Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to ask if anyone here knows which royals have a PhD degree? It would be fun to see all the academic degrees every royal has...

Prince Akishino: Granted Ph.D. in Ornithology from The Graduate University for Advanced Studies in 1996
Princess Kiko: Granted Ph.D. in Psychology from the Graduate School of Humanities and Sciences, Ochanomizu University in 2013
Princess Akiko: D. Phil. from the University of Oxford, UK in 2011 (I think art and culture)
Princess Hisako: Ph.D.(Arts and Culture) from the Osaka University of Arts, Japan in 2012

Sources:
Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino and their family - The Imperial Household Agency
Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Mikasa and their family - The Imperial Household Agency
Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado and her family - The Imperial Household Agency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumihito,_Prince_Akishino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiko,_Princess_Akishino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Akiko_of_Mikasa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisako,_Princess_Takamado

Thank you for the info. I was searching and most royals (current crown princely families, young Kings and Queens and royals fom their generation) own a Masters degree, though I think the British owns mostly Bachelors. So I was wondering who got PhD.

Members of Royalty (extended family in some cases) with at least a masters. Ones in Bold hold a PHD or are studying for one

Britain
-Countess of Ulster (the daughter in law of the Duke of Gloucester) is Dr Claire Booth professionally. She is a pediatrition.
-Earl of St Andrews (Duke of Kent's heir) has a masters in arts from Oxford and is a former diplomat
-his wife the Countess has a double masters degree and is a fellow and lecturer at Cambridge specializing in 18th century political theory. Their eldest son is now studying at Oxford.
-Lord Nicholas's wife Paola has a masters of Philosophy from the Sorbonne
-Lady Gabrielle after her BA from Brown completed her masters in social anthropology from Oxford. And is working on a PHD

The Lux royal brides are well educated:
-Stephanie has a masters degree
-Claire is working on a PHD after her masters in bio ethics
-Tessy is currently working on a masters in diplomacy

Dutch:
-Prince Constantijn has a law degree and a masters in business
-his wife Laurentien has a masters in journalism from Berkley
-Friso after his engineering degree received a Masters of science

Belgium:
-Amadeo has a MBA from Columbia
-Mathilde has a masters in psycology

Spain
-Felipe has a law degree and masters in foreign affairs
-Letizia has a masters in audiovisual journalism
-Cristina has a masters in international relations from NYU
-Inaki received a MBA during his professional handball years

Lichtenstein
-Prince Alois after graduating Sandhurst, went on for a masters in law
-Prince Maximillian has a MBA from Harvard
-Hans Adam has a masters in economics and business

Norway
-Haakon has a masters from the London school of economics

Greece
-Pavlos, who roomed with Felipe, also has a Masters in foreign services

Denmark
-Fred has a masters in political science though it took some time to finish

Jordan
-Princess Aisha after graduating Sandhurst has a Masters in science from the National Defense University in DC
-Princess Iman is pursuing a degree in veterinarian medicine
-Princess Raiyah is currently pursuing a PHD at UCLA

Japan
-CP Naruhito has a masters in history
-Massako was working on a masters in international relations at Oxford when she got engaged, never completed it. She has a BA from Harvard
-Prince Akishino has a PHD in ornithology
-Princess Mako recently received her postgrad degree in museum studies
-Prince Yoshi did graduate studies in science and is a cancer researcher
-Princess Akiko of Mikasa is the second in the family to receive a PHD, having one in Oriental studies from Oxford.
-Princess Takamodo has a PHD in arts as of 2012
-Princess Ayako is pursuing graduate studies in social work

Thailand
-Princess Ubolratana has a masters from UCLA in public health
-The CP's most recent ex-wife Srirasmi has a masters in home ec
-the eldest daughter of the crown prince holds a PHD in law
-Princess Sirindhorn holds a PHD in developmental education
-Princess Chulaborn holds a PHD in chemistry
* Interesting to note of the king's four children: two daughters hold doctorates and a third holds a masters degree. only the CP hasn't pursued further than a bachelors degree, concentrating on his military career

Bhutan
-Princess Sonam has a masters in law from Harvard
-her husband Phub has a masters degree from Georgetown
-Princess Chimi has a masters in public administration from Columbia as does her husband

Cambodia:
-Prince Norodorm Ranaridh has a PHD in public law

UAE
-Sultan Bin Khalifa al Nahyan, eldest son of the ruler of Abu Dabi, holds two PHD's including one from the University of Limerick
-Prince Hamed of Abu Dabi, son of Mouzza, holds a Masters in pedtroleum economics from the University of Wales
-Princess Manal, daughter of the emir of Dubai and married to Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dabi, holds a masters degree in marketing
-Sultan bin Muhammed Al-Qasimi, ruler of Sharjah holds 2 PHD's in geography and history
-his daughter Sheikha Bodour has a masters in medical anthropology

Morocco
- King Abdullah holds a PHD in law from the University of Nice
-Prince Moulay Rachid also holds a postgraduate degree in law like his brother
-Prince Moulay Hacham has a masters from Stanford where he is currently a consulting professor

Saudi Arabia
-Prince Abdulaziz holds a MBA

Bahrain
-crown prince holds a masters in history and philosophy of science from Cambridge

Swaziland
-the king's eldest daughter holds a masters degree

Bulgaria
-Prince Kubrat is a surgeon specializing in proctology
-Prince Konstantin-Assan holds a masters degree and works in banking

Yugoslavia
-Prince Alexander has a masters in fine arts in art marketing

Last edited:
:previous:That is a very interesting and impressive list of extremely smart Royals. Thanks Countessmeout!:)

Wow thank you!!! and..wow...again for the UAE, two royals holding two PhD each, that's amazing!

Thanks.:flowers: Seems I missed a few :D

Jordan:
-Princess Rym al-Ali holds 2 masters, political science and journalism

Dutch-extended:
-Prince Jamie, Count of Bardi has a MA from John Hopkins
-his wife Victoria is an attorney
-Princess Carolina has a masters in forced migration and works for the UN
-Prince Maurits has a masters of science in economics
-his wife Marilene holds a MBA
-Prince Bernhard has a masters of science
-his wife Annette has a masters in psycology
-Pieter-Christian holds a MBA
-Prince Floris and his wife Aimee both hold master of law degrees

Luxembourg
-Prince Jean of Luxembourg holds a MBA
-Princess Margaretha is said to hold a doctorate in social sciences

Others:
-Princess Olga of Greece/Duchess of Apulia (DIL of the Duke of Aosta) has a graduate degree in architecture
-Beatrice Borromeo, wife of Princess Caroline of Monaco's son Pierre, holds both a law degree and a masters in journalism

Denmark
-Fred has a masters in political science though it took some time to finish

thank you for the great list:flowers:
regarding Frederik, not sure that it took more time, from his Wikipedia page
"In 1989, the Crown Prince began to study for an academic degree, when he began a course in Political Science at Aarhus University. This included a year at Harvard University (1992–1993) under the name of Frederik Henriksen, studying political science. He then took up a position for three months with the Danish UN mission in New York in 1994. In 1995 Crown Prince Frederik obtained his MSc degree in Political Science from Aarhus University. He completed the course in the prescribed number of years with an exam result above average. His final paper was an analysis on the foreign policy of the Baltic States, which he had visited several times during his studies"
:flowers:

Yes Charles was dreadfully miserable at Gordonstoun and was apparently unhappy too at Cheam. Some children can be dreadfully cruel and perhaps a sensitive child like Charles would have been better off at a London day school or at least Eton, which wasn't too far away.

I believe all the Scandinavian royal houses have now stopped the boarding school thing and allow their children to live as normally as possible.

Will be interesting to see what William and Kate do...Kate was bullied at school. So wonder if that will change how and where their children attend school.

LaRae

Yes Charles was dreadfully miserable at Gordonstoun and was apparently unhappy too at Cheam. Some children can be dreadfully cruel and perhaps a sensitive child like Charles would have been better off at a London day school or at least Eton, which wasn't too far away.

I believe all the Scandinavian royal houses have now stopped the boarding school thing and allow their children to live as normally as possible.

Nikolai attends boarding school, Herlufsholm. He didn't start there until 10th grade. We will see if any of the other Scandi royal kids go to boarding school when older as he has.

Will be interesting to see what William and Kate do...Kate was bullied at school. So wonder if that will change how and where their children attend school.

LaRae

Pranther, you mentioned about William and Catherine. An article from The Daily Beast (2015/05/07) mentioned:
Prince George, it was understood, will go to Eton, join the army and then become King.

I didn't realise the Daily Beast was privy to the Cambridges' plans for their son's schooling! Having said that, I can see George being a pupil at Eton at some stage. It's convenient for London, quite close to Windsor Castle and will probably contain quite a few fellow pupils of whatever prep school George attends. William enjoyed his time there apparently, (Harry not so much), so I can see it as a viable option. Better than northern Scotland, anyway!

Last edited:
I hope they choose what school suits their son and not simply where Will went. Harry really disliked Eton, but because his brother went there and his dad had hated Gordonstoun, he was sent. Harry would likely have better suited for Gordonstoun than Eton.

Be more interesting to see where Charlotte goes. Marlburough seems likely, not only Kate but Eugenie graduated from it. There is also St George's where Louise is currently a student and here Beatrice attended (Eugenie did for a while). Zara went to Gordonstoun. I don't see Charlotte going there unless her brother did.

It wasn't long after their mother's death that Harry went off to Eton. I suppose Charles and Harry's grandparents felt that the two brothers should be together.

If Kate liked Marlborough and settled in there I think she would be amenable to it for her daughter. She and William are likely to be based primarily in London by the time Charlotte is ready for boarding school, so it would have to be somewhere close and convenient IMO if it's to be a day school.

Last edited:
Pranther, you mentioned about William and Catherine. An article from The Daily Beast (2015/05/07) mentioned:
Prince George, it was understood, will go to Eton, join the army and then become King.

I'm not sure if Eton is in the plans, but like the majority of future monarchs George will likely attend university in addition to doing military training/service.:)

I remember reading, before George was born, that Kate had told people she had no intention of allowing her children to go to boarding school at all and had also said that when they were at school she wasn't doing overseas tours during school terms. How true that is I don't know but it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I also wonder whether they would send both the children to Marlborough - where Kate and Eugenie went to school as it is now co-ed so both could be there together.

Royal Life At School

That's seems very unlikely that she said that. Probably the unnamed Royal friends or sources which are usually made up. The only interviews she has done since the engagement was the Itv birthday doc. She herself boarded at Marlborough and from all accounts had a good time there. Eton is a short walk to Windsor Castle so if George goes there it is easy weekend access to his Grandpa Charles or parents if they are on the throne.

She has left her children now so they know that it's part of the job. When they are older, they can come along on the tours like William and Harry went to Canada with Charles as teenagers. However, that probably doesn't work for every Royal tour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
:previous: Agree. If distance is a concern, perhaps they will select St. George's instead of Marlburough for Charlotte. Both Eton and St. George's are quite close to Windsor Castle, so close to grandparents, and London as well.

He didn't study to get a degree. He would also have not passed them in all likelihood.

The same thing happened with his father and later with his nephews - they studied at university but didn't sit exams or apply to get a degree.

It seems that Estella Taylor also attends St. Thomas’s in Battersea like Prince George and Maud Windsor as this photo from Eloise’s Twitter account suggests (I believe it’s not a fake account whilst it is public and not private there are other photos that one wouldn’t have taken from a public domain). The school seems to be a family favourite - I wonder if it was the Taylors who recommended it to the Cambridges considering that their girls are a lot older.

He didn't study to get a degree. He would also have not passed them in all likelihood.

The same thing happened with his father and later with his nephews - they studied at university but didn't sit exams or apply to get a degree.

Who was the first British prince to get a university degree ?

“ 'Elitist' dating app for ex-private school pupils nicknamed Tind-rah crowns Kate Middleton's alma mater Marlborough College as having 'the best-looking students'”

An elitist dating app has crowned Marlborough College which has Kate Middleton and Samantha Cameron as former pupils as having 'the best looking students'.

Toffee, nicknamed Tind-rah, is the world's first dating app aimed exclusively at those who went to private school in the hope to unite people with 'similar backgrounds'.

The app, which costs £4.99 a month, was criticised as 'classist hate crime' when it was launched in April..

The app is fitted with similar functions to other dating apps such as Tinder and Bumble - users are given the option of swiping right to 'like' a member or left to indicate that they are not interested.
Toffee app says Marlborough College has the best-looking students* | Daily Mail Online

?

Last edited:
Crown Prince Olav of Norway graduated from the Norwegian Military Academy in 1924. He went to Oxford for further study. He attended Balliol College, where he studied political science, history, and economics.

Thanks.:flowers: Seems I missed a few :D

Dutch-extended:
-Prince Jamie, Count of Bardi has a MA from John Hopkins
-his wife Victoria is an attorney
-Princess Carolina has a masters in forced migration and works for the UN
-Prince Maurits has a masters of science in economics
-his wife Marilene holds a MBA
-Prince Bernhard has a masters of science
-his wife Annette has a masters in psycology
-Pieter-Christian holds a MBA
-Prince Floris and his wife Aimee both hold master of law degrees
Both Bernhard and Maurits studied economics. As the Dutch still have a dual system, at research universities most degrees are masters of science (when they studied it was still the combined 'doctoraal' degree) - other options are MA or LLM (and nowadays the BSc, BA and LLB - but the expectation is still that you complete your masters stwight after your Bachelors.. So, both Maurits and Bernhard have a doctoraal degree (equivalent to MSc) in Economics. Annette has a doctoraal degree (MSc) in Psychology. Marlilene's degree is also a doctoraal (MSc) in Business (different from what is considered an MBA nowadays). All of the from the University of Groningen.

Pieter-Christiaan's first (doctoraal) degree was in Law (LLM) - at Utrecht University -, a few years later he also did an international MBA in Lausanne.

Princess Anita was missing in the list above. She holds a doctoraal (MSc/MA) degree in communication sciences from the University of Amsterdam. The Law degrees by Floris and Aimée are from Leiden University.

Last edited:
Journalists who became Royals

Queen Letizia
Letizia's career spanned the newspapers La Nueva España and ABC. She also worked at the EFE news agency.
The Queen's television career began at the Madrid headquarters of the US chain Bloomberg, specializing in economics, finance and markets, under the supervision of Agencia Efe. She was then hired by the private channel formed by CNN and Canal +, CNN +, as a reporter, editor and presenter.
In the year 2000 she joined Televisión Española (TVE).
At TVE, he led the channel's main information spaces and was a correspondent to cover various events. She worked at TVE until the announcement of her engagement to Felipe, Prince of Asturias.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gaa173ffc/22328825_HOWdw.jpeg

https://c8.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G08181eb2/22328826_fByQj.jpeg

https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G82172418/22328827_Hd1cC.jpeg

Princess Rym al-Ali
Prior to marrying Prince Ali, Princess Rym worked extensively for international broadcasters including CNN, where she began as a producer in 1998 and later worked as a Baghdad correspondent from 2001 until 2004. She had developed her portfolio working for the BBC, Dubai TV, Bloomberg TV, Radio Monte-Carlo Moyen-Orient and United Press International-UPI.
Married Prince Ali of Jordan.
https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G5f1824d3/22328812_41tRD.jpeg

https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Geb174d05/22328813_qqzFF.jpeg

Princess Elisabetta
Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein has been working since September 2009 for the culture section of Bloomberg News.
She is married to Prince Amedeo, son of Princess Astrid of Belgium.

Beatrice Borromeo
Beatrice was a contributor to Newsweek and the Daily Beast in 2013. Prior to that, and from the newspaper's beginning in 2009, she worked as a full-time reporter for Il Fatto Quotidiano. She continued in that position through the year 2016. She has appeared on many television shows in Italy, beginning with Anno Zero on Rai 2 where she worked for two years, from 2006 to 2008.
She is married to Pierre Casiraghi, son of Princess Caroline of Monaco.
https://c8.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G48176995/22328822_DCRHk.jpeg

https://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gcc18a444/22328823_3WZ4N.jpeg

https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G1917b72c/22328824_E8GPC.jpeg

Ned Donovan
Ned Donovan was a freelance journalist and foreign correspondent covering news in the UK and abroad for seven years. For the most part, he was a reporter for the Mail on Sunday and The Times.
He is married to Princess Raiyah bint Al Hussein, daughter of the late King Hussein of Jordan and Queen Noor of Jordan.

Princess Annemarie
Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel, from 2007 to 2009 worked as a correspondent on the European editorial board of NOS in Brussels (parents' residence), together with Paul Sneijder and Gert-Jan Dennekamp. She kept a blog with her experiences. She later returned to the NOS political office in The Hague.
She has been the wife of Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme since 12 June 2010.

Last edited:
Eml

I'm hoping for Marlborough College for the same reason. Its a top school and Eton was choosen for William because that's where Spencer men attend
A lot of royal firsts with William were because that's what Diana wanted. William and Catherine can make their own decisions.

Can somneone tell me where Zara and Pater Phillips went to school and whether or not either one of them went to college?

They both attended Gordonstoun

I wonder why Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than their older brother...different temperaments probably had a lot to do with it.
Charles was bullied a lot at Gordonstoun

And what about the normal public schools?
In the U.K there are public (what you would call private or Independent Schools) and there state schools (which are state-funded), I don’t believe any royal or extended member went to a state school

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom