How do the Royal Houses Compare/Contrast?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really The King appears aloof and The Queen cold? How so? Why is their throne consider precarious? Anything can change in the future?

You might want to check the topic on the future of the monarchy of Spain. All the recent scandals in the Spanish royal family don't suggest a stable monarchy. And Letizia has never been popular with the Spaniards (nor with her in-laws and Felipe's friends apparently). They might be doing the right thing but give the impression as if they are 'above' their people. The main exception is when tragedy hits, in those times they visit those impacted most and show compassion.

On a worldwide scale the Spanish monarchy still attracts some interest in Latin America but that needs to be condolidated in the next decade as Juan Carlos is less and less able to travel and the official familia real has been reduced to only 4 adult members.

There influence won’t be as strong and big as it is now. Everyone knows it’s the Queen who is keeping the monarchy together. After that all bets are off. Honestly I can never see anyone raising the BRF profile in America like Diana did. Outside the world Megan and Harry are a non factor.

With all due respect:
When it comes down to it, I don't think for the British RF their profile in the USofA is relevant... if any "profile" to the outside world is important it will primarily be that in the countries they reign...

Without their fame how would they bring awareness to charities or bring tourism to the country? They are public servants and they and you need to understand that.
The Queen is loved and respected for her non-wavering service to the nation.
The royals need to be known yes but, at least to me, staying relevant is different from being famous.
The minute royals start to court the media they're on a downhill slope hurting themselves and the monarchy as evident for instance in the fate of Diana of Wales.
Most royals of Europe are not worldwide tabloid celebrities and do just fine both in their private lives and as representatives of their respective countries.

You might want to check the topic on the future of the monarchy of Spain. All the recent scandals in the Spanish royal family don't suggest a stable monarchy. And Letizia has never been popular with the Spaniards (nor with her in-laws and Felipe's friends apparently). They might be doing the right thing but give the impression as if they are 'above' their people. The main exception is when tragedy hits, in those times they visit those impacted most and show compassion.

On a worldwide scale the Spanish monarchy still attracts some interest in Latin America but that needs to be condolidated in the next decade as Juan Carlos is less and less able to travel and the official familia real has been reduced to only 4 adult members.
Wow didn’t know that about Letzia. I always assumed she was quite popular. Wow so no monarchy for Leonor to possibly inherit?

The Queen is loved and respected for her non-wavering service to the nation.
The royals need to be known yes but, at least to me, staying relevant is different from being famous.
The minute royals start to court the media they're on a downhill slope hurting themselves and the monarchy as evident for instance in the fate of Diana of Wales.
Most royals of Europe are not worldwide tabloid celebrities and do just fine both in their private lives and as representatives of their respective countries.
Makes sense

With all due respect:
When it comes down to it, I don't think for the British RF their profile in the USofA is relevant... if any "profile" to the outside world is important it will primarily be that in the countries they reign...
You just said Harry and Markle would increase relevance in America.

Again, Prince Charles attended Haakon’s, Philippe’s , Willem-Alexander’s , Felipe’s, and even Infanta Elena’s weddings. He also attended the funeral of Prince Clauss. It was only in the mid-2000s that the P.oW stopped attending royal events in the continent.

Last edited:
There influence won’t be as strong and big as it is now. Everyone knows it’s the Queen who is keeping the monarchy together. After that all bets are off. Honestly I can never see anyone raising the BRF profile in America like Diana did. Outside the world Megan and Harry are a non factor.
OUtside the world??? What does that mean?

Wow didn’t know that about Letzia. I always assumed she was quite popular. Wow so no monarchy for Leonor to possibly inherit?

Popular support for the monarchy in Spain is around 60 %, which is reasonably comfortable. As our regular Spanish posters have saiid here, parliamentary monarchy is a consolidated system of government in post-Franco Spain and it is unlikely it will be replaced with a different system in the near future. The main challenge to the monarchy comes from Catalan separatism, which is an issue that the Spanish national government has IMHO mishandled for quite some time now.

Overall, I think all surviving European monarchies, including the seemingly most viulnerable ones like Belgium and Spain , are pretty much safe at least for another generation or so.

Last edited:
I meant outside of GB and royal fan bubble.

That's funny, Harry got plenty of publicity at the Invictus Games in Florida, enough to draw ex President Bush and Vice President Biden. And Obama came to the IG in Toronto. Presumably they are all in the 'Royal fan bubble'.

Also, Victoria Arbiter discussed recording five or six interviews for different wedding documentaries in one week, a few days ago. All to be broadcast to those uninterested Yanks!

Popular support for the monarchy in Spain is around 60 %, which is reasonably comfortable. As our regular Spanish posters have saiid here, parliamentary monarchy is a consolidated system of government in post-Franco Spain and it is unlikely it will be replaced with a different system in the near future. The main challenge to the monarchy comes from Catalan separatism, which is an issue that the Spanish national government has IMHO mishandled for quite some time now.

Overall, I think all surviving European monarchies, including the seemingly most viulnerable ones like Belgium and Spain , are pretty much safe at least for another generation or so.
Idk but I believe that Spanish monarchy is very delicate and I can totally see it going away no the future. I don’t know the future same as you but I do not see a future Queen Leonor.

That's funny, Harry got plenty of publicity at the Invictus Games in Florida, enough to draw ex President Bush and Vice President Biden. And Obama came to the IG in Toronto. Presumably they are all in the 'Royal fan bubble'.

Also, Victoria Arbiter discussed recording five or six interviews for different wedding documentaries in one week, a few days ago. All to be broadcast to those uninterested Yanks!

Markle and Harry wedding is not that big of an event and someone said that they will bring so much revelnacy to America and J disagree.

Idk but I believe that Spanish monarchy is very delicate and I can totally see it going away no the future. I don’t know the future same as you but I do not see a future Queen Leonor.
Funny because I don't see a future King George either. I for one hope Spain's monarchy survives for the kings daughters.

Last edited:
Funny because I don't see a future King George either. I for one hope Spain's monarchy survives for the kings daughters.

Well I agree I do not see a future King George. I do too want the monarchy in Spain to survive. Sucks how once was a great monarchy in the past and now it ended like this. But I have this thought that the monarchy will not last long term and Leonor won't be Queen.

You stated some posts back that because King Felipe and Queen Letizia and their daughters had such a good image that they will be influential and popular, more so than the BRF in the future Now you say Leonor won't be Queen. Please make up your mind.

Incidentally, I think a big part of the BRF's public image is because of the English-speaking world- the realms and the powerful US media. If a royal family is not from an English speaking part of the world they are on the back foot unfortunately in those quarters.

You just said Harry and Markle would increase relevance in America.

You must be mistaken me with someone else :flowers:
But the only parts of "America" that are relevant to the BRF (if any) are the parts they reign, like Canada...

Royals in a monarchy do not have to rely on popularity with the people like politicians in democracies do(and judging by some election-shows of politicians around the world, i say "Thank God for that")

Imo most monarchies will last a long time yet, because the alternative is not much better...

just imo ofcourse

You must be mistaken me with someone else :flowers:
But the only parts of "America" that are relevant to the BRF (if any) are the parts they reign, like Canada...

Royals in a monarchy do not have to rely on popularity with the people like politicians in democracies do(and judging by some election-shows of politicians around the world, i say "Thank God for that")

Imo most monarchies will last a long time yet, because the alternative is not much better...

just imo ofcourse
I guess we agree to disagree. I believe the monarchy needs to retain its popularity.

You stated some posts back that because King Felipe and Queen Letizia and their daughters had such a good image that they will be influential and popular, more so than the BRF in the future Now you say Leonor won't be Queen. Please make up your mind.

Incidentally, I think a big part of the BRF's public image is because of the English-speaking world- the realms and the powerful US media. If a royal family is not from an English speaking part of the world they are on the back foot unfortunately in those quarters.
Yes I believe that. Also I’m not ignorant to the fact that the Spanish monarchy is fragile and may not be around in the long term. I hope I am wrong though causeFelipe and Letizi is great.
That makes sense for the BRF.

I meant outside of GB and royal fan bubble.

Why would they want to be "famous or influential" outside GB? They enjoy a good deal of popularity in the US and in English speaking countries.. because they do share a language and so the media about them is accessible.. to Americans. I really am giving up as I don't quite follow your arguments.

Why would they want to be "famous or influential" outside GB? They enjoy a good deal of popularity in the US and in English speaking countries.. because they do share a language and so the media about them is accessible.. to Americans. I really am giving up as I don't quite follow your arguments.
My goodness many of you take my post out of context. Face it the monarchy already has influence and fame and the popularity. Also great for the country ect... if they didn’t have the popularity and respect in their own country it would be gone

My goodness many of you take my post out of context. Face it the monarchy already has influence and fame and the popularity. Also great for the country ect... if they didn’t have the popularity and respect in their own country it would be gone

OK I really don't understand you. YOu say that the monarchy will lose its influence once the queen is gone.. which is to say the least dubious..
The queen is indeed much admired but she can't live forever and people know that she will be replaced..
unless you are saying that it will end, then once Eliz II dies, I'm not sure what you are saying...

OK I really don't understand you. YOu say that the monarchy will lose its influence once the queen is gone.. which is to say the least dubious..
The queen is indeed much admired but she can't live forever and people know that she will be replaced..
unless you are saying that it will end, then once Eliz II dies, I'm not sure what you are saying...

It will not end I hope not cause I love the monarchy but it will probably lose much of its significance and influence. My opinion.

People said exactly that about the monarchy in Britain when Victoria was nearing the end of her very long reign of over 63 years. There were grave fears about what sort of a monarch Edward VII would make and how the country would never be the same without her guiding hand. Yet the monarchy and its influence did survive, and we are now in the 21st century. It's natural at the end of a very long reign of a much admired monarch that people are apprehensive. However, as we saw with Victoria, it's generally without cause.

People said exactly that about the monarchy in Britain when Victoria was nearing the end of her very long reign of over 63 years. There were grave fears about what sort of a monarch Edward VII would make and how the country would never be the same without her guiding hand. Yet the monarchy and its influence did survive, and we are now in the 21st century. It's natural at the end of a very long reign of a much admired monarch that people are apprehensive. However, as we saw with Victoria, it's generally without cause.
One mistakes I always did was look to the past to judge the future. You can’t do that always. Times change, people change. You can not simply flat out say thy will happen.

None of the debate is new. 117 years ago we were told the ‘young people’ would no longer support the monarchy after Victoria.

Here we are with her great-great granddaughter on the throne.

One mistakes I always did was look to the past to judge the future. You can’t do that always. Times change, people change. You can not simply flat out say thy will happen.

The higher international profile of Queen Elizabeth II (and, by extension, the BRF) compared to other sovereigns is due to multiple (rather straightforward) facts:

1. Queen Elizabeth II is the Head of State not only of the United Kingdom, but also of 15 other countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and various Caribbean countries, making her the only truly multinational/imperial monarch today.
  2. On top of that, Queen Elizabeth II is also the Head of the Commonwealth, which, in addition to the 16 realms where she is Queen, also includes, I think, 38 other countries, including important countries like India, South Africa, Nigeria, Pakistan, etc. That makes Queen Elizabeth II an icon in many different parts of the world.
  3. Queen Elizabeth II has also been on the throne for over 65 years, has traveled extensively all over the world and met most of the major world leaders of the past 50 years at least. That gives her a level of international exposure and recognition that is unmatched by another living Head of State.
  4. And, last but not least, it is true that the British Royal Family is the only RF that is widely known and covered in the United States (most Americans don't even know that Spain, Sweden or the Netherlands have a monarchy for example). Since most of the international media organizations with a global reach, because of the English-language advantage, are de facto based in the US or the UK (e.g. CNN, BBC, Sky/Fox, etc.) , the fact that the BRF is pretty much the only RF regularly covered by those outlets does make a difference in terms of international exposure, especially outside Europe.

Last edited:
I think that popularity of the institution of the monarchy should be distinguished from the popularity of the individual monarch.

While it can't be denied that Charles is less popular than his mother and son, he is popular enough, and the institution is certainly popular enough, that I don't see the monarchy being abolished during his reign.

Now what will undoubtedly happen is that the UK will lose some dominion countries, but that will not be a reflection on Charles, it will be a reflection of the times.

Popularity of course is relative. Charles on his worst day is still more popular than the Prime Minister. Politicians are the greatest asset to hereditary monarchy.

Plus as stated, the ‘institution’ of monarchy is as strong as ever.

Given that 'Possession is nine-tenths of the Law', the institution at the 'top' of the state is always in a better position than any potential rival.
In Britain for example [aside from the constitutional difficulties for instituting a Republic] COUNTLESS major changes would need to be made [and require SUPPORT from the Public].. 'Royal Air Force' to 'National Air Force', anyone ?

People are notoriously 'averse to change', so the re-naming of countless 'Household Names',familiar for generations, re-design of Uniforms, stationary,Law Courts, etc,etc is unlikely to be popular.[IMAGINE the financial cost] !

It will take some HUGE scandal or unimaginable cataclysm to persuade a MAJORITY of the virtues of such a radical change..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom