LHBTQ+ Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norwegianne said:
Ahem, can we get back to the Royals, please?
I agree even though I was one of the people who got off suject. Sorry about that!

Right, well, I was wondering, Why is it that every time a Prince goes unmarried for a long time (or something like that) people (the press especially) think that their gay? People did that with Prince Albert and Prince Edward. But I just don't see why!

Re:

With Prince Edward the rumour really started because he was an actor and he failed the marines bit and he took a long time get married

It was seen that because he hadn't made it in the Forces, he was a nancy-boy who preferred the theatre. Totally unfair. Doing 'It's a Royal Knockout' didn't help.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
It was seen that because he hadn't made it in the Forces, he was a nancy-boy who preferred the theatre. Totally unfair. Doing 'It's a Royal Knockout' didn't help.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why Prince Albert was thought of as being gay. He was after all in the French Army.

acid_rain3075 said:
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why Prince Albert was thought of as being gay. He was after all in the French Army.
It's because he was shy and sweet and boyish, and unmarried. Therefore he had to be gay. All the usual nonsense.

Same with Edward: "A job in the theatre? That proves he's gay!"
Just more stereotyping.

acid_rain3075 said:
I agree even though I was one of the people who got off suject. Sorry about that!

Right, well, I was wondering, Why is it that every time a Prince goes unmarried for a long time (or something like that) people (the press especially) think that their gay? People did that with Prince Albert and Prince Edward. But I just don't see why!

Royals are not the only ones they do it too. One of my cousins didn't marry until he was in his 40s and he got the same thing.

It´s been rumored for a long time that King Gustav V of sweden was gay, and there was some sort of scandal where the court had payed a man to keep his mouth shut about that he had been the kings lover, I don´t remember all the details sorry...

Idriel said:
...Again, I have to cringe. We are not animals, we are not driven by our hormones or genes only. People get attracted to other people for tons of reasons and a lot of heterosexual men have experimented with other men (same for women). Sexual attraction is more complex than that, IMO.

I don't know...

I always thought that you can like someone as friends without being a homosexual. I have alot of friends that have attractive qualities that I like about them (i.e. loyal, smart, pretty, outgoing, dress nice), but that certainly does not mean that I would want to have sex with them.

I don't know -- maybe I am naive on some points but I think if somebody is sleeping with somebody else the same gender, it's becuase they are gay. But that's just me (not trying to be offensive).:eek:

I admit I am surprised to find this thread in here -- it's very blunt.
But ok:p

Re:

I don't know -- maybe I am naive on some points but I think if somebody is sleeping with somebody else the same gender, it's becuase they are gay

I think you have to be gay to understand it and that isn't me rubbishing the views of you straight people - but for example, I'm a catholic too and so I'd hope to have a better understanding of Catholicism than a hindu and vice-versa.

When I see another man I can think one of two things. Fabulous shoes, shame about the hair and I bet he's a real swine to his wife. Or, I can look at a man and think , Good Heavens - let me change the sheets and we'll indulge in some making of the love kind. There's a clear division between the two. So, I don't think its so much the physical act of sex that makes one gay, but the sexual attraction, a mental longing for the same sex as oppose to the same sex.

But then there are those men who like to jive on both dance floors and I don't understand how that works at all.

There's this theory that the upper classes tend to be gay because of a fierce rebellion from the deeply masculine influences. I heard a woman speaking about Prince Edward once, a sexologist (nice work if you can get it) and she said that he was obviously gay because of the hugely masculine environment. She said, "Let's face it - all the Queen's children are butch except Edward". What she didn't seem to accept was that gay men can be butch too as opposed to camp nancy-boys such as my good self.

Unfortunately, society creates an image of the homosexual community that is (in many ways) unjust and stereotypical. They emphasize the whole "missy", "float like a butterfly", "talk like a Dame" kinda image & this is totally misleading (although there are those who do feel the need to express themselves in that way and rightly so). I myself am not your stereotypical queer. I have a regular guys voice, I have a little facial hair, enjoy a laugh with the "boys" etc. Being brought up in male dominant environment (I am one of four boys), there sense of humour and somewhat masculine ways were sure to rub off. Ones environment definitly influences ones charatcer. I know many gay guyes who are the same.

I still have my ways about me of course. I adore fashion, cologne's, millinery and loooove shopping, I'm very much into styling and skin care products, I LOVE Kylie Minogue (infact im litsening to her right now), I'm quite the dancer (not prime time viewing), I'm very neat, love colour co-ordinating etc etc...

So it just shows that the image society puts out there about gays, is most definitly misleading.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no one set criteria for being gay and this is what I feel the broader society does'nt realise and take into account.

"MII"

Last edited:
I don't know if King Edwad VIII was mentioned. I've read numerous articles that he had not only engaged in relations with married women but also the odd time men. Does anyone have anymore knowledge of this?

Prince Hendrik of The Netherlands (grandfather of Queen Beatrix, spouse of Queen Wilhelmina) was said to like men as well.

What about Prince Philip of Hesse?

He is the one who took all the photos for the September 2003 Vanity Fair issue with all the royals in it and William on the cover.

Smilla said:
Apparently King James was also gay - a fact which was publically known to the extent that somebody came up with the quip:
Rex fuit Elizabeth: nunc est regina Jacobus.
(Elizabeth was King; now James is Queen.)

It's wonderful to know that people lived their lives as they wished before stuffy Victorian moral codes shaped the way we look at history.

I am a hetero Latina but I have gay friends. King James I and IV was gay. It is interesting that the most famous, most beloved Protestant version of the Holy Bible bares his name-and yet Christian preachers can wave it around and call homosexuality sin.

One thing I have been wondering about is if conception by artificial means would be permitted for the British Royal family? I mean in all it's forms-test tube babies, surrogate mothers as long as the egg, and sperm come from the Royal parents etc. The Roman Catholic Church forbids it. It is a 'natural' conception or adoption. That's it.

Edited to add this past summer I read about (I think) an Austrian Empress who was gay and desparately in love with a woman. Her letters survive and they are quite passionate. I'll try to find the link.

Last edited:
Lady Marmalade said:
What about Prince Philip of Hesse?
He is the one who took all the photos for the September 2003 Vanity Fair issue with all the royals in it and William on the cover.
I believe Prince Philip has a long-term girlfriend.

Warren said:
I believe Prince Philip has a long-term girlfriend.

Since when does that mean anything Warren?:D
It was Rock Hudson who married the assistant of his (I don't know, someone who worked for him) just to throw people off. And, even in todays world maybe Philip doesn't want the label of being gay.

Is there a rumor going around that Prince William is gay? I met a couple from England that told me that he might be gay. Is this a rumor that is going around England? A co-worker told me that William came out. I never heard either of these two stories. I assume that they are all rumors. Can anyone inform me if any of these stories are circulating in England? What are the newspapers or magazines saying? All I seem to hear about in the U.S. is about William and Kate moving in together. Thanks!

Jil said:
Is there a rumor going around that Prince William is gay? I met a couple from England that told me that he might be gay. Is this a rumor that is going around England? A co-worker told me that William came out. I never heard either of these two stories. I assume that they are all rumors. Can anyone inform me if any of these stories are circulating in England? What are the newspapers or magazines saying? All I seem to hear about in the U.S. is about William and Kate moving in together. Thanks!

Not directed at you at all Jill, but AS IF!!

However I must confess, I wish ;) :D

"MII"

Layla1971 said:
And, even in todays world maybe Philip doesn't want the label of being gay.
Because maybe he's not?

I warned earlier in this thread about making assumptions for living people. Unless the person themselves has confirmed it, or it is generally known, all else is pure speculation and should not be posted. We are not going to indulge in misdirected "outing".

thanks,
Warren

Warren said:
Because maybe he's not?

I warned earlier in this thread about making assumptions for living people. Unless the person themselves has confirmed it, or it is generally known, all else is pure speculation and should not be posted. We are not going to indulge in misdirected "outing".

thanks,
Warren

Warren, I've never even heardof this guy, so I just remembered a story I'd heard about someone else, not outing anyone!

Jil said:
Is there a rumor going around that Prince William is gay? A co-worker told me that William came out.
This is what I mean.
Might be nearing the time to close this thread.

Warren said:
This is what I mean.
Might be nearing the time to close this thread.

OKAY PEOPLE! Everyone should stop talking about living people! How would YOU like it if people were speaking, in public, about your sexuality? Just because they are famous doesn't give us any right to discuss their sexuality.

We can talk about their lives, marriages, girlfriends, even boyfriends if they do come out, but this talk could be seen as downright cruel by some.

When I was reading these pages, I just told myself: «how intolerant we all are, despite all our claims about being civilised and adult and open-minded»!

Even those of us who claim to be “tolerant” just can’t help making some harmless jokes about the sexuality of these people, who have no more signs of being gay than the fact they might be good-looking, sensitive and single (or even not!!) guys. I’ve heard that kind of comments towards every public man (from politicians, to actors, royals etc.) who happen to be nothing more that… exactly… good-looking and nice and single men.
Is there, by chance, any connection between these two premises? Can’t be any gay who happens to be ugly and rough?

And, on the other hand, what if they were actually gay? Of course in the case of royalty, there’s always the problem of the institution being based on marriage and succession, so it would be a problem indeed. But what about all the other public figures? If they’re gay or not it’s not our business! How would we all feel, if we had to bear those joking comments and they were after all… true?

I don’t really expect an answer to this digression of mine (and I’m sorry if I just went off-topic), but I just think we all should have sometimes the ability to put ourselves in some one else’s shoes, before saying any mean comment…

Expecting any answer or not Elsa, I must agree with you.

I think some people consider themselves tolerant, but then they make horrible jokes, and prove their tolerance isn't something they really or always feel, or it's something they feel compelled to feel, but don't really feel.

I am tolerant, more that tolerant really, I just don't have any bad opinions about gay people, to me they are just people like any one of us, and I've never made any insulting or hurtful jokes in my life, and I can say that with all honesty. My family never raised me to be intolerant, and they (and now I) wouldn't stand any such behaviour or comments.

Here we seem to be judging people on appearances, which seems to be proving us wrong in other areas of life, so why not someone's sexulity too?

I think this topic has proven that we judge people on appearances and gossip rather than who they are, I mean focusing on sexuality is very superficial IMO, even though that comment undermines this entire thread!

If I were gay, I think I'd find it insulting if others thought it harmful or insulting to wonder if another person was gay like me. It seems still that calling someone gay is considered an insult.

I don't like unfounded speculation either but on the other hand, it seems OK to speculate without any clues about who a young man's first girlfriend will be. I can't help but feel a strong double standard.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I had to get that off my chest.

I was not trying to judge or make a bad comment when I asked if there were rumors going around England about Prince William. I was talking to a couple from England about their Royal Family. They bought up this rumor about William. I was just asking them about Camilla and they bought up William. It does not matter to me rather William is gay or not. I just wanted to know if these types of stories were circulating in England. The couple were senior citizens, so I thought it was strange that they would mention such a thing about William. I am sorry if I upset anyone by asking if these stories were circulating. I was not asking if they were true or not. I just found it odd to hear such a thing coming out of the mouths of older Britons. Please forgive if I upset any of you.

Jil said:
I just wanted to know if these types of stories were circulating in England. .

Not to my knowledge!:)

Jil said:
I was not trying to judge or make a bad comment when I asked if there were rumors going around England about Prince William. I was talking to a couple from England about their Royal Family. They bought up this rumor about William. I was just asking them about Camilla and they bought up William. It does not matter to me rather William is gay or not. I just wanted to know if these types of stories were circulating in England. The couple were senior citizens, so I thought it was strange that they would mention such a thing about William. I am sorry if I upset anyone by asking if these stories were circulating. I was not asking if they were true or not. I just found it odd to hear such a thing coming out of the mouths of older Britons. Please forgive if I upset any of you.

Warren just assumed you were 'outing' him! We have to choose our words carefully around here!:rolleyes: :D

The problem is the labels that people adopt. I mean, a past boyfriend of mine was actually straight. Or so he said. The fact that he was 'stepping out' with a chap meant nothing. He often said that for him, it wasn't about a man or a woman but it was about loving someone. The swine dumped me for a woman so draw your own conclusion but as you see, the label 'gay' could have been applied to him (and it was sometimes) but he wasn't. If William has a dalliance with a footman does that make him gay? Or does it make him bisexual? Instead of popping a label on to someone, I think it's more important to look at the relationship. They used to say 'The Duke of Kent is exceedinly bent' in reference to Prince George but in fact, he was bisexual. Or was he?

Layla1971 said:
Warren just assumed you were 'outing' him! We have to choose our words carefully around here!
No, I wasn't concerned with "outing" Prince William because there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he is gay. "Outing" refers to revealing someone as gay before they have chosen to publicly reveal the fact themselves.

I was exasperated, however, with this sort of rubbishy gossip being posted in this thread. We could go through a list of every single good-looking (or otherwise) prince in Europe and say "someone told me he is gay." What would be the point? There was no intention for this thread to become a "who is? who isn't?" or vehicle to air unfounded rumour and gossip.

W

I really thought this discussion was about who, in the past, was gay and how it affected or influenced their jobs. But, it really hasn't been about that at all!

Back
Top Bottom