Left Or Right-Handed Royals?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Left Handed Royals!

Who are the left handed royals out there? I always see right handed royals, so having a left handed sister I am curious to know which royals are left handed!

William is left-handed, as is, I believe the Earl of Wessex, although he, like his grandfather, may have learnt to write right-handed. George VI was also left-handed by birth but he was forced to learn to write etc right handed as it was still believed then that there was something wrong with a left handed person.

Prince Carl-Philip of Sweden is a lefty and so is Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum of Dubai aka Crown Prince Fazza of Dubai

Last edited:
Interesting thread! The only royal who is left-handed and who comes to mind is William!

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum, was left-handed as was her husband, King George VI. Queen Victoria was a southpaw also as well as her daughter, Princess Beatrice of Battenburg, and Beatrice's daughter, the future Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain. Genetics can predispose a person to be left-handed, but you have more of a chance of being left-handed if your mother is left-handed.

^^^ Thank you! I didn't know that both the queen mum and the king were left-handed! Quite rare and interesting!

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum, was left-handed as was her husband, King George VI. Queen Victoria was a southpaw also as well as her daughter, Princess Beatrice of Battenburg, and Beatrice's daughter, the future Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain. Genetics can predispose a person to be left-handed, but you have more of a chance of being left-handed if your mother is left-handed.

I knew genetics had something to do with handedness, but I was not aware that you were more likely to be left handed if your mother is left handed. My father is left handed but neither my brother nor I are left handed. He is ambidextrous as he was born in the era when left handedness was a "sign of weakness".

The Countess of Wessex is left handed but i'm not sure if either of her children are left handed.

I knew genetics had something to do with handedness, but I was not aware that you were more likely to be left handed if your mother is left handed. My father is left handed but neither my brother nor I are left handed. He is ambidextrous as he was born in the era when left handedness was a "sign of weakness".

The Countess of Wessex is left handed but i'm not sure if either of her children are left handed.
My husband and I and all four of our parents are/were right-handed, but my husband's sister and our daughter are left-handed. Genetics can be a strange thing.

That was a Psychology 101 discussion at a college I attended. Researchers believe - still do not know for certain - that handedness may be a sex - linked trait. A person with a left-handed mother has just about 50% chance of being left-handed also. If only your father is a lefty, your chances of being left-handed increase only very slightly than if he were right-handed - which is the same case if both of your parents are right-handed.

I thought King George VI was naturally left-handed but was taught to do everything with his right-hand as left handedness in his childhood was frowned on. I have read that his stammer may have resulted from this.

My father went to school in England in the early decades of the 20th century. He was subjected to having his left arm tied behind his back during writing lessons in primary school, thus forcing him to use his right hand. I'm also left handed.

George VI had a number of issues that alienated him as a child - he had a stammer, he was left handed and forced to use his right hand, he had chronic stomach problems, and he had knock knees and was forced to wear splints. On top of all that, he was shy and sensitive.

HM QM is not left-handed

I do believe their eldest daughter, Amalia, is a southpaw though. I saw a video recorded when she was about 4 yo. It had a small clip where her pencil was in her left hand, although it did not actually show her writing. But toward the video's end, showed her kicking a soccer ball several times with her left foot.

According to this page (Famous dutch left handed people)
Bekende Linkshandige personen
dutch royal left-handers are:
K.W-A
P.Amalia
P.Maurits
Anna, daughter of P.Maurits/P.Marilene
Eloise, daughter of P.Constantijn/P.Laurentien
P.Floris

According to this page (Famous dutch left handed people)
Bekende Linkshandige personen
dutch royal left-handers are:
K.W-A
P.Amalia
P.Maurits
Anna, daughter of P.Maurits/P.Marilene
Eloise, daughter of P.Constantijn/P.Laurentien
P.Floris

I think this website is incorrect about WA - he is definitely NOT a lefty.

Attachments

• 1454474313172.jpg
    1454474313172.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 749
  • 1454474334984.jpg
    1454474334984.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 132
^^^^^
So far for reliable websites :lol:

You're right, he isn't, but there a several dutch websites who say he is; apparently all copying it off one another

Last edited:
Crown Prince Reza Cyrus Pahlavi of Iran is left-handed, like his paternal grandfather, Reza Shah.

Source: his mother's memories.

There are quite a number of photos available of the Queen Mother signing various documents over the years and they all appear to show her using her right hand.

Back
Top Bottom