Royal Voices & Accents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking for videos of the young royals voice, I remenber I watched a video of Elisabeth during her first speech in 2011, a video of Amalia singing, a video of Ingrid Alexandra interview with her dad for a program and a video of Leonor speaking to the journalists on her first day of school.
Can't find anymore any of the videos, not only those above, but it would be lovely to hear the voice of more young royals.
I wonder what voice Leonor has now, what voice Christian, Isabella, have, etc...

I thought of creating a thread for Young Royal voices, but I thought it wouldn't be allowed since there's already a thread for Royal voices.

Last edited:
I was looking for videos of the young royals voice, I remenber I watched a video of Elisabeth during her first speech in 2011, a video of Amalia singing, a video of Ingrid Alexandra interview with her dad for a program and a video of Leonor speaking to the journalists on her first day of school.
Can't find anymore any of the videos, not only those above, but it would be lovely to hear the voice of more young royals.
I wonder what voice Leonor has now, what voice Christian, Isabella, have, etc...

I thought of creating a thread for Young Royal voices, but I thought it wouldn't be allowed since there's already a thread for Royal voices.

I found the video of Princess Amalia singing:

The Voice of Holland: Princess Amalia - YouTube

You can hear Princess Isabella during the first little bit of this video (CP Frederik also speaks):

Frederik with Christian and Isabella at "Find your way in Denmark" (2012) - YouTube

Here is Princess Ingrid Alexandra's interview:

Kronprinsen og Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra besøker Julemorgen - YouTube

Last edited:
Amalie has a good singing voice! Adorable. I haven't heard of Elisabeth's voice yet. Leonor's voice is really sweet.

As for the grown ups! I love Kate's voice, posh and the accent is cute. Mary's is also well. But I have to say that I love Marie's voice most! Her voice is super sweet.

Amalie has a good singing voice! Adorable. I haven't heard of Elisabeth's voice yet. Leonor's voice is really sweet.

I'd like to hear what Elisabeth sounds like as well, I wonder if there's a video of her speech somewhere online. I checked on YouTube (not very carefully, though) to see if I could find it but unfortunately it wasn't there.

What about Andrea Casiraghi? His voice?

Sent from my Huawei-U8687 using The Royals Community mobile app

Can someone post Andrea Casiraghi :-D

Sent from my Huawei-U8687 using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it. Mary was born and raised in London, often at court (she was born at Kennsington and Victoria and Edward VII were among her godparents). Her mother was British and most of the people around her like nannies would be as well. She may have picked up some from her father but not likely much. They did spend 3 years abroad, including Italy when she was a small child.

Last edited:
I am not hearing a German accent in the few words Queen Mary says at the QM launch but in the Empire Day Message some of her words have a German/continental tinge, although admittedly I don't have a finely tuned ear.

Queen Victoria and her children had German accents but English was Victoria's children's first language with the German accent coming from them being surrounded by Germans or Brits with German accents. I can see a similar phenomenon occurring with Mary of Teck, but I would not be surprised, ironically because she was a German princess, if she was less immersed than Victoria's children.

Another possibility is that her "accent" was just the royal/aristocratic accent of the time - some Americans from the Northeast region of U.S. spoke with a slight English accent up until the early part of the 20th century.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if the Duke of Teck spoke in German when conversing privately with his wife and family. He may well have done. If he did a slight tinge may have remained with his children. One of Queen Mary's brothers was GG of Canada I believe. Don't know if there are any recordings of speeches he made there though.

It would be interesting to know if the Duke of Teck spoke in German when conversing privately with his wife and family. He may well have done. If he did a slight tinge may have remained with his children. One of Queen Mary's brothers was GG of Canada I believe. Don't know if there are any recordings of speeches he made there though.

Yes, Mary's youngest brother Alexander, the Earl of Althone, was GG of Canada. Carl Gustaf's parents met at the wedding of his daughter interesting enough.

I am looking but I haven't found videos of him.

Last edited:
That was interesting, thanks. I thought I heard a faint Germanic tinge when the Earl said 'to' or words that began with 't'. Of course it's rather hard to pick up on and it might be just the way aristocrats spoke who were brought up in the 19th century. Funnily enough I thought it a bit more discernible with the Earl than with the Queen, though I remember years ago someone who met her as a girl said she had a bit of a German 'roll' with certain words.

Last edited:
I didn't notice any German accent (I could be wrong), to me it was just a posh British one.

I feel like it would have been unlikely for the Teck sons to have noticeable accents into adulthood. Accents typically develop based on surroundings - so children of immigrants will typically develop accents more similar to their peers than their parents, although they may also develop hyperpronounciation (adult immigrants in comparison have accents that are influenced by their native language).

The Teck children were born in Britain, with the sons (Mary's brothers) each attending English boarding schools. Their accents would have been influenced by that more than their parents' accents. Mary, on the other hand, didn't go away to school and spent part of her formative years living on the Continent, causing her accent to be more German.

My Question: Do the Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish, Etc. Royal family's speak with their nations version of the Royal British 'Cut Glass' accent. I know Queen Margrethes English voice is Very British upper class.

My Question: Do the Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish, Etc. Royal family's speak with their nations version of the Royal British 'Cut Glass' accent. I know Queen Margrethes English voice is Very British upper class.

Princess Beatrix, Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel can speak very posh, with a hot-potato-in-the-mouth accent. King Willem-Alexander and his brother Prince Constantijn speak normal Dutch in my ears, but their reflexes in conversations reveal a dry sort of humor possibly from their father and (in the King's case) developed while he was at boarding school in Llantwit Major (Vale Glamorgan, Wales). Queen Máxima has her own thick accent when she speaks Dutch. Her English seems very good to me (she did attend a British College in Buenos Aires).

Queen Máxima's accent seems to have gotten worse over the last years. Of course, she had s strong accent when she was learning Dutch (and our double vowels must have been a nightmare to learn), later she seemed to be doing better but in recent years she might have become lazier as both her accent and grammatical mistakes are quite obvious.

Watching a documentary with Queen Margarethe. Why does she speak English with an English and not Danish accent?

Watching a documentary with Queen Margarethe. Why does she speak English with an English and not Danish accent?
Her mother was half English, she spent some time in school in the UK and she surely took classes in English from early age.

Back
Top Bottom