Royals and Their Pets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and they also sharpen their claws on the couch, are notoriously fussy eaters, malt everywhere, climb on the furniture and knock precious items off shelves and cry to go out and hunt at 2am.

Uhh, dogs aren't without their faults either. And I'm not sure what you mean by a cat crying to go out and hunt at 2am...I've never had a cat do that, nor one that hunts. I have however had a dog that barks and scratches on the door at 2am because it needs to relieve itself. Dogs also are notorious for drooling and barking, and depending on the type of dog, the barking can be downright annoying. I have a neighbor who has a little dog that whenever it's outside, it barks NON-STOP and it makes me want to scream!:bang:

Anyway, I'm sure more royals than we might think have cats, but the fact is, most people who have cats as pets keep them indoors, so the media may not even know about it.

Yes and they also sharpen their claws on the couch, are notoriously fussy eaters, malt everywhere, climb on the furniture and knock precious items off shelves and cry to go out and hunt at 2am.

I've had cats all of my life, and I've never had a cat cry to go out in the middle of the night. If you keep them indoors, spay and neuter them, this behaviour won't present itself. Yes, they climb on the furniture, but they can be trained to not do this. Also, scratching posts will keep the kitty from clawing the couch. I've had both dogs and cats, and I think they are wonderful companions. You just have to provide a good home and work with them, and they will most often behave themselves. I think that the reason we don't know much about royals and cats is because cats are often kept indoors and not taken for walks. I have heard that Princess Michael of Kent is a cat-lover.

I know that the Romanov family loved having pets
Grand duchess Olga nikolaievna had a cat named vaska, Czarevich aleksey had a king Charles spaniel named joy, grand duchess Tatiana had a dog named ortino, and I believe grand duchess Anastasia had a dog as well and that the czarevich's dog in 1918 went to go live at the court of king George v.

I would like to add to my comment on the Romanov pets, that I remember grand duchess Anastasia nikolaievna having a dog named Jimmy and I think it was this dog that acompanied the family to Ekaterinburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the "last Romanovs" had cats. Queen Alexandra also loved all sorts of animals and owned a few cats. In one bio I read that the current members of the BRF, apart from Princess Michael, don't like cats, but I don't know if that's true. At least I cannot imagine that really noone in this big family likes cats. ;)

Last edited:
Royal cats

In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!

Prince Rainier did not like cats. He had plenty of dogs though.

Sooo Nice Pets , I Really Liked Them , Thanx For Posting polyesco :flowers:

Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.

Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.

Which explains the adage: Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.

Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules.
Or you could say that royals want to have someone they can boss over, as a dog always does as his/her owner wants, while cats have a will of their own and don't do things that they think are silly, unless they feel like doing something, like playing fetch with a stick.

This is very true Meraude. A friend of mine has a cat that would without warning, scratch or bite someone for no reason. One time her cat came over to me, brushed its head against my foot and without warning bit me in the foot, looked at me in a defiant manner, and then ran away. A dog would rarely do that. A cat wouldn't care who you were, they would bite or scratch you.

Royals who are used to people and their pets obeying them probably wouldn't want to keep a cat who scratch them or bit them or didn't do what they wanted. It's also much easier to train a dog to obey than a cat who has a mind of their own.

Speaking of royals and pets I remember either reading or hearing a story about Queen Elizabeth being bitten in the hand by one of her cocker spaniels when the dogs were fighting with each other and she tried to break them up. This happened a long time ago I believe.

I am a passionate lover of both dogs and cats...I adore them equally but don't have a dog because I live in an apartment and choose not to leave it alone all day while I work.

Instead I adopted two feral, motherless kittens six years ago. They are brother and sister. They are now fat, spoiled rotten and make a mess but I don't care...they give me much more emotionally than I give them.

On the day my mother died a couple of years ago I was almost catatonic with grief and didn't leave my bed all day. I didn't eat. I didn't answer the phone. I just lay there and cried and cried. My cats parked themselves on that bed, one at my feet and the other on the pillow next to me and they didn't leave not once. They didn't even meow for food.They just sat and watched over me quietly even after it fell dark.

Dogs are loyal, true companions who-along with horses have been associated with nobility for years, but cats are also loyal as well as independent...with amazing powers of empathy and perception.

The myth that they are disloyal is......just a myth.

Last edited:
In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!

Do we really own cats??? :ermm: I don’t think so. I think they own us. I think they think they are the royals and we are their humble servants. :lol: And that is for me one of the reasons why I like them as much as I do.

In the book of Olivier Polet about the “Serres van Laken” there is a beautiful picture of a beautiful red cat.
And in the text they tell us that nobody knew where the cat came from. It just suddenly appeared. And it was there at all the receptions etc; it was probably the most petted cat by all royals and dignitaries

I like to be that cat for a while :D

Prince Rainier did not like cats. He had plenty of dogs though.

His sister HSH Princess Antoinette of Monaco did,infact she loved all animals I believe and attended the annual St Francis Day pet blessing service in Monaco each year.

How right you are !!!!!:ROFLMAO::):ROFLMAO::):ROFLMAO:

Aiko in Japan has a beloved cat !

I just imagine my cat, Gus (who has great social skills, a muscular physique and a too-great need to "play") meeting the Corgies. OMG. Gus means well but he tends to greet other animals with a nose sniff followed by a full body take down - which he means very playfully as "Hi, I really like you!"

LOL. One on one - Gus would win but two on one - the Corgis would be king! :lol:

Has anyone ever posted this from the HMS Vanguard when Elizabeth was 21: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/lifestyle-news/your-life/#5

Nice kitty!

Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?

Try this - it will be the 4th picture. There is also a lovely top view of HM. Not to mention that the cat is spectacular!
Revealed: The unseen pictures of the Queen as a 21-year-old princess - Your Life - Lifestyle - Coventry Telegraph

Seems like most royals prefer dogs over cats. Dog are loyal to their masters and cats do their own thing. Royals like a pet that are loyal to them and who obeys them and gives them attention. Cats aren't really know for obeying their owners.

MarNoe said:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Yes indeed. Our cat doesn't live with us; we live with him! Also he owns us, not the other way around.

Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.

Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?

That one worked!! Thanks!!

Wow...What an treasure trove to inherit. I'm glad they decided to share these w/the rest of us. :)

Back
Top Bottom