Royal House Suppliers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
European royal houses have many thousands of suppliers, both for the royal family personally and for the royal families. However, only a few of them receive a predicate as a supplier of the royal court. This is done according to the same criteria as in Denmark: long-term trade in a given volume of high-quality products. In all countries, good business practices are also included in the assessment of an emerging judicial supplier.
In some countries, court suppliers have their own association that combines ancient traditions with modern businesses, holds meetings and supports, for example. education of young people.

Belgium:
Les Fournisseurs Brevetés de la Cour de Belgique

Denmark:
Hoflev.dk

Dutch:
https://www.hofleverancier.nu/

Sweden:
https://www.hovlev.se/

United Kingdom:
https://www.royalwarrant.org/

Luxembourg Court Suppliers:
Fournisseurs de la Cour - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thank you for this informative treasure trove on royal warrants. I was aware of the British Royal Warrant just because of my familiarity of the British. Excellent websites!

Wow, amazing information. Never saw into the royal suppliers before, do you know if Spanish or Japanese royal house the offer similar pages?

European royal houses have many thousands of suppliers, both for the royal family personally and for the royal families. However, only a few of them receive a predicate as a supplier of the royal court. This is done according to the same criteria as in Denmark: long-term trade in a given volume of high-quality products. In all countries, good business practices are also included in the assessment of an emerging judicial supplier.
In some countries, court suppliers have their own association that combines ancient traditions with modern businesses, holds meetings and supports, for example. education of young people.

Belgium:
Les Fournisseurs Brevetés de la Cour de Belgique

Denmark:
Hoflev.dk

Dutch:
http://www.hofleverancier.nu/

Sweden:
http://www.hovlev.se/

United Kingdom:
http://www.royalwarrant.org/

A 'Hofleverancier' (court supplier) in the Netherlands, doesn't necessarily assist the court with their services. They mainly need to have a good reputation and meet several criteria; so it's mostly a badge of honor for small and medium enterprises that exist for at least 100 years and are 'of impeccable behavior'. Every 25 years it needs to be evaluated before it is extended.

Last edited:
King Gustaf VI Adolf had more than 1,100 official purveyors. Every town with self-respect had its own court photographer, jeweller and patissier.
The system was changed in 1973 when King Carl XVI Gustaf became the country’s monarch. The charge for a royal warrant was eliminated and H.M. the King set new, stricter, rules for the title of Purveyor to the Royal Court. This new approach resulted in the rejuvenation of this attractive title.
King Carl XVI Gustaf has so far issued about 130 royal warrants. The holders are all representatives of Swedish companies and they come from a wide variety of enterprises. Many are based in rural areas. Many are small. Some are well known, others are new acquaintances. They all share a desire to supply high-quality products and services.
Purveyor to the Royal Court of Sweden – hovlev.se

Purveyor to the Court
Companies that are appointed by the Royal Court to supply goods or services to a member of the Royal Family are Purveyors to the Court.
Purveyors to the Court are appointed by His Majesty The King.
In order to qualify as Purveyor to the Court a company must have delivered goods or services to the Royal Court for at least five years. Furthermore, the companies finances must be conducted without fault.
Purveyor to the Court - Sveriges Kungahus

Does anybody know, if these royal approvals are of commercial relevance?

I mean, we are living in capitalism and everything is about capital, i.e. money - So, are there any examinations, if and how the profits of the enterprises rose after the royal approval?

What comes to mind, is the Princess of Cambridge and how the mention of her wearing this or that outfit emptied the shelves. It has become become much quiter now around her fashion, but back then, it was a thing.

King Gustaf VI Adolf had more than 1,100 official purveyors. Every town with self-respect had its own court photographer, jeweller and patissier.
The system was changed in 1973 when King Carl XVI Gustaf became the country’s monarch. The charge for a royal warrant was eliminated and H.M. the King set new, stricter, rules for the title of Purveyor to the Royal Court. This new approach resulted in the rejuvenation of this attractive title.
King Carl XVI Gustaf has so far issued about 130 royal warrants. The holders are all representatives of Swedish companies and they come from a wide variety of enterprises. Many are based in rural areas. Many are small. Some are well known, others are new acquaintances. They all share a desire to supply high-quality products and services.
Purveyor to the Royal Court of Sweden – hovlev.se

I'm not clear on the motivation for the change; would it not have built more connections between the monarchy and the public if each of their hometowns hosted local royal purveyors?

I mean, we are living in capitalism and everything is about capital, i.e. money - So, are there any examinations, if and how the profits of the enterprises rose after the royal approval?

What comes to mind, is the Princess of Cambridge and how the mention of her wearing this or that outfit emptied the shelves. It has become become much quiter now around her fashion, but back then, it was a thing.

The Duchess of Cambridge (The princess of Cambridge is Charlotte and she has not started any fashion trends just yet) wearing a designer is not the same as being an official supplier to the court. Yes what she and Meghan have worn have helped numerous businesses with their sales though.

In Uk they are called royal warrant holders. They still charge for their services to the royals, but they can advertise in an official capacity that they are official suppliers to the royal family. There is about 883 currently in place, granted by the Queen, Philip and Charles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Warrant_holders_of_the_British_Royal_Family

Certainly many of the smaller brands who have been granted a warrant have received quite a boost from the royal family. Brands that may have not been known even on a national level, got advertising they would not have had before. There are many people who would love to say they drank the same tea or wear the same boots as the monarch or her heir.

This is an example of how a warrant is displayed. A fishing rod company with a warrant from Charles.

https://www.hardyfishing.com/Hardy-royal-warrant.html

Many of them, it is cool, do you know guys how a brand got selected? I would expect some kind of application service. However, I am pretty sure that is the Royal Family the ones that chose, so no application needed, right?

The Duchess of Cambridge (The princess of Cambridge is Charlotte and she has not started any fashion trends just yet)"..."
This is an example of how a warrant is displayed. A fishing rod company with a warrant from Charles.

https://www.hardyfishing.com/Hardy-royal-warrant.html

Ah, yes, of course: The Duchess! I was so busy not calling her "Kate", I messed it up - Sorry and Thanks! :flowers:

And Thanks for the display of the warrant! Very interesting!

Many of them, it is cool, do you know guys how a brand got selected? I would expect some kind of application service. However, I am pretty sure that is the Royal Family the ones that chose, so no application needed, right?

According to the official website

Companies can apply for a Royal Warrant after they have supplied the Households of HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or HRH The Prince of Wales with goods or services for at least five years out of seven (to include during the 12 months before applying).
Royal Warrants are not granted for professional services – e.g. bankers, brokers or agents, solicitors, employment agencies, training providers, veterinary services, government agencies – or to newspapers, magazines, journals, periodicals or similar publications.
Royal Warrants are granted for up to five years and only to companies that provide goods or services to the Royal Household. Goods purchased for re-sale by souvenir shops run by Royal Collection Enterprises and the Private Estates, and goods or services provided to the Crown Estate, Historic Royal Palaces, the Duchies of Cornwall or Lancaster and Royal Parks do not qualify.

https://www.royalwarrant.org/

I don't know if it enhance the trade of their products as such.

But it's a very sought after quality stamp that makes it a lot easier to make deals with other companies and gain a foothold in other markets.
The title means your business is sound.
The owner doesn't have obvious skeletons in the closet.
The service and quality is top.
And the company is reliable to make deals with.
- Because of course the company is vetted. You don't get the crown just because you have delivered a number of times to the court
And after some years the owner may be awarded with the title of chamberlain, which is an official stamp of high personal integrity.

Let me put it in a different way: Losing it is bad!
As in seriously bad!
It happens so rarely that it makes it way up in the news. And that's bad for business.
Recently a chamberlain was stripped of his title. And all of a sudden a lot of doors were closed. Other businessmen didn't want to associate with and certainly didn't want to be seen associating with him.

Last edited:
The warrants are granted for a period of five years and reviewed in the year before it ends. About 20-30 are cancelled every year, and a similar number are created at the time as well.

But yes, being stripped of the warrant is a whole other matter.

The phrase loose lips sink ships......loose lips lose warrants. The queen's bra provider lost the warrant they held for 57 years when the owner wrote a book.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a15073847/royal-bra-maker-loses-warrant/

The warrants are granted for a period of five years and reviewed in the year before it ends. About 20-30 are cancelled every year, and a similar number are created at the time as well.

But yes, being stripped of the warrant is a whole other matter.

The phrase loose lips sink ships......loose lips lose warrants. The queen's bra provider lost the warrant they held for 57 years when the owner wrote a book.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a15073847/royal-bra-maker-loses-warrant/

In Britain perhaps.
Not in DK. Here it's granted until stripped by the monarch or the company for other reasons change markedly. (I understand the stamp is given to the CV number.)
It's the owner of a service/company who puts in a request after many years of regularly supplying services or goods to the court. (Basically you don't apply until you are sure you will get an approval.)

I'm not clear on the motivation for the change; would it not have built more connections between the monarchy and the public if each of their hometowns hosted local royal purveyors?
In the reign of Gustav IV Adolf, as was pointed out by LadyFinn, the warrant did not have to be that closely tied to the court and the warrant could also be given by several members of the Royal family such as Princess Sibylla and Prince Bertil.This resulted in a plethora of warrant holders and that the value of the warrant itself got diminished.
Today in order to qualify as Purveyor to the Court a company must have delivered goods or services to the Royal Court for at least five years. Furthermore, the companies finances must be conducted without fault. The title Purveyor to the Court follows the Managing Director of the company. This means that if the Managing Director leaves the company then the company automatically loses the title and has to reapply for it to be renewed. It is also possible for a company to loose the warrant if it's found to have been mismanaged, it has changed operational focus or if it has ceased production of the product it delivers to the Royal Court.
If you're curious to look at the current warrant holders they have a website https://www.hovlev.se/

Last edited:
I bought the Victoria agg tval soap in Sweden.
And I love the Fortnum and Mason teas.
The Belgian site is under construction but I think the Jules Destroopere cookies are on their list.

What ‘royal’ products do you use or recommend?

:previous:

Pierre Marcolini chocolate, Neuhaus chocolate and the cakes of patisserie Wittamar in the Sablon.

Last edited:
In Britain perhaps.
Not in DK.
Here it's granted until stripped by the monarch or the company for other reasons change markedly. (I understand the stamp is given to the CV number.)
It's the owner of a service/company who puts in a request after many years of regularly supplying services or goods to the court. (Basically you don't apply until you are sure you will get an approval.)

Indeed it is very important to distinguish between the various countries because each had a different approach. So, it might be interesting to identify the key characteristics (such as 'selection criteria', 'duration', and probably 'when you loose it') for the various countries.

As I stated before in the Netherlands you don't need to serve the court in any way to become a 'hofleverancier'; it truly is a badge of honor for small and medium enterprises that exist for at least 100 years and are 'impeccable'; with a standard duration of 25 years, after which reapplication is required. A company may loose the distinction if they are no longer considered 'impeccable'.

Back
Top Bottom