like Bingo, Siri and Charlie.

Charlie was originally named Ali but the King had to change it because of the of some political situation at the time. He was a wedding present from Queen Silvia.

Princess Madeleine has a dog Zorro
The King and Queen of Sweden I believe have 2 dogs- Zila and Jambo.
CP Victoria used to have 2 dogs. The first was Sissy and the second was Bingo.

Jambo was seen mostly as crown princess Victoria's dog and it died in November 2010.
Victorias älskade hund Jambo är död Svensk Damtidning

Princess Lilian had a dog called Bingo. The king and queen gave Bingo to her after prince Bertil died. Bingo died in November 2011.
Grattis prinsessan Lilian på 96-årsdagen! Svensk Damtidning
De skapade århundradets svenska kärlekshistoria Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The Swedish Royal Families Dogs

tumblr_nakb9r6D2M1speyy6o1_500.jpg

Svensk Damtidning tells, that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia have been looking for another dog for some time now. They have already 12-year old Slovensky kopov/Slovakian hound Zila.
Now they finally got a new dog three weeks ago. Brandie, a Bavarian mountain scenthound, was born on 6th June, the national day of Sweden.

Queen Mary I of England liked to be painted with her Italian Greyhounds at her feet.

King Edward VII of England's fox terrier Caesar bore on his collar the legend, 'I belong to the King'. Edward allowed him to sleep in an easy chair by his bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this. Did Carl Gustaf and Silvia get a new dog? Instagram

Yes, Svensk Damtidning told in September, that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia had been looking for another dog for some time. They have had the 12-year old Slovensky kopov/Slovakian hound Zila.
In the beginning of September they finally got a new dog. Brandie, a Bavarian mountain scenthound, was born on 6th June, the national day of Sweden.

Last edited:
Yes, Svensk Damtidning told in September, that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia had been looking for another dog for some time. They have had the 12-year old Slovensky kopov/Slovakian hound Zila.

In the beginning they finally got a new dog. Brandie, a Bavarian mountain scenthound, was born on 6th June, the national day of Sweden.

Thank you!

This is a quite interesting thread as I have heard very rarely about royals and cats...?! Royals have always been very much into dogs (which I sympathize with, indeed!)!

Queen Mary I of England liked to be painted with her Italian Greyhounds at her feet.

Yes, that's what I had written expect worded differently. :flowers: I have seen a few portraits of Mary I, but I don't think I have seen multiple ones of her with her Italian Greyhounds. The only one I've seen is the mentioned one of her and Philip II, but I could be missing something here.

I remember reading a while ago that Princess Michael's cat had gone missing, and that she had asked her neighbours at Kensington Palace if they had seen it. From what I remember, I do believe the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge helped her look for her cat, but IIRC their search wasn't successful. I wonder if Princess Michael has her cat back now.

Last edited:
I remember reading a while ago that Princess Michael's cat had gone missing, and that she had asked her neighbours at Kensington Palace if they had seen it. From what I remember, I do believe the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge helped her look for her cat, but IIRC their search wasn't successful. I wonder if Princess Michael has her cat back now.

If it was the 2012 cat-disappearance
Princess Michael of Kent's Cat Has Been Found

But indeed there still seem to be few royal cats about :flowers:

Did Prince (now King) Philippe of the Belgians own a dog when he became engaged to Mathilde?
:dog::dog::dog:

In the early years of their marriage Philippe and Mathilde had a dog named "Kinga" who lived with them at Laeken. I am not clear on whether Kinga was originally Philippe's pet ,or if he was acquired by the Royal couple after they married.

Afaik Kinga was a small puppy when then Princess Mathilde was pregnant with her oldest child (there are some articles on the internet about how they were a little concerned how the pup would deal with the new baby), but they might have had another dog before that, possibly Laika?

eta: they indeed had a dog named Laika, but unfortunately that strangled itself with it's leash when Philippe and Mathilde were on holiday...
(they got him together, i think that was the original question)

Last edited:
eta: they indeed had a dog named Laika, but unfortunately that strangled itself with it's leash when Philippe and Mathilde were on holiday...
:eek: :sad:

In the recent video's of the family they have a dog too, but it's only a "dog-sitting". But the kids looks very attached to the dog, so maybe they'll consider having another one? ;)

Back
Top Bottom