Royal Hobbies and Interests

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meraude

Serene Highness
City
-
Country
Antarctica
I know that queen Margrethe of Denmark is very skilled as an embroiderer (as well as in other artistic pursuits) and her maternal great-grandfather, Gustav V of Sweden, was also fond of stitching, http://jabbojabbo.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/gustafv_broderar2.jpg?w=240&h=138 Several other members of the Swedish royal family have had an interest of sewing. Here's a dress princess Margaretha made in the 1960:ies, 1960-tal. Foto Erik Lernestål | Cision Wire , at Märthaskolan, a dressmaking school named after princess Märtha of Sweden, later crown princess of Norway, who once was a student there.

The Bernadotte family have had many members interested in painting and drawing, music and design, maybe the most well-known designer was count Sigvard Bernadotte and today prince Carl Philip have studied design and princess Madeleine have university studies in art history.

The prince of Wales is also a royal with an interest in art, his watercolours are well-known.

Are there other royals interested in creating art and in doing different crafts?

Last edited:
I had no idea that members of the Swedish Royal Family liked to sew and stitch. Very talented people. I know that the Prince of Wales loves to paint and has some really lovely watercolors. I've read that Margrethe II of Denmark was a very talented artist (I've never seen any of her works though).

Queen Margrethe is reknowned for her love of arts and crafts. Apart from painting and lithographs, she enjoys making Christmas decorations and decoupage, designing theatre costumes and undoubtably designing some of her own clothes. She also enjoys flower arranging and of-course designing monograms.

Queen Beatrix enjoys sculpture and is very good at it.

The Prince of Wales is the only British royal I know of who paints (Queen Victoria used to draw). Prince Andrew was very much into photography at one point.

Queen Margrethe is reknowned for her love of arts and crafts. Apart from painting and lithographs, she enjoys making Christmas decorations and decoupage, designing theatre costumes and undoubtably designing some of her own clothes. She also enjoys flower arranging and of-course designing monograms.
Yes, she is very talented. She has embroidered several robes to Danish churches too. I remeber reading an article about her and her embroideries in a Swedish sewing magazine some years ago. Here you can find some examples of her artistic works: http://www.studiolauraeus.com/margarethe_koko.pdf

The artistic talent in the Bernadotte family goes back at least as far as the children of Oscar I, his son Gustaf was a known composer and his daugher Eugénie made water colours showing her everyday life, there are some of her works at the art museum in Visby, Gotland. The most well-known painter in the Bernadotte family was prince Eugen, son of Oscar II. His home in Stockholm, Waldemarsudde, is now an art museum. Here ar some of the works of Eugénie and Eugen: http://www.waldemarsudde.se/xpress_bernadotter.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Meraude. Yes, I forgot about the robes - she also designed an alter cloth as well I believe. Very talented indeed and it's amazing she is able to find time to pursue so many interests. I read in a Hello! Magazine interview a couple of years ago that she reserves Thursday afternoons for her art.

Queen Beatrix enjoys sculpture and is very good at it.

The Prince of Wales is the only British royal I know of who paints (Queen Victoria used to draw). Prince Andrew was very much into photography at one point.

Don't forget the Duke of Edinburgh, Jack. He's been known to dabble in painting also.

I believe Queen Mary was fond of needlework as well. She taught her son, later the Duke of Windsor, the craft as well and he was an expert. :)

Well, you learn something everyday EIIR! I had no idea that the Duke was a painter - and what a great painting that was of the Queen at the breakfast table!
Seeing the arts and crafts made and created by people is interesting because I think it lets you in on another dimension of the person's character. I think most people are potentially creative even if it's just a few blotches on a piece of paper, because it's still something unique to that person. Of-course another royal we should mention is Lord Linley who designs and makes wooden objects - expensive wooden objects but nonetheless very beautiful!
Gosh, when you start to think about it there are many royals who do arts and crafts! I've just remembered the IRF of Japan's poetry and there must be some artists among them aswell.

I know that princess Grace of Monaco was interested in flower arrangements and she made dried flower arrangements and sold some of them for charity.

I know that princess Grace of Monaco was interested in flower arrangements and she made dried flower arrangements and sold some of them for charity.

I gave that a shot once and it takes someone w/more patience than I had at 12 to do it well. :)

I know that King George VI did Petit Point needlework and is reputed to have made the seat covers for the Dining Room chairs at York Cottage. Of course when you talk Royal and Needlework, you have to bring up Mary, Queen of Scots. In fact it was my fascination w/Mary when I was in my Tweens that got me doing Needlepoint. I wanted to try something that she had done and has led to many projects being made since then. Mostly Counted Cross Stitch, but I also do Crewel as well and I'm in the planning stage of making a banner w/the House of Tudor Coat of Arms for my room. Which considering who it was that got me into Needlepoint... :D

Does anyone know how or even if there's a way at all for me to find a copy of The Lord of the Rings that Queen Margarethe of Denmark translated *and* also illustrated? I'd love to get one for both my Royalty side of interests and my Ringer side of interest. Thanks in advance!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I like art. The painting looks like it is something someone would have in a journal. One of those private seeming paintings. Of course we would say it's great and how we like it. However paint and pencils are a hard combo to get a look like that. Watercolors too. I like knowing that art like that is possible for them. Stress drains the artist right out of me, as a result I never got the pencil to do as I'd like. I appreciate art because I have a hard time with it. It's a challenge to get what I want out on anything like canvas or even paper, but I can write.

Hobbies, talents, interests and skills of Royals

Hello,

I've noticed that members of many Royal families are avid sports fans and some are into arts (artistic things like music, dance, drawing, etc.), languages, reading etc.

According to the Cour de Grand Ducale (the official website of the Grand Ducale family of Luxembourg) most members of the immediate family are avid sports fans. And many of them are interested in Spanish language.

The Duke of Cambridge & Prince Harry like football (soccer) and rugby. And The Duchess of Cambridge played hockey during her schooldays.

I would like to know about the hobbies, interests, skills and talents of the members of other Royal/Princely/Imperial families ?

Last edited:
King Boris III of Bulgaria loved to drive a train locomotive.
King Louis XVI enjoyed lock making.
Queen Juliana enjoyed playing theatre.

Last edited:
Among the artistic royals there are for example:
- Queen Margrethe II, who is a painter, designer of stage costumes, has designed altar cloths, tapestries, etc.
- Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is a good sculptor
- Queen Sonja is a photographer and also has exhibited some of her work
- The Prince of Wales is known to paint in water colours

In a recent interview with the Hereditary Grand Ducal Couple of Luxembourg, the Hereditary Grand Duchess said she likes History and Arts; and also that she's quite interested to know about the past.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium plays the piano and so does her daughter, The Duchess of Brabant.

In a new video taken on King Philippe's​ 57th birthday (15th April 2017, i.e. today!), his younger daughter, Princess Eleonore is seen playing the violin.

Most of the European Royals seem to be interested in skiing.

I've read somewhere that Prince Antônio of Brazil paints. His son Prince Rafael once said in an interview that he likes to draw and play football (soccer!). I read somewhere that Princess Maria Gabriela, daughter of Prince Antônio and sister of Prince Rafael, is a gifted musician.

Last edited:
All the Begian kids enjoy playing sports like cycling, skiing, sailing and swimming. But some others

The Duchess of Brabant is quite creative. As well as the piano, she draws and takes ballet classes.

https://www.monarchie.be/en/royal-family/princess-elisabeth-duchess-of-brabant

Gabriel plays the piano and is in a hockey club.

Emmanuel plays the flute and enjoys hiking.

Eleanor plays the violin and like her sister, likes to draw.

The Dutch girls all enjoy hockey and horseback riding.

Amalia enjoys singing.

Alexia singing and guitar.

Arianne plays guitar, draws and does jazz ballet.

Lady Louise as well as riding, she is a member of the girl guides.

Last edited:
Somewhere on TRF, I've read that Princess Maria Laura of Belgium loves fashion. Prince Amedeo is into rugby, he and his father, Prince Lorenz took part in New York marathon.

Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg likes playing tennis.

Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume plays the piano and violin/cello.

Prince Felix of Luxembourg likes Martial arts and plays cello.

Prince Louis of Luxembourg took sword fighting lessons.

Prince Sébastien of Luxembourg is a member of a swimming club, he played rugby.

The Jordanians are very athletic.

The king is said to be a huge football fan. He is into motorcycles. He was an avid sky diver but isn't allowed since King.

The crown prince shares an interest in football and motorcycles with dad.

Iman is an equestrian. She also won her schools top student athlete award.

Extended family of the king

Hamzah does Brazilian martial arts as well as shooting, sky diving, , motorcycles and a number of physical activity.

Princess Haya us a former equestrian.

Ali was an accomplished wrestler in school. He also rides.

Last edited:
CP Naruhito plays the viola, and jogs, hikes and mountaineering.

Aiko plays the violin and piano, and seems to enjoy poetry.

Prince akishino is an accomplished tennis player and calligrapher

Princess Kako competed in figure skating

Princess Mako has an interest in art history and has pursued a career

Last edited:
:previous: King Abdullah is into scuba diving and helicopter riding as well. He used to play football (soccer) with his children when they were kids!

Prince Akishino plays the guitar and his daughter, Princess Kako is into figure skating

Last edited:
King Jigme is said to share an interest in basketball, archery and cycling with his brothers.

Queen Jetsun likes to paint. She was captain of the basketball team in school and continues to have an interest. She was also said to be in band in school.

:previous: Queen Jetsun Pema is said to be knowing many languages, which include Bhutanese, English and Hindi.

I remember seeing pictures of The Duke of Cambridge rowing a boat during his days at Eton college along with his friends.

Archduchess Elisabetta is said to have received an upper class honours for her degree in Comparative Literature and Film studies (Which includes French, Italian, English, American Literatures, etc.).

I've read about Princess Alix de Ligne, she is said to interested in dance, playing the piano and horseback riding.

Last edited:
The young Monaco adults are all quite athletic.

Andrea is into riding, skiing, water sports and football.

Piere competes in racing both inshore and car.

Charlotte is a horse jumper.

Alexandra is a figure skater.

Pauline is a champion diver and also did gymnastics.

Louis is a big football fan. He is studying sports management.

Zara is obviously an equestrian. But in school she also competed in hockey, track and gymnastics.

Peter competed in rugby both at Gordonstoun and university.

William did a wide variety in his early days. But at Eton he competed in football and water polo. He played water polo at the university level. He is of course a football supporter. He hunts, plays polo and is into motorcycles.

Harry played rugby and polo in his school days. Like his brother he is still into polo and motor cross.

Beatrice is very active. She often raises money through marathons, triathlons and other physical events.

Eugenies interest is in the arts. Studied art history abd works in the field.

Kate played hockey. She was on a rowing team during their break up.

King Boris III of Bulgaria loved to drive a train locomotive.
King Louis XVI enjoyed lock making.
Queen Juliana enjoyed playing theatre.

Lock making?! Seems interesting ?

Last edited:
Lock making?! Seems interesting ?
Yes, isn't it? But the day and age of Louis XVI, lock making must have been considered as a really advanced art. The mystery of the complicated mechanics must have fascinated him.

Also interesting: King WA of the Netherlands is a pilot, often flying his own jet when visiting abroad. I'm not sure if he is still doing it, but he used to fly regular KLM flights from time to time, so that he would have enough flight hours to keep his pilot license.

Afaik, King Philippe of the Belgians likes flying his helicopter. As does Prince William, as we all know.

Sailing is a very popular sport among the royals: King Konstantin even won an Olympic medal. King Juan Carlos used to be very passionate about sailing, and he passed this passion on to Felipe. CP Frederik of Denmark used to sail in competitions as well, but now he seems to be more into endurance sports.

:previous: you're absolutely right!.

I didn't know that King Philippe flies the helicopter and King Willem-Alexander also flies the plane!

Queen Maxima plays the guitar

Sailing is a very popular sport among the royals: King Konstantin even won an Olympic medal. King Juan Carlos used to be very passionate about sailing, and he passed this passion on to Felipe. CP Frederik of Denmark used to sail in competitions as well, but now he seems to be more into endurance sports.

Sailing is indeed popular. And numerous royals have competed at the Olympic level. And it has become a family thing for some.

The Greeks and Spaniards are perfect example. Constantine and Sofia were both on the gold medal team, though Sofia was reservist. Her husband JC competed in dragon class in 1972 olympics and came in 15th. Cristina competed in the Seoul Olympics and Felipe in 1992 olympics. As we know, the family sails on holidays, grandkids learning.

Also in Norway. Both Harald and his father. Olav won gold medal in Amsterdam. Harald competed in three olympics, Munich, Mexico City and Tokyo. Olav son in law John ferner was also an Olympic sailor and won a silver medal in his day.

There are plenty of royals who have competed in the Olympics in varied sports.

Equestrians
-Anne, her first husband Mark and Zara are all Olympic equestrians
-Nathalie if SWB has competed in three. Now coaches national dressage
-Prince Faisal and Abdullah of Saudi Arabia have competed in two
-princess haya of Jordan competed and went on to Olympic committee
-Sheikha Latifa of Dubai

Shooting
-sheikhs Saeed and Ahmad of Dubai
-sheikh Juma

Others
-Albert of Monaco competed as a bobsledder
-Sheikha Maitha of dubai in martial arts
-Prince Hubertus of Hohenlole-lanenberg competed for Mexico in alpine sports in five Olympics. Was oldest at 51 in 2010

Plenty of royals who have competed professionally but not at Olympic level. One of the daughters of the new king of Thailand competes in badminton.

Last edited:
What about Romanian Royal Family? I've only known that king Mihai and his grandson Nicholas (ex-prince) are interested in cars :)

Back
Top Bottom