Royals and Employment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Joachim of Danemark, the King of sweden's son ,Ernst-August of Hannover, Peter Philips, the Duke of York, Jean and Guillaume of Luxembourg, Archiduke Karl of Habsbourg working Princes ?.
In Belgium the only member of the RF who is working is Prince/Archiduke Lorenz.
I remember to have read, some time ago, that in Belgium a law forbid to the Members of the Royal Family to work...is it possible?

i would imagine that there are as many (percentage-wise) unemployed pinces/princesses as there are unemployed scions of of wealthy families. all of them have inherited some amount of money. enough to live off certainly. enough to live like a prince, pobably not, at least not without continued cash or houses from the head of the family. for example, princes andrew and edward are paid by their mother for their royal duties, except for some recompense for certain government-tied jobs (andrew's foreign business ambassador gig).

i think a lot of it has to do with personal ambition. in the cases of royalty, i think there is some extra motivation from public expectations not to look like they are sitting around living off public taxes. (in the cases of scions of wealthy families, i think there is some motivation to live up to your father/mother's deeds.) i think a lot has to do with the amount of public pressure. so princes william and harry are expected to have jobs (not just party), while princess caroline's children don't do anything.

yes, what the kids from Caroline do? the only thing i see the party all the time, do anyone of them studies?

We jealoes the Dutch RF whose members are working. It is not forbidden at all in the Belgian RF to work .. Prince Laurent should have a job because we are paying for the minor royals.

Ok, I'm sorry, I was badly informed...

yes, what the kids from Caroline do? the only thing i see the party all the time, do anyone of them studies?

Well Pierre is in Law school in Milan , Charlotte has gotten back in to show Jumping/Equestrian she was just in Valencia competing and she won some prize money, Before that she had a internship at the 'Independent in London she wrote 1 or 2 articles . Andrea is in NYC not sure what he does .

Hope that helps

Well Pierre is in Law school in Milan , Charlotte has gotten back in to show Jumping/Equestrian she was just in Valencia competing and she won some prize money, Before that she had a internship at the Daily Mail in London she wrote 1 or 2 articles . Andrea is in NYC not sure what he does .

Hope that helps
thank you for the information Pieere looks that it is doing something for a good degree, Charlotte looks thst she does not need to do anything Andrea is the one with the rich girlfiend form southamercia????

Well Pierre is in Law school in Milan , Charlotte has gotten back in to show Jumping/Equestrian she was just in Valencia competing and she won some prize money, Before that she had a internship at the Daily Mail in London she wrote 1 or 2 articles . Andrea is in NYC not sure what he does .

Hope that helps

Pierre is studying economics not law at Bocconi University in Milan ( very prestigious business university his father studied there too) Charlotte was working in London as an intern for a magazine or newspaper, not the Daily Mail it was more upmarket than that. Andrea apparently graduated from the American University in Paris and was doing some post-graduate study ( International relations?) Very vague information on him so may not be factual. Pierre and Charlotte's studies and work are far easier to keep track of.

(andrew's foreign business ambassador gig).
Andrew doesn't get paid for the Trade and Industry job he does, his income is just what he receives from his mother for being a fulltime royal.

Last edited:
Joachim of Denmark runs a farm and has an agricultural business, he's the only member of the Danish royal family to pay taxes ( on his farm and business income).
Carl Philip of Sweden is currently at agricultural college as he too has inherited a farm. He has worked as a designer and photographer.
Peter Philips works for the Royal Bank of Scotland ( currently in the sponsorship division in Hong Kong)
Jean of Luxembourg works in Paris ( and has always worked there) in banking.
The Duke of York was in the British Navy for 20 years (and was paid a naval salary) he's now a fulltime royal.

Thank you, I didn't know that Prince Joachim paid taxes on his farm. I did know that he gets a "salary" from the Danish government, however his wife Marie does not. Mary & Fred both get an individual salary. Does Princess Benedikte also receive an income ??

I suppose a lot of them not directly related to reigning families hold some sort of a job. I highly doubt it though that any of them is the 9-5 person five days a week with 4 weeks vacation.
They may hold jobs in banks or auction houses and other establishments purely for the public relations side or the clients they can cultivate through their connections.

We jealoes the Dutch RF whose members are working. It is not forbidden at all in the Belgian RF to work .. Prince Laurent should have a job because we are paying for the minor royals.

I'm actually rather pleased that Prince Lorenz works and supports his family and that he and Princess Astrid raised each of their children to know that they must work for a living.

Additional working royals include....

Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (brother not son of GD Henri)
Prince Félix of Luxembourg has worked at GCMSA for several years now.
Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Archduke Imre is working as a translator in Madrid, I believe.

I think Prince Nikolaos works in his father's office (and had worked for Fox Television and a British Bank prior) and his brother Prince Pavlos has a hedge fund. I doubt either work 40 hours/5 days a week but they do hold a job.

As a matter of fact, I seem to recall Prince Nikolaos doing an interview about how Princes "have to work" for ABC right before the wedding of Prince Frederik. As he said "Of course, I have to work..I mean how [do I live otherwise]?"

How do unemployed Princes live if they don't marry into wealth?

Does the Royals have paid jobs?

I have always wonder if the Royals have paid jobs, i heard about princess Magdalena from Sweden about something like that but some other Royal does have any paid job?

I think all of the ruling families are paid by their governments. Their duties vary from country to country.

As a general rule, so far as the BRF is concerned, once a Royal become an 'official' working Royal' [which I define as someone in receipt of Civil List or equivalent payment [i.e. Duchy or Conwall moneys / 'reimbursement by the Queen'] they either cease any work they may have or [if not yet working] do not seek out a paid career.

An armed forces career can be followed if you are in receipt of a Civil List or equivalent:

After his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh continued his naval career. The Duke was stationed in Malta, and the coupled moved to Malta where he was stationed at the time. The received wisdom was that Prince Philip would have continued with his Naval Career for quite some time....except of course, his plans were curtailed and his career cut short by the unexpectedly early death of King George, the Queen's father. The Duke's son Prince Andrew continued to serve in the Navy for several years. The Duke of Kent was an Army Officer during the early stages of his marriage [from memory]. And of course, Princes William and Harry are currently serving in the Armed Forces; they receive their Service salaries and also an allowance from the Prince of Wales [who is entitled to revenues from the Duchy of Cornwall]

Anything other than an armed forces career seems to end in near-disaster;Prince Edward briefly worked for Andrew Lloyd Webber and then started his own tv production company, Ardent. This was would up as it proved not to be very financially lucrative, but also encountered controversy, when the Press were all banned from St Andrews just after Prince William began at University there....but one cheeky film unit remained...........to the fury of the Palace, and then to the embarrasment of the Palace, when it was found to be operated by.....you've guessed it, yes, Ardent Productions owned by Prince Edward....

Sarah Duchess of York was no stranger to controversy during her marriage when she both sold interviews to the Press [unheard of for the BRF on both accounts] and also did photoshoots for 'Hello' [allegedly to earn money to save her mother's ranch in Argentina, although of course we have no way of knowing whether that was true or not] and of course she wrote her 'Budgie' books for profit.

The Princess Royal, whilst not technically in full time employment enjoyed a very time consuming equestrian career during her marriage, when she somehow managed to combine a heavy Royal workload with Olympic standard riding [which in turn involved some commercial types of transaction - selling competive horses for profit etc. She now hosts a financially lucrative Horse Trials at her country home Gatcombe Park, altough arguably this is linked in with the farming side of the business rather than for her own personal profit.

The Prince of Wales runs the Duchy of Cornwall on a commercial basis to raise the funds for his Royal duties etc and also his personal expendiure; however, the money raised from his 'commercial' Duchy Original foodstuffs business is actually used to finance his charities...

Prince and Prince Michael of Kent are not officially working members of the RF although they do undertake their own engagements; Princess Michael writes books and lectures for profit and is/was a Director of an Art firm; she also ran her own interior decorating business during the early stages of her marriage. Prince Michael of Kent has his own financial interests, some of which are based in Russia.

The Countess of Wessex memorably tried to run her own PR business during the early part of her marriage; this ended in scandal when she was caught out by the so-called 'Fake-Sheikh', a newspaper reporter working undercover who posed as a 'client' and managed to make Sophie say indiscreet things about the BRF and politicians and also suggested that any person hiring her PR company could therefore 'trade on her Royal Status'. You can guess all the trouble that this caused, with the result that BP then announced that both Sophie and her Husband would now work full time 'for the Royal Firm'.

Princess Alexandra started to train as a nurse at one point but did not complete her training; the present Duchess of Kent has been a music teacher in recent years.

This is all I can think of at the moment 'off the top of my head'.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
The two younger brothers of Prince Willem Alexander both have paid jobs.
Friso is an extremely clever man. He did two studies. He worked as a banker but I don't know what he is doing now. He lives in London.
Constatijn worked in Brussels but I believe he lives and works in London know.
The sons of prinses Margriet all work, they all live in Holland.
I am very surprised that it seems to be impossible to have a "normal" job for an english royal ( reading the stories of prince Edward and his wife, but also price Andrew).
Is it because of the press, their own stupidness, the type of work??
Having said that both the sons of queen Beatrix live abroad.

From memory, Prince Andrew's naval career finished because he had served all the years of his intended commission - in other words, it expired because of effluxion of time. Although reputedly not very academic, the belief expressed in the newspapers was that Prince Andrew was an adequate Naval Officer.

I think that the reason that members of the BRF tend not to work is more a question of custom-and-practice. I should have mentioned that the Duke of Gloucester was a successful architect and no doubt would have continued his career except for the fact that his elder brother William [who was of course in line to succeed to the title] was killed in an aircrash [a sports event IIRC]. Until that time, Prince Richard [as the Duke of Gloucester was at that time] as a 'younger royal son' was not expected to have a Royal Career - just like Prince Michael of Kent.

Sometimes, I think that lack of qualifications is a reason why some members of the BRF would not be able to hold down a career [i.e. that did not depend on their royal status] particularly in the case of female members. Diana, Princess of Wales memorably failed to achieve a single 'O' Level. This was a national exam in many subjects and I have seen her lack of success described in an American Magazine as 'Diana was a high school drop out'.

Sarah, Duchess of York achieved 6 'O' Levels and attended a well-know private secretarial college [Queen's] in Kensington, London. This college is now defunct; entry requirements were minimal - bascially ' Could your father meet the College fees?' The former Sophie Rhys-Jones acheived both O and some A levels [an exam for 18 year olds] but did not achieve sufficiently high grades to enable her to go to university, although her career path was always going to be Secretarial through choice; she then moved to PR, her career move [from Secretary to Principal] being achieved just as her friendship with Prince Edward became widely known!!

The new generation of Royals [William, Catherine, Beatrice and Eugenie] are all either university graduates or intending to be, so yes, in one sense the BRF is becoming better educated and could obtain some form of 'employment based on their qualifications rather than their position'.

Viscount Linley, although technically not a member of the Royal Family, trained as a skilled carpenter craftsman; he now runs an upmarket/upscale furniture making business, known as Linley, and headquartered in Pimlico, London but acts as Chief Executive rather than craftsman nowadays. When the Queen goes on tour, she instructs the Foreign Office to buy from Lindely, thereby helping boost her nephew's business.

Some years ago, one of the tabloids produced CVs [Resumes] based on the known acheivements of BRF members, and using their exact education, qualifications, work record and ages etc and then submitted these CVs BUT UNDER FALSE NAMES to various employment agencies. From memory, the Princess Royal and Diana were given the 'existing occupation' as 'Charity worker' to reflect the charitable roles undertaken by these ladies. The result was that no Royal managed to secure any interest whatsoever, other than Sarah, who was offered an interview for work as a barmaid, her secretarial skills being considered 'too rusty' and also unexceptional [she apparently came last of her class at typing and shorthand at College] to gain her work as a Secretary.

Alex

Last edited:
I think that it's all of the above. The press is vicious in the UK and looks for every possible opportunity to bring a person down. Work that's public, such as in media or public relations, opens a person to criticism. A prince or princess would have to be enormously discrete and work "behind the scenes" not to get into trouble with his/her work, I think.

Is it because of the press, their own stupidness, the type of work??

Royals who work in the Fashion world and Entertainment industry

It seems that many royals work in the entertainment industry and fashion world. Who are they?

Can royals have a job? They are already patrons of charities and organizations plus if they did I know the press would be all over them.

Full-time British royals can't, in practical terms, have other work. They commit themselves to charitable and enabling roles and these would take priority. The civil-list is given to them to cover the cost of carrying out that work, not as a salary.

Others with a royal connection do work:- Peter and Zara Philips; the Gloucester children have worked/still work (not sure if the daughters continued to work after marriage); same with the Kent children; Lady Gabriella Windsor and Lord Frederick Windsor.

The UK press are not interested in the non-fulltime royals (with the exception of Zara because of her sporting achievements) so they never got hounded or followed by the paparazzi.

When the Duchess of Cambridge worked for Jigsaw, apparently just getting in and out of the building for all staff was near to impossible because of the press outside.

And keeping the work secret - in these days of mobiles and the willingness of the press to buy pictures and ignore privacy, I think that is next to impossible.

Can royals have a job? They are already patrons of charities and organizations plus if they did I know the press would be all over them.

Full-time British royals can't, in practical terms, have other work. They commit themselves to charitable and enabling roles and these would take priority. The civil-list is given to them to cover the cost of carrying out that work, not as a salary.

Iluvbertie just created a new thread about the number of engagements royals do, and I think Charles is on top with 160 something. Whilst I agree that they do a lot, if they really had a passion for an element of "normal life" they could pursue it.

It depends upon if the royal has enough finances. Prince Edward and Prince Andrew of Great Britian do have to find extra sources of income so they do work. The Monaco Grimaldi's don't have that problem because Prince Rainier and Princess Grace left a fortune to their heirs.

Royals with jobs

Hello, everyone!

Some days ago I was talking with my daughter-in-law, who is a staunch Republican, and she said that Royals do nothing, and they're a wast of taxpayers money.

I said to her that the work the Royals do is very important to their countries, and that, actually, some of them have "real" jobs.

Which Royals have jobs? What they do for a living?

The late Prince Pedro Henrique, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, was a farmer.

The late Princess Maria Elizabeth, Imperial Consort of Brazil, was a voluntary teacher for poor children.

Prince Antônio of Brazil is now retired, but her worked as an engeneer. He is also a painter, his paintings were exposed in Brazil and Europe.

The late Prince Pedro Luiz of Brazil was an economist, he was working in a bank in Luxembourg.

Prince Rafael of Brazil is a engeneer of production. He works for a great company in Rio de Janeiro.

Princess Amélia of Brazil works as an architect in London.

Princess Isabel of Brazil is a retired social worker. She was the President of the Brazilian Red Cross.

Princess Alix of Ligne is an engeneer. Her Highness is currently working in Rio de Janeiro.

there are many royals that contribute their time and connections to a large number of very worthy causes. one that comes to mind immediately, and one I admire greatly is Princess Basma bint Talal, of Jordan, who works tirelessly with a large number of organizations, most having to do with the betterment of conditions for women and children in the world. I see her name pop almost daily regarding one meeting or another. what a lovely lady.

Not many "famous" Royals work, but there are many out there who do have other employments.

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, was a (albeit not overly successful) TV producer until 2002. His wife, Sophie, was a PR Executive until 2002 as well.

I am sure Princess Martha Louise works as well, but I could be wrong. Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York are trying to get full time jobs.

Prince William serves as a search and rescue pilot with the RAF and Prince Harry is an apache helicopter pilot with the army.
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentine of The Netherlands both have jobs as did Prince Friso and Princess Mabel until the Prince's skiing accident.
Prince Felix of Luxembourg did work full time (and now i think works part time) in the marketing department of a Swiss sports and a cultural company.
Prince Lorenz of Belgium worked in the banking industry for many years and is now a director for several similar companies. His eldest son Prince Amedeo is now working in New York for Deloitte while Prince Lorenz other children are still studying but will almost certainly go into work when they are old/qualified enough.
I'm sure there are many many others

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York are trying to get full time jobs.
Princess Beatrice has it.

All Windsors without HRH style have "real" jobs.
Royals with HRH style and full-time jobs are William, Harry, Beatrice and the duchess of Kent.

Prince and princess Michael of Kent earn a living from commercial enterprise.

Prince Richard of Gloucester was a practicing architect under the name Richard Gloucester before succeeding to the dukedom. He came in for criticism from other architects because they felt he would get jobs from people who wanted to say they had a royal working for them. Given that he was then and remains one of the least known royals the criticism doesnt seem valid.
Beatrice and Eugenie currently have jobs and are not working royals.
Michael of Kent has had a few corporate directorshipssince leaving the army as has his wife who also writes books and lectures.
The Duke of Kent was a Colonel in the British army.
Military service seems to be one of the few acceptable jobs for male members of the BRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom