Royals and Employment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princess olga

Serene Highness
City
san francisco
Country
United States
[font=&quot]I've always been fascinated by the question/topic what ('secondary') royals--i.e. siblings of Crown Princes/Princesses-- do for a living. In other words, members of royal families who do something unrelated to anything having to do with being royalty.

For example, I know that Prince Constantijn, the youngest brother of Crown Prince Willem Alexander of the Netherlands, is a consultant/advisor for a high-caliber political thinktank in Brussels. Middle brother Friso, meanwhile, earns an honest pay check working for TNO, a Dutch research institution.

Wives Mabel and Laurentien also have jobs, as director of billionaire George Soros's charity institute/lobby group, and communication advisor, respectively.

Other royal families have working members, too.
*Pavlos of Greece for example is in finance, (but what do his siblings do for a living?)
*Viscount Linley, princess Margaret's son, is a furniture maker.
*Sophie of Wessex used to own her own PR company.
*PEter Phillips works in marketing for a Formule 1 racing team I believe.
*Dutch princess Marilene works for AHOLD in marketing I think.

Can anyone fill me in about other royals with jobs? What, for example, do Spain' s infanta's do for work? How about Belgium's prince Laurent? Others? Would love to hear!
[/font]

yes I would love to know what prince Felipe's sisters do for a living. I know they do work, but what exactly I haven't the faintest idea! Would love to know!
Also, what about CP Frederik's brother Joachim? he should have enough time to go take a job, no? Does he actually have one? Does anyone know?

More British Royals Who Had/Have Everyday Jobs. . . .

The Earl of Wessex, before the Queen had him retire from public jobs, worked with Andre Lloyd Webber in the theatre and had his own televison production company, Ardent.

Sarah, Duchess of York worked for a Public Relations Firm before marriage. Now her job is promoting Weight Watchers and her various books.

Lady Sarah Chatto, daughter of Princess Margaret, is a professional artist. Her husband, Daniel Chatto, is an actor.

The Duke of Gloucester was a professional architect before having to leave his job to resume royal responsibilities.

Lady Helen Taylor, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, worked for an Art Gallery. (don't know if she still does).

Princess Diana is Kindgarten Teacher asst before she married to Prince Charles in 1981

Sara Boyce

Thanks, Tiaraprin! Wow I didn't know that Chatto, princess Margaret's son in law, was/is an actor! Any movies/plays he's been in? Is he good at his craft?

And Lady Helen Taylor, I actually remember now, is or was also a spokesperson for fashionhouse Armani, although I'm not sure if this is just a representative every-once-in-a-while gig, or a day job.

Also someone I didn't mention is India Hicks, granddaughter of Earl Mountbatten, prince Charles's beloved uncle. Hicks works as a model from time to time.

Oh yes that's right, Sara! Lady Diana, as she then was, worked with children. Judging from how she got along with her own offspring, she must have excelled at her job! (Ah, how I miss that woman!)

In case of the Spanish

The Infanta Elena (who studied teaching) is socia together with two friends of a garden gives infancy where she gives English lessons. Her husband Jaime of marichalar is an adviser of several companies as Wintherthur or the group LVMH.

The Infanta Cristina is employed at a bank, where she deals with the organization of the social activities. Her husband Iñaki, was for many played years professional of handball (obtaining medals in world and Olympic), and now he devotes himself to the management of sports questions.

princess olga said:
Also, what about CP Frederik's brother Joachim? he should have enough time to go take a job, no? Does he actually have one? Does anyone know?
He is a farmer....he seems to love farmer thing...he has farmland and sells the farm product in the market (I'm not sure it it just for local market only or also for export ...does some one know about it?)

what about Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall? before she married to first husband Andrew and they later Prince Charles this year

Sara Boyce

Märtha Louise of Norway is educated to be a physical therapist, but hasn't worked as one. Her career, outside of the royal engagements she takes on, consists of story-telling, writing books and promoting them.

These were some of the less obvious ones I could think of:
Viscount Linley -- woodworking and sales;
Viscountess Linley -- artist (paints and sculpts);
Earl of Snowden (Linley's father and Princess Margaret's ex) -- photographer;
Earl of Litchfield -- photographer;
James Ogilvy -- runs a luxury magazine;
Julia Ogilvy (his wife) -- founder and chairman, Project Scotland;
Duchess of Gloucester -- former secretary;
Duchess of Kent -- music teacher;
Prince Joachim of Denmark -- farmer
Countess of Ulster (married to son of Duke of Gloucester) -- doctor;
Princess Michael -- interior designer and writer;
Marina Ogilvy (Mowatt?) -- musician and composer;
Duke of Kent -- former soldier;
Prince Michael of Kent -- former soldier;
Sir Angus Ogilvy -- former soldier and businessman;
Crown Princess Pavlos -- clothing stores and a line of clothing

Princess Clothilde of Savoy -- actress;
Yasmin Pahlavi -- lawyer;
Princess Rym -- former journalist;
Queen Sofia of Spain -- former nurse

Crown Princess Mette-Merit, waitress

lula, thanks! I wouldv'e never guessed Elena as a teacher! And Christina working for a bank..with that sporty husband of hers, I would've guessed she'd be doing something in the sports field..something outdoorsy. do you happen to know if they like their jobs?

galuhkandrakirana, that's so fascinating, Joachim a farmer. It seems fitting somehow. What an original he is! Maybe that explains the divorce a bit better? I can't exactly see sophisticated, urbane Alexandra as a farmers wife! ;)

Thanks Norwegianne: I'd actually forgotten about Martha's 'original' profession of physical therapist. Interesting she decided she didn't want to pursue a career in that field after all. Do you happen to know why?

---

Iowabelle, you created quite a list! Thanks!

It seems to me that there are many royals with artistic tendencies! I didn't know viscountess Linley is a sculptress.

One has to wonder though, is that kindof a daily hobby-type-of-thing or is she really serious and makes a paycheck out of it? Same question by the way for prince Joachim of Denmark for example. Can he live off of what he reaps from 'the land' so to speak? LOL, as a farmer he should be eligible for some nice European Union farmer subsidies!

And off topic: who is the Earl of Litchfield?

princess olga said:
lula, thanks! I wouldv'e never guessed Elena as a teacher! And Christina working for a bank..with that sporty husband of hers, I would've guessed she'd be doing something in the sports field..something outdoorsy. do you happen to know if they like their jobs?

Since I imagine that if, they have chosen them. The Infanta Elena studied teaching, so I imagine that she is charmed with the children and she likes her work.
The Infanta Cristina works for a bank, but in the departamente of social questions and charitable of the bank, before I believe that culture was employed at the area. I remember that a few months ago she travelled to áfrica to visit one of the projects.

Lula, it seems especially Christina has a very interesting job! I wonder how she manages to combine a job with a lot of international travel with all those kids of hers! Well possibly her husband can chip in a bit too. And they probably employ a nanny or two also. Do you happen to know more about her job? what's the title for example and does she manage a team, or .. (if you don 't have time to answer I'd understand :)

Sara, that's a good question as to what Camilla has done career wise. I have to admit, I haven't the faintest idea! Anyone know?

princess olga said:
Thanks, Tiaraprin! Wow I didn't know that Chatto, princess Margaret's son in law, was/is an actor! Any movies/plays he's been in? Is he good at his craft?

And Lady Helen Taylor, I actually remember now, is or was also a spokesperson for fashionhouse Armani, although I'm not sure if this is just a representative every-once-in-a-while gig, or a day job.

Also someone I didn't mention is India Hicks, granddaughter of Earl Mountbatten, prince Charles's beloved uncle. Hicks works as a model from time to time.

This is what I found when I searched on his sirname at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0154192/ It seems his acting career has come to a stop...

princess olga said:
Sara, that's a good question as to what Camilla has done career wise. I have to admit, I haven't the faintest idea! Anyone know?

I have never heard of Camilla having a "job"! It seems to me that she went from debutante to waiting around for Andrew Parker Bowles to decide to marry her, to a stay-at-home-mother, who lived in their country house while Andrew's career in the army took him overseas and around. I think when Andrew was in England, he mostly lived in London and came home on the weekends.

Of course, she is an excellent rider and hunter, and those skills had to have taken up some of her time. And being a mother at home with children too. Maybe she did some charity work?

What an interesting topic, Sara.

KikkiB said:
This is what I found when I searched on his sirname at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0154192/ It seems his acting career has come to a stop...

Isn't it ironic that he had a part in "Charles and Diana: A Love Story"??

Kind of like Catherine Oxenberg being cast as Diana (although they had to have known she was Prince Charles' distant relative).

"Isn't it ironic that he had a part in "Charles and Diana: A Love Story"??"

LOL it is! How clever of Dan Chatto! I wonder if that's why he got cast for the role, as some sort of ironic decision by the casting folks?

and as for Camilla..I guess it was pretty common, back 'in the day', for girls of her background, to 'horse around' while waiting for that husband to emerge. I mean, what did for example princess Margaret ever do work-wise? Margaret's kids seem extremely creative and artistic, but perhaps that's from their father's side.

by the way, kikki I love your avatar of Hobbes! :)

princess olga said:

India Hicks is also a professional photographer. Her father, David Hicks, is an interior designer (He is married to Lord Mountbatten's daughter Lady Pamela). The Countess of Mountbatten's husband, Lord Brabourne, works in television and was key in the making of the 1960's documentary "The Royal Family."

Death of David Hicks

tiaraprin said:
India Hicks is also a professional photographer. Her father, David Hicks, is an interior designer (He is married to Lord Mountbatten's daughter Lady Pamela).
tiaraprin, make that a "was"; David Hicks died in March 1998 after a long battle with cancer.
W

Warren said:
tiaraprin, make that a "was"; David Hicks died in March 1998 after a long battle with cancer.
W

Oh thank you, I forgot.:( So many facts to remember, sometimes one slips your mind!!:confused: :confused:

princess olga said:
"Isn't it ironic that he had a part in "Charles and Diana: A Love Story"??"

LOL it is! How clever of Dan Chatto! I wonder if that's why he got cast for the role, as some sort of ironic decision by the casting folks?

and as for Camilla..I guess it was pretty common, back 'in the day', for girls of her background, to 'horse around' while waiting for that husband to emerge. I mean, what did for example princess Margaret ever do work-wise? Margaret's kids seem extremely creative and artistic, but perhaps that's from their father's side.

by the way, kikki I love your avatar of Hobbes! :)

Actually, he might have been in Charles and Diana before he even met Sarah (they met in India while he was working on a film project).

Margaret was very active in the arts. She was patron of the ballet before Diana (although Diana actually went to rehearsals and practices and even took classes), took her children to museums and stately homes to look at artwork, associated with many artists (Margot Fonteyn, Nuryev, Elton John, among others); played the piano very well, sang and could do fantastic impressions of people. I have heard that she might have enjoyed a stage career if she hadn't been royal. So, Margaret had a great deal of influence on her children's artistic gifts. The children were also very influenced by the Queen Mother, and Lady Sarah was influenced by Prince Charles' painting.

I also heard Linley say on TV that his father used to do something that would embarass him and Sarah greatly. Their father would take impromptu fieldtrips through the country -- just drive up to stately homes unannounced and ask to see their works of art (and people would let them in!).

Must be great to have famous or accomplished relatives who can give you a boost in your future career!

I also heard Linley say on TV that his father used to do something that would embarass him and Sarah greatly. Their father would take impromptu fieldtrips through the country -- just drive up to stately homes unannounced and ask to see their works of art (and people would let them in!).

Must be great to have famous or accomplished relatives who can give you a boost in your future career![/QUOTE]

Lord Snowdon did that?? That is hilarious!!!!:p :p :p

I'd agree with Linley on that myself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom