Royal Hunting Traditions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amaryllus

Royal Highness
City
bedford
Country
United States
I apologize if there is a thread for this already but Other than the Danes and Brits do the other current kings and CP's like Willem-Alexander, Haakon , etc. still participate on the down low?

I believe the king of Sweden hosts a hunt (annually?) which other royals sometimes attend. May be wrong though...

The dutch royals incl K.Willem-Alexander participate in hunts, but this is kept rather lowkey (no big photoshoots etc); hunting is a passtime that is often criticized in the NL, especially by certain groups (but imo the general public is not very hunt-minded either).

As is well known through some unfortunate accidents :) K.Juan-Carlos hunts as well, although maybe not so much at the moment (due to forementioned scandals and poor health)

Caroline of Monaco participated in hunts in Extramadura when she was together with Ernst of Hannover.

I believe Rainier hunted at his Chateau de Marchais.

Did all the sons (except Prince John) of King George V of England regularly go hunting with their father?

Prince Albert. the Duke of York (the future King George VI) participated in a hunting party in October 1920.

In H.R.H. The Man Who Will Be King, Tim Heald and Mayo Mohs wrote:

Prince Charles has taken avidly to deer-stalking. He hunts with a custom 7-mm rifle, built by one of the stalkers on the Balmoral estate.

In H.R.H. The Man Who Will Be King, Tim Heald and Mayo Mohs wrote:

Prince Charles has taken avidly to deer-stalking. He hunts with a custom 7-mm rifle, built by one of the stalkers on the Balmoral estate.

This book was published in the 70's, are there still enough deer on Balmoral to make hunting necessary?

This book was published in the 70's, are there still enough deer on Balmoral to make hunting necessary?

My understanding of deer-stalking is that you spend the whole day creeping about on your hands and knees in cold, wet and windy weather getting thoroughly messy with mud and goodness knows what else all over your tweeds in the hope of getting close enough to the deer. The slightest sound, such as a sniff or cough, will send the deer bolting off over a crop of rocks and you have to start all over again. So, in practice, I do not think very many many deer are killed in this form of hunting.
I'd rather stay indoors having tea and Dundee cake with the ladies!

I apologize if there is a thread for this already but Other than the Danes and Brits do the other current kings and CP's like Willem-Alexander, Haakon , etc. still participate on the down low?

The King of the Netherlands holds the hunting rights on the royal estates. The management of the estates is in hands of the Royal Forestry and is lead by the King's Chief Forester. (So there is no "Master of the Hunt").

Like on any other domain in the Netherlands, the hunt must be allowed by the authorities and be done in the framework of sustainable wildlife management. Only those with a license to hunt get the required permit. For this license modules with theory and practice must be done:
- module Hunting and Wildlife management
- module Wildlife Hygiene (= recognizing wildlife diseases)
- module Hunting with birds of prey and duck cages
- module Knowledge and management of (Roe) Deer

This means that the oldfashioned hunts with amateur ladies and gentlemen shooting on all what moves is not allowed. When there are organized hunts, then it are the licensed hunters who shoot. King Willem-Alexander has such a license b.t.w.

:flowers:

Queen Philippa, consort of King Edward III of England, hunted at Cosham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom