Love Triumphing Over Obstacles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always loved the story of Beatrix and Claus. It was so unfair that people wouldn't accept him, just because he was German - most German WWII soldiers were just ordinary, decent guys who were sent to war!

I do love how he ended becoming so popular, though.:D

Skydragon said:
What a lovely story, was her first husband still alive when they married?:confused:
Yes he was. Lilian divorced Ivan Craig, whom she was married to for a few years, after she met Prince Bertil in London.

GrandDuchess said:
Yes he was. Lilian divorced Ivan Craig, whom she was married to for a few years, after she met Prince Bertil in London.

I read on Wikipedia that Princess Lilian has published a book about her life with Prince Bertil. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks for any info.

margotantoinette said:
I certainly think that Charles and Camilla qualify for this "award"! I must say, I detested Camilla at the beginning, but I have warmed to her over the past year or so, she truely makes Charles happy and has definitely worked on her image.

Tell me about it. They have come a long way. Their love endured even after all those years.

Kerry,

The book Princess Lilian wrote is in swedish :( Offhand I think it is called My life with Prince Bertil. To my knowledge and I have looked hard there is no book in English on Lilian and besides some articles on the internet. If anyone knows of a book on English on them, Please tell me.

I remember reading that Charles and Camilla read the story Of Bertil and Lilian and were afraid that they were going to end up like them and decided to change their situation . (For some reason I don't think Charles knew the history of Bertil and Lilian until Bertil's death in 1997 ) Actually it was reading about C+C that got me interested in the Bertil and Lilian story.

I don't think Charles and Camilla should be in this category. What was their main obstacle? Spouses? To this day, I don't see their relationship being justification for hurting so many others for such a long time.

I agree about Prince Bertil and Princess Lillian, though. Their story is very touching.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I don't think Charles and Camilla should be in this category. What was their main obstacle? Spouses? To this day, I don't see their relationship being justification for hurting so many others for such a long time.

i think so too. that was 35 years of cheating, which was aggravated by the fact that it was also very public.

on the other hand, i am astonished with King Juan Carlos's and Queen Sofia's story. three wedding ceremonies definitely cemented their love to forever! :D ;)

RhapsodyBrat said:
on the other hand, i am astonished with King Juan Carlos's and Queen Sofia's story. three wedding ceremonies definitely cemented their love to forever! :D ;)

Imagine them trying to get a divorce!:eek::D

ha ha! :D well for one, i can't, because they seem so solid and very together; and two, if they ever did (heaven forbid!) then that is bound to get crazy. :D ;)

kerry said:
I read on Wikipedia that Princess Lilian has published a book about her life with Prince Bertil. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks for any info.
I was the one who originally put that into her Wikipedia profile :D

I think I have the book somewhere among my stuff that I've put away for storage, I read it about one or two years ago (some of the pictures in the newsletter about Princess Lilian are from it as well). But as cde said, it's not available in English.

These are some examples from Sweden.

Prince Oskar, younger brother of king Gustav V, son of king Oscar II and queen Sophia (of Nassau), fell in love with a lady-in-waiting, Ebba Munck af Fulkila. She was a noblewoman, but not even that was considered good enough for a prince. But they married, and Oskar lost his title.

The future king Gustav VI Adolf even had problems getting his permission to marry his future queen Louise Mountbatten. She wasn't considered a princess. But after some researches were done, they could get married at last.

Gustav Adolf's sons Sigvard and Carl Johan, who also are Bertil's brothers, are also examples of this of course.

Skydragon said:
When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.

Why did she have to get married with the orthodox ceremony too, since she became a catholic after all?

Another love story(not sure if mentioned) was of the last Tsar of Russia Nicholas and Alexandria. queen Victoria really wasn't overjoyed by her granddaughters choice.

cde said:
Kerry,

The book Princess Lilian wrote is in swedish :( Offhand I think it is called My life with Prince Bertil. To my knowledge and I have looked hard there is no book in English on Lilian and besides some articles on the internet. If anyone knows of a book on English on them, Please tell me.....

GrandDuchess said:

I think I have the book somewhere among my stuff that I've put away for storage, I read it about one or two years ago (some of the pictures in the newsletter about Princess Lilian are from it as well). But as cde said, it's not available in English.

cde and GrandDuchess,
Guys, thanks for the info and so sorry that the book isn't available in english.

GrandDuchess...you rock! Nice contribution to Wikipedia.:D :D :D :D

Even though we don't know much about them, I would say Prince Max and Princess Angela of Liechtenstein since there were a lot of differences between them:

-her being a "commoner"
-her being American

I wish there was more out there about how they fell in love and how the relationship developed.

iannis said:
Why did she have to get married with the orthodox ceremony too, since she became a catholic after all?
Because it was an agreement between Spain (aka franco's people and the pope) and Greece (aka Queen Frederika and the government) to get married on both rites as well as civily even if she was going to convert after all; their wedding was a power play more than anything

GrandDuchess said:

Its a shame her book isn't available in English. I think it would be very interesting to read. I really do like their love story. I think she was very dedicated to him. To stay with him for so long & not to be able to get married to him right away...now that is true love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom