Royals and Religion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Rania has just performed Umrah this week, she has done so before on several occasions.

Thank you for the information about the Malaysian and Moroccan RF's. I wasn't aware of their background.

do catholic royals attend processions like during the holy week?do u have pictures of them?thanks

le soleil said:
do catholic royals attend processions like during the holy week?do u have pictures of them?thanks
as far as I know the Spanish Royal Family goes to the Easter Mass every year in Palma but they are not part of the actual processions (I guess it's a security issue) but the siblings (Elena, Cristina and Felipe) did the Way of St James once together (in that pic you can see the shells that identify them as pilgrims)

Mari: I believe the British Royals are descended from the Prophet Mohammed.

wat about the belgian rf they are devout catholics right?do they own like statues of saints and the like?

Lord of Cowley said:
Wow.. I don't know why that fact is so fascinating to me.

Anita said:
I've heard or read one day that Princess Letizia was an atheist before she met Prince Felipe ...Does someone know more about it ?

:ohmy: ...and now??

le soleil said:
wat about the belgian rf they are devout catholics right?do they own like statues of saints and the like?

I dont know wether they like saintly statues or not but I believe they are members of the so-called charismatic movement. Some say they are close to opus-dei too.

prinses said:
:ohmy: ...and now??

It can be true because Letizia had only civil marriage with her first husband. If she was catholic she would marry him in the church. But I don't understand it. Did she meet Felipe and believe in God so quickly? On the other side it would be weird

Nouvelle said:
It can be true because Letizia had only civil marriage with her first husband. If she was catholic she would marry him in the church. But I don't understand it. Did she meet Felipe and believe in God so quickly? On the other side it would be weird

I read in a mag - I don't recall if it was Oggi or Gente - that Letizia married her first husband in a civil ceremony, because he was a radical communist or something like that...

Lord of Cowley said:

How are they

Nouvelle said:

I do not believe that she has changed her opinion, she just behaviors like a Princess of Asturias. Spanish Monarchy is a Catholic Monarchy, and Letizia respect this,

Funny thing :ROFLMAO: She was lucky to be atheist and to marry witha civil 1st marriage. If she had a 1st marraige in the Church, would she be allowed to marry Felipe, towards the Catholic Church???

Interesting point. Does someone have a clue???

What is the opinion of our Spanish friends??
Calorine was not allowed to marry Stefano Casiraghi in the Church, and her children were considered illegitimate, befire the annulation of her wedding with Philipe Junot

Elspeth said:
The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of Islam. There are claims that Eleanor of Castile, the wife of Edward I, was descended from the Prophet, although I don't know how much verification there is for the claims.

Ho thanks Elspeth, this is a fascinating information,

I've searched for her, hereunder the link, but long to verify.

Pedigree for Eleanor of Castile, Comtesse de Ponthieu

Thanks to Leo

Beatrixfan - I believe that you will find that christianity is a term that means a religion that believes in ONE god, and centered on the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. (see here) The Hebrew bible (or Torah) is what comprises the Old Testament of the King James bible, or the bible that all Christian religions follow.

Chrisitian religions encompass the following - Eastern Chrisitian, Oriental Orthodox, Syriac Christianity, Eastern Catholic,Western Catholicism, Protestantism, Anabaptism, Lutheranism, Calvinism, Anglicanism, Baptist, Methodist, Evagelicalism, Fundamentalism, Unitarian Universalist, Liberalism, Adventism, Pentecost, Latter-Day Saints, Christian Science, Jehovah's Witness, and finally Unity Church.

Thus whether just plain Protestant or Anglican the Queen is still a Christian. Furthermore, since the Church of England was dirived from the history of the Roman Catholic church, she is without doubt a christian.

The following is taken from Wikipedia:

There is a diversity of doctrines and practices among groups calling themselves Christian. These groups are sometimes classified under denominations, though for theological reasons many groups reject this classification system.[80] Christianity may be broadly represented as being divided into three main groupings:[81]

.... more here

Personally, I have issues with believing that the British Royal family is descended from Muhammed. I have just finished reading a short biography on every Queen of England since the beginning of the entire thing, and can find no where that implies that any Queen had eastern blood. At best, that would have come from a Spanish royal who had married a moor, but I can't find any record of that either. Or at least not one with connections to the BRF. If anyone knows anything different please let me know.

fandesacs2003 said:
I do not believe that she has changed her opinion, she just behaviors like a Princess of Asturias. Spanish Monarchy is a Catholic Monarchy, and Letizia respect this,

Funny thing :ROFLMAO: She was lucky to be atheist and to marry witha civil 1st marriage. If she had a 1st marraige in the Church, would she be allowed to marry Felipe, towards the Catholic Church???

Interesting point. Does someone have a clue???

What is the opinion of our Spanish friends??
Calorine was not allowed to marry Stefano Casiraghi in the Church, and her children were considered illegitimate, befire the annulation of her wedding with Philipe Junot
I am not a Spaniard but I am a Catholic. Letizia would not be allowed to marry Felipe in the Catholic Church if she was married in the Catholic Church for her first marriage. The first marriage would have to be annuled before she could remarry in the Church.

The Duchess of Kent is known to be a very religious Catholic woman. She joined the Catholic church several years ago. I remember it made news when she did it because the British Royal family are not Catholics. It was also reported that she was guiding Princess Diana during her troubles and she was considering joining the Catholic church as well. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

who's the most religious crown princess/Queen?

In my opinion, Princess Mathilde seems to have strong religious beliefs.

I think Princess Mary is a devout christian too.

About Queens: I read that Queen Sofia has a close relationship with God.

Last edited:
I think Queen Sofia is very religious.

Males: The Prince of Orange (already since his confirmation -and still- faithfully following bible class with his year-mates from university, including discussion- and reading weekends under direction of the Court Chaplain)

Females: Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, the Nun-Queen

Last edited:
How religious is Queen Margrethe? She seemed to have memorized the words to some of the songs at Isabella's christening, so I just wondered.

Males: The Prince of Orange (already since his confirmation -and still- faithfully following bible class with his year-mates from university)

Females: Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, the Nun-Queen

What religion is Prince of Orange?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg Maria Teresa is a very devout Roman-Catholic.

Henri M, do you know if Maxima attends catholic ceremonies (at Sundays, for instance)? Thanks in advance. :)

Males:
Willem-Alexander
Philippe

Females:
Queen Sofia
CPss Mathilde

Yes, the Princess did (and does) attend Roman Catholic ceremonies.

But, as ist the case for all Dutchmen and -women, also the religion of members of the Royal House is a private affair. The royal family has an own family-chapel at Het Loo Palace so we don't know what happens there at Sundays. In the 1950's and 1960's the present weekend retreat of the Queen was used as a meeting point for religious leaders and experts, to still the hunger and interest of Queen Juliana and her mother in religious affairs.

In Noordeinde Palace (the Queen's official residence in The Hague) there used to be a Russian Orthodox Chapel, build for Queen Anna Paulovna, by birth a Russian Grand Duchess.

In Huis ten Bosch Palace (the Queen's private residence in The Hague) there used to be an Anglican Chapel, build for Anne Princess of Orange, by birth a Princess of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal. Nowadays it is in use as one of the ballrooms.

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands are greeted at the Cathedral of Saint Bavo in Haarlem

Princess Máxima of the Netherlands attends Holy Mass in the Cathedral of the Saints Laurentius and Elisabeth in Rotterdam

Princess Máxima of the Netherlands reads the Holy Gospel in the family chapel at Het Loo Palace

Last edited:
Two very religious Queens come to my mind, Sofia of Spain and Fabiola of Belgium.

Don't think the younger generation was as devoted as some among the older generation and some monarchies put more emphasis on the issue than others, eg Spain or Belgium, see above. I believe Mathilde was already pretty much practising her belief but Letizia had to catch up a bit because the SRF is kind of a stronghold of catholizism.
Not sure about the Protestant Houses, they are a bit more tolerant, I believe, eg it's ok that Maxima remains a Catholic with the kids becoming Protestants.

Thanks Henri! :flowers:

I'm not sure who is the most religious.

QEII seems very religious. She attends Sunday service each week and has mentioned her faith in speeches.

Back
Top Bottom