Royals and Real Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol that was an amusing article. :)

A cup of tea??.. that's the easiest thing in the world!

I read that Prince Felipe paella's were famous when he was in studying in Washington.. and making a paella is not very easy.

There's another anectode about the Princes I don't remember for sure where were they, I THINK it was a center for handicaped people .. but the thing is that they offered an arroz con leche (a dessert) to the Prince and when they asked him how was it he said that it was better than the one that the Princess made.. so we now that at least she cooks arroz con leche..

They're a very down-to-earth couple.. IMO

Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa cook dinner quite often for their family.

The Infantas (at least Cristina, I don't know so much about Elena) are pretty normal as well.

Rania and Abdullah both spend alot of timed with their kids, cooking etc. Moreover, Abdullah is well-known for hosting large barbecues for friends and family.

That Royalist article is total rubbish. Of course Prince Charles can make a cup of tea for himself. Not only have his various servants told us that he makes his own breakfast sometimes (Paul Burrell said that he makes his own tea and toast most mornings) but anyone who couldn't even make a cup of tea would have to be well and truly daffy. Honestly, does the Royalist only exist to publish little digs at Charles?

BeatrixFan said:
That Royalist article is total rubbish. Of course Prince Charles can make a cup of tea for himself. Not only have his various servants told us that he makes his own breakfast sometimes (Paul Burrell said that he makes his own tea and toast most mornings) but anyone who couldn't even make a cup of tea would have to be well and truly daffy. Honestly, does the Royalist only exist to publish little digs at Charles?

I total agree with you !! they really like having a go at Princes charles !!

Tabloid gossip!:bang:
I totally agree with BeatrixFan!
It´s the same kind of story like the one of the six eggs ... ( they wrote that the Prince gets very morning six eggs, different minutes cooked, to choose one for his breakfast)!
They publish reports like this only to paint a bad pic of the Prince!

I think that it depends on what you mean by "real life". Märtha Louise and Haakon had chores growing up, same as any kid - but Märtha Louise admitted in her biography that her previous lifestyle had led to trouble when she suddenly was supposed to be able to read the time-tables for trains - because she'd always had someone else to read and plan that kind of stuff for her.

King Juan Carlos once said that Queen Sofia can't cook. (I can't remember where I read it). Also, I know that I've read how The King likes to cook for his family on 'Christmas Eve'.

I don't think Prince Charles is incapable of making a cup of tea though, I mean it's not exactly rocket science! :ohmy:

...sOfIa.... said:
I don't think Prince Charles is incapable of making a cup of tea though, I mean it's not exactly rocket science! :ohmy:
True, but if you've always had your tea delivered to you (without the tea bag in the cup) & you have never seen a tea bag before you might not realize that you have to put the bag in the hot water.

I think its perfectly possible that Charles doesn't know how to make a cup of tea. My father after 50 years of marriage didn't know how to make a sandwich. When he was young, his mother made it for him and when he married his wife made it for him. There were no servants in the house and we definitely weren't royalty.

In all fairness though, the story could mean that Charles never used teabags. Some people just spoon the loose tea in the bottom of the cup and pour boiling water over it.

True, but come on! I think Charles is very capable of making tea. Even if he didn't know how, I'm sure there are instructions (I haven't needed to read them) that will tell you how. I think that is kind of absurd.

ZandraRae said:
True, but come on! I think Charles is very capable of making tea. Even if he didn't know how, I'm sure there are instructions (I haven't needed to read them) that will tell you how. I think that is kind of absurd.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Except there usually aren't instructions on the teabag itself rather they're on the box.

LadyK said:
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa cook dinner quite often for their family.

The Infantas (at least Cristina, I don't know so much about Elena) are pretty normal as well.

Don’t mean to sound arrogant. What follows is a rhetorical thought.

I have given this some thought. It seems that when royals marry commoners, they appear more attune to middle society. It's a shame that it appears so difficult for royals to do otherwise. Makes me wonder whether their service with the downtrodden is sincere or just a photo op?

At the same time, there is no point having royalty if a royal or crown prince/ss marries unequally even if their pair is rich. You don't have to live in a castle to be a good royal or set an example. In fact, many might find modesty more noble. And if they do marry unequally, they should forfeit all rights and benefits. They should not feel sorry for themselves because they can’t marry for love. I do not advocate marriages of convenience, but they simply cannot have it both ways. What makes their lineage that follows any more royal than the commoner. At least in the case of celebrity, their action is marketable and they don’t live off the state of trade on their name. The same would be the case for people from very wealthy families.

Today it appears that royals serve very little real purpose and republicanism will not prevent them from doing good works or interfere with royal scholarship. This thought does not address whatever value royalty has in provoking fantasy.

Last edited:
Daniel Ducret said princess Sephanie was an amazing cook and that they usually argue about typical things, the up-bringing of their children eg: TV or not.. junkfood or not..etc..etc.. that makes steph look a pretty "normal" and down-to-earth person..

I personally think we would be quite surprised how much some of these royals do for themselves. Yes, I'm sure there are some very spoiled ones but at the same time I can't imagine that many born royals like Charles, Victoria, and Frederik(just to name a few) have never felt a desire for some independence and went and made a snack for themselves or done other things for themselves. Sorry but I just can't imagine it.

Like others have already mentioned I've heard Q. Rania talk of the King's barbecues and I've seen pics of Q. Rania baking with one of her daughters.
I've also seen pics of Prince Harry making toast or actually it looked like he was trying to catch the toast in the pic.

My personal favorite was the one of Prince William cleaning a bathroom when he was in South or Central America (in the year between school and college).

Interesting topic! I once read in a book comparing Diana and Jackie Kennedy,
about why they were/are so loved and the public was able to identify with them. In the P. Diana section a detailed family history was given. Although, Diana's background was obvious very privledged and her upbringing certainly wasn't typically of the everyday person, the point was made that in many ways she experienced things that P. Charles and the royal family never did. Her family may have been wealthy but she was allowed to play accompanied with her friends, and go into town on her bike. Whereas P. Charles & the BRF would not have gotten to experience such normal things (i.e. the Queen does not ever go to the grocery store to buy food to cook for her family, an aid does all that sort of stuff)

With regards to if P. Charles can make tea...i think he probably has put the tea leaves into the cup and pour hot water into in the mug. However, who would probably be the one to boil the hot water and bring the tea leaves to him from the kitchen--an aid

Last edited:
I would put another sense to P. Charles words about teabag. Being in his shoes I would not use teabags, never (!), but only high quality leaf tea prepared according to classical tea procedure. There is a big difference, IMO between tea leaveas and tea powdre. I guess his words could mean: " Teabag? For ME? " One way or another I quite often meet people who think that offering them teabag instead of notmal leaf tea show mere lack of respect... It is something about traditions accepted in England and in many Asian countries, for example, China... The same thoughts come to my mind when I go to geusts. I am sorry, but i's just "mauvais ton". ;)

LadyK said:
My personal favorite was the one of Prince William cleaning a bathroom when he was in South or Central America (in the year between school and college).

I remember seeing those pictures!, he was in Chile and he did a lot of social work there, building and reparing bridges, cleaning bathrooms, carrying material..

Harry has done a great job in Africa too.

It seems that the boys want to follow their mother steps'!

This forums are quite entertaining but the thing is not monarchy but what type of monarchy. Monarchy is based in Divine Right, the so called constitutional monarchies is something that democracy will end.
There is much more interest in royalists to return to monarchy, than in the princes of the royal houses. They only want to live a normal life, without the gigantic responsibilities and risks, including assassination and kidnapping, of being kings or emperors again.
Modern life can be so pleasant for a Borbon, Habsburg, Wurttemberg, etc, with nice technological inventions and Maseratis, yachts..and without so big risks as to be killed by a fanatic, as happened to Franz Ferdinand, Sissi, Charles of Portugal, etc.

Sorry, digging through really ancient posts.

I read 'I didn't know what to do with the little bag' as 'they didn't provide me with a saucer to put it on,' as one wouldn't really want to use the saucer for the actual teacup to hold the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom