Royal Passports

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alterego

Gentry
City
Somewhere
Country
Switzerland
I am wondering, what would the names be for royals and aristocracies on official documents(say, on their passports)? Both given names and family names. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that both French+British goverments would still keep titles of nobility on documents, perhaps German too?

And like those royals who have got 8,9,10 or even more given names on baptisam, will they list all of them on their id? :p

In Germany there is no nobility anymore, but you can have a noble title as part of your name. So if it is part of your name, yes, that would mean that it shows on your passport/ID, etc.

In Germany isn't it something along these lines:

If you were Princess of Hannover, in Germany your name would not be Princess Caroline of Hannover but Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover, with Prinzessen von Hannover as the last name instead of a title?

In Germany HRH is titled: Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover or Caroline von Hannover. In Austria, f. e. you are not allowed to sign with the word "von". The official name of Archduke Otto of Austria (the current head of the house) is Otto Habsburg. IMO these laws are a little bit discriminating, but the constitution is so.

O? In Germany, "Prinzessin" will beindicated in the passport? Ummm, I thought only "von" and "zu" are allowed.

How about Italy/France:rolleyes:?

I know that the last name of the royal family of Belgium 'van België' (in Flemish) or 'de Belgique' (in French) is.
I saw it on the news when King Albert received his new identity card and I know it from someone who teaches in the school where the children of Astrid and Filip go.
I think I read once that the 'von Sachsen Coburg Gotha' family name was dropped a few kings ago.

In Germany HRH is titled: Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover or Caroline von Hannover. In Austria, f. e. you are not allowed to sign with the word "von". The official name of Archduke Otto of Austria (the current head of the house) is Otto Habsburg. IMO these laws are a little bit discriminating, but the constitution is so.

No, he is Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen, as academical titles are still in use. BTW - since 1.1.2007 Archduke Karl is head of the house, his father "abdicated" in his favour. :flowers:

O? In Germany, "Prinzessin" will beindicated in the passport? Ummm, I thought only "von" and "zu" are allowed.

How about Italy/France:rolleyes:?

The name even changes gender ober here: when eg Hermann Prinz von und zu XY marries, his wife becomes Henriette Prinzessin von und zu XY.

The tradition that only the Head of a house holds a certain title while the children have others is accepted by the state as a legal reason for a name chance. So if Albert Fuerst von und zu XA dies, his son and the son's wife can apply for an official name change out of family tradition.

If Anna Prinzessin von BC has an illegitimate child, this child takes the name form the mother - a girl will be Prinzessin, a boy Prinz. Same with adoption.

Diplomatic passports of the royals

as i was reading this piece of news on cristina and her succesion rights following NOOS, i found it interesting what they mention about diplomatic passports, how they work and what they allow holders to do. i became curious about what the passports that the royals hold allows them to do exactly and what they may look like.

for one, they mention that diplomatic passport holders are allowed to use the authorities suite at airports. in the articles i found, which were about generic on diplomatic passports, not royalty-specific, some of them seemed to mention that this is only permitted when travelling for official purposes, not for private purposes. however, i believe this mustn't apply for royalty, specially for heads of state, due to the need for special security. they also mentioned that their luggages are not checked and that they don't go through the scanners normal passengers do.

(the article also mentions that the spanish royal family has a "VIP card" of airline iberia, with perks being unknown to the public, but that this may allow them to travel for free on any private displacements they may wish to make)

i wonder if anyone else knows more about the diplomatic passports the royals use, as they must have some extra dispositions.

for those interested, here's what the cover of the diplomatic passports look like for the US:
http://blogs.usembassy.gov/persian/files/2012/09/4620738882_fee5dd2f9c.jpeg

for kenya:
Jpeg Passport Diplomatic 467850623 - upcScavenger WikiMedia

a "queen's messenger" british passport:
Experiences as a Queen's Messenger | Passport-collector.com

for the netherlands, they also published what they look like inside:
Diplomatic passport - Basisadministratie Persoonsgegevens en Reisdocumenten

the article:
La Infanta Cristina no cede a las presiones para que renuncie a sus derechos din?sticos | loc | EL MUNDO

Usa

do you think William and Harry get fingerprinted when they go to America like us mere prebs do? Does the Queen? I understand she hasn't even got a passport! I always wondered about US immigration for the royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there are other arrangements made for when royals travel to the US - does anyone else know?

When you enter the US with a diplomatic passport, you don't get fingerprinted though depending on the Immigration officer, you could be asked to have one finger be fingerprinted but never all.

For royals, I'm sure they dont get fingerprinted with a diplo passport.

I wonder how many of them or until which member of the family travel with one though, it should only be the ones who engage in official work. Otherwise, they can use regular ppts for vacations and diplo or official ppts for work.

Visas

Just curious if non-EU people who marry into the royal family have to go through the same process that my American husband had to go through to be allowed to live in the UK. In his case, because we got married here and not America, he needed a Fiance visa, then a Souse visa, then permanent residency, officially called Indefinite leave to Remain, then, last year, he became a citizen. I am assuming that somebody like Autumn Phillips would have had to do the same. It's harder now, the amount of money you have to have is a lot more since 2012, in fact if the British spouse hasn't got an income of at least £18600, you need £62500 savings. Not that this would be a problem for someone like Harry and Meghan. The Spouse visa is two stages now too, first one for 2.5 years, then another 2.5 years to permanent residency. And to marry in the UK Meghan would need the extra step of the Fiance visa. At least the couple will have people to advise them.

do you think William and Harry get fingerprinted when they go to America like us mere prebs do? Does the Queen? I understand she hasn't even got a passport! I always wondered about US immigration for the royals.

Holders of diplomatic passports are normally exempted from fingerprinting upon entry in the US.

The Queen does NOT have a passport. As UK passports are issued in her name she doesn't need one. The number 1 passport holder in the UK is Prince Philip - that is his passport number and is his by virtue of the fact he is the consort of the monarch.

I know that is the theory and it works fine as long as she is in the UK. The argument is absurd when she travels to other countries.

I know that is the theory and it works fine as long as she is in the UK. The argument is absurd when she travels to other countries.

Well these are the words of the inside cover off all British Passports

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State
Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty
all those whom it may concern
to allow the bearer to pass freely
without let or hindrance,
and to afford the bearer
such assistance and protection as may be necessary

Well these are the words of the inside cover off all British Passports

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State
Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty
all those whom it may concern
to allow the bearer to pass freely
without let or hindrance,
and to afford the bearer
such assistance and protection as may be necessary

Yes, I am aware of that. However, there is no reason for other countries to accept such a weird anomaly by the British to not provide their head of state with a passport. I don't see a reason why she cannot ask permission from others to let herself pass by showing a formal document (they could evenchange the first two sentences into 'Her Britannic Majesty requests and requires' - if the 'in the name of' is the problem. I am sure she communicates in writing more often... Again, other countries let it pass because it is too minor to make a fuss about it but it shows quite an arrogant attitude by the British.

In addition, in many cases this request is NOT granted as visa are required (so that would be a hindrance to a free pass) to travel to many countries, so it's a nice relic but without much practical use.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, there is no reason for other countries to accept such a weird anomaly by the British to not provide their head of state with a passport. I don't see a reason why she cannot ask permission from others to let herself pass by showing a formal document (they could evenchange the first two sentences into 'Her Britannic Majesty requests and requires' - if the 'in the name of' is the problem. I am sure she communicates in writing more often... Again, other countries let it pass because it is too minor to make a fuss about it but it shows quite an arrogant attitude by the British.

In addition, in many cases this request is NOT granted as visa are required (so that would be a hindrance to a free pass) to travel to many countries, so it's a nice relic but without much practical use.

Off topic so mods please move to a more appropriate thread.

Does the Queen travel overseas except on state visits? I realise this might change when Charles then William come to the throne.

It strikes me that I’ve never heard of her being abroad unless it’s on official business. If that’s the case then passports and visas are all moot - she already has permission to be in the country and, in fact is there as an official guest of the government of the country she is visiting.

Does the Queen travel overseas except on state visits? I realise this might change when Charles then William come to the throne.

It strikes me that I’ve never heard of her being abroad unless it’s on official business. If that’s the case then passports and visas are all moot - she already has permission to be in the country and, in fact is there as an official guest of the government of the country she is visiting.
Fully agree that this whole discussion is off topic. Not sure where to continue the conversation.

I am not sure that the queen during her whole reign never went on a private trip outside of the UK. I know she enjoys her holidays in her various palaces but not even once being outside of the UK in a private capacity during her whole reign? Nonetheless, everyone needs to be able to identify him/herself with a valid ID and outside of your country that is a passport (and in many cases some kind of visa). So, while she of course in practice will be recognized by most that does not mean she can do as she pleases. When the two of them were still traveling together, the duke was also an official guest of the government of that country, just like all of their entourage. No reason not to require a passport.

And moreover, diplomatic passports are exactly used for those official type of visits. So, there is a special provision for these kinds of official trips/relations/position, so that's of course the type of passport any head of state would have.

I know Her Majesty has traveled to Kentucky privately to visit the horse farms there. I just can't recall if those visits were "piggybacked" onto official visits.

She has made 4 known trips to Kentucky, the last in 2007 for the Derby.

The queen traveled, even for private, when she was younger. In the last years she has remained mainly in the UK. Even tours and such are conducted more by Charles and others.

With Charles possibly, and William, we will see a monarch traveling abroad more then in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom