Royal Websites & Social Networking

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except, he doesn't own that social media handle. The example you used has an ownership issue.

Bottom line is, Instagram has put into the agreement that they can do this, and he agreed to it. So I'm not understanding why it's so against human decency? And really, all this over a social media handle. Media contacted him and he spoke because he's having his fun with his 15 minutes of fame. He hasn't used the Sussexroyal twitter account since 2014, and now all of sudden he's using it again. Why? Because he seems to be enjoying this a little. And really, good for him. There is a reason why sometimes people advise against direct contact in certain situations, and let third party, like attorneys, handle it. It might be nothing, but you just don't know. Handle it by the book. And really, just because journalists are contacting him does NOT mean it's a big deal. :lol: Especially given some of the stuff that's been published in royal world.

And really, if we want to talk about ethical issues on this type of thing, we could go all day. Especially considering the situations where people demand unreasonable amount of money for a social media handle just because they think the other party can afford it when it would have no value if that counterparty isn't interest. Bottom line is, he had an agreement with Instagram. And Instagram does see the benefit of giving priority to official accounts certain handles. Don't like it? Feel free to walk away.

if you go into the “tweets and replies” section you can see he used the twitter account to post a reply in July 2018. So obviously the twitter account has been active. And I assume so did the IG in the same manner.

So if the royals use lawyers, why didn’t the lawyers send an email?

It is a sort of ownership may not be a physical one but certainly an emotional one (I’m gonna admit I have an IG account, which is dormant right now, for my previous career, it took me days to choose the name, I have been unable to delete the account partially because of tang reason).
Honestly, considering which family these two belong to, it’s actually the most logical move!, have the lawyers contact him. This may not be a major optics issue like her sister or the 500k on clothes or the people article followed by the baby shower and social media posting about it by her friends... but when it comes on the heels of all of those . Seriously? I’d imagine they’d want to avoid ANYthing that can create bad optics, even the smallest one.

Like Kevin himself said: could have just emailed me and requested the name.

And yes he may also having a bit of fun, but he did say clearly he was a bit announced he was not contacted and asked. So I think he is annoyed (likely more at IG) which is why he is doing his best to make sure his twitter account name won’t be taken from him too.

This entire thing imo is poor planning on behalf of whomever handled this at Harry and Meghan office, and show a lack of logical thinking and maybe poor organizational skills and decision making skills. Jmho.

Last edited:
This is all too dramatic for me over a social media handle.

If you are so attached to it and it hurts you? Don't agree to give it away in the terms. It's quite easy. It's not as if they deleted anything. He still has whatever he put on there. It's in a handle that's close to what he created, but clearly in a form that is a lot less official.

So if the royals use lawyers, why didn’t the lawyers send an email?

When I used lawyers as an example, it's more as in general terms. But why would lawyers send an email? He doesn't own it. They obviously worked with IG on this. No one knows if they used lawyers or not on this, but they would've been advised on the terms and how to properly proceed. It's enough of intermediary. You don't go and muddy the water. It can create a bigger problem than originally is.

Last edited:
Another article about the account change.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47813521

At the end of the day it's not a big deal, but I do understand why the original holder of the name was a little annoyed that the handle was taken from him. Especially since the account wasn't dormant and he was using it to like posts and follow other accounts. Instagram should have at least contacted him and let him know they were changing the name.

Instagram & Twitter are two separate social media companies. The individual companies have no say in what usernames are allowed on any other company. In most cases, when famous people (and regular people too) create social media accounts, they usually choose a name that is available on all platforms but sometimes that is not the case. Also, neither Twitter, and most certainly not Instagram, can make changes to the twitter handle of an individual account without user consent. So nobody has been making changes to the account besides the user himself. Instagram has no obligation whatsoever to contact users from Twitter to tell them someone is using their same username. That person is clearly looking for attention.

Instagram has no obligation whatsoever to contact users from Twitter to tell them someone is using their same username.

Correct. But this isn't about his Twitter account. The name change was for his Instagram account.

Last edited:
Same with the username, it was his account, active or not, they should have made contact, explained the situation and would have gotten their answer.

I’m just saying, put yourself in this man shoes. He may not be overly upset, but he obviously was upset enough to comment about this to the BBC, and on his account
I lost my inactive facebook accounts twice and I survived ? This whole story is ridiculous

There is no backlash, because what Harry stated is precisely what most parents and professionals state. Social media can be a tool used for good, however, there are dark sides to it. Again, I call it a cesspool because of how people treat each other and how addictive it can be. However, there are great aspects of it, and like all things in life, it should be done in moderation.

I think what reporters are now fearing is that they can quite literally become obsolete because the royals can now get their message out without much need for the "middle man". That's a social media tool, and I'm sure most royal watchers are not sitting around on twitter and instagram around the clock, however, when they get a notification that The Royal Family has tweeted something or uploaded something to their instagram, is when they get most of the news. I have to say that I now barely pay attention to what's written in the papers because it's mostly trash or embellished in some way. I want to support the royals and their causes without some biased reporter putting their own spin on things, and social media helps me to do just that.

Just not good to take one small part from someone's complete speech and fuss about it. :whistling:

Last edited:
Jan Moir? LOL. Okay.

Jan Moir said something negative? Hardly a backlash. Just another Thursday. :lol:

But honestly, in all seriousness, social media can be a great place and have allowed us to accomplish a lot of good that wouldn’t have happened otherwise. There is good in it. The recent #globalsussexbabyshower is an example of how it enables people who wouldn’t otherwise know each other actually come together and do something good. While I realize such efforts can be done in person, social media certainly has made it easier and widespread. But it does also come with its own baggage. The fact that BRF has to put out a policy on their platforms is a clear example of it. And obviously, there is the component of human interactions offline being ignored.

Jan Moir getting [...] to type vitriol stopped being backlash. Everyone has got to put the Sussexes in their articles to generate revenue. I for one won't be clicking on her rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a pointless article since everyone, including most Royal Families and their members use some form of social media and indeed Harry's speech has been referred to out of context.

I agree. To put things into perspective, its like the saying "money is the root of all evil". It isn't. Its the love of money that people harbor that causes greed and other negative problems in life. Same with social media. Its solely dependent on how a person uses it. We've seen both sides of the coin when it comes to Harry and Meghan from the nasty vitriol expressed and the astounding reaction to their social media account which is unprecedented and resulted in wonderful support and donations to the causes they support.

The conundrum lies in the fact that with social media everything a million miles away is right next door but also presents the possibility of being isolated in a global community. The trick is to have balance and as been said before, used in moderation.

Now this is sad, A friend told me the Kevin guy who originally had the Sussexroyal username has posted that he has been getting harassed and abused on his twitter account - and is now thinking about closing it.
I hope this reaches Meghan and Harry. Perhaps they can write something on the IG account about the abuse this man is getting from some sections of their fan base, simply because he won’t give the name. I think it will be a very kind gesture on their behalf, and will be another way for them to show that they are truly serious about online bullying on anyone and not only when it directed at them.

What doesn't make sense to me is that, as far as I know, there has been nothing stating that H&M have any intention whatsoever to have their own Twitter site. Why then would Kevin have to give up his name he's using there?

From what I read from Kevin himself, it seems that he's a bit miffed he wasn't asked about the IG name but took it all in stride. If people are jumping on this being nasty and harassing towards a Twitter user, its Twitter's responsibility to handle it and not Harry and Meghan. They're on IG, not Twitter. ;)

I don't get why he is miffed. He didn't have an Instagram account. Its not like he has a claim on 'sussex royal'. There are plenty of people with similar handles, why you see things like numbers added to the end of them.

Most people seem to think that if they have an IG account, its logical they will also have a twitter account. Considering they used to through KP, it is a logical jump but a jump at that. Even if their staff is now under Buckingham palace, it makes sense they would have their own social media. But if they take that next step, there are other twitter handles to use other then taking Kevin's.

I don't get why he is miffed. He didn't have an Instagram account. Its not like he has a claim on 'sussex royal'. There are plenty of people with similar handles, why you see things like numbers added to the end of them.
Actually, he DID have an Instagram account named sussexroyal, which was changed to _sussexroyal_ by Instagram, now with the underlines, without Instagram as much as informing him of the change. That's what it all is about. He has an ADDITIONAL Twitter account, which still is SussexRoyal.

My take? I am a staunch supporter of net neutrality, which also means: first come, first serve. And if a username is already taken: your bad luck. And that should hold true for everyone. Even Royals.

best wishes Michiru

He did have an Instagram account. Sussexroyal was his account before it was taken over by the Sussexes.

He also uses that name on Twitter, but he tweeted today that he may shut down his account because of the constant abuse he's been getting.

Now this is sad, A friend told me the Kevin guy who originally had the Sussexroyal username has posted that he has been getting harassed and abused on his twitter account - and is now thinking about closing it.
I hope this reaches Meghan and Harry. Perhaps they can write something on the IG account about the abuse this man is getting from some sections of their fan base, simply because he won’t give the name. I think it will be a very kind gesture on their behalf, and will be another way for them to show that they are truly serious about online bullying on anyone and not only when it directed at them.

They’ll address it the same way as other royals have addressed the abusive part of their fan base.

Btw, while some like to be angry with Harry and Meghan on having the IG handle, Kevin himself isn’t actually upset with them at all. Nor does he think Harry and Meghan lacked any decency or owe him anything.

As an active user of various social media platforms; there are both positive and negative sides to social media but people, regardless of whether they come from the digital generation or not, have to accept that technology and social media is a way of life in the modern era and will be a part of every child's growing up, because most children will be exposed to some form of social media in their lifetime, even if they aren't allowed access to it at home (they'll have to use it for schoolwork or will see a friend using it at some point). A lot of people who aren't familiar with social media because they grew up without it are generally more "afraid" of it than those who aren't, simply because it's still quiet an alien concept to them and is not part of their generation's culture. Whilst the internet does make more young people at risk to issues such as predators and grooming/being exposed to age-inappropriate or mental health damaging material, there are equally, and perhaps more so, many positive experiences that come from being logged in.

I've made many friends through the internet myself and am due to meet one of them in real life soon, and have educated myself on many social and political issues as a result of social media and have become much more open-minded than I was before I used Twitter, Instagram etc. The internet has helped me during times of loneliness and severe depression and has done for many others too.

They’ll address it the same way as other royals have addressed the abusive part of their fan base.

Btw, while some like to be angry with Harry and Meghan on having the IG handle, Kevin himself isn’t actually upset with them at all. Nor does he think Harry and Meghan lacked any decency or owe him anything.

Actually, he did say that while he is not mad at Harry, he was upset at the lack of decency from not IG and the royals in not contacting him and requesting to take over the username, you can (believe it or not) still like a person but point out when they’ve acted in a less than decent way.
The fact is that any staff member of the couple who has been in charge of this is acting on the couple behalf and with permission at the end of the day; so any responsibility for this is Harry and Meghan as they are the staff immediate bosses. The fact that IG behaves in the way they did is just as bad.
Why the rest of us are upset? Because this is another example of how a major corporation is willing to cater to the requests of the wealthy and powerful at the expanse of the little guy. Whether or not he was regularly using his account should not be part of the conversation.

The fact that some of Harry and Meghan fans are now treating this man (because he won’t give up his twitter account and dared to speak out loud about this) in an way that would likely cause them to be blocked from the Sussex social media account.

Well so much for predictions KP would lose followers after the split with Harry and Meghan. KP Instagram is up to 8 million. A gain of 800k

Meghan started new initiative for the month of august https://www.instagram.com/p/B0mUoLvlaj9/
For the month of August we look to you for help. We want to know who YOUR Force for Change is....(...)

Over the next few days please add your suggestions into the comments section: someone you look up to, the organisation doing amazing work that we should all be following, an account that inspires you to be and do better (or that simply makes you feel good), or the handle that brims with optimism for a brighter tomorrow.

We will choose 15 accounts and follow them next Monday, as we spend the month of August acknowledging the Forces for Change in all of our lives.
More https://www.marieclaire.com/celebri...arkle-prince-harry-force-for-chang-responses/

What do you think? Which royal website should be renewed and why? What should be changed?

IMO two websites should be renewed. The websites of the Danish Royal Family and the Belgium Royal Family.

At both sites should be a video archive.

For the Belgium site I think it will be good if there are more pictures (with Eleonore, Aymeric, Nicolas, etc.)

Yeah i also agree with you its want more pictures for Eleonore, Aymeric, Nicolas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom