Mixed Royals and Group Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ysbel said:
That's funny, norwegianne :D Weren't they trying to marry him off to Princess Marina of Kent also? Quite the eligible bachelor, King Olav.

According to 'Princess Marina' by Sophia Watson, not only the press was trying but the king himself as well (as was the case with the Queen mother).

How cute is this?

Assorted Windsors, late '60s
Corbis

49a9902b.jpg

James Ogilvy, Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, Earl of St Andrews, Lady Helen Windsor, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Viscount Linley, Marina Ogilvy.

Last edited:
Very cute! What a lovely picture, never seen it before.

Now, nobody move!!!

42-16036587.jpg

caption: Belgium - Royalty - Europe
Belgian King Albert II (R row 4th front), Swedish Queen Silvia (R row 6th front), Belgian Queen Paola (R row 8th front), Swedish King Carl Gustaf (R row 5th front), Norwegian Queen Sonja (L row 4th front) and King Harald (L row 1st back) enjoy a cruise with unidentified dignitaries during a private visit in Bruges November 18, 2005.

Corbis

btw, is the lady with the purple scarf Countess Ruth of Rosenbborg?

Last edited:
From Corbis again:

a picture of King Haralds christening and his marriage:

SF37351.jpg

U389153ACME.jpg

From Corbis again, two pictures of the weeding of Phillipe and Mathilde. King Albert II seems quite the joker ;)

0000360434-026.jpg

0000360429-025.jpg

Marengo said:
According to 'Princess Marina' by Sophia Watson, not only the press was trying but the king himself as well (as was the case with the Queen mother).

Ah, so King Olav was quite the ladies man in his golden years. Here I was thinking he was burning a torch for his late wife, Crown Princess Martha. :D

Again Corbis, various pictures:

Wedding of Infanta Cristina:

0000333225-013.jpg

Queen Margrethe's jubilee:

0000324450-019.jpg

Belgian statevisit to Norway:

0000258348-045.jpg

Thanks so much for posting these pics, Marengo. I love how Princess Margrethe is peeking behind her grandfather, King Carl Adolf of Sweden in Harald's wedding pic. Queen Ingrid wore a fabulous set of jewellery to that event.

Harald's baptism brought out some seldom seen royals. I recognize the ever elegant, Queen Maud, daughter of Queen Alexandra, and the striking Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (nee Denmark) mother of Crown Princess Martha. Martha took her looks from her mother. I think the old man in the red uniform is Martha's father Prince Carl. The boy in the middle has a priceless expression, though I don't know who he is. :D

From Corbis,

Silver wedding celebrations of Harald and Sonja:

0000329735-001.jpg

0000329905-016.jpg

0000329899-004.jpg

ysbel said:
Ah, so King Olav was quite the ladies man in his golden years. Here I was thinking he was burning a torch for his late wife, Crown Princess Martha. :D

Well, his swedish collegue was quite the casanova as well, trying to get Alice of Athlone in a marriage ;) My grandmother was right, men are lost without a wife...

ysbel said:
I think the old man in the red uniform is Martha's father Prince Carl. The boy in the middle has a priceless expression, though I don't know who he is. :D

I think it is the youngest son of Princess Margretha of Denmark, nee Sweden, Prince Flemming?

ysbel said:
According to King Olav, in various biographies, and what his children report, it was only Crown Princess Märtha in his life.

Marengo said:
I think it is the youngest son of Princess Margretha of Denmark, nee Sweden, Prince Flemming?
Indeed. Georg was the oldest, and Flemming was the youngest. Flemming of Rosenborg was best man at Harald and Sonja's wedding.

what determines whether to wear the sashes or not. both men and women wore them at PF and PM wedding, not everyone did at PJ and PA wedding and in earlier pictures no one but the men are wearing them. sorry if its a stupid question

thank for all the great pictures everyone
who is the good looking man between PH and QM in post 39 in the last picture. thanks again for the pics

Marengo said:
Thanks, do you know if this picture is taken in England and on what occassion? One of the Ascot races?

No Marengo, sorry, I couldn't translate what the picture says just the names of the royals. I happen to love old pictures and yourself?.

Grand Duke Henri's Accession Celebration
(Source-Getty Images)

bbb said:
thank for all the great pictures everyone
who is the good looking man between PH and QM in post 39 in the last picture. thanks again for the pics

Prince Nicolaus of Greece...

Scherezada said:
No Marengo, sorry, I couldn't translate what the picture says just the names of the royals. I happen to love old pictures and yourself?.

Me to! I bought several picture books with royals in it, the 'royaly after/between/before the wars' series, 'the camera and the tsars', a greek book about their RF (in greek) and more (expensive hobby btw).

9th March 1863: The Danish and British royal families at Windsor, the day before the wedding of Prince Edward and Princess Alexandra. The guests are Prince Christian (later King Christian IX of Denmark), Princess Louise of Denmark (later Louise of Hesse-Cassell), Prince Frederick (later King Frederick VIII of Denmark), the Crown Prince of Prussia (later Frederick III of Prussia), Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse-Darmstadt, Prince Louis (later Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt), Princess Helena (later Princess of Schleswig-Holstein), Princess Alexandra, Prince Edward (later Edward VII), Princess Victoria of Prussia, Prince Georg (later King George I of Greece), Princess Dagmar of Denmark (later Marie Fyodorovna, Tsarina of Russia) and Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll.

(Photo by John Jabez Edwin Mayall/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

circa 1920: Christian X of Denmark and King Haakon VII of Norway join Gustav V of Sweden (1858 - 1950) and the Finnish President at the royal palace in Stockholm to discuss the Russo-Finnish question.

From Getty.

1894: Queen Victoria (1819 - 1901) sits amongst some of her relatives. Amongst them are the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duke of Connaught, Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859 - 1941) (and his mother Victoria) of Germany, the Tsarina of Russia, Prince Edward (1841 - 1910), Tsar Nicholas II (1868 - 1918) of Russia. Most of her children and grandchildren have married into nearly all of the Royal houses of Europe.

From Getty.

Prince Henry of Battenberg; Prince Philip of Coburg; King Ferdinand of Romania; Prince Henry of Prussia.

Source:Gettyimages.

I love the picture of the Windsors together, are there any more like this one?

crisiñaki said:
Was Prince Henry of Battenberg Queen Ena's father?
Yes. Her mother was Princess Beatrice who escaped Queen Victoria's maternal domination by marrying Prince Henry of Battenberg, but only on the condition that she and her new husband remain close by. They are the great-grandparents of King Juan Carlos.
Here's a pic of their wedding, courtesy of Getty Images.

Princess Beatrice & Prince Henry of Battenberg Wedding 1885
(note the star tiara)

89b37627.jpg

Last edited:
Why the British Royal family is never in weddings and other celebrations?

Hereditairy Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and his wife, Hereditairy Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein, born Princess of - and Duchess in Bavaria.

Marengo said:
Hereditairy Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and his wife, Hereditairy Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein, born Princess of - and Duchess in Bavaria.

Thanks a lot, Marengo;)

Back
Top Bottom