Royal Personal Interior Decoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A photo from King WA's office at Huis ten Bosch.
https://billedbladet-prod.imgix.net...op=focalpoint&auto=format&ixlib=imgixjs-3.4.0

Nice.
Nice, simplistic chair.
Nice table.
And of course nice photo.

I wouldn't have placed the lamp in that corner though. It "shadows" the photo.
I would have placed that lamp in another dark corner and instead have placed two spots on the photo.
And placed something else in the corner. Something big enough to "shield" the socket.
That would have made a better "balance" in the corner.

Regards to King Willem Alexander's office, I am not a fan of glass tables and I am not a fan of the lamp. It's too ugly for me.

Frederik's desk looks well used, his doodles are interesting, but I don't like the curtains. Ugly pattern, but thats just my taste.

Is that a ‘gang sign’ from WA?
I believe that the King was simply captured on film as he was shifting hand positions or about ready to use his hands during a conversation.

I believe that the King was simply captured on film as he was shifting hand positions or about ready to use his hands during a conversation.
Oh, that’s what I assumed, but it does look funny!

It is in a part of the palace which was heavily damaged during WWII (the palace park was used as a lauch site for V2 missiles to the UK.

The whole palace park was destroyed, the Nazis wanted to destroy the palace as well but in the end "only" the park and side-buildings were ravaged: picture.

Because the historic interior in a few salons has been lost, in this part it was free choice. The King's private office is a mix of classic (velvet wallhangings and 19th C paintings) with modern furniture: picture

The glass table is not new, it already stood in the same room, in use by Queen Beatrix: picture.

By the way: as destroyed the park was in WWII, in 80 years time nature is fully back around the palace: picture.

Last edited:
We got a -small- glimpse of the private area of Huis ten Bosch these last months.

While in Eikenhorst they still used 'safe' colours it seems that for Huis ten Bosch they were more bold & used purple: https://www.deoranjes.nl/2021/12/foto-koning-willem-alexander-steekt.html

Judging from the sofa in the background it seems that the/ a living room is now situated in the glass extention of the Wassenaar wing.

Apparently much of the decoration, including Máxima's office, was done by Mariska Dietz. Dietz is a good friend of the queen ("her best friend" according to some magazines). She is an interior designer and the wife of the nouveau riche business man Theo Dietz. The latter is a friend of the king since the 90ties when he went scuba diving on Bonaire.

Regards to King Willem Alexander's office, I am not a fan of glass tables and I am not a fan of the lamp. It's too ugly for me.

Yes I agree though I do love that fire place but I doubt its used.

Yes I agree though I do love that fire place but I doubt its used.

I very much like the combination of antique items with modern furniture:

The King's private study 1

Queen Beatrix in the same corner (see the fireplace and the mirror)

The King's private study 2

The round glass table was were King Willem-Alexander's bureau is now

Maybe because I am a white cisgender straight male and ticking all the wrong privileged boxes, but King Willem-Alexander's style appeals so much more more to me than Queen Beatrix' granny style. Note that neither the King's nor the former Queen's interiors were historic. This corner of the palace was so ravaged in WWII that the historic interiors have gone.

Last edited:
I very much like the combination of antique items with modern furniture:

The King's private study 1

Queen Beatrix in the same corner (see the fireplace and the mirror)

The King's private study 2

The round glass table was were King Willem-Alexander's bureau is now

Maybe because I am a white cisgender straight male and ticking all the wrong privileged boxes, but King Willem-Alexander's style appeals so much more more to me than Queen Beatrix' granny style. Note that neither the King's nor the former Queen's interiors were historic. This corner of the palace was so ravaged in WWII that the historic interiors have gone.

The lamp-thing in the ceiling needs to die.

It's a serious beautiful grandad clock! - I don't know what you Dutch call such a clock, we call it a Bornholmerur. But it should not be placed in a dark corner against a dark wall. It should have a more prominent place at the middle of a wall and with a lighter hue behind it. Here it's a dark clock, against a dark background in a dark, poorly lit corner.
Remove the lamp in the corner and have two frame-spots on the photo of the family.
There is a lot of center-light in that room, vis-a-vis the horror hanging from the ceiling, but that means the corners are left in darkness, and that's a pity. Its off-balancing the room light-wise.

There are strong opinions about some salons which were "free to re-decorate" (where the historic interiors have gone because of damage in WWII).

This is Queen Juliana's interior of the current "DNA salon". It looks old but it is just 1950's re-do.

This is Queen Beautrix' interior of the current "DNA salon". Essentially the same as Juliana's salon but with lighter wallhangings end upholstery.

This is the current salon at present. (With 60.000 brickstons forming the royal couple's DNA code, a modern take of a wall with family portraits). The sofas and seats are the same as in the old interior.

The older interior was more "palace like" but good lord, what a depressing room. I really like the current colourful outlook so much more.

Last edited:
Look out Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen, Dear Muhler you are sounding like an interior design stylist. I dare say you are quite right.

There are strong opinions about some salons which were "free to re-decorate" (where the historic interiors have gone because of damage in WWII).

This is Queen Juliana's interior of the current "DNA salon". It looks old but it is just 1950's re-do.

This is Queen Beautrix' interior of the current "DNA salon". Essentially the same as Juliana's salon but with lighter wallhangings end upholstery.

This is the current salon at present. (With 60.000 brickstons forming the royal couple's DNA code, a modern take of a wall with family portraits). The sofas and seats are the same as in the old interior.

The older interior was more "palace like" but good lord, what a depressing room. I really like the current colourful outlook so much more.

I much prefer the Queen Beatrix Style the modern brickstone effect does nothing for me and looks like a trendy wine bar.

I much prefer the Queen Beatrix Style the modern brickstone effect does nothing for me and looks like a trendy wine bar.

In recent years, I have come to like the juxtaposition of old and new, classical old furniture juxtaposed with very modern pieces. Whilst I like the thought process, I cannot claim to love the look of the room.

Huis ten Bosch Palace is a private residence. We can really not expect modern people like King Willem-Alexander and Máxima having a reception room with the interior of Beatrix. It is the equivalent of saying: You can live in your parents' house but change nothing to the interior.

Queen Beatrix' reception room (good lord, imagine you have to receive guests in this 1950's wallhangings decor... )

The same room under King Willem-Alexander (without furniture but the same golden clock is back on the fireplace and a more impressive chandelier)

The same room under King Willem-Alexander (with two Kings)

Last edited:
In recent years, I have come to like the juxtaposition of old and new, classical old furniture juxtaposed with very modern pieces. Whilst I like the thought process, I cannot claim to love the look of the room.

In 1981 Queen Beatrix did the same in the so-called Van der Aa salon (named to the paintings of Dirck van der Aa (1731-1809), changing a frou-frou bonbonnière salon in a sober modern outlook. Apparently to the liking of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, because this room has been unchanged (but this salon is seldom or never used anyway):

Van der Aa Salon in 1981 (the telephone reveals the picture was made in that year)

Last edited:
In 1981 Queen Beatrix did the same in the so-called Van der Aa salon (named to the paintings of Dirck van der Aa (1731-1809), changing a frou-frou bonbonnière salon in a sober modern outlook. Apparently to the liking of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, because this room has been unchanged (but this salon is seldom or never used anyway):

Van der Aa Salon in 1981 (the telephone reveals it was made in that year)

Its a really lovely room and what a shame that its underused.

It all will be arch-expensive stuff but it looks as a collection of Edelkitsch hoarded together. But of course: it will be a comfortable room in which the Queen feels happy. That is what count. Her home is her castle. Or better said: her castle is her home.

Last edited:
Minus the carpet its a really nice reception room and love that fire place and the fender.

It are the Gothic stucco motifs on the wall which gives it an Edelkitsch outlook. I am not sure if that is original or that also Windsor has fallen prey to Victorian neo-gothic rage once.

What drew my attention are the ducks to the far right on the büro.
I can't make up my mind whether I love them and want them, or whether I want to present them as a gift to someone I hate.

Anyway, the room is too tidy to be lived in. No mags in the rack for example.

I suspect the couches are the kind you sit on, not in.

What drew my attention are the ducks to the far right on the büro.
I can't make up my mind whether I love them and want them, or whether I want to present them as a gift to someone I hate.

Anyway, the room is too tidy to be lived in. No mags in the rack for example.

I suspect the couches are the kind you sit on, not in.

It is indeed fun to spot the details in this room: my eye was caught by the box of Bendicks chocolate mints behind HM; I would not be surprised if the other boxes on that table also contain chocolate! The Queen seems to have lost weight and perhaps the chocolates are meant to help her back to health…! I know, but this is neither the place nor the time to discuss the health benefits of chocolate!:flowers:

It are the Gothic stucco motifs on the wall which gives it an Edelkitsch outlook. I am not sure if that is original or that also Windsor has fallen prey to Victorian neo-gothic rage once.

It's called the oak room. Victoria used it as a dining room. Not sure when it was painted white. Probably by Edward VII.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCLiDrsXahPYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Seen from the quadrangle - in the centre. It acts as a porte cochere for the sovereign's entrance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCKDPp6HbhPYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Last edited:
It is indeed fun to spot the details in this room: my eye was caught by the box of Bendicks chocolate mints behind HM; I would not be surprised if the other boxes on that table also contain chocolate! The Queen seems to have lost weight and perhaps the chocolates are meant to help her back to health…! I know, but this is neither the place nor the time to discuss the health benefits of chocolate!:flowers:

I, too, noticed the chocolates. Boxes from Fortnum & Mason, Charbonnel et Walker and Bendicks Mints.

There can only be benefits to chocolate.

Chocolate comes from trees. - Trees are good for us. They are our friends. Let's hug them.
Ergo chocolate is good for us. :graduate:

Back
Top Bottom