The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Don't get me wrong...I am not an anti-Charles person. But I love the Queen, her stability, her sense of dignity and fairness. I love that she never publically whines or complains. I admire her courage. She just forges ahead no matter what life throws at her.

I cannot imagine Camilla taking her place as Queen. I simply can't.

But Camilla won't be taking the place of The Queen. She will be replacing Philip - the consort.

Charles will be replacing The Queen.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwaforem View Post
King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity
Oh yeah, I forgot about Baudouin. Add him to my list.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.
But you said that she would be replacing the Queen when she won't be replacing the Queen as that job will be Charles'. Camilla will be replacing Philip and using maybe the title of Queen or possibly Princess - we wait and see.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Commoner

I just learned in May about the wearing of white ( rather than black) in the presence of the Pope by the Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchy of Luxemboug because those countries are titled "the Most Catholic King/Queen of Belgium/Spain/ Luxembourg". All other Catholic "Houses" must still wear black ( Monaco for example). So I would guess that those would be very religious, as would any Protestant monarch who is a Head of the Church.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of Islam. There are claims that Eleanor of Castile, the wife of Edward I, was descended from the Prophet, although I don't know how much verification there is for the claims.
i have always found this fascinating there are many noble Spanish families who's ancestors were originally Muslims.
during al-Andalus and or were Muslim mercenaries hired by Christians during the reconquest and converted to Catholicism over time covering their Muslim roots Guzman el bueno the hero of the reconquest the founder of the Dukes of medina sidonia was a muslim so its quite possible that Elinore of Castile could have Muslim roots
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Mommabee I found that out when the current Pope was enthroned.
The three "white queens" were there, and Albert was there also, but in black.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Commoner

Does anyone know if there are many members of any reigning royal household who are atheists or agnostics?
I can imagine that would be a hard thing for any royal to admit, especially in the UK when the King or Queen has for centuries taken the role of supreme head of the Church of England and when historically the role of a monarch has been linked to the idea of the 'Divine Right of Kings'.

I can't imagine the likes of William and Harry being as religious as their grandparents but I do wonder if anyone became King or Queen of the United Kingdom (or any other country where religion has a certain political hold on the country) and they didn't believe in that religion or had never really considered it or taken an interest, would they still (out of duty) want to become head of the church?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Who has the right to be a "white" King/Queen I suppose is also a matter of culture and tradition. With no disrespect to Queen Paola, she is perhaps not the poster child for a devout catholic lifestyle, but that is OK, because I believe that ones religious believes are personal. It is not a competition.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Changing religion/faith upon marriage

It's not uncommon that a royal has to change his/her faith upon marriage, especially in countries which has a state church etc. I know that CP Mary of Denmark did, and those marrying the Greek princes has changed. In this regard I've had a discussion with a colleague. She claims that Queen Rania of Jordan was Christian before marrying. I don't think so, but my colleague and I are both head strong Anyone know? And if so, are there any trustworthy websites which I can provide as "proof"?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB View Post
In this regard I've had a discussion with a colleague. She claims that Queen Rania of Jordan was Christian before marrying. I don't think so, but my colleague and I are both head strong Anyone know? And if so, are there any trustworthy websites which I can provide as "proof"?
In this article about faith, from queen Rania's homepage, she mentions being a muslim from early age: On Faith series: Muslims Speak Out | Queen Rania
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
In this article about faith, from queen Rania's homepage, she mentions being a muslim from early age: On Faith series: Muslims Speak Out | Queen Rania
Thank you very much! It didn't occur to me to check the Queen's own homepage This should be proof enough in my discussion with my colleague

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Majesty

It was her mother-in-law (Princess Muna) who was Christian, not she.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
It was her mother-in-law (Princess Muna) who was Christian, not she.
And so was queen Noor.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
How religious were Queen Victoria and Prince Albert?
Queen Victoria: religious faith
PBS : Queen Victoria : Low Graphics Site : History : The Moral Crusade
Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Royal Church Attendance

I noticed there was a thread for QEII but what other royals attend church every week?

What about the younger royals, those born after about 1960?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Charles is probably the most deeply religious of the senior BRF royals IMO, after his parents. There are sometimes reports of he and Cam attending services at Craithie church near Balmoral. I do believe that the Duchess of Kent is very devout and gains comfort from her faith, and several of her children are the same.

As for the younger royals in the BRF, there are never any reports that they are regular churchgoers. There was controversy over William's irregular church attendance a few years ago. Kate was confirmed in the C of E shortly before her engagement, not before, so I would guess that they follow the vast majority of young and middle aged people in England and go sometimes at Easter and Xmas and for weddings and when duty calls.

I've followed Harry since he was nineteen. When he served on air bases there were reports from fellow service people on Twitter that he would sometimes quietly go into the chapel on base on his own.

However, like his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie, Zara and the Phillips, he's not a regular church attendee, as far as is known. And that's the crux of it, isn't it? Unless other people hang around taking photos of them on Sundays doing so, we will never know whether any of the younger royals attend church regularly, in the BRF anyway.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Most continental royals consider it part of their private life. In the UK it is not only the Queen, but also the Head of the Church of England who goes to church, so that role is more pronounced.

From the Dutch royals we know that as Queen, now Princess Beatrix, did attend services in the Kloosterkerk in The Hague but we have almost or never seen a picture of that. King Willem-Alexander and his family use the village church in Wassenaar but we have almost or never seen a picture of that. From King Willem-Alexander is known that his "confirmation class" of almost 35 years ago still regularly meets together to discuss the Bible, religion and related subjects together with the reverend minister of the royal family (who married him, who buried his father, etc.). From the Zorreguieta family (Máxima) their family priest, Padre Rafael Braun, played a role during the royal wedding in 2002 and recently in Vienna for Máxima's youngest brother's wedding. So there is a religious element in their lives.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Majesty

The Queen's churchgoing habits are validated in the public eye by her Christmas and Easter public attendances. It amused me greatly when a journalist reported how sad she must be to miss church and communion while she was ill.

The fact that most of their residences have private Chapels seem to escape them, as does the fact that there are 33 - 35 Honourary Queens Chaplains throughout the UK.

Having said that, we only know of the rest of the family's churchgoing habits in the same way. Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As for the younger royals in the BRF, there are never any reports that they are regular churchgoers. There was controversy over William's irregular church attendance a few years ago. Kate was confirmed in the C of E shortly before her engagement, not before, so I would guess that they follow the vast majority of young and middle aged people in England and go sometimes at Easter and Xmas and for weddings and when duty calls.
A small correction: Catherine was confirmed in March 2011; so not before her engagement, but during her engagement - in the month before her wedding. This does suggest that the church doesn't play a huge part in her life (nor in her family's life as she would have been confirmed at an earlier age otherwise).