Royals and Religion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There does appear to be a notable R.C. population in the Netherlands and their children should be aquainted with their beliefs and traditions as well.

From the CIA World Factbook 2006, the Netherlands:

No religion or religion not registered 41%
Roman Catholic 31%
Dutch Reformed 13%
Calvinist 7%
Muslim 5.5%
other 2.5%

The religion is not administered by the municipalities but in the churches and are voluntarily given as statistics to the Central Statistic Office. Therefore the big number of people not registered in any church: 40% simply is not registered in any church. (In many countries you see 70 or 80% Roman Catholic, but in reality only a fraction is a real church-visitor, of course).

Last edited:
A Question Of Prayers

Out of curiosity, does anyone here happen to know some of the prayers of kings, queens, sultans, etc.? I'm NOT trying to engage in controversy, because their prayes are a part of their respective histories.

Dave

There is a very good book, All Power and Majesty, by The Chaplain to HM The Queen, Donald Gray, which has prayers for Royalty and by Royalty, both ancient and modern, and all from the Christian tradition is the widest possible sense.

There is a very good book, All Power and Majesty, by The Chaplain to HM The Queen, Donald Gray, which has prayers for Royalty and by Royalty, both ancient and modern, and all from the Christian tradition is the widest possible sense.

You can buy this book from Barnes & Noble online- $20 ($16 if you are a member)
Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: All Majesty and Power, by Donald Gray, Hardcover

Or from amazon.com for $0.17 if I'm reading the site correctly
Amazon.com: All Majesty and Power: An Anthology of Royal Prayers: Books: Donald Gray

ETA: $0.17 for a used book...it says $4.00 for a new one

Thank you for the link! These sounds pretty good! :)

Vanesa.

Dear Vanesa

I read several times that Her Majesty Queen Fabiola of Belgium has a strong faith.

Why don't you write to her and ask her about the prayers she would recommend you ? She might be happy to advise you or at least I guess you'll get some answer of the Royal Palace ?

Best greetings,

FarahJoy

I read several times that Her Majesty Queen Fabiola of Belgium has a strong faith.

Why don't you write to her and ask her about the prayers she would recommend you ? She might be happy to advise you or at least I guess you'll get some answer of the Royal Palace ?

Best greetings,

FarahJoy

She and her late husband King Baudouin started each day of their married life together with The Prayer of St Francis(I read that in the Queen's bio)

Visit the Church of England website section on prayers, they have lots for The Queen and Royal Family

Does anyone know if Princess Maxima is still a practicing Catholic (i.e. where, if indeed she does, does she attend church each week)?

European Buddhists

Are there any European royals who practice Buddhism (either officially or unofficially)?

.... or any who are/were inspired by Eastern religions?

I remember reading about a princess but I don't remember her name. Can anyone help?

thanks!

catherine de Limburg Stirum, daughter of princess Helene d'Orleans, lived many years ago in a ashram near Bruxelles with her husband and their two children: Celeste and Orian and among their name, tibetans names

prince Dimitri of Serbia ( son of MP of Savoia) in an interview has said he followed the buddhist ways

Can we have a little chat about who the "religious" royals are? I"ll leave the definition of religiosity up to you. King Baudouin comes to mind. Who else?

Cheers!

Lady Bluffton

Beatrixfan - I believe that you will find that christianity is a term that means a religion that believes in ONE god, and centered on the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. (see here) The Hebrew bible (or Torah) is what comprises the Old Testament of the King James bible, or the bible that all Christian religions follow.

Chrisitian religions encompass the following - Eastern Chrisitian, Oriental Orthodox, Syriac Christianity, Eastern Catholic,Western Catholicism, Protestantism, Anabaptism, Lutheranism, Calvinism, Anglicanism, Baptist, Methodist, Evagelicalism, Fundamentalism, Unitarian Universalist, Liberalism, Adventism, Pentecost, Latter-Day Saints, Christian Science, Jehovah's Witness, and finally Unity Church.

Thus whether just plain Protestant or Anglican the Queen is still a Christian. Furthermore, since the Church of England was dirived from the history of the Roman Catholic church, she is without doubt a christian.

The following is taken from Wikipedia:

There is a diversity of doctrines and practices among groups calling themselves Christian. These groups are sometimes classified under denominations, though for theological reasons many groups reject this classification system.[80] Christianity may be broadly represented as being divided into three main groupings:[81]

.... more here

----
1. Wikipedia mentions Ferdinand II of Portugal, House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was the Grand Master of the Rosicrucians. Might other royals be interested in Rosicrucianism?

2. Besides the Swedish Royal Family, which other royal families are/have been Evangelical Lutherans? I believe some of the Prussian royals too.

Prince Hashem of Jordan, Q.Noor's second son, is said to be very religious. And not just superficially. I've read his faith got stronger after he married this Saudi princess.

I think the Luxembourg Royals are also religious.

The Luxembourg family is Catholic, sois the Belgian royal family from what I rerember reading

Is it possible CP Felipe is also agnostic/atheist and puts up a front since he's heir to the throne?

I find it quite possible Letizia is agnostic/atheist because of the look on her face when Pope came to Spain.

What look on her face?

Letizia doesn't seem very religious to me but I'd always thought Felipe to be at least somewhat religious. I mean he is going to be the leader of a Catholic country.

I saw a few pics of her having an expression as though she did not want to see the Pope or take part in the mass.

I think of Queen Elizabeth as being quite religious. The way she had conducted herself suggests this. The fact that she's 84 or 85 years old and seems to be in good health is another factor. Those who are religious tend to live longer than those who are not and they usually are in good health.

I think of Prince Charles as being somewhat religious. It's hard for me to see him as a future Defender of the Faith when he violated his marriage vows to Diana, although he has admitted what's he did and has moved on from there. This I will give him credit for as no one is perfect.

I think most royals are somewhat to moderately religious and pick and choose what they practice. Most believe in God or a Supreme Being. Few are what you would call very religious. Most keep their religious beliefs private (you don't hear them talking about it in public).

I saw a few pics of her having an expression as though she did not want to see the Pope or take part in the mass.

Oh. Yea I noticed those too but I thought you were referring to a specific look. :flowers:

I remember reading somewhere CP Victoria believes in God. Queen Silvia published a prayer book, and so did Mette Marit. And GD Maria Teresa is a devout Catholic.

Sikh Royals?

Are there any Royals connected to Sikhism?

Maxima and Mathilde come off as religious.Sofia,Margrethe,and Elizabeth come off as the most religious queens.

I know she's not a CP but,I wonder if Kate is religious.She along with William did write their own prayer at the wedding and it was very well written.

I think the most devout Crown Princely couples are almost undoubtedly Mathilde and Philippe of Belgium, along with Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg.

IMO, Mathilde is the most religious crown princess and Sophia of Spain the most religious queen.

How religious were Queen Victoria and Prince Albert?

Back
Top Bottom