Royal Marriage Proposals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daniel proposed in the castle garden IRC. He got on one knee and everything. He knew that Victoria wanted to be asked outdoors.

"Here catch"
Oh that is so cute and sweet, I would love to be proposed to like that. None of that rose petals and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read about Nicholas' proposal to Alix, it was more of an ordeal than romantic. Nicholas spent a 2 or 3 days (after many years) in the 1894 wedding of Alix's brother Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse to their first cousin Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, trying to persuade Alix to marry him. There was quite a lot of tears shed while Alix had to choose between faith and love. It wasn't that she did not love or want to marry him. She did not want to give up her Lutheran religion and convert to Russian Orthodoxy. Eventually (with encouragement from her sister Grand Duchess Ella) she agreed and became a fervent convert, for better or for worse.

I also remember reading that Kaiser Wilhelm II was very adamant about the marriage, and at one point basically thrust a bouquet of flowers into Nikolai's hands and pushed him towards the room where Alix was. i'm not sure if that actually occurred, but considering the personality of Wilhelm, I would not put that type of behavior past him.

I read somewhere that when Edward proposed to Sophie,her response was "Yes please".

I thought about how I would react if I was asked to catch my engagement ring. It would probably depend on the mood I was in. I found this to be amusing when I read about it.

I have to say that catching an engagement ring tossed to you wouldn't be my ideal version of a proposal. I like W-A's method with Maxima much better!

Last edited:
Victoria and Daniel tell about the proposal at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop".
On a sparkling winter's day at the lake, Victoria and Daniel are walking on Drottningholm castle estate. "Victoria did not know it," says Daniel, "But I had prepared the moment carefully." In his pocket he had a hand-written speech about their time together.
Victoria tells: "It was a lovely winter day on our walk. And then Daniel says: I would like to read something to you. And then you make a wonderful speech that you had written about our time together, our experiences and what we like to do, special dates and events. There I sat. And then you went to on your knee in the snow and proposed. And I said yes, yes, yes."
When she got up, she thought that the children and their parents, who were playing with sleds in the fresh snow on the ice does not have a clue. "If they only knew," said the Crown Princess. "It felt so special, it was just perfect. I just wanted to shout out what happened so that everyone could hear. My whole body was tingling of happiness."
Daniel tells: "Victoria had clearly told a few years before, that she didn´t want to be proposed in some swanky place abroad. She would like it to happen in Sweden and outdoors. I had clear directives on how it would go and then I had two options. There was a one place up in Ockelbo which we like very much, or at Drottningholm, along our favourite walk. It was a beautiful winter day at Drottningholm, with a sunny blue sky. The day was perfect. But then you had almost given up to that I would kneel down and propose the traditional way."

Last edited:
I love how Daniel proposed! So sweet!

And William's proposal to Catherine was so romantic!
In the light of the sunset, at the foot of Mount Kenya, in the surrounding of wild nature...

Yes, that had to be one of the most romantic proposals in one of the most glorious locations in the world.

I have to say that catching an engagement ring tossed to you wouldn't be my ideal version of a proposal.

I would agree, partially because I'm not that good at sport!

There'd be nothing romantic about dropping the ring and having to crawl on your hands and knees looking for the ring on the floor or under the furniture!

I love Juan Carlos' proposal! It's quite romantic in a way and funny all at the same time. I love it and want it to happen to me that way now, haha.

William's proposal to Catherine was lovely and a lovely setting.

Prince Edward proposed to Sophie in the Bahama's when they went on holiday in December 1998. Sophie obviously accepted and Edward asked her father's permission upon their return between Christmas and New Year. He didn't propose with a ring though!

I read that Bertie (George VI) had to ask Elizabeth 3 times before she said yes. Is this true?

I read that Bertie (George VI) had to ask Elizabeth 3 times before she said yes. Is this true?

He initially proposed to Elizabeth in 1921, but she turned him down, being "afraid never, never again to be free to think, speak and act as I feel I really ought to". In February 1922, Elizabeth was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Albert's sister, Princess Mary, to Viscount Lascelles. The following month, Albert proposed again, but she refused him once more. Eventually, in January 1923, Elizabeth agreed to marry Albert, despite her misgivings about royal life.

He initially proposed to Elizabeth in 1921, but she turned him down, being "afraid never, never again to be free to think, speak and act as I feel I really ought to". In February 1922, Elizabeth was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Albert's sister, Princess Mary, to Viscount Lascelles. The following month, Albert proposed again, but she refused him once more. Eventually, in January 1923, Elizabeth agreed to marry Albert, despite her misgivings about royal life.

Persistence paid off and their relationship turned out to be one of the most beautiful in the Windsor family history.

Persistence paid off and their relationship turned out to be one of the most beautiful in the Windsor family history.

Not if you hear the poisonous Lady Colin Campbell tell it....

And William's proposal to Catherine was so romantic!
In the light of the sunset, at the foot of Mount Kenya, in the surrounding of wild nature...

I'm not knocking their proposal n anyway as it must have been so unbelievably romantic... The sunset in Kenya! I mean, wow!

It seems like so many people get engaged under the sunset -so, I was hoping to hear something more fun, but I will say, it's rather exotic so to speak.

I hope to be a sunset girl myself, as I am a sucker for sunsets!

I'm not knocking their proposal n anyway as it must have been so unbelievably romantic... The sunset in Kenya! I mean, wow!

It seems like so many people get engaged under the sunset -so, I was hoping to hear something more fun, but I will say, it's rather exotic so to speak.

I hope to be a sunset girl myself, as I am a sucker for sunsets!

Fun? What about Lord Frederick Windsor's proposal to Sophie - he wrote "Will you marry me?" on a scrabble board! That's fun.

Fun? What about Lord Frederick Windsor's proposal to Sophie - he wrote "Will you marry me?" on a scrabble board! That's fun.

Now that is my kind of proposal. I'm the ring in the glass kind of gal. William's proposal was generic IMO.

How Did They Propose?

What were the particulars of whatever Royals Proposals current or past?

Queen Victoria had to propose to Prince Albert, because she was higher than him.

Prince Edward proposed to Sophie in the Bahamas's just before Christmas in 1998.

Will proposed to Kate at a log cabbin at the base of Mt Kenya when they were on a safari.

Andrew proposed to Fergie at Floors Castle, said to be where they shared their first kiss.

Daniel proposed to Victoria in the gardens of Drottingham palace.

In Spain there seems to be an official engagement ceremony that takes place. I assume Felipe would have asked Letizia privately before that but cant find any details on that. The official ceremony was at Pardo palace.

Contrary to a movie that showed him proposing on the side of a road in Tasmania, Fred proposed to Mary on a vacation he planned to Rome.

MM and Haakon all I can really find is they were living together for some time before an engagement was announced, cant find any detail.

WA is said to have proposed in the gardens in winter time, down on the frozen ice of a pond.

Joachim proposed to Marie when they were on vacation in Turkey.

Madeleine would only say Chris proposed in October. In the engagement interview she said they wanted to keep any details private.

CP proposed to Sofia on her way to work. Exact location they have not said, but a special place in the countryside near their summer home.

They all sound lovely :) what about Phillipe and Mathilde?

Cant find anything on those two, like a few of the others. Their engagement came as a shock as almost no one knew Philippe (38 at the time) was even dating. There are accusations it was an arranged marriage, though the couple deny it and say they were dating for years.

Gui and Steph were like Maddie,they chose to keep details of their engagement private in their engagement interview.

Mike is said to have proposed at their house while she was watching tv, he got down on one knee while she was on the sofa. She was so shocked she was laughing but said yes when she stopped.

Peter had planned to propose in a hot air balloon but bad weather stopped it. He instead proposed to Autumn when they were walking their dog in the country side. She said she didn't feel quite beautiful for it in her wellies and wet hair as it was raining, but accepted.

Prince George of Wales proposed to Princess Victoria Mary of Teck next to the pond in his sister's garden on April 29, 1893.

Back
Top Bottom