LHBTQ+ Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Exactly the same as the Charles and Camilla style of marriage.

I think that Britain wouldn't accept a senior gay royal, but a minor one yes. I agree that the Scandinavian countries would find it easy - but I can't see Spain ever embracing the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
Thats quite true Margrethe II. A severe exposure to particular levels of circulating sex hormones can cause transsexuality as well as homosexuality. I don't think we've had any transsexual royals but there have been a few transsexual peeresses.
I am not 100% sure but I believe I've heard in a history programme that one reigning Swedish Queen, I can't remember if it was Kristina, dressed like a man and wanted to express herself as a man. She was never married, she abdicated and converted to the Catholic church, moved to Rome and became a prominent person around the Pope. Whether she was lesbian, transsexual or just not very sexual at all you can always dispute - but she did pass among men in a time when you wouldn't expect that.

I agree BeatrixFan doll.

I think a minor gay royal in the British royal family would be accepted. For obvious reasons a senior royal who happend to be gay would most likely be more controversial but none the less, jolly 'ol' England's making great progress!

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
I agree BeatrixFan doll.

I think a minor gay royal in the British royal family would be accepted. For obvious reasons a senior royal who happend to be gay would most likely be more controversial but none the less, jolly 'ol' England's making great progress!

"MII"

I think a senior gay royal (as in, monarch/heir) would be a problem in any monarchy, simply because they have to procreate. In my own counrty, The Netherlands, it would not be a problem if one of the younger sons of the queen would have been gay. There were rumours Johan-Friso was (especially in the days he was still attractive, which is hard to imagine now). In the end the palace released a statement by the princce, stating he was not gay. Most people found the statement very odd and some people even insulting.

Marengo said:
IThere were rumours Johan-Friso was (especially in the days he was still attractive, which is hard to imagine now). In the end the palace released a statement by the princce, stating he was not gay. Most people found the statement very odd and some people even insulting.
At least he didn't take out a full page newspaper advertisement to proclaim his straightness, a la Richard Gere some years ago.

Marengo said:
I think a senior gay royal (as in, monarch/heir) would be a problem in any monarchy, simply because they have to procreate. In my own counrty, The Netherlands, it would not be a problem if one of the younger sons of the queen would have been gay. There were rumours Johan-Friso was (especially in the days he was still attractive, which is hard to imagine now). In the end the palace released a statement by the princce, stating he was not gay. Most people found the statement very odd and some people even insulting.

Absolutely!

I wasn't meanning that England is on the way to accepting a gay heir etc, but that their attitude towards gays seems to be progressing in a healthy and more mature manner.

Actually, Prime Minister John Howard has made it publically known that he isn't one for supporting gay rights or unions and that as long as he and his cabinet supporters are in power it shall remain as such.

He believes marriage is the sacred union of only males and females and that gay marriage is an insult to such a union... In other words Adam & Eve and not Adam & Steve (although 'we' know Adam & Steve have more fun ;) :) :D )

Liberal? When it wants to be and thats a very, very rare occassion if ever!

But we are making progress socially so at least thats something!!!

Its seems to be the "in" thing for straight guys to adopt gay qualities (stereotypes such as fashion, grooming, sensitivity)..apparently it gets the girls :rolleyes:

At the end of the day no one does it like a gay man and thats that!!!!

"MII"

Last edited:
For all of you that think that in Spain is not possible to accept a gay prince: I think you forgot that Spain is one of few countries in the world where gay marriage (and adoption) is legal.
And every poll about this issue has been favourable

barakillo said:
For all of you that think that in Spain is not possible to accept a gay prince: I think you forgot that Spain is one of few countries in the world where gay marriage (and adoption) is legal. And every poll about this issue has been favourable
I believe there is a huge difference between what Spanish people are ready to accept from their neighbours, and what they expect from their royal family. I am not Spanish myself, but we have quite a good coverage of Spanish Royal news in France. I remember Eva Sannum was a controversial GF because she had posed for a couple of lingerie ads (quite innocent from what you can see, not Agent Provocateur material). And she burned her last chances to ever marry Felipe when she wore a blue dress with a decollete at Mette-Marit wedding (the dress did not shock anyone in France, but apparently that caused a huge scandal in Spain). And wasn't Letizia criticised (and still is) because of a first not even religious marriage? It seemed strange to me that the country of Almodovar, know for its social liberalism and sexual freedom would demonstrate such prudeness. But then, royalty is judged with double standards, even in Spain, no?
(Also see my post about the Spanish gay duke).

In other words Adam & Eve and not Adam & Steve (although 'we' know Adam & Steve have more fun :D
:D Oh really?

Last edited:
Again, I have deleted a number of posts. Please bear in mind that this is a thread for discussing royalty - not politics or personal sexual preferences.

In addition to that, I would please ask that the members try to avoid insulting each other.

Norwegianne.
Royal Chit Chat moderator.

I think that the problem in Spain with a gay royal would be the Catholic issue. Now I'm a gay Catholic - a very rare breed and I won't go into that too much and bore everyone. But I don't think most can deal with it and shed their faith - for a Spanish Prince that could cause problems.

Marengo said:

Yes, that was very odd, indeed. Why should you release such a statement in a country like the Netherlands? I thought it rather insulting too, like being gay is something to be ashamed of and that it was necessary that the thought of Friso being gay should be banned out of people's heads. Well, that didn't work for me, because when I think of Friso there are always two things that cross my mind: a. He's the one who denied that he was gay (and that was a very very strange statement, imo) and b. He married a bow-obsessed woman with a weird past.

But hey Marengo, when was Friso ever attractive? Can't remember those days, to be quite honest... ;) I always thought Constantijn was the Queen's best looking son. For what it's worth, of course... ;)

In the 80-ties, when he was in his early twenties, Friso was goodlooking actually (very hard to imagine now, corporate life didn't benefit his appearance). Like with any goodlooking prince, the gay-community took a special interest in him (as the swedish gay-community now does with Carl-Philip) and it didn't take long before the rumours started...(without any ground)

Last edited:
As stated previously, this thread should not be used for rumour-mongering along the lines of "I have heard that so-and-so is gay."
Such posts will be (and have been) removed.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

OK Idriel, but do you think that´s only valid for Spain? Don't you think would be the same in Swede or Denmark or some other Scandinavian country?
Do you think Mette Marit is less critized by Norwegian media than Letizia by the Spanish one? I'm not that sure.
And about the Duke.. .Well I have to say that in Spain nobility is much more conservative than Royal Family so I'm not surprised at all.

About the gossip, i hardly dear remind that the Felipe's detractors in Spain said/say that he was/is gay. It was quiet a political opinion and someone who don't like Letizia pretend that the Prince married with her having a gentleman agreement..... ( sic ! ) I don't know now if this rumor is persistant outside garbage foros but in the past this idea was wispread mainly in the high society circles. For me this kind of gossip are always arguments against people for whom we can't say nothing else of unpleasant. To attac the public image of a public personality you hardly he is border line next of moral rules and in Spain this question was it.

I heard the same gossip once (that he was gay and that the higher circles knew about it), Adelaide. But then I don't believe he just played the cards with Eva Sannum, Isabel Satorius etc. So like most of these rumours it is most probably nonsense, based on ill-will or wishfull thinking at best ;)

BeatrixFan said:
How would society take it and how would the reign be affected by the revelation?

I think society would always accept badly if a senior heir declared openly his homossexuality. So if anyone dared to assume it, his job would be greatly difficult, since from this moment there would be huge attempts of proving that this revelation only come as part of a prior and unaceptable mental disease :( ...

And that's because all this image of a Prince and a Princess starts to be drawn since their birth.

We see this cute litle baby and we start to find him/her opposite-sex partners: ex. Leonor of Spain with Christian of Denmark, as much unlikely this relation could be. We imagine the magazine covers... we imagine the wedding - HER wedding dress HIS tears... we imagine how their babies will look. - The continuity!

For second line heirs I don't think that the reaction would be the same. Mentalities are changing and for what I can see I would imagine people seeing (or pretending not to see eheheh;)) with naturality their Prince/Princess having a discrete* homosexual relation.

(* for the open and normal relation there is still a looong way to go)

We all dream of the day when people - royal or not- will be freed from labels... The day when your homosexuality doesn't have to be denied the same way it isn't denied that you arrived to the palace completely drunk and escourted by a not-so-recomendable lady;) ... the day that having gay friends doesn't make you a special person...

With this I am not suggesting that a Royal should go the Balcony kissing his/her gay partner, nor I would suggest it to straight :rolleyes:, but to be able to have them there - I personaly wouldn't mind.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Hmmm... Aren't we being disgustingly liberal here? Yuck!

Margrethe II said:
Ancient Greece, thats the one. Dont know why I said Romans before Greeks. My bad!
Margrethe II said:
Move onto women? yeah right.lol. Never! I dont recall ever hearing how they were "supposed" to move onto women. One makes it sound like moving from an entrée to the main.

In general, classical buffs, "yours truly" included, say that Ancient Greek men had sex with prostitutes and boys for pleasure, and then with their wives for the sake of producing a male offspring.

On the notion of having a gay king or queen: In Denmark, where I live, I do not see this as being a problem. As it has been stated several times, the King would simply reign and die, heirless, and the next in line, probably a younger sibling or nephew/niece, would take over. However, I doubt that any king or queen would ever openly come out of the closet. Not because he or she were ashamed, but because it is not seemingly for royalty to be that open regarding their personal life. He or she would never marry, reign and have homosexual relations in discretion. Obviously, these relations would eventually be known to the public, but probably never officially confirmed. To reign and be discrete are two important abilities for a royal head-of-state to possess:).

/Lasse Pedersen

Danmark being such a gay friendly country though, I believe it would not be such an issue to have an openly gay royal...in regards to a gay sovereign...hmmm, I'm still far from sold on that one but to have an openly gay member of the royal family who holds a senior position, would be, I think more accepted in Danmark than most other countries.

I'm sure the Netherlands would be much the same in nowadays.

And by senior position I mean brother or sister of the Sovereign, or son & daughter of the sovereign who is not the heir to the throne

"MII" :)

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
but to have an openly gay member of the royal family who holds a senior position, would be, I think more accepted in Danmark than most other countries.

I'm sure the Netherlands would be much the same in nowadays.
I think we can add Sweden and Norway to the pool. :)

But Britain, Spain, Belgium? :confused: Not convinced.

Ms Griffin said:
I think we can add Sweden and Norway to the pool. :)

But Britain, Spain, Belgium? :confused: Not convinced.

You know what Ms "G".. I was going to mention Sweden & Norway but wasn't totally sure..thank you :)

Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg & Monaco...not convinced and never will be ;) :D

Jordan..Now that would be one ghastly situation!

"MII"

P.S. I am in no way, shape or form being sarcastic toward those ruling houses associated with the Roman Catholic faith or Islam.

Last edited:
Britain is too prudish about their RF (trust me, I live in England) and about Spain and Belgium, the day they'll accept a gay monarch would be the day the Vatican aproves gay marriage and adoption of children so it'll never happen

Belgium is not that conservative anymore these days. I believe they recently allowed gay couples to adopt children and they have the gay marriage since 2003.

Marengo said:
Belgium is not that conservative anymore these days. I believe they recently allowed gay couples to adopt children and they have the gay marriage since 2003.

So, you think Belgium would openly accept a senior royal who is gay?

"MII"

They would mock him/her, that is for sure. But that would happen anyware. It depends what you mean with senior royal, if that is the heir or the monarch it would be problamatic I guess, as it would be in any monarchy. But a 2nd son/daughter would be acceptable for the general public I think.

Britain is too prudish about their RF (trust me, I live in England)
How so? I've never heard that before. Always nice to see how others think of us.

As 10 % of the world is gay there must be a gay Royal. Do you think a Prince's boyfriend would ever have a role in the family like another royals partner might ? X

For me personally I don't have a problem with gays or lesbians. Especially lesbians. Society in the u.s. treats gays like they are leapors and are about to spread a disease. Its these same prejudices that led to hate and even the second world war.

Back
Top Bottom