Royal Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ashraf and Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

in denmark, crown princess coupe welcomed twins a boy and a girl

Austria: Archduchess Monika and Archduchess Michaela, on 13 September 1954
Brazil: Princess Maria Gabriela and Princess Maria Teresa, on 14 July 1959
Bulgaria: Prince Umberto and Princess Sofia, on 20 November 1999
Hesse: Princess Paulina and Prince Moritz, on 26 March 2007
Bonaparte: Prince Charles and Princess Catherine, on 19 October 1950

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which Hessian twin is older, Paulina or Moritz?

Austria :

Archduchesses Michaela and Monika (daughters of Crown Prince Otto and the Late Crown Princess Regina) b. 1957

Belgium :

Princes Aymeric and Nicolas (sons of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire) b. 2005

Bourbon Parme :

Prince Jaime and Princess Margarita (children of the late Duke Carlos Hugo of Parme and Princess Irene of The Netherlands) b. 1972

Brazil :

Princesses Maria Gabriella and Maria Thereza (daughters of Prince Pedro Henriques and Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria) b. 1959

Princess Maria Antonia and Maria Francesca (daughters of Prince Eudes of Brazil and his second wife, i dont remember her name) b. 1979

Princesses Maria Eleonora and Maria Thereza (daughters of Prince Francisco and his wife Claudia Regina Martins Godhino) b. 1984

Bulgaria :

Princess Sofia and Prince Umberto (children of Prince Konstantin Assen and Princess Maria of Vidin) b. 1999

Denmark :

The new born Prince and Princess (children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary) b. 2011

Jordan :

Princesses Aisha and Zein (daughters of Late King Hussein of Jordan and Princess Muna al Hussein) b. 1968

Princesses Aisha and Sara (daughters of Prince Faisal and Princess Alia Tabbaa of Jordan) b. 1997

Luxembourg :

Prince Jean and Princess Margaretha (children of Grand Duke Jean and the Late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg) b. 1957

Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte (children of Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg) b. 2000

What is with all the questioning. Even if twins are identical and look exactly alike there is always one born first. Twins are not born at the exact same time; so whichever twin was actually born first would have to be the heir.
I havent heard of many royal twins so I was starting to wonder if one of the twins conveniently disappeared :whistling: or something like that.

Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie of Prussia had twins at the beginning of 2013, two boys, Carl Friedrich and Louis Ferdinand.

Princess Maria Antonia and Maria Francesca (daughters of Prince Eudes of Brazil and his second wife, i dont remember her name) b. 1979

Mrs. Maria Antonia de Carvalho Moreira and Mrs. Maria Francisca Braga Ratto are daughters of Prince Eudes of Orleans-Braganza and his second wife, Mrs. Mercedes de Orleans e Bragança, they are not titled as Princesses of Orleans-Braganza, because their parent doesn't had a religious wedding, just a civil one.

Their brother, Mr. Eudes de Orleans e Bragança Filho also has twin children with his wife, Mrs. Patrícia de Orleans e Bragança: Mr. Eudes de Orleans e Bragança Neto and Mss. Valentina de Orleans e Bragança., born in 2011.
:flowers:

Austria :

Archduchesses Michaela and Monika (daughters of Crown Prince Otto and the Late Crown Princess Regina) b. 1957

Belgium :

Princes Aymeric and Nicolas (sons of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire) b. 2005

Bourbon Parme :

Prince Jaime and Princess Margarita (children of the late Duke Carlos Hugo of Parme and Princess Irene of The Netherlands) b. 1972

Brazil :

Princesses Maria Gabriella and Maria Thereza (daughters of Prince Pedro Henriques and Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria) b. 1959

Princesses Maria Eleonora and Maria Thereza (daughters of Prince Francisco and his wife Claudia Regina Martins Godhino) b. 1984

Bulgaria :

Princess Sofia and Prince Umberto (children of Prince Konstantin Assen and Princess Maria of Vidin) b. 1999

Denmark :

The new born Prince and Princess (children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary) b. 2011

Jordan :

Princesses Aisha and Zein (daughters of Late King Hussein of Jordan and Princess Muna al Hussein) b. 1968

Princesses Aisha and Sara (daughters of Prince Faisal and Princess Alia Tabbaa of Jordan) b. 1997

Luxembourg :

Prince Jean and Princess Margaretha (children of Grand Duke Jean and the Late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg) b. 1957

Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte (children of Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg) b. 2000

You can add to that: Prussia - twin boys for TRH Prince George Fredrich and Princess Sophie (née of Isenberg) in January 2013 and the elder of the 2 boys will be the head of their Royal House; and in Monaco TSH Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene had twins on 10 DEC 2014 - HSH Prince Jacques Honore Rainier, Marquis de Baux, and HSH Princess Gabriella Therese Marie, Countess of Carlisades. Even though Gabriella is 2 minutes older than her twin brother, Prince Jacques is the Hereditary Prince (=heir and the next Sovereign Prince of Monaco) because in Monaco males take precedent over females in hereditary status. If Gabriella later becomes an older sister to a baby brother, she will drop to third in line and will drop even further if she has any more brothers

Are there any rules to say what would happen if twins were the first children born to a monarch of heir to the throne?

I know this question is from 2008, but even with twins, there is still one twin who is born first. A county's/royal house's rules concerning a royal child's birth order and the criteria that places them in line to be the next heir/heiress apply to each twin as well. (GOD forbid if conjoined twins were born 1st to a crown prince/ss, that bridge will be crossed if need be). In Monaco in December of 2014, twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques were born. Because of Monaco's laws, boys always take precedence over their sisters. Even though Gabriella is 2 minutes older than Jacques, he is 1st in line to his principality's throne. For each younger brother of Gabriella 's that is born she will move down in line of succession, even though she is Albert II 's eldest (legitimate) child.

Any royal house ever had a set of triplets?:what:

You can add to that: Prussia - twin boys for TRH Prince George Fredrich and Princess Sophie (née of Isenberg) in January 2013 and the elder of the 2 boys will be the head of their Royal House; and in Monaco TSH Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene had twins on 10 DEC 2014 - HSH Prince Jacques Honore Rainier, Marquis de Baux, and HSH Princess Gabriella Therese Marie, Countess of Carlisades. Even though Gabriella is 2 minutes older than her twin brother, Prince Jacques is the Hereditary Prince (=heir and the next Sovereign Prince of Monaco) because in Monaco males take precedent over females in hereditary status. If Gabriella later becomes an older sister to a baby brother, she will drop to third in line and will drop even further if she has any more brothers

Does Princess Gabriella of Mónaco hold the top spot as the shortest time (2 minutes) as heir(ess) to any country's throne? ?

Yes. There have been male/female sets of twins before but in most cases 1. they were not the oldest children 2. daughters were not eligible to inherit

Last edited:
In a C section is it who ever is yanked out first ??

Yes. Birth order is based on who comes out of the womb first whether C-section or natural birth.

Last edited:
Maria Karolina (1752-1814), born Archduchess of Austria, married to Ferdinand of Neapel-Sizilien (1751-1819) had - some sources say that, some sources say that not - born twins - two girls in 1779.

One girl died in 1783 in childhood - was named Maria Theresia or Maria Amalia - but there were two princesses, who had this name, when the child was still alive.

Maria Theresia (1772-1807, 34) and Maria Amalia (1783-1866, 82)

Maria Christina (1779-18??) was the twin sister/the only child, who outlived the childhood and married, one day before Maria Theresia died in spring 1807.

Maria Karolina and Ferdinand had 17 or 18 children, but most of them died in childhood or in early years.

Last edited:
Ferdinando and Maria Carolina in 1779 had indeed two twin daughters in 1779; they were named the one Maria Cristina Amalia Teresa (known as Maria Cristina) and the other Maria Cristina Teresa Amalia (known as Amalia).
Maria Cristina was the one who married in 1807 to the then Prince Carlo Felice of Savoy, who later became King of Sardinia. She died in 1849.
Amalia died aged 4 in 1783 of smallpox.
In total Ferdinando and Maria Carolina were parents of 18 children; of them, 7 reached adulthood, one was either stillborn or died at birth and 8 died as children of smallpox. The youngest two children died as children too, but I don't know the exact cause.

Albert (1792-1798), died on sea, when the family fleed of Napoleon Bonparte from Napels to Sicilia. He died in the arms of Lady Hamilton, a friend of Maria Karolina.

Amelia - yes - but there was another Maria Amelia too (1782-1866), who was born, when her elder sister was still alive.

It's not easy to find names for 17 or 18 children. - There were 2 Carlos . Carlo I. (1775-1778) and Carlo II. (1788-1789), named after there paternal grandfather.

Amalia/Amelie come from the paternal grandmother Maria Amalia Saxony-Spain (1724-1760, + 35).

Maria Theresia (1772-1807, + 34), from the maternal grandmother and Francis/Franz (1777-18??), from the maternal grandmother.

Maria Anna (1803-1884), Empress of Austria, married to Ferdinand (1793-1875) had a twin sister: Maria Theresia (1803-18??). Both were born Princess' of Savoyen.

Caroline/Karoline (1776-1841), Queen of Bavaria, second wife of Maximilian I. Joseph had a twin sister: Amalia (1776-18??). As far as I know, Amalia was never married and lived in Munic with Caroline/Karoline and there family.

Caroline/Karoline gave birth to 8 children:

1 boy died still born, 1 another boy in childhood and 1 daughter died also in childhood.

Elisabeth "Elise"/Amalia (* 1801) were twins and Marie/Sophie (* 1805) - too.

Another daughter was Ludovika/Luise, mother of Elisabeth "Sissi".

Elise and Marie had no issue, 6/9 children of Amelie died in young years and Sophie had 6 children: 5 sons (1 stillborn) and 1 daughter (died at the age of 4).

Every lady had no twins of herself.

Elise married Friedrich Wilhelm IV. of Prussia, Marie married Friedrich August II. of Saxony, Amalie married Johann of Saxony (brother of Friedrich August II.) and Sophie married Franz Karl of Austria.

Last edited:
Royal Multiple Births

Being a twin myself, I was wondering about the subject of multiple births and royalty - how many have there been?, have there been royal triplets or any MBs larger than twins? any succession questions,? other issues that the problem raises of multiple births? :D

I think, as you know, that the possibility of triplets and quads in royal families in centuries past would have been incredibly rare. It would have been rarer still for mother and all babies to have survived.

In the modern era the only person I know of who could remotely be described as Royal who experienced a multiple birth, was Princess Katharina-Sophie of Waldeck and Pyrmont who gave birth to triplets in 2004. She had a daughter Zita-Florentine and two sons Henry-Oscar and John-Moritz, who were born in Hamburg.

Last edited:
I only know of twins. A problem that has arisen (arose?) was the christening gowns :p

The only ones that come immediately to mind are the twins of Monaco. I'm sure there have been others..although not common I wouldn't think.

LaRae

The only ones that come immediately to mind are the twins of Monaco. I'm sure there have been others..although not common I wouldn't think.

LaRae
Well, Denmark has a current pair as well. I'm not very familiar with the more distant royals nor with historical/previous generations, so I'm sure there must have been quite a few pair of twins at least. More than 2 though will probably not be likely.

The main sets of twins I can think of off the top of my head are

The Shah and princess Ashraf
Prince jean and princess marguerite of Luxembourg
The Monaco babies
Catherine de Medicis last pregnancy was twin girls who died after birth
Cleopatra's first two children with mark Anthony - cleopatra Selene and Alexander Helios

And I can't remember any others right now

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire of Belgium have twins as do the German Prince and Princess who are the heirs of Wilhem II. They just announced her pregnancy but their first pregnancy produced twins

Back
Top Bottom