Royal Miscarriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that Queen Silvia of Sweden had a miscarriage after Princess Madeline.

According to Royalsa Queen Sonja had two miscarriges:
1. Miscarriage (2 July 1970)
2. Martha-Louise (22 September 1971)
3. Miscarriage (3 June 1972)
4. Haakon Magnus (20 July 1973)

Princess Grace

Here is a quote from the book Once Upon A Time by J. Randy JaraborrelliIn 1967, 37 year old Grace became pregnant once again. However, while at the Montreal Exposition with Rainier and their two oldest children, she became ill. Rupert Allan was with her in Montreal at the time. He later recalled being present when she was taken to the hospital. "It was the sixth time she had been pregnant," he said "She was devestated by the loss of that child. They said the baby, a boy, had been dead for a month inside her. She so wanted more children, but after 3 miscarraiges in eleven years, the doctors told her that it would never happen for her. I'd never seen her more bereft in all the time I had known her. Rainier was also deeply saddened.

To me the counted cases also seem abnormally many :confused:
There are even ratings saying, that 60% of all fertilised eggs (later embryos) die off before the 22nd week. But in most cases the women even don´t know, they were pregnant. I guess this also applies for Royal women.
So I wonder, how many CONFIRMED pregnancies ended as miscarriage. A lot here just seems to be rumours. Rumours I can´t imagine to be verified by the various Royals. Why should we rather know about the miscarriages (at an early stage) of Royals than about the ones of our families, neighbours and friends :confused:
I only know about infanta Elena having a miscarriage, after her pregnancy was confirmed of the Spanish court.
Do you have more examples?

Queen Suzani of the Albanians had two miscarriages before giving birth to a stillborn girl while in Rhodesia. She was 41 when she gave birth to her only surviving child, Leka Anwar Reza Baudouin Msiziwe.

lashinka2002 said:
Here is a quote from the book Once Upon A Time by J. Randy JaraborrelliIn 1967, 37 year old Grace became pregnant once again. However, while at the Montreal Exposition with Rainier and their two oldest children, she became ill. Rupert Allan was with her in Montreal at the time. He later recalled being present when she was taken to the hospital. "It was the sixth time she had been pregnant," he said "She was devestated by the loss of that child. They said the baby, a boy, had been dead for a month inside her. She so wanted more children, but after 3 miscarraiges in eleven years, the doctors told her that it would never happen for her. I'd never seen her more bereft in all the time I had known her. Rainier was also deeply saddened.

yeah I read that also They say that is why she spoiled stephanie so much because she was her last child . very sad

I didn't know that Queen Noor had a miscarriage. She was in Greece, they said. It must have helped that Anne-Marie was there, having gone through such a thing.

Did Mette-Marit have a miscarriage? This website: Compete List Of Descendants says that she did, or at least gives evidence that she was pregnant and due in October 2002. It would have been interesting had she not lost the baby and the child would have been a boy, Norway would not have a future queen, but another king.

Did Mette-Marit have a miscarriage? This website: Compete List Of Descendants says that she did, or at least gives evidence that she was pregnant and due in October 2002. It would have been interesting had she not lost the baby and the child would have been a boy, Norway would not have a future queen, but another king.

If she was, it certainly wasn't announced by the palace - or blown up in the media. 2002 was the year she was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia, broke her ankle skiing, didn't go to Germany with Haakon, because of her bad sunburn.

Märtha Louise's first pregnancy was announced in october 2002.

Last edited:
My heart goes out to all those women (royal or not) who suffered a stillborn birth.
A stillborn as opposed to a miscarriage or spontanous abortion (a term also used for miscarriage, not only for the intended termination of a pregnancy) is a child that died shortly before, during or shortly after delivery.
Which to me is so much more devasting than if the pregnancy ends in month 1-5. The expectant mother has bonded already so much with the fetus inside her, that the loss is almost as big as loosing the baby as an infant.
Especially cruesame used to be when the baby was detected dead in the womb however before quite recently most women had to go thru labour and delivery anyway. How very painful and cruel to endure so much agony knowing your little one will not come into your arms but...

That at least today is much easier, with advanced medical possibilities we can detect a baby in distress much earlier and often already help the unborn fetus. And if not we can at least save the mother some agony by doing a c-sec.

Do you think, that the mothers, who had lost their children during her pregnancy, think every day on the dead children and imagine how it would be, when they weren't dead?

I hope for all pregnant women, either royal or not, that all the best will cover them and that the babies will have a healthy and enjoyable life.

To tell the truth I don´t believe in Queen Anne-Marie having had a miscarriage in December of 1967. This would mean that she was again about three month pregnant after she just had given birth to Pavlos in May. I have the feeling those rumours were spread to excite pity for them who had to flee the country just then.
That Elena had a miscarriage only one day after her father announced the new pregnancy was also a bit strange.
But to explain the accumulation of miscarriages it might be one reason because the royal houses were too close related to each other specially in the 19th century. (Inbreeding)

According to Royalsa Queen Sonja had two miscarriges:
1. Miscarriage (2 July 1970)
I think 2nd July 1970 was the day the palace announced the pregnancy!

Sonja's pregnancy was announced just a few days before her 33rd Birthday.
When her official Birthdayportrait was published she was still pregnant.
You can see it here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/10863-post1.html
she lost her baby just at the time of her birthday (around July 4th)... :ermm: :(

I read a statistic that almost half of pregnancies end in a spontaneous abortion, often before the mother realizes, so miscarriages aren't uncommon. It's just that they aren't talked about very often. (Like my grandmother lost 2 pregnancies that her children never knew about until she was dying.)

She also had to have an abortion when tests showed that the child was severely deformed/handicapped. I believe that she had contracted rubella during the early part of the pregnancy.

I understand the Duchess of Kent had a miscarriage and then had to have an abortion because of a problem with the latter baby. And that might account for some of her depression issues and her conversion to Catholicism. (Anyone who has such pain or who has to deal with depression has my sympathy.) I have always admired the Duchess greatly.

I read a statistic that almost half of pregnancies end in a spontaneous abortion, often before the mother realizes, so miscarriages aren't uncommon. It's just that they aren't talked about very often. (Like my grandmother lost 2 pregnancies that her children never knew about until she was dying.)

In this day and age women can find out if they're pregnant much earlier than previous generations. We can use tests, while our grandmothers needed to miss a cycle or two to confirm a pregnancy.

One of the awful things about Royal women having miscarriages is that number one, they basically exist to breed. So if they cannot bear healthy living children what a number that must do on their sense of self worth. Also for a "normal" couple this would be a private issue that could be dealt with without having to read about yourself in the tabloids. In cases where there is an infertility issue(like CP Masako and Queen Fabiola) endless personal speculation about your marriage and your gynecological situation must be humiliating indeed.

Speaking of Fabiola, author Paul Belien in his book "A Throne for Brussels" says that Paola used to call Fabiola "the barren Queen" behind her back and make snide comments about how it was a good thing Fabiola had so many public duties since "she doesn't have anything else to do with her time". I hope those comments are simply hearsay and not true because I really like and admire Paola and cannot imagine a woman being that cruel about another woman's inability to bear children.

Also, after reading about Fabiola's five miscarriages I understand more why the late King Baudouin agonized so over the abortion issue and decided he could not sign the bill liberalizing it.

OMG . . . . that's SOOO sad about Queen Fabiola's 5 miscarriages :sad:

I also noticed that Princess Irmingard of Bavaria (married to Prince Lutipold of Bavaria b. 1913) had two daughters that died the day they were born :sad:

Were said daughters stillborn?

Did Queen Ingrid of Denmark ever had a miscarriage?It seemed to take a long time to give birth to her first child after marriage.

Yes - she had a couple before Margrethe's birth, and then at least one betweeen Margrethe and Benedikte.

Did Queen Maud also have a miscarrage?It seems weird that she only had one child in her days.

There's nothing recorded about Maud, but of course it's always possible. I do think she probably had difficulty getting pregnant, though.

If you look at that waist of hers, it doesn't surprise me she had difficulties. So tiny!

Do you think, that the mothers, who had lost their children during her pregnancy, think every day on the dead children and imagine how it would be, when they weren't dead?

I hope for all pregnant women, either royal or not, that all the best will cover them and that the babies will have a healthy and enjoyable life.

Im pretty sure that the royal woman who goes throug a miscarriages is just like you and me. That is something you never forget. I had 3 miscarriages and its not one day that goes by, that i think about that i could have 3 children. How would they look like, would they do fine at school + + +

And how about P. Caroline of Monaco? The reason i ask this, is that, a short while after Pierre's birth she was potographed on the beach with a rather large waste... and rumours of a pregnancy started flying aroung. Also a more or less six month about Alexandra's birth her proeminent stomach called the attentention of the press and... a new pregnancy came to the reporters minds. And who can forget a couple of pictures taken in Thailand that came to light in January 2006? P. Caroline was already 49, but her belly was soooo proeminent that EVERYBODY gave a late pregnancy for sure!!!

When a specific date passes or something else triggers the memory, yes we think about them.
In my case I sometimes have double feelings. I got pregnant again just three months after losing my baby. So, if I hadn't lost my baby, I wouldn't have had my little 5-month-old-girl now. And I would have had a different child. I will always wonder how our child would have looked like etc. That will never go away.

I feel for the Royal women, though. There is so much (more) pressure and focus on them. Things like that doesn't make it easier to get pregnant, let alone stay pregnant and cope with it if something goes wrong.

Didn't Queen Margarethe of Denmark have one or two miscarriages, too? :ermm:

I think I remember something like this was discussed when Mary expected her twins. Something along the line "QM always wanted to have more kids, especially daughters to her son, too." But I'm not sure whether her missing daughters are due to miscarriages or just problems conceiving them. Or rather conceiving more kids in general not just a problem conceiving daughters (which obiously isn't the womens "work", but the mens ;))? :ermm: Or was it due to hard previous pregnancys with her sons that the doctor said she shouldn't risk another pregnancy? :ermm:

Can anyone shed any light to this? :confused: Because I obviously have no specific memories about the reason for her "only" having two sons. I just seem to remember the fact that she always wanted to have more kids.

Back
Top Bottom