Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've read in the past that Prince Willem-Alexander and his parents felt that they all needed some time apart during his school years in Wales.

"Together we did not love each other anymore"

TLLK said:
I think I've read in the past that Prince Willem-Alexander and his parents felt that they all needed some time apart during his school years in Wales.

Yes. The Prince himself said in an interview more or less something like (I do not have the right words)
"You see: I love my parents. And my parents love me. But together we did not love each other anymore."

The Prince had problems in accepting that he was the only guy in the Netherlands which had nothing to say about his own future, and that since the very minute he was born. And the Prince, who is a more laissez-faire, laissez-passer type of person, continuously clashed with his demanding and perfectionistic mother.

So getting out of The Hague, away from the royal family, away from the prying eyes of the press, to a place where no one knew him was like a liberation for him. When he returned and assumed his military duties, he had found peace with his destiny and understood his mother's drive for perfection.

:flowers:

Fantastic picture of mother and son, aboard of De Groene Draeck (The Green Dragon), the Queen's private sailyacht)

yvr girl said:
Prince Andrew spent some time in Lakefield College in Canada, and Prince Edward went to a school in New Zealand.
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Lakefield, but didn't know about Prince Edward going to New Zealand.

Peter and Zara Phillips : Port Regis (Dorset?) and Gordonstoun

Princess Beatrice : St George, Ascot

Princess Eugenie : Marlborough College

HRH The Princess Royal : Benenden School

I think before Marlborough, Captain Phillips was at Stowe (unsure)?

Lady Gabriella Windsor - Downe House

Lord Frederick Windsor - Eton College (where did he go for prep school, anyone know? I know for pre-prep/non-boarding he went to Wetherby like the Wales boys).

Henri M. said:
Fantastic picture of mother and son, aboard of De Groene Draeck (The Green Dragon), the Queen's private sailyacht)

Great pic! I see W-A hasn't really changed that much over the years.

This is a very interesting thread.

Does anyone know about Prince Philippe and his siblings and also Prince Felipe and his sisters, did any of them attend boarding schools?

Last edited:
I know Prince Felipe went to Lakefield College in Canada for a while. How about his sisters and the King?

I read in a book about King Juan Carlos that he had private schooling. But I'm not that up on it maybe someone else can help us out.

Also I forgot to ask about Denmark's RF and their schooling in my previous post. Anyone know?

I'm getting a little confused what is exactly being classified a boarding school? Going off to college when one is a young adult in my opinion and at least where I'm from that would not be classified a boarding school. Boarding schools are usually for young ones(elementary, junior high, and high school age groups). College and university studies are completely different in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I did some research at wikipedia

For the Danish princes: Fred and Joachim both attended Ecole des Roches in Normandy for only a year. It said it was from 1982 to 1983 for both so they must have been there together.

This isn't as easy as I thought it would be doing some research on this b/c I don't know a lot of the schools and whether or not there boarding schools. :wacko:

Aurora810 said:
I'm getting a little confused what is exactly being classified a boarding school? Going off to college when one is a young adult in my opinion and at least where I'm from that would not be classified a boarding school. Boarding schools are usually for young ones(elementary, junior high, and high school age groups). College and university studies are completely different in my mind.

Lakefield isn't what you normally think of as a college. It's a prep school. I believe Prince Andrew went there on an exchange from Gordonstoun for a term or two.

yvr girl said:
Lakefield isn't what you normally think of as a college. It's a prep school. I believe Prince Andrew went there on an exchange from Gordonstoun for a term or two.

Yeah I already looked it up it says it's classified as a boarding school but it just seems that there are one or two schools that are mentioned in the thread that I'm unsure about being an actual boarding school. But I don't really know.

Thank you for the reply Henri. I can understand that he would have been frustrated by this awesome responsibility. He does have a very different personality than his mother, but I do get the sense that they have a good relationship.

He does seem to have come into his own during his thirties. His interest and activity in water conservation seems to have given him a sense of purpose while he's waiting for his ascension. I think that marriage to Maxima has been the icing on the cake for him. They are a great team together.

Why is so little know about what goes on at the York girls schools?

Aurora810 said:
Does anyone know about Prince Philippe and his siblings?
I read somewhere that Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent didn't finish their tertary education. During the whole Laurent business in Dec, 2006 there was an article someone posted...Laurent wasn't a [how would I put it] a smart cookie. He didn't even know what [I think it was the initials of the U.N meant] and he had tutors, the whole works helping him. Astrid, well I read that she studied Art/History but she didn't complete the course for a degree. She studied, I think, in Switzerland and America for a while. Didn't Laurent stay in Belgium?

Prince Felipe

Pre-school, General Basic Education and Unified Polyvalent Baccalaureate in the College Santa Maria de los Rosales, until 1984. Concluded secondary studies, he realized the last school course equivalent to the C.O.U. in Lakefield College School, Canada, where he remained for one year.
Colegio Santa María de los Rosales
Lakefield College School

Infantas Elena and Cristina

College of Santa Maria del Camino

Princess Letizia

Public School Gesta II (Oviedo)
Colegio Público Gesta II - Oviedo

Institute of secondary Alfonso II (Oviedo)
Institute of secondary Ramiro de Matzu (Madrid)

Jaime de Marichalar

College of the Jesuítas of Burgos, San Estanislao of Kostka of Madrid and in the Yago School of Dublin, Ireland.

Iñaki Urdangarin

College Jesus' Sacred Heart in Caspe(Barcelona) and in the College Santa Maria of Pilar, of Vitoria

CasiraghiTrio said:
Prince Charles attended Cheam School, which is now Cheam-Hawtreys, a merger of two prep schools that were distinct in his day. As stated already, he went onto Gordonstoun. Don't forget about the school in Australia, Geelong, it was a boarding school, although I guess the kids were camping out in the bush, chopping wood, and kangaroo-watching -- or else according to Prince Charles in the Dimbleby biography, dodging headhunting clans....:lol: oh well, the headhunters were in Papau New Guinea....

Prince Charles went to Geelong Grammar’s Timbertop boarding school while in Australia.
On his most recent visit here last year i think it was, he went back and visited it and they had a reunion or something and he said it was a special place for him. He said this was the place that made him into a man---or something like that.

Prince Charles disliked Gordonstoun. Did Zara Phillips attend that school?

Gita said:
Prince Charles disliked Gordonstoun. Did Zara Phillips attend that school?
Charles hated some aspects of his education at Gordonstoun I believe, it was very basic and the boys had to walk along long unheated corridors to get to the shower rooms, in a Scottish winter that is no joke! According to my brothers the only places that were heated were the staff quarters, the dining hall and anywhere parents might have been expected to go. I should think things had changed by the time Zara went there.

Charlotte Casiraghi attended

École de la Republique
Lycée 1er François
Lycée Fénelon

Princess Caroline attended St Mary in Ascot.

Prince Amedeo attended Saint Jan Berchman in Brussels, but is now attending Seven Oaks in England.

Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Prince Guillaume received his primary education at the Lorentzweiler School before studying at the Robert Schuman College, both in Luxembourg. He completed his baccalaureate in Switzerland.

In August 2002, Prince Guillaume completed his military officer training at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst, England. He is a Lieutenant of the Luxembourg Army and took his oath in December 2002. The prince is currently studying for a degree in history and political sciences at Durham University in England.

Prince Félix of Luxembourg
His education includes the International School of Luxembourg; Beau Soleil boarding school, Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland. Félix currently studies in New York City.

Lord (Frederick) Windsor was education began at Ludgrove preparatory school, Wokingham, Berkshire. He then went on to Eton College (1992-1998) before attending Magdalen College, Oxford University where he studied classical literature. During 2001 he was also a trainee at a bank.

Which CP Prince/Princess has the highest IQ

Put your thinking caps on

Royals in college/university

Does anybody have pictures or amusing stories of any of the royal members while in college/university? I know Prince Felipe attended Georgetown University, any pictures of him there?

Notable Georgetown University (Royal) Alumni (List of notable Georgetown University alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited:
I remember a story of Diana hiding under the table of the room where her teachers had tea. They had great pastries and some of the students would sneak into the room and grab a few. Unfortunaltely when Diana tried the trick, a teacher came into the room and she had to hide under the table untill he would finally leave.

Pierre Casiraghi is enrolled at Bocconi University in Milan while Charlotte Casiraghi is believed to be enrolled at Sorbonne IV,Paris.

Pierre Casiraghi is enrolled at Bocconi University in Milan while Charlotte Casiraghi is believed to be enrolled at Sorbonne IV,Paris.

Any photos of them in the university setting?

Back
Top Bottom