How do the Royal Houses Compare/Contrast?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that 'Possession is nine-tenths of the Law', the institution at the 'top' of the state is always in a better position than any potential rival.
In Britain for example [aside from the constitutional difficulties for instituting a Republic] COUNTLESS major changes would need to be made [and require SUPPORT from the Public].. 'Royal Air Force' to 'National Air Force', anyone ?
People are notoriously 'averse to change', so the re-naming of countless 'Household Names',familiar for generations, re-design of Uniforms, stationary,Law Courts, etc,etc is unlikely to be popular.[IMAGINE the financial cost] !
It will take some HUGE scandal or unimaginable cataclysm to persuade a MAJORITY of the virtues of such a radical change..

The Monsrchy suffered two important setbacks in the 20th century when Ireland and, to a lesser extent, (white-ruled) South Africa became republics. If, in the next decades, Australia voted to become a republic, I believe it would send ripple effects not only to New Zealand and Canada obviously, but to the UK itself as it would be a practical example of the feasibility of a more or less seamless transition from the monarchy to a republic in a country that is still seen culturally as part of the “Anglosphere” , including renaming the Navy or Air Force, or removing references to the Crown from other elements of daily life , the law and state institutions.

Last edited:
I think that popularity of the institution of the monarchy should be distinguished from the popularity of the individual monarch.

While it can't be denied that Charles is less popular than his mother and son, he is popular enough, and the institution is certainly popular enough, that I don't see the monarchy being abolished during his reign.

Now what will undoubtedly happen is that the UK will lose some dominion countries, but that will not be a reflection on Charles, it will be a reflection of the times.

that's true. Charles isn't as popular as his mother.. who has achieved something of the admiration that the British traditionally give to people who have lived a long time and been around in public life for decades. He has been controversial at times and there are for some people issues about the ending of his first Marriage. however I agree that he's reasonably popular and the institution of Monarchy is generally tolerated and preferred in Britian to any alternative.

This article compares the Japanese imperial family with the British royal family.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-impetus-change-japans-rigid-imperial-system/

It’s impossible. It’s not written in the Imperial House Law, but no divorcee would be considered a possibility,” said Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor of Japanese history at Kobe College who is familiar with Imperial affairs.

[…]

“I myself feel it’s OK (for an Imperial family member) to get married with a foreigner. But in Japan, some people are still very conservative,” Kawanishi said of the nation’s right-leaning politicians and voters.

“They are a minority, but they are very vocal” in politics, he added.

[…]

In fact, unlike many European royal families, the official history of the Imperial family contains no record of marriages involving foreign nationals going back for hundreds of years. But according to that record, the mother of Emperor Kanmu, who reigned from 781 to 806, was a descendant of a Korean immigrant family.

Otabe said that through the process of modernization since the late 19th century, Japanese have worked hard to maintain a sense of nationality to avoid being overwhelmed by the West.

“Japan has overcome the weakness of being a latecomer modern state by keeping the people united with a sense of nationalism,” Otabe said. “Somewhere in mind, I think people still fear this sense of nationality could be lost” if Imperial traditions are dramatically changed.

[…]

The British royal family actively tries to publicize its activities and history to win public support. It even sells products featuring its members, Kimizuka noted.

But the Imperial family has never engaged in such promotional activities, Kimizuka said.

“I don’t think many people know the family has six unmarried women other than Princess Aiko,” Kimizuka said, referring to the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako. “So people don’t know how tough their public duties are at all. … That’s a very strange situation.”

Several factors are likely behind the decision to maintain a low profile.

First, given the dark memories of Japan’s militarist past, much of it centered on the Imperial system, the postwar Constitution strictly bans emperors from engaging in political activities. Thus their main activities have long been limited to nonpolitical ceremonies and events.

Second, during the Occupation, the Imperial family was deprived of most of its assets and estates. The family now lives on government expenditures.

[…]

“British royal family members prioritize the freedom of individuals as long as it won’t pose a problem for the state. That’s a big difference with Japan,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom