Royals Against Hunting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mar

Commoner
City
alkmaar
Country
Netherlands
Which royals are against hunting?

Queen Sofia of Spain is completely against any sort, including the spanish tradition of bullfighting as is her daughter Infanta Cristina I think?? :ermm:

hunting

I don't know or Christine is also against hunting.
Her sister does like it.
Does Phelip and letizia like it?
It's so terrible

I don't recall Cristina ever going to bull fights, I don't think she likes it. Elena does however, and also the King. Felipe and Letizia went to a bull fight ones together, but I haven't seen them go eversince, so perhaps they're not the biggest fans either. I sure hope they're not, its a terrible thing :sad:

Sofia and Cristina are the ones who don't like it all and Sofia is a vegetarian (well she eats fish, but I can't remember the correct term for it) I think Cristina is a vegetarian also, I may be wrong :ermm: JC and Elena are fans of it and can be seen watching the bullfights.

As for Felipe and Letizia, they appeared at a bullfight once, but I think I read that it is customary before the wedding! JC and Sofia went to one also. Perhaps someone could enlighten us on that??

Queen Sofia and Infanta Cristina

...sOfIa.... said:
Queen Sofia of Spain is completely against any sort, including the spanish tradition of bullfighting as is her daughter Infanta Cristina I think?? :ermm:
Good for them! I'm glad they are not afraid to to take a stand:clap: :clap: :clap:

Does Henri and Maria Teresa like hunting?
I hope they don't like it

The British Royals love hunting: both shooting and fox hunting. They were furious when the labour government banned hunting with hounds.
In Britain, hunting and country sports are very a way of life for the aristocracy and Royalty.

Where I live it is a big thing. Especially this time of the year. Deer, turkey, you name it. I have never been, but have friends who have. And I think it is better when the game that they kill, they eat it. Not just for mounting or whatever.
As for the British, I have heard that even the Princess Royal has participated. Can anyone confirm this?

Princess Anne will have gone out with the hunt at least once. I have a few pics of her in hunting gear so yes, she's hunted.

It'a pity that so many Royaltys like hunting.
Alexander and Maxima like it too.
Does somebody know or Henri and maria Teresa of Luxembourg like hunting?

I think it is wonderful that our Royals in Britain support our wonderful traditions! Kings have always hunted deer and game birds in England and I think it is important that they carry on these traditions.
I can't wait for fox hunting to be made legal again!

servingsophie said:
The British Royals love hunting: both shooting and fox hunting. They were furious when the labour government banned hunting with hounds.
In Britain, hunting and country sports are very a way of life for the aristocracy and Royalty.

As I understand it, nobody from the royal family made any comment about the the labour government finally doing the right thing and banning this cruel and unnecessary pastime!

Hunting down, on horseback, a fox, (the size of a small dog) and watching it being ripped apart was 'enjoyed' by all sections of the population and was not solely for 'aristocracy and royalty'.

It was never 'a way of life' for all members of the aristocracy or royalty, IMO. :rolleyes: Goodness the next thing will be to say that it was something all country dwellers or those born in the country enjoyed. :rolleyes:

Most of the royals do enjoy shooting but, as the majority of the birds, are not for their table, it seems a bit gladitorial!

...sOfIa.... said:
Sofia and Cristina are the ones who don't like it all and Sofia is a vegetarian (well she eats fish, but I can't remember the correct term for it) I think Cristina is a vegetarian also, I may be wrong :ermm: JC and Elena are fans of it and can be seen watching the bullfights.

As for Felipe and Letizia, they appeared at a bullfight once, but I think I read that it is customary before the wedding! JC and Sofia went to one also. Perhaps someone could enlighten us on that??
I think a vegetarian who eats fish is called a pesca vegetarian,my sister-in-law has been talking about becoming one lately-it sounds good to me!

With the Spanish Royal Family:
It is traditional to go to bullfights. But many Spaniards (and many others, me included) think it is a horrible event. There is one bullfight in particular that the king always goes to every year. I can't remember when or which it is. (maybe someone could back me up with info or pics on this one) King JC always goes and sits in the royal box. Q Sofia never goes, as she hates it. (She is also an adament vegetarian) I don't remember ever seeing la Infanta Cristina at a bullfight. (she is also a vegetarian) I'm pretty sure Elena and Jaime go to them, though.
Whenever the king is unable to attend an event, the Prince of Asturias fills in (and normally, only one of them can be out of the country at the same time- but that's a sidebar point). That's probably why he's been there. However, as far as I know, Felipe and Letizia both eat meat, and I don't know if they have issues with bullfights. However, they both have been smart enough not to bring Leonor to one yet.
If any of you have been to a bullfight, you'll understand. If you haven't, imagine it's like hunting, but where there is no where to run to, and either the bull or the matador have to die. Or both. It is gruesome, and bloody, and well.....disgusting.

servingsophie said:
Even though they can't hunt with dogs anymore, the queen still has some hunting dogs (I'm referring to breed here). Since she's a dog lover, she probably didn't want them to be destroyed.

The British RF still go hunting every year at Balmoral. It may even be a part of their holiday celebrations. It is a big part of their family time.

LadyK said:
Even though they can't hunt with dogs anymore, the queen still has some hunting dogs (I'm referring to breed here). Since she's a dog lover, she probably didn't want them to be destroyed.

The British RF still go hunting every year at Balmoral. It may even be a part of their holiday celebrations. It is a big part of their family time.

They are called Hounds.

The royals would not chance hunting in Scotland either (where it was banned before England and Wales), it is illegal both sides of the border!

They do shoot at Sandringham but, I don't think it is fair to call that hunting. Most of the birds that are shot, were released a few days before the shoot and then beaten (chased) out of the area, they had settled/hidden in. Most estates breed them, in cages, then release them through the season for the paying guests or visitors to shoot.

Penny Lane said:
I think a vegetarian who eats fish is called a pesca vegetarian,my sister-in-law has been talking about becoming one lately-it sounds good to me!

Yes, you are right and a pollo-vegetarian is one that eats fowl! :flowers:

Does Henri and Maria Teresa like hunting?
I hope they don't like it

Henri lists hunting and fishing among his official hobbies on the court site. Only Louis mentions an interest,but his is in shooting not hunting.

I think it is wonderful that our Royals in Britain support our wonderful traditions! Kings have always hunted deer and game birds in England and I think it is important that they carry on these traditions.
I can't wait for fox hunting to be made legal again!

And no one is stopping them from hunting birds and deer. They simply cant use hounds to kill (they can be used to flush out). Fox hunting is barbaric, it isn't hunting in any sense (the dogs do the killing) and I pray it is never legal again.

I don't think Prince Charles shoots any more and hasn't for several years, though he still fishes. His sons do but I read that their father stopped, whether for ethical reasons or boredom with the sport, or arthritis in his shooting shoulder or what, I don't know.

It says in that article though that he hadn't been seen with a gun or in a shooting party since 2008. I think it must have been two or three years ago that I read that Charles had stopped. If it leaked that he had stopped shooting and that was for PR purposes, to boost his environmental image, then no wonder Charles was annoyed when he was spotted.

I think it might more be that he's mostly stopped being photographed while hunting, and doesn't do the big more public hunts that his sons still do.

If I remember correctly, the DoE has stopped hunting for health reasons - he had to stop shooting after he was fitted with a stent in his heart because doctors were concerned the blow back from a gun would disrupt it (or something to that extent, I can't find the article that I read about it).

And no one is stopping them from hunting birds and deer. They simply cant use hounds to kill (they can be used to flush out). Fox hunting is barbaric, it isn't hunting in any sense (the dogs do the killing) and I pray it is never legal again.

Deer have to be culled to conserve both the vegetation and the species of deer, it is a government requirement for estates to remove a certain number of stags and hinds each year. If this practice was halted, over breeding would cause devastation to the natural vegetation and the herds would ultimately starve to death in huge numbers. The beasts are selected for stalking by gamekeepers or ghillies, who are aware of the age and health of the stags. This way, they can ensure a humane end to their lives in the case of the weaker deer, who may not otherwise survive the coming winter. Deer stalking is absolutely a question of conservation, despite the popularity with foreign businessmen and oligarchs, who pay vast sums for the chance to participate in the cull and in so doing, contribute to the tourism industry in more remote parts of the UK.

As for fox hunting, hounds are no longer allowed to be set on the fox for the kill, but rather a huntsman is required to dispatch the fox cleanly. It depend which side of the fence one sits. Some would also consider the gratuitous murder of livestock by foxes, who kill in many more numbers than they mean, or are able to consume, to be barbaric. Farmers still have to kill foxes as part of pest control, whether or not they have been chased from their covert by a field of mounted hunters or not.

Last edited:
I don't recall saying I had a problem with deer hunting. I am more than aware that it is used for conservation.

I called fox hunting, and by that I mean the sport where people ride horses and have dogs tear apart the foxes, barbaric. Foxes are not barbaric, they are animals, they act on nature and instinct. Barbaric is a conscious act of savage cruelty. Animals lack the conscious capability of that. Yes, foxes kill livestock, and yes farmers have every right to protect their animals and kill them if needed. That is not the same as fox hunting (the sport).

Countessmeout, my description of the culling of deer was not directed at you specifically, but in response to your having mentioned it, to the readers generally.

Murder of livestock is cruel and foxes destroy in far greater numbers than simply to sustain their own lives. That current practice of hunting requires the clean and swift dispatch of foxes, rather than a violent death from the hounds. Many of the hunts in the United Kingdom practice drag hunting, where the hounds and field follow a trail of scent laid down over the hunt country. This provides exercise for the hounds and horses and helps preserve this traditional aspect of rural lifestyle.

Though she hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Princess Michael of Kent has made no secret of her fondness for hunting but as with most, it is more for the thrill and challenge of keeping up with the field and accompanying the pack, than the pursuit of foxes.

This is an old Story and not against hunting who was popular at that time.
Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Luxembourg went to a hunting in Belgium, incognito.
When the went back to Luxembourg the weather was that bad that they decided to sleep in a Hôtel à la Barrière de Champlon. (Ardennes)
They entered a hotel, they looked a bit dirty and were refused for the night.
They went to the hôtel at the other side of the road and were accepted.
To the first Hôtel they send a Card with the compliments of Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duchess and the Prince of Luxembourg !

Last edited:
Foxes do not kill multiple times to be 'barbaric.' It is a proven fact that, if they have the time and leisure to do it, they will bury the excess carcasses and come back to uncover and eat them when they are hungry again. Rather like you buying in bulk at the supermarket. It isn't only squirrels who bury food. Lots of birds do it, leopards store carcasses in trees and hence the traditional scenario of dogs burying bones. Caching food is a common survival strategy. Animals wouldn't think to be 'cruel.' That is a human trait.

I signed a petition asking Prince Harry to give up hunting. The petition mentioned that he failed to go on the Boxing Day shoot at Sandringham because Meghan asked him not to go. I love this girl more and more!

It's funny how everybody thinks Meghan has to do a lot of adapting and compromising now she has decided to marry her Prince. However it is not as one-sided as people might imagine. She has already, so it's said, got her fiancé to quit smoking, now it looks as though hunting has stopped too.

I really hope it is true. There are plenty of fun outdoor activities that the royal men can partake in besides hunting. Polo, skiing (no need to go abroad, the UK does have one ski resort at Aviemore in Scotland, not that they cannot afford going to Switzerland etc), golf, surfing, which William and Harry like to do.

If they really like to shoot there's target shooting, clay-pigeon shooting and even paintballing.

Princess Diana didn't like hunting, so it would be great for Harry to honour her memory by giving it up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom