If you could’ve arranged marriages between royals and other royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dantheman

Commoner
City
Victoria
Country
Australia
Obviously in the past a lot of royals tended to marry other royals do if you could pick royal partners for other royals who would you pair up?? Or what royal marriage would you arrange for our younger royals??

For me King Charles would be married to Margareta of Romania or grand duchess Maria vladimirovna - I think him and Margareta seem to get Along well enough and I’d love to see what Maria would’ve been like as Queen consort

William with Theodora of greece

Lady Louise Windsor with Christian of Denmark and then she would be a future queen!!

Last edited:
Obviously in the past a lot of royals tended to marry other royals do if you could pick royal partners for other royals who would you pair up?? Or what royal marriage would you arrange for our younger royals??

For me King Charles would be married to Margareta of Romania or grand duchess Maria vladimirovna - I think him and Margareta seem to get Along well enough and I’d love to see what Maria would’ve been like as Queen consort

Lacy Louise Windsor with Christian of Denmark and then she would be a future queen!!

William with Madeleine of Sweden would have been a perfect match in terms of age, religion, etc.

Leonor, Princess of Asturias with Gabriel of Belgium is also an excellent match.

Ooh I like that of Christian and Louise.

How about Charlotte and Nicholas of Sweden as well?

James Earl of Wessex and Leonor of Sweden?

Charles and Anne-Marie.

Estelle and either Vincent of Denmark or Louis of Wales if she feels like a younger guy. :cool:

Infanta Sofia and Gabriel of Belgium.

Frederik and Märtha Louise — let them work out their issues on each other!

Ooh I like that of Christian and Louise.

How about Charlotte and Nicholas of Sweden as well?

James Earl of Wessex and Leonor of Sweden?

I think Leonore of Sweden is a better match in terms of age for Prince George of Wales. They are both 9, aren't they? If I am not mistaken, George is only 7 months or so older than Leonore, but I don't quite remember.

I think Leonore of Sweden is a better match in terms of age for Prince George of Wales. They are both 9, aren't they? If I am not mistaken, George is only 7 months or so older than Leonore, but I don't quite remember.

When they are adults a few months or even a handful of years will likely matter far less.

I laughed when I saw the suggestion of Louise and Christian. Although they're two years apart, she seems so much more grown up at this point, she could be 10 years older. (But, who knows? I wonder if they've ever met.)

It's the same with Queen Anne-Marie and King Charles. They're two years apart, I think, but he still seemed like a little boy when she married King Constantine.

If there are any blue-eyed princesses born circa 2006, then one of them for future emperor Hisahito of Japan, in the hopes that Hiranuma Takeo (the politician who stated prior to Hisahito's birth that "If Aiko becomes the reigning empress, and gets involved with a blue-eyed foreigner while studying abroad and marries him, their child may be the emperor. We should never let that happen") will be asked to comment. ;)

:previous: That's wild but I love it:D I do hope Aiko marrys aboard (to royal or non royal), just to get rid of the IHA:whistling:

Lady Louise and Gabriel of Belgium.

SM of Norway and C-A of the Netherlands (isn't her mother his godmother? The connection is here:lol:)

(I know he already has a girlfriend but) Count Nikolai and Elisabeth of Belgium

Maud Behn and Christian of Denmark (Margarethe would appreciate her artistic talent ? BTW interesting that Maud could be the Queen of Norway if absolute primogeniture applies to her mother.)

Jacques of Monaco and Leonore of Sweden

Charlotte of Wales and Oscar of Sweden

Between the rival branches of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, the Castro girls with the Calabria younger boys:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If there are any blue-eyed princesses born circa 2006, then one of them for future emperor Hisahito of Japan, in the hopes that Hiranuma Takeo (the politician who stated prior to Hisahito's birth that "If Aiko becomes the reigning empress, and gets involved with a blue-eyed foreigner while studying abroad and marries him, their child may be the emperor. We should never let that happen") will be asked to comment. ;)
I don’t think a lot of people would be accepting of a foreigner marrying into the Imperial family regardless of whether they were royal or not. I think if the person is a Japanese regardless of whether they are from a rich family, an honourable and educated family like Empress Masako’s, a middle class but respectable and educated family, a bride from one of the old former branches of the Imperial family or from one of the former nobles or an important government officials family like the late Prime minister Shinzo Abe’s.

Lady Louise Windsor with Christian of Denmark and then she would be a future queen!!
Well the slight difference between reigning royals of the old days and ones of today is that most of the current ones are married to people who aren’t royal.

What could have been a great match would be Infanta Maria Francisca of Portugal and Prince Georg of Liechtenstein. But alas she’s happily engaged.

I think Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein and future Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

Prince Wenzel of Liechtenstein and Princess Natasha d’Arenberg (since there aren’t a lot of reigning princesses his age to marry, a lady from a mediatized family whose family once reigned over a duchy and are now part of the Belgian nobility will have to do)

Princess Laetitia Maria of Habsburg d’Este (daughter of Prince Lorenz) with Prince Alexandre d’Arenberg or Prince Georg of Liechtenstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't this all ludicrous. Arranged marriages have gone out and nobody wants them back.

Princess Laetitia Maria of Habsburg d’Este (daughter of Prince Lorenz) with Prince Alexandre d’Arenberg or Prince Georg of Liechtenstein.

Laetitia Maria is a Princess of Belgium, like her father and mother. Her surname is "d'Autriche-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)".

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-24.html#post2455661

Well the slight difference between reigning royals of the old days and ones of today is that most of the current ones are married to people who aren’t royal.

There continue to be a good number of royal-royal marriages, and they seem particularly common in the Middle Eastern royal houses.

isn't this all ludicrous. Arranged marriages have gone out and nobody wants them back.

Given that the OP's premise includes forum posters arranging marriages for dead people, this is obviously not intended as a realistic simulation.

As for your statement that "Arranged marriages have gone out and nobody wants them back": Arranged marriages remain the standard in many cultures, and many people who are in happy arranged marriages no doubt do "want" their marriages.

I doubt if anyone in the royal community wants them back, since they have caused such grief to many many people, what is the point of this?

I doubt if anyone in the royal community wants them back, since they have caused such grief to many many people, what is the point of this?
There are plenty of royals outside Europe who do them and some in Europe who do them. How many people have been affected?

These aren’t even real matches, so I don’t see what’s the fuss

Last edited by a moderator:
since they have caused such grief to many many people, what is the point of this?

I am not sure what you mean by "this". Arranged marriages? Or lighthearted threads for entertaining hypotheticals? Non-arranged marriages and serious forum discussions about real events have also "caused such grief to many many people".

As this is not the appropriate thread for a serious discussion about the merits of arranged royal marriages, I have posted my reply to your other comment (about not wanting arranged marriages) here:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/true-love-marriages-19947-21.html#post2551636

Last edited:
Laetitia Maria is a Princess of Belgium, like her father and mother. Her surname is "d'Autriche-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)".

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-24.html#post2455661

There continue to be a good number of royal-royal marriages, and they seem particularly common in the Middle Eastern royal houses.

Given that the OP's premise includes forum posters arranging marriages for dead people, this is obviously not intended as a realistic simulation.

As for your statement that "Arranged marriages have gone out and nobody wants them back": Arranged marriages remain the standard in many cultures, and many people who are in happy arranged marriages no doubt do "want" their marriages.
Well I meant most European reigning royals, but the Middle Eastern royals are the exception.

I'm afraid that the words "arranged marriages" in the topic has been taken out of context. OP has never mentioned "bringing back 'arranged marriage'". "If you could've arranged marriage between royals" is more about "which two royals could be a nice match".

Unless you think royal-royal marriage is equal to arranged marriage.

And I thought it supposed to be a lighthearted, entertaining thread.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the words "arranged marriages" in the topic has been taken out of context. OP has never mentioned "bringing back 'arranged marriage'". "If you could've arranged marriage between royals" is more about "which two royals could be a nice match".

Unless you think royal-royal marriage is equal to arranged marriage.

And I thought it supposed to be a lighthearted, entertaining thread.
Some people see it “differently” and don’t realise it’s not serious at all

It is a fun hypothetical- if you don’t find it interesting or fun then please feel free to not read the thread. No one is suggesting that these will happen ie obviously Charles and Margareta of Romania are not going to marry. It really was just meant to be a spot of harmless fun

I would like to see Princess Leonor of Asturias with Prince Gabriel of Belgium.

Infanta Sofia stayed with Prince Christian of Denmark and so Sofia also became queen.

Prince George of England stayed with Princess Josephine of Denmark.

Princess Estelle of Sweden was with Prince Vincent of Denmark.

Princess Isabella of Denmark stayed with James, son of the Dukes of Edinburgh.

I would like to see Princess Leonor of Asturias with Prince Gabriel of Belgium.

Infanta Sofia stayed with Prince Christian of Denmark and so Sofia also became queen.

Prince George of England stayed with Princess Josephine of Denmark.

Princess Estelle of Sweden was with Prince Vincent of Denmark.

Princess Isabella of Denmark stayed with James, son of the Dukes of Edinburgh.

Excellent matches. Congratulations!

In practice, however, Infanta Sofia would probably have to become Lutheran to marry Prince Christian, just as Henri de Monpezat did to marry Margaret. In the past that would have been a taboo for a Spanish royal, but I don't think Leonor and Sofia are terribly religious (as at least their mother is a non-believer), so it might be possible.

Last edited:
Excellent matches. Congratulations!

In practice, however, Infanta Sofia would probably have to become Lutheran to marry Prince Christian, just as Henri de Monpezat did to marry Margaret. In the past that would have been a taboo for a Spanish royal, but I don't think Leonor and Sofia are terribly religious (as at least their mother is a non-believer), so it might be possible.
There's only a constitutional requirement for the monarch to be a member of the Church of Denmark so Princess Sofia wouldn't have to convert although that would probably be preferable. That said I seriously doubt that if Sofia would want to stay Catholic it wouldn't be a big deal.

There's only a constitutional requirement for the monarch to be a member of the Church of Denmark so Princess Sofia wouldn't have to convert although that would probably be preferable. That said I seriously doubt that if Sofia would want to stay Catholic it wouldn't be a big deal.

I know it is not a constitutional requirement, but Henri converted from Catholicism to Lutheranism and CP Princess Mary, who was a Presbyterian, also joined the Lutheran Church. Wikipedia says that Princess Marie, also formerly a Catholic, converted too.

Those (recent) examples lead me to conclude that, as I stressed, in practice, joining the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark would be expected of the consort of a Danish prince and, even more so, of the future Queen Consort.

For the record, I don't think either Henri, Mary or Marie were practicing members of their respective original churches. Someone who takes being a Catholic seriously would rather not get married than convert in my opinion. Infanta Sofia went to a Catholic school and is about to be confirmed, but I don't know how strongly she feels about religion.

Last edited:

Yes and no.

It depends on three things:
A) Will DK continue to have a state church? Probably not after the next change in the Constitution, but that may be decades into the future, as there are no major calls - or need - to change the Constitution at present.
B) If Sofia is to step in as Rigsforstander (Mary having set a precedent here) Sofia will have to be a member of the (Lutheran) State Church.
C) Whether Sofia is such a devout Catholic that she cannot in good conscience change her affiliation.

- There are additional things to consider to make these hypothetical match makings even more challenging: ;)
A) Cultural similarities. Including national traits and national ties.
B) Political considerations. - Say post-Brexit UK wishing to place a permanent goodwill ambassador within the royal family of a major EU economy. Or Asian economy? Japan springs to mind, not least since UK has joined CPTPP.
C) Do our young people know each other well? Are their parents good friends? That would make a match more likely.
D) By now we are beginning to know most of the current young royals pretty well. Their personalities, interests, way to handle the public and press. I.e. a match complementing each other and thus make a better team. Like a shy person being matched with someone who is good with the public. - Or a Charlotte of UK to hold the ears of one of her perhaps very outgoing and party-minded princely colleagues. Something I personally think she is showing promises of being good at. :D
E) For the really advanced speculations: Who says it has to be a male-female match? This is after all a thread for fun and where there are few limits for speculation. There is statistically speaking a pretty good chance that the first open homosexual monarch (or heir) will sit on a throne within the next couple of decades.

Last edited:
I remember years ago there was a similar thread and a lot of people would’ve liked Prince William and Princess Madeleine. I would’ve loved for that to have happened.

Anyway talking about future royal matches:

Princess Estelle with Prince Vincent
Princess Leonore and Prince George
Lady Louise Windsor’s with Count Nikolai or count Felix
Princess Elisabeth with Prince Georg or Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein
Princess Leonor with Prince Moritz of Liechtenstein
Infanta Sofia with Prince Emmanuel
James Mountbatten - Windsor with Princess Alexia
Princess Charlotte with Prince Henrik
Prince Louis with Princess Adrienne
Prince Vincent with Princess Amalia
Princess Catharina Amalia with Prince Alfons of Liechtenstein
Princess Ingrid Alexandra with Prince Achileas Andreas or his younger brother Prince Odysseas Kimon
Prince Jacques with archduchess Anna Astrid of Belgium and Austria
Prince Sverre Magnus with Princess Isabella

E) For the really advanced speculations: Who says it has to be a male-female match? This is after all a thread for fun and where there are few limits for speculation. There is statistically speaking a pretty good chance that the first open homosexual monarch (or heir) will sit on a throne within the next couple of decades.

The percentage of people, especially under 35, who now identify as "non-strictly heterosexual" is considerably high by historical standards in western countries. But that includes many people who identify as bisexual, gender fluid, and so on, and not only people who are just gay.

So, yes, statistically the probability of a non-heterosexual heir to a European monarchy in the next decades is now higher if the royal families follow the same trend of the general population. Would an heir be, however, openly gay or contract a same-sex marriage? To be honest, I don't think we are at that stage yet, not because of the marriage per se (same-sex marriages are legal and socially accepted, even normalized, in most western countries), but because there is still this notion that a king or a crown prince must produce legitimate heirs to the crown, even when he has siblings (with issue of their own) who can inherit the throne (and, therefore, having children is, strictly speaking, not necessary for him).

There have been of course a few gay kings throughout history. Some were widely known to be gay, but it was a different time when that could not be made "official", so they remained single or even got married and had children with female spouses while still having a gay life in private.

Last edited:
The percentage of people, especially under 35, who now identify as "non-strictly heterosexual" is considerably high by historical standards in western countries. But that includes many people who identify as bisexual, gender fluid, and so on, and not only people who are just gay.

So, yes, statistically the probability of a non-heterosexual heir to a European monarchy in the next decades is now higher if the royal families follow the same trend of the general population. Would an heir be, however, openly gay or contract a same-sex marriage? To be honest, I don't think we are at that stage yet, not because of the marriage per se (same-sex marriages are legal and socially accepted, even normalized, in most western countries), but because there is still this notion that a king or a crown prince must produce legitimate heirs to the crown, even when he has siblings (with issue of their own) who can inherit the throne (and, therefore, having children is, strictly speaking, not necessary for him).

There have been of course a few gay kings throughout history. Some were widely known to be gay, but it was a different time when that could not be made "official", so they remained single or even got married and had children with female spouses while still having a gay life in private.

Indeed.
But the problem wouldn't be different than a situation where the monarch can't have children. So from a dynastic point of view a same-sex marriage is perfectly possible so long as there is a spare within the family.
And now that it is possible to create an embryo from no less than three donors and insert that embryo into a man if need be (a male consort) it could even be possible for two of the same sex to have their own, legitimate and biological child.
IVF treatment is routine nowadays and according to very persistent rumors at least one prominent royal couple have had such help.
So while there are considerable political, religious, cultural objections, it is possible - and as with anything else only a matter of time, before royals get there as well.
As for Christian. We can be shockingly frank in DK and leading politicians have already been asked what their stance would be, should Christian be gay. The answer among Danish (and I think Greenlandic as well, but it's a bit more complicated for the Faeroe Islands) politicians is that they can't be a favor of granting homosexuals the right to marry and have children, including various forms of manipulation to obtain that goal, and not extend that right to Christian. So should a gay Christian wish to marry the man of his life, the politicians cannot and will not object. As for the State Church, individual priests can object but the church itself cannot and will not.
Most of the public would be in the same situation. There is an overwhelming public support for gay rights in DK, so while a lot of people deep down will have considerable reservations, most would find it very hypocritical to voice that openly.

In countries like the Principality of Monaco, the Catholic religion is steeped into the very fabric of the culture with Processions for various saints etc. The Sovereign or his spouse always participates.

If the head of the reigning Family and his/her Consort was non Catholic, I could see it becoming awkward.

And yes, same sex unions in the general population are becoming more acceptable than ever, particularly among young people.

But for Royals, there is the issue of hereditary succession. How would it work with a same sex couple? I have never heard or read about a human born without female reproductive organs successfully carrying a child for 9 months and giving birth to it.

Except for the realm of fantasy and science fiction, it has never happened.

ETA: I was one of the Royal watchers who believed a William/Madeleine match would have been heavenly. However, I have slowly come to believe it would not have been ideal (except on paper). Madeleine seems too non conformist and independent and Scandinavian for the Court of St. James. I don't believe she and William would have understood one another.

I was slow to warm to Kate Middleton but I have to admit she is virtually perfect for the role of princess and future Queen of England.

Last edited:
But for Royals, there is the issue of hereditary succession. How would it work with a same sex couple. I have never heard or read about a human born without female reproduction organs successfully carrying a child for 9 months and giving birth to it.

There is always the chance of a prince falling in love with a trans male spouse who then chooses to become pregnant (or a princess with a trans female spouse who chooses to impregnate her).

I don't know how it would work when you have to get a third-party involved.

Last edited:
Leonor of Spain with one of the sons of Prince Guilaume of Luxembourg and Sibilla Weiller (Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Leopold, Prince Jean).
Pros :
1. The boys are male line Bourbon. So the royal house of Spain will remain Bourbon.
2. They are from a reigning royal family (Luxembourg), unlike other Bourbon branches that are no longer reiging.
3. Their mother, Sibilla Weiller is a descendant of King Alfonso XIII of Spain through Infanta Beatriz. So, Leonor and the boys are third cousins. Not harmful genetically but still related.

Back
Top Bottom