Royal Artists

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lasse Pedersen

Aristocracy
City
Holme, Århus
Country
Denmark
As posted elsewhere in the forums, Statens Museum for Kunst ('The Danish National Gallery') has recently put three paintings by HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark on display. Said paintings being:

Skyen og volden ('The Cloud and the Rampart'), 1997:
http://130.226.236.38/smkweb/VarkBillede.asp?objectid=55843

Fra de yderste fjelde. Under skyen. ('From the Furthest Mountains. Under the Cloud'), 2000:
http://130.226.236.38/smkweb/VarkBillede.asp?objectid=55846

Fra de yderste fjelde. Den grønne dal. ('From the Furthest Mountains. The Green Valley'), 2002:
http://130.226.236.38/smkweb/VarkBillede.asp?objectid=55848

The paintings in themselves leave little doubt that HM the Queen is indeed a gifted artist, and yet, the paintings stirred up quite a debate in Danish art circles when they were displayed, about a week ago. Mr. Tom Jørgensen, editor of an art magazine, said that: "If we forget who painted the pictures, they are merely an interesting, but not very successful attempt to make some symbolic landscapes". He then adds that Her Majesty's paintings could easily be on display at other museums, but that they are not suitable for the National Gallery, since the National Gallery should only display the most outstanding works, regardless of name and title of the artist. It was the Museum Director, Mrs. Allis Helleland, who asked the Queen if she would be interested in donating some of her work to the museum. The three paintings were then given to the museum as a gift.

If you ask me, the paintings are indeed successful attempts of symbolic landscape painting, and ought to be at the National Gallery. What do you think? And do you know other examples of royal artists? Or perhaps other works of HM Queen Margrethe II?

/Lasse Pedersen
http://130.226.236.38/smkweb/VarkBillede.asp?objectid=55843

Not a royal, but Princess Letizia's youngest sister, Erica Ortiz, as well as her husbant, are artisits (Thelma is a painter, if I'm not wrong and she also prepaired a scenography for theater performances).

What about Prince Charles, he quite good painting:confused:

Lasse, thanks (again) for your translations. So the basis is that Queen Margrette II should become a popular painter first in order to be accepted by the National Gallery? Well. makes sense. Although the idea of a monarch painter should be good enough for the gallery to do an exhibition not just on the Queen's work but as a group ensemble on the art works made by other royals as well. That could be a good start.

Her style is ok, but not one that I would understand clearly. I do notice she has a lot of circling motion in her brush strokes to create the image.

magnik said:
What about Prince Charles, he quite good painting:confused:

He, Prince Charles, is very good at landscapes and water colors.

I'll admit straight off the bat that these paitings aren't my style, but I do think that having them in the national gallery tells something about the era.

Queen Sonja of Norway was also faced with criticism in Norway when she exhibited her photographs in USA - the photographer who critiqued thought that there were so many other talented photographers in Norway who ought to have gotten a shot at exhibiting like the Queen did. But others argued that there were nothing wrong with the photographs, and that they showcased a Norway where the Queen could go out and take pictures like it, and not be disturbed, which was good promotion for Norway.

I wasn't sure. I saw his 2 or 3 paintings only on TV in some programme about him.

What about artists from the past?

if we talk design i would now add carl philip to the list

Carl Philip also is a photographer and has exhibited nature photographie.
And Queen Margrethe not only paints, but also designs textiles and costumes (for theatre).

If I'm not mistaken Queen Victoria used to sketch quite a bit didn't she? And some of her children sketched as well.

I remember reading that most of Queen Victoria's children drew. However, I am very sure that Princess Louise was the most able artist out of the siblings. She drew and sculpted. Her most famous work is a marble statue of Queen Victoria that is located at Kensington Palace.

Also, Empress Maria Feodorovna (Tsar Nicholas II's mother) was a talented artist. She used to paint Still-Lives.

He wasn't an artist but was a very promising poet. Unfortunately, his life was cut short in 1918, when he was only 19.
Despite his young age, Prince Vladimir was already considered a brilliant poet. He published 2 volumes of poetry (at the age of 17 and 19), wrote plays and essays and released a truly magnificent French translation of his uncle Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovitch's play "The King of the Jews". The play was critically acclaimed but even more acclaimed was Prince Vladimir's translation, which linguists found simply delightful.

As mentioned above, another member of the Imperial Family was a talented man. Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovitch was an aspiring pianist (Tchaikovsky was among his closest friends), translator of foreign literature (he had wonderful translations of Shakespeare, Schiller and Goethe, among others) and wrote plays himself, the most famous of which was "The King of Judea".

Princess Louise of Great Britain (1848-1939) made a marble sculpture of her brother, Prince Arthur.

Prince Eugen of Sweden, the son of King Oscar II of Sweden, studied painting in Stockholm, Oslo, and Paris. He painted Swedish and Norwegian landscapes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl Philip also is a photographer and has exhibited nature photographie.
And Queen Margrethe not only paints, but also designs textiles and costumes (for theatre).
Most members of the Bernadotte family have been artistic in some way, mostly music and painting, as well as several of their spouses. Carl Philip is not the first photographer in the family, queen Victoria was a keen photographer, not very common for a woman in the late 19th century.

Ex-queen Farida of egypyt was an paiting artis. Princess wijdan of Jordan is an paiting artist too.

PRINCESS adile, sultan Murad V, princess Fatma Gevheri Sultan of ottoman were componists.

Queen Maud of Norway was a very good artist, as seen, although she later switched to photography like many royal women of the era. (It also spilled over into her wardrobe generally being quite stylish and attractive.)

"Harry", 1881, although I wonder how they tell it's not 1887 instead? 11-year-old Maud or 17-year-old Maud; she was pretty good. https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/2/collection/981009/study-of-a-classical-head-with-ivy
I guess it shouldn't be such a surprise how many talented royal artists there are, considering they had the time, resources, training and encouragement.
I'm a bit surprised Queen Victoria acknowledged her as Harry, though. :lol:

Edit: on looking a little closer, I wonder if it isn't intended as a self-portrait? Or at least with self as model?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget King Philippe, once he painted a portrait of his uncle King Baudouin.

Back
Top Bottom