Royal Crypts and Burial Places

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bct88

Aristocracy
Country
United States
After the funeral of Prince Bernhard, I was wondering what other monarchies have crypts? And, if anyone has pictures or the layout plans of them, if they could post them here.

All british royals are buried at the Frogmore Burial Ground. When King George VI died a special chapel was created in St Georges Chapel. He &, eventually, the Queen Mother are buried there. Princess Margarets ashes were interred in the crypt with her parents.

I assume that when the Queen & Prince Phillip pass over they will be buried in St Georges Chapel as all previous sovereigns from Edward VII and their consorts have been.

Queen Victoria and Albert were buried at Frogmore as well. Past royals have also been buried in Westmister Abbey.

This is Princess Grace of Monaco's burial place- St Nicholas Cathedral i think
f.nice-princess-grace's-tom.jpg
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://faculty.eicc.edu/ckrumbein/images/f.nice-princess-grace%27s-tom.jpg&imgrefurl=http://faculty.eicc.edu/ckrumbein/previous%2520travel.htm&h=640&w=480&sz=59&tbnid=XQbfE7ToyjcJ:&tbnh=135&tbnw=101&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprincess%2Bgrace%2Btomb%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

Last edited:
The Norwegian royals have a crypt underneath Akershus Castle.

There two kings, one queen and one crown princess lie. Haakon VII, Olav V, Maud and Märtha.

The Danish kings and queens have been buried in the Cathedral in Roskilde for ages: 20 kings and 18 queens have it as their final resting place.

please pictures shown includes Kings and Queens's burials places if you know that graves of King and Queen's graves.

i went see HM Queen Mother and her husband's graves at St.George's Chapel where Earl and Countess of Wessex got married there beside there but i cant takes pictures following museum rules.

and also Prince and Princess's graves shown needed.

Sara Boyce

Australian said:
Queen Victoria and Albert were buried at Frogmore as well. Past royals have also been buried in Westmister Abbey.

This is Princess Grace of Monaco's burial place- St Nicholas Cathedral i think
Yes, is inside the cathedral. I went there too. They said there that is forbidden to take photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Spain, the Infantes and the rest of the members of the royalty are buried in Escorial (Madrid)

I like that at the site, Find a grave, you can place virtual messages or flowers down at the graves. But I wish that the webmaster would remove those horrid messages left.

rchainho said:
Yes, is inside the cathedral. I went there too. They said there that is forbidden to take photos.
Why is it forbidden to take photos? I assume it's out of respect.

King Baudouin I of Belgium is buried in the Royal Crypt in the Notre Dame church, in Laeken.

Some photos from corbis.

Attachments

• Baudouin 2.jpg
    Baudouin 2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,708
  • Baudouin 1.jpg
    Baudouin 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,311
Danielle said:
King Baudouin I of Belgium is buried in the Royal Crypt in the Notre Dame church, in Laeken.

Some photos from corbis.
I would assume that Princess Astrid of Sweden is also buried with him? If so, where is his second wife buried?

The Riddarholms Church in Stockholm
From 1300, it used to be the burial place for Swedish nobles – from 1634 it is one of the two burial places of the Swedish royals. The last royal to be buried here was King Gustav V in 1950, since that the Royal Cemetery at Haga has been used.

The church is still in function as a grave holder and memorial church, but foremost as the church for the highest order in Sweden – the Order of the Seraphim. The walls are covered with the shields of numerous knights through the years, from past to present. When a knight of the Order of the Seraphim passes away, his/her shield is mounted in the church, marked with the name of the grant of it and the date of the death. On the day of the funeral for the knight, the traditional Seraphim toll of the bells takes place.

The Royal Cemetery
In the early 1900’s, Crown Princess Margaretha wanted a less dark and “heavy” place than an old church for the Swedish royals eternal rest – so she initiated the Royal Cemetery at Haga, a wonderful area of beautiful parkland on a little islet outside Stockholm. The Royal Cemetery has been used as the royal burial place ever since it was created.

1: The Riddarholms Church
2: The Riddarholms Church
3: The Riddarholms Church
4: The Royal Cemetery
5: The Royal Cemetery
6: The Royal Cemetery
7: Princess Lilian visiting Prince Bertil's grave at the Royal Cemetery

Attachments

• Magnus Ladulås (1290) & Karl Knutsson (1470) gravmonument i koret framf altaret.jpg
    Magnus Ladulås (1290) & Karl Knutsson (1470) gravmonument i koret framf altaret.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 5,329
  • Riddarholmen - Riddarholmskyrkan.jpg
    Riddarholmen - Riddarholmskyrkan.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,245
  • riddarholmen.jpg
    riddarholmen.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 4,970
  • BH-970615-2.jpg
    BH-970615-2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4,893
  • BH-970615-3.jpg
    BH-970615-3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,748
  • boberg.jpg
    boberg.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 754
  • RIMG0069.jpg
    RIMG0069.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 18,367
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Attachments

• After - The vault.jpg
    After - The vault.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 906
Where exactly is the crypt in the Cathedral of Our Lady in Luxembourg? Is it 'downstairs' like in Delft? And, are there large stairs (if it is downstairs) like in Delft where we see the coffin being brought to the crypt, or are the stairs 'hidden' (in the back or another place)?

I was wondering, have there been any photo's taken of the resting place of S.A.R. La Grande-Duchesse Josephine-Charlotte? Also, are there floorplans of the crypts? I have seen one of the Oranje-Nassau crypt in Delft, but are there any others? Thanks.

pics from the place where the kings and infantes are burried.

Attachments

• 357757409CQBfTJ_ph.jpg
    357757409CQBfTJ_ph.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 11,733
  • 388220225qRzuKL_ph.jpg
    388220225qRzuKL_ph.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 888
It's interesting that Queen Marie of Rumania is buried at Frogmore. Some royal relatives I had never heard of.

And some servants. Victoria's Baron Stockmar is there.

when i visit England in Nov.2002 i saw HM Queen Mary at Windsor Castle opposite by late HM Queen Mother's grave and i dont see the Princess Margaret's grave!

Sara Boyce

iowabelle said:
It's interesting that Queen Marie of Rumania is buried at Frogmore. Some royal relatives I had never heard of.

And some servants. Victoria's Baron Stockmar is there.

I didn't know Baron Stockmar was buried in England. I thought he went back to Thuringia.

iowabelle said:

Wikipedia says that the Marie of Roumania of Dorothy Parker fame is buried in Sinaia. Or have you had in mind her daughter, the Queen Consort to King Alexander I of Yugoslavia?

Mapple said:
Wikipedia says that the Marie of Roumania of Dorothy Parker fame is buried in Sinaia. Or have you had in mind her daughter, the Queen Consort to King Alexander I of Yugoslavia?

Duh -- meant the Queen of Yugoslavia. :)

Harry's polo shirt said:
Some french kings and family were buried in Saint Denis-A Cemetery of Kings, it has a very interesting background. Read about it here:
http://www.louis-xiv.de/louisold/louisxiv.html

Saint Denis was the only royal burial site that could compare to Westminster Abbey. At the time of the French Revolution, centuries of gravesites were destroyed in a few days time. What a horrible shame.

I am going to try to contribute slightly more of information about the burials of the Spanish Royal Family.

Almost all the members of the Spanish Royal Family from Carlos I of Spain are buried in El Escorial. The Kings' Pantheon possesses a series of urns where they guard the remains of the Kings and the Queens, their remains are deposited years after passing a few years in a place that is known as the "pudridero" (not exactly all the years are, I believe that 25). (Photos 1-2).

Later in another place of El Escorial is the Infantes' pavilion (3-4-5-6), inside the pavilion os the Infantes there is a tomb dedicated to the preschoolers, the babies who were dying. (7-8)

Attachments

• panteonreyes.jpg
    panteonreyes.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 38,707
  • panteon-reyes.jpg
    panteon-reyes.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,524
  • infantes.jpg
    infantes.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 22,313
  • infantes2.jpg
    infantes2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 34,658
  • infantes3.jpg
    infantes3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 25,540
  • infantes4.jpg
    infantes4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 12,345
  • párvulos.jpg
    párvulos.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,239
  • párvulos1.jpg
    párvulos1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 15,369
The list of the Royals buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor

South side of the High Altar
King Henry VI

North side of the High Altar

King Edward IV
Queen Elizabeth Woodville

South side of the High Altar
King Edward VII (d.1910)
Queen Alexandra (d.1925)

North Nave Aisle
King George V (d.1936) (placed there 1939)
Queen Mary (d.1953) (placed there 1953)

King George VI Memorial Chapel
King George VI (d.1952) 1969
Queen Elizabeth 2002
Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (ashes) 2002

In the body of the chapel
Alamayu, Prince of Abyssinia 1879
There is a memorial to the Prince Imperial (killed in Zululand on 1 June 1879). The Prince is buried at Farnborough Abbey. The memorial, previously in the centre of the Bray Chantry, was placed between the columns of the South Nave Aisle in 1985

Opposite North Eastdoor
Princess Louise, Duchess of Saxe-Weimar (niece of Queen Adelaide) 1832

In The Duke of Gloucester's Vault
The Prince William, Duke of Gloucester 1805
Princess Maria, Duchess of Gloucester 1807
Prince William, Duke of Gloucester 1834
Princess Sophia of Gloucester 1844
Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester 1857

In the Royal Vault

The Princess Amelia (daughter of George III) 1810
The Princess Augusta, Duchess of Brunswick (sister of George III) 1813
Infant son of Princess Charlotte 1817
Princess Charlotte (daughter of the future George IV) 1817
Queen Charlotte 1818
The Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (father of the future Queen Victoria) 1820
King George III 1820
The Prince Alfred (d.1782) (son of George III) 1820
The Prince Octavius (d.1783) (son of George III) 1820
Princess Elizabeth (daughter of the future William IV) 1821
The Prince Frederick, Duke of York 1827
King George IV 1830
Still-born daughter of Duke of Cumberland (d.1817) 1837
King William IV 1837
The Princess Sophia (daughter of George III) 1840
Queen Adelaide 1849
Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein (son of Princess Christian) 1876
King George V of Hanover 1878
Victoria von Pawel Rammingen (daughter of Princess Frederica of Hanover) 1881
Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (mother of the future Queen Mary) 1897
Prince Francis, Duke of Teck (father of the future Queen Mary) 1900
Princess Frederika of Hanover 1926
The Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge (d.1850) (grandfather of Queen Mary) 1930
Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge (d.1889) (grandmother of Queen Mary) 1930

From Royal Insight

lula said:
I am going to try to contribute slightly more of information about the burials of the Spanish Royal Family.

Almost all the members of the Spanish Royal Family from Carlos I of Spain are buried in El Escorial. The Kings' Pantheon possesses a series of urns where they guard the remains of the Kings and the Queens, their remains are deposited years after passing a few years in a place that is known as the "pudridero" (not exactly all the years are, I believe that 25). (Photos 1-2).

They do not bury the Spanish Royals outright? :confused:

There are 2 names missing from who is buried in St. George's Chapel--Henry VIII and Jane Seymour.

Accoriding to Antonia Fraser in The Wives of Henry VIII:

It was under the aupices of the new Protector that the King's funeral was now arranged to take place in St George's, Windsor. That was the site King Henry had designated for his burial. . .(he ordered his body) 'to be placed with the bones of our true and loving wife, Queen' Jane. . .So Queen Jane's tomb, halfway between the high altar and the choir stalls was opened up again after nine years. (pp 394-395).

Back
Top Bottom