Royal Nannies & Governesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ianna

Royal Highness
City
My little corner of the world
Country
Croatia
Hello everyone!

To be nanny or governess to Royal/Princely children is a very responsible duty since those children are in public eye from every beginning...and good manners must come along..

It would be fun to see all those "teachers" from different countries on their "work"...

In attachment...Governess Maureen King with young Princess Caroline and Prince Albert Of Monaco..

Attachments

• Car_albert_1961.jpg
    Car_albert_1961.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,546
Maria Sikkeland is one of Ingrid Alexandra and Marius' nannies.

Picture is from Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding.

Attachments

• 1074327234.jpg
    1074327234.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 4,064
who will be nanny for Earl and Countess of Wessex's baby? and also Prince and Princess of Orange who will be nanny of her daughter? and more!

Sara Boyce

Do all the children have just one nanny or one for each? how do you become one? must you be related to royals somehow?

hillary_nugent said:
Do all the children have just one nanny or one for each? how do you become one? must you be related to royals somehow?
I think that number of nannies depends on parent desicion (number of children, social status..). In most of cases nannies are like nursery maids..they look after children but with no implementation in their education-that is responsibilty of governess. Todays, full time governess is really rare case..Most of royal children go to public/private schools and nanny is only need...

I'm also interested how nannies come to royal houses. I assume, they finish that kind of schools, have good marks, find job at which they got a very good recommendation..and somehow they manage to get "inside". Interview with some of prospective nannies is also some way to find the real one.

Ianna said:
I think that number of nannies depends on parent desicion (number of children, social status..). In most of cases nannies are like nursery maids..they look after children but with no implementation in their education-that is responsibilty of governess. Todays, full time governess is really rare case..Most of royal children go to public/private schools and nanny is only need...

I'm also interested how nannies come to royal houses. I assume, they finish that kind of schools, have good marks, find job at which they got a very good recommendation..and somehow they manage to get "inside". Interview with some of prospective nannies is also some way to find the real one.

I believe some of them do go to a school to learn to be a nanny- for instance, there are three schools that I know of that most royal nannies in the UK attend- Norland, Childton, and Princess Christian Nanny Training College. Must be a big business there.
For the other royals, I'm not exactly sure how one gets chosen to be a nanny. Good question, maybe someone could find out for us!
-Kara-

I would presume that most of them are educated especially within the field of childcare. Either at nanny-school, in the countries where they have those, or have degrees from colleges in childcare/child-education, or are preschool teachers.

hillary_nugent said:
I think the number of nannies is personal and varies from family to family. I guess it would depend on several factors, like how busy the parents are, how many kids there are, how old the kids are, if one (some) of the kids are in school or others are still too young, maybe even what the income of the parents is.

Alexandra and Joachim have 2 nannies for Nikolai and Felix.

Pavlos and Marie Chantal have at least 3 nannies, maybe 4 now with the new baby.

Cristina and Elena each have 1 nanny for their kids.

Charles and Diana only had Tiggy for William and Harry.

Willem and Maxima have 1 for Amalia.

Edward and Sophie have 1 nanny for Louise.

IMO opinion I don't think a separte nanny for each child is needed. When I was a kid my parents had 1 nanny for me and my 2 sisters. I believe 1 nanny can properly take care of 2 or 3 kids at once. I know royals are busy people, but do they really see their children so little that they require a separte nanny for each kid?

The age of the children is also a factor that is often consider. For example Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix each require different attention. Nikolai is older and attends school, has home work and so he runs on a different schedule than his younger baby brother; who needs a lot more attention and care than Nikolai does. So having 2 nannies (4 but they alternate 2 at time) seems essential.

Pavlos and Marie Chantal have at least 3 nannies, maybe 4 now with the new baby
MC would need one Nanny for each child as she is far too busy with her social life to look after her children herself.

wymanda said:
MC would need one Nanny for each child as she is far too busy with her social life to look after her children herself.
LOL..I'm sure she is very greatful for the many nannys that can raise your children for you

wymanda said:
:D Isn't that the truth! What's more important to Marie Chantal? Spending time with her kids, reading to them or sitting front row at the Valentino fashion show, shopping with her mom on Fifth Avenue or lunching at the top restaurants in London and New York? Tough call!

The only time she seems to be interested in the kids is when they are doing photoshoots so she can show the world what a good mom she is and when she needs them to model her children's clothes.

I just saw a new TV show here in the US. It's called Nanny 911 (911 are the numbers you dial for an emergency, fire, police). They have British nannies come rescue clueless American parents whose children are out of control. It was hilarious. I have a 2 1/2 year old. Some days, I could really use a trained nanny. :)

Haakon and Mette-Marit has one nanny (as far as the press knows) for Ingrid and Marius, Maria Friestad Bergseth Sikkeland. She is the daughter of the woman that was Haakon and Märthas nanny. She is an educated in childrens pedagogics (Norw:Barneværnspedagog)

1088362761.88386.jpg
1026195113.jpg

Last edited:
I want know who care for Lady Louise? when Earl and Countess of Wessex was away for official engagements and state trip and post pictures also.

Sara Boyce

When Victoria, Carlphilip and Madeleine of Sweden were little, they had several nannies and aupairs. One of the known is Ulla Gitta Kronberg who was with them for several years, atleast until Victoria turned 20.

And I think they had a nanny named Åsa during the 80´s. I dont know anything more about them more than that, but I have seen some photos of the royal children and their nannies

I belive the woman next to Victoria is a nanny (photo taken by me at a exhibition at Solliden)

The woman at the right, with short white hair, is Ulla-Gitta Kronberg (photo from allover)

Last edited:
Mette Hansen is the nanny of the baby prince of Denmark(Mary&Fred's child)

does anybody know who's Amalia&Alexia's nanny?

Princess Maxima said:
Mette Hansen is the nanny of the baby prince of Denmark(Mary&Fred's child)

does anybody know who's Amalia&Alexia's nanny?

At the baptism of Alexia, there was one lady who took carry for Amalia when she needed to go to the bathroom:d
Also, when the couple arrived with their two daughters, you could see there was a lady walked behind them. She carried a big blue bag, Probably filled with those baby-stuff.

I thought The Danish CP couple were not going to have a nanny?

oh, so that girl is amalia's nanny? i was wondering in the thread of the baptism of alexia who was that lady amalia was talking so excitedly to, and now i figured out it was her nanny... how cute. i love the way she got so excited and went to her to tell her what she discovered. :)

attachment.php

ksenia said:
I thought The Danish CP couple were not going to have a nanny?

I think what Mary meant is that she doesn't want another person bringing up her children, or having someone with a greater role in their life than her. Not having a nanny is virtually impossible for a Crown Princely family!

Poor CP Mary! All she said was that she didn't want her children raised by nannies. That's entirely different from having any nanny at all. Of course the little prince will have someone to look after him when mommy and daddy go off on official business. CP Mary just meant that she wanted her and CP Frederik to be there a lot to raise their own children with only SOME assistance.
On the same subject - I think CP Frederik has fussed and he doesn't have much right to do so. I think the media has over-hyped his comments about having nannies around all the time. We must remember that his mother assumed the throne when he was only 3! Most other monarchs have the benefit of waiting until their children are much older before they must leave them more and more often for official duties.

I too was wondering who the lady was that little Princess C-A was talking to at Alexia's baptism. C-A was SOOOOOO cute that day!

As for Marie-Chantel of Greece...yeah... the woman has a lot of nannies. But I'm not a fan of hers anyway, so I guess no matter what she does I still wouldn't approve. Haha!

Have there ever been any royal mothers who have not used nannies ? I would think that due to their schedules a child minder is necessary.

auntie said:
I think what Mary meant is that she doesn't want another person bringing up her children, or having someone with a greater role in their life than her. Not having a nanny is virtually impossible for a Crown Princely family!

CP Mary told newspaper interview about she wont wanted hires nanny because she wanted as 100% as mother to watch the baby son and also Prince Fred share each the baby i dont blame Mary's reasons what she wanted and the palace really disappointment about CP Mary's interview says no nanny for little Prince i dont know why but HM Queen wanted Mary become good monarchy.

SpiffyBallerina said:
As for Marie-Chantel of Greece...yeah... the woman has a lot of nannies. But I'm not a fan of hers anyway, so I guess no matter what she does I still wouldn't approve. Haha!

your honesty is very refresing!

MC-of Greece have hires more nanny because her 4 children plus infant baby to watch the children i understand why she wanted to hires more nanny but she would have approve from governament? or his in-laws? or Royals mothers can allowed to more hires Royals nannies because the mothers really busy to do includes banquet,public engagement,etc.

Back
Top Bottom