Royal Miscarriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is why the Royals wait well into the second trimester to make any formal pregnancy announcements. It's just heartbreaking to have it out there and then something happen...

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that Alexandra Feodorovna had a miscarriage after GD Maria's or GD Anastasia's (can't remember which it is) birth too, but it might be me mixing it together with the first one.

Didn't Queen Margarethe of Denmark have one or two miscarriages, too? :ermm:

I think I remember something like this was discussed when Mary expected her twins. Something along the line "QM always wanted to have more kids, especially daughters to her son, too." But I'm not sure whether her missing daughters are due to miscarriages or just problems conceiving them. Or rather conceiving more kids in general not just a problem conceiving daughters (which obiously isn't the womens "work", but the mens ;))? :ermm: Or was it due to hard previous pregnancys with her sons that the doctor said she shouldn't risk another pregnancy? :ermm:

Can anyone shed any light to this? :confused: Because I obviously have no specific memories about the reason for her "only" having two sons. I just seem to remember the fact that she always wanted to have more kids.

I've heard something about a miscarriage, but I am not sure if it's true. I do recall reading something about her not being able to have more children after P Joachim, but that her and P Henrik had always wanted a girl too.

Last edited:
Miscarriages usually happen in the first trimester which is why some people royal or non-royal don't announce their pregnancy right away. Having a miscarriage is a sad experience especially if it's the first pregnancy.

I think this is why the Royals wait well into the second trimester to make any formal pregnancy announcements. It's just heartbreaking to have it out there and then something happen...
As do many of us who are not royal for exactly the same reasons.

Do you think, that the mothers, who had lost their children during her pregnancy, think every day on the dead children and imagine how it would be, when they weren't dead?

I hope for all pregnant women, either royal or not, that all the best will cover them and that the babies will have a healthy and enjoyable life.

As a mother who recently lost a child shortly after birth (after several miscarriages), I can assure you those thoughts are always there.

While it such a terrible topic, I wish more "famous" people discussed miscarriage and infant loss. It would help remove the stigma from such a taboo subject.

Kaatje said:
As a mother who recently lost a child shortly after birth (after several miscarriages), I can assure you those thoughts are always there.

While it such a terrible topic, I wish more "famous" people discussed miscarriage and infant loss. It would help remove the stigma from such a taboo subject.

I agree and it does seem that it Is discussed more and there is more understanding I wish you happier times ahead

OMG, what a sad discussion topic. But I have to admit, there were many miscarriages, I did not (yet) hear about it.
Thank god, that with so many royal ladies everything went well with the existing children.
I already have heard about the 5 miscarriages from Queen Fabiola and I feel so sorry for her. Such a dignified, loving children and religious lady. How much pain must it have been to her at the times when she lost baby after baby.
Bye Bine

Hmm... I'm trying to remember which years... I do remember from a book that it was of course between Albert and Stephanie. People say that is one of the reasons she spoiled Stephanie so much.

Elizabet the Queen Mother also had a miscarriage.

Are you sure the QM had one? I read her offical bio and it never said anything of a miscarriage.

In the time of the QM you didn't discus pregnancies in public and even less miscarriages; miscarriage is very common and 'normal' - it becomes only tragic in the cases of i.e. Queen Fabiola and other who end up with no children at all.

But having miscarriages between children born is nothing special - in my mind there is no need to have it talked about by other people.

I don't say it's not a sad event for the family involved, but it doesn't help to exaggerate a common fact of live.

According to Royalsa Queen Sonja had two miscarriges:
1. Miscarriage (2 July 1970)
2. Martha-Louise (22 September 1971)
3. Miscarriage (3 June 1972)
4. Haakon Magnus (20 July 1973)

So sad Sonja had two miscarriges.I wonder how it feels to have pressure to have a son for 5 years.Even more pressure that she did not pregnant soon after her marriage.

Usually when someone has a miscarriage people express their sympathy and that's the end of it. Rarely does the woman (royal or non-royal) who miscarried talk about it at length or go into the details of it. If they do, people are generally uncomfortable about it.

This is something that celebs don't even talk about and they pretty much talk about everything. It amazes me how many women I've known who have had miscarriages (a lot more than you would think).

I imagine it would be quite a story if a royal came on tv and spoke about having a miscarriage. Or talked about how it affected her emotionally. It would probably be a first.

Since many royals don't announce their pregnancy until they are about 3 months pregnant or further along, it quite possible that many of them had miscarriages but it was never made public.

It makes wonder if any of the princesses today had a miscarriage.

And how about P. Caroline of Monaco? The reason i ask this, is that, a short while after Pierre's birth she was potographed on the beach with a rather large waste... and rumours of a pregnancy started flying aroung. Also a more or less six month about Alexandra's birth her proeminent stomach called the attentention of the press and... a new pregnancy came to the reporters minds. And who can forget a couple of pictures taken in Thailand that came to light in January 2006? P. Caroline was already 49, but her belly was soooo proeminent that EVERYBODY gave a late pregnancy for sure!!!

I never heard rumors about Princess Caroline having miscarriges. Princess Stephanie was photographed with a very very prominent belly when she was with the circus owner. Then she was suddenly slim.

Princess Grace's miscarriage

I think she had also one after Stephanie..There is actually photo on Corbis saying that Princess Grace is pregnant with her fourth child, and that she came to London with husband and little Stephanie in order to have interviews with some prominent nannies..

It is really heartbreaking for all women who lost their child..

I saw this photo of a pregnant Grace when Caroline and Albert were little tots. http://i49.tinypic.com/16laici.jpg

She had a miscarrige when she went to Canada in July 1967.
The Royal Digest: Grace Kelly: Visiting Canada with Prince Rainier and Children July 1967

I think that this picture is of Grace and Stephanie and Grace looks pregnant. http://i55.tinypic.com/wl2jw8.jpg

Donald was being interviewed by Diane Sawyer. He wrote the book “High Society, the life of Grace Kelly” I saw this on youtube. Donald said: “For all her warmth and joy, she had an undercurrent of melancholy. What people were not aware of was, and I was given this this information and I was pleased to have it because it enables us to understand her more fully. She had a number of miscarriages in the early 60’s and that pitched her into a terrible series of depressions which took some time to emerge from. "

Last edited:
I don't think the reason women (royal or not) don't talk about their miscarriages is because there is a stigma.
I think it's a very painful thing and having to explain over and over again what happened (or see it in the tabloids) is even more painful.
I have never had a miscarriage and have three healthy children, but actually feel that I am the unusual one, among the women I know that I am close enough that they would tell me. I don't know many mothers of families who have never had a miscarriage. And a miscarriage can definitely be as painful as a stillbirth from what people have shared with me even if the woman has a lot of children. Each one is unique and they keep thinking about what would have been.

Seems like it a more common occurance than what people think. I was surprised at how many women I know (family members,friends, other women) have had miscarriages. I can think of almost 10 women just off the top of my head that I know who have gone through this.

I would imagine if the average person knows several women who have had a miscarriage, no doubt most royals probably know of a family member or another royal whose had one as well. I would be very surprised if any of them ever discussed it at great length among themselves.

I remember being at a job where this woman talked at length about her 2 miscarriages going into great detail about the whole thing. I remember being very uncomfortable listening to her talking about it at length as did several other women who were in the room. No one knew what to say to her which is why this topic of conversation is avoided.

Did Queen Ingrid of Denmark ever had a miscarriage?It seemed to take a long time to give birth to her first child after marriage.

I have never heard that. Where did you hear that from?

Some thing only a Royal lady in past one thousand years could understand probably. Must have been horrid for them.

Princess Grace had two miscariages between the birth of Albert and the birth of Princess Stéphanie, Rainier and Grace called Stéphanie ' the child of miracle', Princess Grace had also a miscariage in 1967, she was at Montréal and a biography said it was a little boy.

By the way, French reporter ( I think) Stephane Bern once mentioned that Duchess of Cambridge had a miscarriage before pregnancy with George. It hadn't been confirmed, so I wonder from what source he got this information.

Princess Grace had two miscariages between the birth of Albert and the birth of Princess Stéphanie, Rainier and Grace called Stéphanie ' the child of miracle', Princess Grace had also a miscariage in 1967, she was at Montréal and a biography said it was a little boy.

The 1967 tragedy in Montreal was not technically a miscarriage as the princess was in her third trimester when she delivered the stillborn son. In medical terms it's called a "missed abortion" because the infant had been dead inside Grace for some time:sad:.

By the way, French reporter ( I think) Stephane Bern once mentioned that Duchess of Cambridge had a miscarriage before pregnancy with George. It hadn't been confirmed, so I wonder from what source he got this information.

It could be true but will likely never be confirmed. Miscarriage is actually very common - 1:4 pregnancies end in miscarriage and 1:100 end in ectopic pregnancies.

I didn't know Princess Grace had suffered so many miscarriages although she was lucky to have 3 children. Some poor women suffer many miscarriages and can never eventually conceive a child or sustain a pregnancy.

It was indeed Stéphane Bern. He said in December 2013 (just after the first pregnancy announcement ) that the Duchess had a miscarriage in July 2011, just three months after her wedding.

I don't remember if it was from him as well, but it's rumored Princess Charlene of Monaco also had a miscarriage in 2011.

Royal miscarriages

How the heck would he find that out if true?

2012 was super busy with William in the Falklands for the beginning, the diamond jubilee, Olympics plus the S Pacific tour which was announced early on so there was not a baby making window until after they came back in September and thus that's when George happened.

If they went 8 years without an oops baby, then a oops baby doesn't seem likely. A miscarriage story isn't going to be proved false because the palace isn't going to comment on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
No matter how long ago, these things will always hurt.

I had no idea at all that Queen Sonja had suffered a miscarriage all those years ago.

Miscarriage is such a traumatic experience and the emotions will last a life-time.

Very sad story about Queen Sonja. Thankfully her mother was with her to provide support as this is what she needed at the time.

I didn't know Sonja had a miscarriage. Its always heart breaking but being that far along (sounds like at least 4 months). They had already told the public and everyone was excited for the new heir. Back in those times when only boys could inherit, the fact it was a boy would be even harder. Miscarriages are hard enough for any woman, I can only imagine going through it in such a public spotlight. Thankfully she not only had her husband but her mother and even father in law there for support.

Queen Sonja had good family support which was very important.

Back
Top Bottom