Busiest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dennism said:
She´s quite active for a woman of her age, one must say though.
Of her age?! :confused: You make it sound like Anne is a 90 year old woman! She is a woman of middle age and "at her age" many women around the world are still working at their jobs, and active, contributing citizens who nurture their families, their friends and their communities. And considering the lineage of robust and healthy women Anne comes from I would say that we can expect much more from Anne for the next several decades.

At her age! Sheesh! :mad:

Dennism said:
But I would say that of the crown princesses Maxima is probably the most active with Mathilde closely behind. Of princes, I would say Charles is the most active. Philippe and Willem-Alexander are also quite active. It´s really kind of hard to say because many royals do their work without the coverage as Alexandria has noted.
No mention of Letizia? I read somewhere where a number of the official engagements taken out by Felipe and Letizia since their wedding numbered in the several hundred. Pretty impressive that that was the end of May and I read this number in the fall sometime, so at least 5-6 months. I don't think any other princess can claim that they've carried out that many engagements in 6 months.

As for Maxima, as much as I adore her, there was a lot of grumbling earlier in the summer about how many holidays she and Willem took.

I knew this would happened. I meant the Queen. That´s why I took it out. I should have said for a person the Queen´s age. Yes, Letizia is quite active. I hope she will maintain this schedule later on. Maybe it was to overcome doubts. But I think she is quite serious about all of this work. I was covering my butt there in case she slows down a lot.

'The non CP-category' - In this category, I would say that the Princess Royal, Queen Elizabeth, and King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia come first. Right behind them I would put Princess Alexandra, and this particular fall also Princess Caroline.

'The CP-category' - Here I would definitely place the Prince and Princess of Asturias on first place, and then also the Prince of Wales, Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde.

Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
'The non CP-category' - In this category, I would say that the Princess Royal, Queen Elizabeth, and King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia come first. Right behind them I would put Princess Alexandra, and this particular fall also Princess Caroline.
The Duke of Edinburgh would definitely need to be included up there with The Princess Royal and the Queen.

I did some counting on the site of the Belgian monarchy and in 2004...

...Mathilde performed 60 royal duties, went on humanitarian mission to Niger (8 days) and on economic mission to China (10 days) and Turkey (8 days). Don't forget she also has a family life and 2 small children.

Prince Filip had 79 royal duties in 2004. And economic missions to China, Algeria, Tunesia, Turkey.

The days Filip and Mathilde are not on a royal duty, they're at their office.

Princess Astrid had 44 royal duties. As chairwoman of the red cross she went on a working visit to South Africa. She also has 5 children. Her husband, Archduke Lorenz had 19 duties. He works full time as a banker.

Prince Laurent had 56 royal duties, his wife princess Claire had 19 royal duties, she works full time as a surveyer.

Ennyllorac said:
Alexandria,

You are correct about the Princess Royal (Anne) being one of the most active, especially for Save the Children. However, she doesn't get nearly the same type of coverage that the Crown Princesses. I remember when Diana was in the picture there was a commentary that she did more charity work than the Princess of Wales but didn't get any publicity.

According to The Royalty Report, Princess Anne is patron of 220 organizations. In 1997 she carried out 447'official' engagements. in 1998 she carried out 679. Then in 199 she carried out 1,138. She is definitely a hard working royal!
I'm sorry but your information must be wrong. 1,138 royal duties in a year??? I gather she does not work in the weekends, so that makes more than 4 duties per day. That's absurd. If she does 261 duties per year (one for each working day) it will already be a lot. And I don't think she goes on visit somewhere every day.

Mind you, I do know Anne is very hardworking but IMO your figures are completely wrong and you're giving us a bit of a wrong image here...

In 1999 I printed the biographies of the British Family from the official site. Now they have been updated. Data are difficult to compare because of different criteria:

The Queen:
343 engagements in 1997 (UK only?)
478 in 2003 (UK + abroad)

The Duke of Edinburgh
156 in 1997 (UK + abroad, WITHOUT The Queen)
456 in 2003 (UK + abroad, BOTH with and without The Queen)

The Prince of Wales
290 in 1997 (UK + abroad)
604 in 2003 (UK + abroad)

The Princess Royal
445 in 1997 (UK + abroad)
2003 unknown

The Duke of York
1997 unknown
475 in 2003 (UK + abroad)

The Earl of Wessex
68 in 1998
2003 unknown

Hannelore said:
I'm sorry but your information must be wrong. 1,138 royal duties in a year??? I gather she does not work in the weekends, so that makes more than 4 duties per day. That's absurd. If she does 261 duties per year (one for each working day) it will already be a lot. And I don't think she goes on visit somewhere every day.

Mind you, I do know Anne is very hardworking but IMO your figures are completely wrong and you're giving us a bit of a wrong image here...
I don't think Ennyllorac is wrong necessarily, and it's rather impolite to accuse someone of being wrong and giving a distorted image, especially if one doesn't have all the facts or doesn't see the broader picture.

Consider the following:

Firstly, many royals work on the weekends as well as evenings -- being a royal is not restricted to the hours of 9 to 5 solely. So, it is very possible that Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Anne and royals of other households do work on the weekends.

Secondly, in a day royals are known to have more than one agenda on their schedule. One day doesn't necessarily equate with only one duty. Royals are the patrons of numerous charities as well as being invited to many other special dedications, occasions, lunches and dinners, awards presentations, etc. And as some of these events only take an hour or two it would be perfectly reasonable to say attend a luncheon and then attend a late afternoon or early evening event as well.

Consider also when royals visit other nations: Because such visits take so much planning and years in advance, they cram as much into their 2 or 3 day visit as possible. When Felipe and Letizia visited South America earlier this summer this was very much the case. We saw pictures of them attending a breakfast with important poltical figures in the morning, a trip to a museum after that, followed by lunch with literary figures then to a dedication in the afternoon followed by a semi-formal/formal dinner in the evening. That in itself is 5 events in one day.

Thirdly, each royal household defines what constitutes a "royal duty" differently. And some royal calendars may list only some events but not all, while other royal calendars may list everything and anything. For example, in August some royal courts considered royals attending the Olympic games in Athens as being part of their royal duties, while others did not.

Also, some royals -- for example the Dutch royals -- are commonly known for showing up "spontaneously" for royal visits. While these events are certainly very well planned, they are not listed on the royal web site and not publicized as other events are.

Hannelore said:

My intention was never to distort. this was the information given on various sites. However, since you so kindly pointed out my mistake,
I searched the net again and found conflicting numbers. However, I came across the BBC and these were the numbers they gave.

1998 - 642
1999 - 700
2001 - 655

I apologize for the mistake. However, these numbers are still impressive.

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
Also, some royals -- for example the Dutch royals -- are commonly known for showing up "spontaneously" for royal visits. While these events are certainly very well planned, they are not listed on the royal web site and not publicized as other events are.
This was probably why I gave Maxima and Willem Alexander too much credit. Maybe they do have less duties than the others. I just knew about these unplanned events or non-publicized ones and so I thought they had more duties than others. I guess not.

Hannelore said:
Don't forget she also has a family life and 2 small children..
I was thinking about this earlier when Alexandria reminded me of the complaints about the Dutch Royal Family. We should probably split apart those who have small children/babies and those who don´t. I mean I can´t believe people would complain about Maxima and Willem Alexander but I gues they have. I would think that people would say "No, they will come back to the fold and do more duties once the children are older..."

Last edited:
I for one don't think Maxima is a very active royal. But on the other hand queen Beatrix is very active, so it also comes down to how the tasks are divided.

The British, Belgian and Spanish royals are IMO the busiest. Which doesn't make the others lazy!! Each country has it's own way of handling things, different points thar are important, a very large or a small population.

Let's not oversimplify and consider any monarchy the same. That would be like me saying the USA are very similar to France or to Australia.

I agree with you on that. On the number of duties and on public perception, I would say that those 3 families are the most active. My thinking about the Crown Prince and Princess of Orange was slightly off. But those 3 families are probably the most active. Yes, Beatrix. I agree with you there.

Ennyllorac said:
My intention was never to distort. this was the information given on various sites. However, since you so kindly pointed out my mistake,
I searched the net again and found conflicting numbers. However, I came across the BBC and these were the numbers they gave.

1998 - 642
1999 - 700
2001 - 655

I apologize for the mistake. However, these numbers are still impressive.
Then these figures must also imply receiving guests at their offices. Believe me it can't all be visits.

Interesting, how it's always interpreted differently, the figures I gave of the Begian RF are solely about visits. We shoud have the same kind of figures to compare of course.

Thanks for your response!

Hannelore said:
Then these figures must also imply receiving guests at their offices. Believe me it can't all be visits.
Why can't they all be visits? Why might it be so hard to believe that Princess Anne performed on average 650 visits of some sort each year over the past several years?

I'm not sure I understand the reluctance to give Princess Anne credit where it is due to her?

Princess Anne, unlike some other royals, has grown children so she doesn't need to rush home to put them to bed or to care for them as say Mathilde or Maxima do. She doesn't hold a job outside of her royal duties such as Cristina of Spain does. So why can't she be devoting her time to various royal duties?

i found a thread moust hard working royal so I merged the two of them togather

Hannelore said:
The British, Belgian and Spanish royals are IMO the busiest. Which doesn't make the others lazy!! Each country has it's own way of handling things, different points thar are important, a very large or a small population.
How about a thread on the most inactive royals???
Topping that list: The Danes. Frederick and Mary perform the least amount of royal duties for a Crown Prince couple.

Dennism said:
I was thinking about this earlier when Alexandria reminded me of the complaints about the Dutch Royal Family. We should probably split apart those who have small children/babies and those who don´t. I mean I can´t believe people would complain about Maxima and Willem Alexander but I gues they have. I would think that people would say "No, they will come back to the fold and do more duties once the children are older..."
Why do we need to split the list???
It's not as if those who have small children or babies don't have help to care for their children. It's not like when they are out shaking hands and opening hospital wards their children are left home alone at the palace.
Non royals who have young kids work too so why should royals be divided into different groups???

Alexandria said:
I'm not sure I understand the reluctance to give Princess Anne credit where it is due to her?
Maybe the reluctance to admit that someone else is hard working is because you realize that your beloved royals aren't as hard working as you believed.
Ah the delusion shatters.

Queen Elizabeth
Princess Anne
Prince Charles
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia- I think the most active royals last year

liv said:
Queen Elizabeth
Princess Anne
Prince Charles
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia- I think the most active royals last year
I think this is a pretty apt list liv.

I think Phillippe and Mathlide of Belgium could be added to this list following Felipe and Letizia.

Vicomtesse said:
Why do we need to split the list???
It's not as if those who have small children or babies don't have help to care for their children. It's not like when they are out shaking hands and opening hospital wards their children are left home alone at the palace.
Non royals who have young kids work too so why should royals be divided into different groups???
I just meant that we should split into two different groups royals with small children and those without. I hope we would have complained less about those royals with small children and their lack of duties.

Who do you think is the least working of them...let's say: the laziest ???

(...ohhh...I guess I already se it coming....)

Here is an interesting article from Hello magazine.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/01/03/princeandrew/

3 JANUARY 2005
To describe Prince Andrew as a member of the jet-set would be something of an understatement, as the well-travelled royal has broken his own record for overseas engagements.
The 44-year-old made a staggering 309 foreign visits in 2004, compared with 179 the previous year. And altogether he managed to notch up 581 appearances, meaning that only Princess Anne had a more hectic schedule. The Princess Royal's jam-packed appointment book saw her make 599 visits, though only 131 were overseas.
Most of Andrew's trips were made in his capacity as an official trade ambassador for Britain. Over the course of the last 12 months he has taken in such exotic destinations as Japan, Quatar, Oman, Russia and Bahrain.
His penchant for attending major sporting events – and enjoying the odd round of golf - has also earned him a reputation as a "playboy prince". But representatives for UK Trade and Investment, the governmental body in charge of promoting British industry, insist he is a very hard worker.
"He has never put a foot wrong in all the work he has done for us," said a spokesman. "He is a first-class diplomat. When he started in 2001 it was a steep learning curve, but he's brought management skills with him and he's learned very, very quickly."

i think we also need to have in mind the size of each country

Josefine said:
i think we also need to have in mind the size of each country
That are i agree with Josephine! the scandinavian country are very smal!

I must say this discussion has been very Euro-centric. How could, for example, the King of Jordan, the absolutist monarch of a small, poor, but influencial middle eastern country not be on any list?

For Middle eastern kingdoms...I count Queen Rania, queen Noor, Lala Hasna as active and busy Royal. Queen Sirikit of Thailand and her daughter princess mahachakri Sirindhorn also very active royal. I don't have any source with me, but I have read that the princess is very well known as a hard working princess in thailand, once there is a speculation that people has prefered her as next head of state than her brother. I could say that Queen Saleha also an active quen in her tiny and rich kingdom.
For European kingdom mostly I agree with most of the posters who choose princess Anne of UK and princess Alexandra of Denmark for princess category:) .

Back
Top Bottom