Royal Transport: Land, Sea and Air

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, they flew into Australia on Qantas, our national carrier. However, when Mary and Christian flew from Tasmania to the mainland they flew Jetstar, which is a basic, no-frills economy airline! No business class.

I would love to have been seated next to them. Although, the last thing they probably need is a dumb-struck monarchy junkie asking all sorts of stupid questions!

Prince Charles is said to be flying to the US later this month on commercial flights, instead of charter. So I guess that means he doesn't have his own jet? I'm not sure about The Queen, though. What does she use when she goes on foreign trips?

The Netherlands

The pictures were uploaded to my photobucket account, click to enlarge please.

The Netherlands Royal House uses a Fokker 70 Executive, painted with orange and nassaublue livery:
It is called PH-KBX
PH = international code for Netherlands' airplanes
KBX = Koningin BeatriX
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_1.jpg

But the Royal Netherlands Air Force also has a fleet of passenger-jets for transports of military, members of the Royal House and the Government:

McDonnel Doulas KDC 10 planes
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_2.jpg

Fokker 60 Executives
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_3.jpg

and Gulfstreams IV
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_4.jpg

There is also a cargo-plane called 'Prinses Máxima' with an elegant special livery: red roses...
It was baptized by the Princess herself on May 30th 2003:
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_6.jpg

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_5.jpg
It is probably the world's most noble cargo-plane.
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
do these planes have special call signs, like air force one?

PH-KBX and PH-PBX

The pictures were uploaded to my photobucket account, click to enlarge please.

The Queen uses a Fokker 70 Executive, painted with orange and nassaublue livery:
It is called PH-KBX
KBX = Koningin BeatriX
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_1.jpg

The Queen's previous plane was a Fokker F-28 Fellowship,
this was called PH-PBX
PBX = Prinses BeatriX
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Boerenfoxx/th_7.jpg

What about the Royal House of Sweden?

The international Code is AME, i dont know what it means, sorry

wanderer said:
What about the Royal House of Sweden?

The Swedish Royal Family does not have any airplane of their own, but they regularly use one of the planes own by the Swedish state, i think they have two or three rather small airplanes, otherwise the royal family flies with ordinary commercial airplanes.

I've been always doubtful about whether it's true that Willem Alexander secretely commanded many regular KLM flights (like, without passengers knowing HE was the pilot). Does anyone know for sure? :ermm:

I can't belive Mary flew jetstar!.....thats such a bad airline,

Verde Esmeralda said:
I've been always doubtful about whether it's true that Willem Alexander secretely commanded many regular KLM flights (like, without passengers knowing HE was the pilot). Does anyone know for sure? :ermm:

Well, it is fairly well known that one of his hobbies is to fly an airplane. He often flies the goverment plane where he is travelling in to. I am not to sure about the KLM flights, but I am sure that the crew invites him for a look in the cockpit when he travels with KLM.
He did fly in F16 figher planes from the army btw.

The prince of Orange did fly as copilot on commercial KLM flights.
The crew would certainly know, but since most often only the captains name is mentioned clearly, and noone pays attention anyway the "Alexander Amsberg" falls thru;)
As to security, he didn't have any bodyguards flying with him, but the throng of determined young ladies were quite lethal.:lol:

Huddo said:
I can't belive Mary flew jetstar!.....thats such a bad airline,

Apparently, the other passengers were a little surprised, too!

As I watched "The Queen", I couldn't believe my eyes as Queen Elizabeth II is featured several times driving her own car, completely alone behind the wheel, no chaffeur or companion whatsoever. Honestly I didn't believe it.

But I was proven wrong. As you can see in Hola magazine's website, she DOES drive, even now that she is 81. Wow. My apologies for the disbelief, Your Majesty!!

Noticias breves de actualidad

Last edited:
She trained as a mechanic (and driver?) during the war

As I watched "The Queen", I couldn't believe my eyes as Queen Elizabeth II is featured several times driving her own car, completely alone behind the wheel, no chaffeur or companion whatsoever. Honestly I didn't believe it.

But I was proven wrong. As you can see in Hola magazine's website, she DOES drive, even now that she is 81. Wow. My apologies for the disbelief, Your Majesty!!

Noticias breves de actualidad

I'd imagine driving is one of her few 'normal' pleasures.

Queen Beatrix: loyal to Volvo, her whole life long

The Royal Stables in The Hague has a fleet of about 30 cars for the Queen and the members of the Royal House, by far most of them Volvo, since a few years. Besides these all members of the royal family have their own private cars:
Volvo (Queen Beatrix)
Volvo (Willem-Alexander)
Audi (Máxima)
Porsche (Friso)
Volvo (Constantijn)
Volvo (Laurentien)
Mercedes (Margriet)
Mercedes (Pieter)
Etc.

There are also around 90 other cars (mostly Volvo) for members of the royal household services.

For more than half a century the American brand Ford was favourite at the Netherlands Court, thanks to warm relationships between Prince Bernhard and the Ford family.

But since a few years the Court has switched to Volvo. The reason is not known. Maybe the Royal Stables and/or the Queen were no longer satisfied with the quality or whatever of Ford. Anyway: Volvo still is part of the Ford Motors Company, so the Dutch royals are still 'in the Ford family'.

HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands arrives at the Concours Hippique in Rotterdam, 1956, with her first car, a birthday present by her father Prince Bernhard.
Picture

HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands leaves her car after a private ride.
Picture

HRH Princess Beatrix and her car in front of the central hexagonal tower of her fairytale private estate 'Drakensteyn' (still in her private property).
Picture

HM Queen Beatrix arrives at the side-wing of Huis ten Bosch Palace where the her private appartments are. She leaves her private car, a Volvo XC90 fourwheeldrive.
Picture

HM Queen Beatrix in one of the Volvo limousines, this is the AA65
Picture and picture

HRH Princess Máxima was driven in this Volvo limousine, this is the AA95 (she is not in it as her standard is not waving while she is inside the building)
Picture

Henri, Do you know if a member of their security detail is usually with the members of the Royal House when they're driving or are they following at a close distance?

HM Queen Beatrix arrives at the side-wing of Huis ten Bosch Palace where the her private appartments are. She leaves her private car, a Volvo XC90 fourwheeldrive.
Picture
Sorry, I don't want to argue, but it seems to be a Ford Focus (look at the indicator light or the bodywork over the wheel). Perhaps now she has a Volvo, because the picture is from 2003. But believe in me, this is no Volvo. The XC90 is an off-road car and this is a limousine or an estate car.

Picture
Sorry, I don't want to argue, but it seems to be a Ford Focus (look at the indicator light or the bodywork over the wheel). Perhaps now she has a Volvo, because the picture is from 2003. But believe in me, this is no Volvo. The XC90 is an off-road car and this is a limousine or an estate car.

You are right, I was meant to post another picture, I will search for it. According to hollandcourier the Queen drives in a Volvo V70 XC which is a stationwagon with fourwheel drive.

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima both drive in the Volvo XC90 a terrain vehicle indeed.

The details can be found in this book. From the Minerva in the 1920's to the Volvo of today.

Henri, Do you know if a member of their security detail is usually with the members of the Royal House when they're driving or are they following at a close distance?

There are always security cars following the most important royals. (= the Queen, the Prince of Orange, Princess Máxima, Princess Margriet,etc.) In public and in private. In the Netherlands and outside the Netherlands. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

:flowers:

Thank you. I wonder if the royals have also been instructed in a bit of defensive driving. I'm picturing the Queen in James Bond mode right now.

i think many royals like driving by them self, but when was the last time we saw Queen Elisabeth drive a car

Back
Top Bottom