Royals and Staff Romance

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcra

Gentry
City
New York
Country
United States
I don't know if this is the right place for this question but...

Can a member of a royal family have a romance with someone from the staff?

What would be the reaction if a princess started dating a bodyguard?
Has that ever happened?

I was wondering if this situation would be possible or accepted...

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but...

Can a member of a royal family have a romance with someone from the staff?

What would be the reaction if a princess started dating a bodyguard?
Has that ever happened?

I was wondering if this situation would be possible or accepted...

Tim Lawrence was an Equerry prior to his marriage to the Princess Royal.

HSH Princess Stephanie of Monaco, had 2 Children Louis Ducruet, and Pauline Ducruet, with Daniel Ducruet who was her bodyguard, they even got married, and later divorced after a scandalous public adultery story on his part

Queen Victoria was rumored to have had a relationship (platonic??), with Mohammed Abdul Karim, known as "the Munshi", Indian attendant who served her during the final fourteen years of her reign

Prince Daniel of Sweden was Crown Princess Victoria's personal Trainer

Though only in name by that stage. Had Mark P not already fathered a child out of wedlock by then?

I think the Anne Mark marriage had been over for a long time.. but the divorce was cauased by his having a child and her love letters being stolen and winding up in the Press...

Though only in name by that stage. Had Mark P not already fathered a child out of wedlock by then?

Yes - Felicity was born in 1985, and they decided to separate in 1989, divorcing finally in 1992. Anne and Tim were exchanging letters in 1989.

Whatever else its clear Tim has been accepted into the RF and has made the move successfully from staff to family member.

Yes - Felicity was born in 1985, and they decided to separate in 1989, divorcing finally in 1992. Anne and Tim were exchanging letters in 1989.

Whatever else its clear Tim has been accepted into the RF and has made the move successfully from staff to family member.

Its hard to say. Perhaps they would not have married without the exposure of the affair in the way that it came out. It may have been a case that they were in love at the time and the affair had become public.. and the RF had to accept a marriage...

Last edited:
The Crown Princess of Sweden is married with her personal trainer.

thank you for the answers
I had not idea about Princess Anne and Tim!
I have a hard time thinking of her in a romantic scenario... she seems too practical for romance!
The only case I could think of was Princess Margaret and Peter and that didn't have a happy ending. Glad to have an example where it did work out...

And Daniel and Victoria!!! God I love them! I though she was the owner of the gym she went to... I think I love them even more now...

Then, of course, there is the much publicized romance between The Princess of Wales and James Hewitt. I believe he was hired to come to Highgrove to teach how to ride. It didn't end well. ;)

[....]

And Daniel and Victoria!!! God I love them! I though she was the owner of the gym she went to... I think I love them even more now...

He was the owner. Not she.
Why do you "love them even more now"?

The then Duchess of York and her financial adviser Mr John Bryan.

As far as I know, he both owned the gym and worked part time there as a personal trainer.

Not strictly staff, but Prince Carl Gustaf of Sweden met Ms Silvia Renate Sommerlath, a hostess via the Consulate of Argentina at the Olympic Games of 1972 in Munich, Germany. In 1976 Ms Sommerlath was deputy chief of protocol of the Olympic Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. Both as hostess as well as deputy chief protocol she was "staff" to the VIPS, amongst them a certain Swedish prince.

It's hard to explain but it makes her more "real" and open
I image it's hard for royals to be "down to earth" when you are surrounded by people who fullfil your every wish and knowing that even these kind of people can't help but be struck by love in a such "normal" situation.
I mean, you image princesses marrying princes or rich men, so when you see a princess falling in love with a "regular joe" it's so heartwarming...
I just feel that it's much more acceptable for princes to marry commonors and there are thousand fairy tales about it, but it's like the world sets different standard for women...
I'm not sure I am being clear... :D
I just kind it endearing... It's the romantic in me...

It's hard to explain but it makes her more "real" and open
I image it's hard for royals to be "down to earth" when you are surrounded by people who fullfil your every wish and knowing that even these kind of people can't help but be struck by love in a such "normal" situation.
I mean, you image princesses marrying princes or rich men, so when you see a princess falling in love with a "regular joe" it's so heartwarming...
I just feel that it's much more acceptable for princes to marry commonors and there are thousand fairy tales about it, but it's like the world sets different standard for women...
I'm not sure I am being clear... :D
I just kind it endearing... It's the romantic in me...

No any prince has married another princess or a rich lady.
The Crown Prince of Norway married a fellow Norwegian, a single mother who was parttime student, parttime working in a restaurant-café.
The Crown Princess of Sweden married a fellow Swede, a gym owner and personal trainer.
The Crown Prince of Denmark married an Australian who worked as a sales director of a real estate firm.
The Prince of Orange married an Argentine who worked for several Manhattan based investment banks.
The Duke of Brabant married a fellow Belgian, a noble, who worked as a speech therapist.
The Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxembourg married a Belgian, a noble, who worked for an investment company in Brussels.
The Prince of Wales married a fellow British, who once worked as a secretary before her first marriage.
The Prince of Monaco married a South-African, who was a professional swimmer.
The Prince of Asturias married a fellow Spaniard, who worked as news anchor for the Spanish public TV in Madrid.
The Crown Prince of Japan married a fellow Japanese, who worked for the Department of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo.
The King of Morocco married a fellow Moroccoan, who worked as an engineer in Rabat, Morocco.
The King of Jordan married a fellow Jordanian, who worked for Apple in Amman, Jordan.

None of these named partners is of royal blood. None of these named partners add great wealth, jewels, art, estates, influence, alliances or royal prestige to the dynasty, which was - for centuries- the raison d'être of royal marriages. That idea has been abandoned.

Last edited:
Then, of course, there is the much publicized romance between The Princess of Wales and James Hewitt. I believe he was hired to come to Highgrove to teach how to ride. It didn't end well. ;)

he was not staff, and I don't think he was "hired".. it was a favour to Diana because she wanted to try and get back to riding.

So far, it worked out for Princess Anne and her present husband. It ended badly for the King of Thailand and his previous wife (the one he married before his current wife) and we all know that it never worked out for Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend.

So far, it worked out for Princess Anne and her present husband. It ended badly for the King of Thailand and his previous wife (the one he married before his current wife) and we all know that it never worked out for Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend.

The daughters of George III, some of them fell in love with equerries of the Royal household, and in one case (P Sophia) had an affair which resulted in a child. but they met few other men, and it wasn't considered possible for them to marry men who were employed by the Royal house...

Princess Marianne van Oranje -Nassau (1810-1883), the youngest daughter of King I of the Netherlands and thus the youngest sister of King Willem II of the Netherlands, lived openly with her coachman and had a son from him.

Back
Top Bottom