LHBTQ+ Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do we know about
Ernst of Hesse
Grand Duke Sergei of Russia
any truth their ive even heard a rumor about the current Duke of York

Lady Marmalade said:
Unless he proclaims it himself, it is not in the best interest to speculate. If he is gay friendly, then more power to him. There are many men comfortable in their sexuality to pose on the cover of gay magazines and I think that is wonderful. It does not mean one is gay or not gay. It can show that anyone's sexuality is acceptable, which is a great way to go.

Indeed lady M,

I know many gay friendly guys, and some are very good friends of mine. If he is or if he is'nt, who cares. As long as his comfortable with being who he is thats all that matters.

"MII"

Royal Fan said:
What do we know about
Ernst of Hesse
Yes
Yes
This is ridiculous

See...one is mentioned as a possibility and then everyone is drawn in the fold...Prince Andrew is not gay...

Royal Fan said:
:D :D So what do he do with all those ladies who go in and out his home? Do they spend the night discussing the latest fashion week?
A complicated case this one. He was asexual actually. He did not have any lover (male or female) that I ever heard of and did never touch his wife (the stunningly beautiful Grand Princess Ella). Whether he was a tortured homosexual or simply was repulsed by sex, this is debatable.
Personally, I think he was gay but because of his bigotry, felt extremely guilty about it and shun all sexual desires.

Idriel said:
:D :D So what do he do with all those ladies who go in and out his home? Do they spend the night discussing the latest fashion week? A complicated case this one. He was asexual actually. He did not have any lover (male or female) that I ever heard of and did never touch his wife (the stunningly beautiful Grand Princess Ella). Whether he was a tortured homosexual or simply was repulsed by sex, this is debatable.
Personally, I think he was gay but because of his bigotry, felt extremely guilty about it and shun all sexual desires.

I read a biography on Sergei's wife Ella and the book basically said that Ella waited for her wedding night that never came. He never mistreated her but he certainly never touched her. It also spoke of some cruelty that Sergei endured from family members as a child and how Ella had managed to reach out to him in a tender moment at a very young age. This seems to be one of the reasons why he asked for her hand in marraige. There were several attempts on his part throughout the marraige where he was looking for something emotional from her but never anything sexual. I think he had a challenging emotional upbrining, the impression that I recieved was that he was never very loved by his immediate family. Poor Ella, she was deceived. She came into the marraige believing that she would love and be loved, eventually have her own family and children but none of that came to pass. In this day and age you could get an anullment on those grounds but back then I guess that would have been scandolous. After he died Ella became a nun so she may have never had sexual relations.

Now this is one risky and slanderous thread. And to think I got a post removed for being too crude on Camilla. :rolleyes:

Queen Christina of Sweeden was known to be a cross dresser and had a taste for Females if I remember correctly

She ate them? :p

I think gayness is a word that does not carry back with the same effect prior to gay rights in the 60's. In olden times men and women would get together and moved on with their other lives as husbands or wives. I remember reading that the Sultan of the Ottomans, Suleiman used to have his partner around always and that did not prevent him from reproducing with the Harem.

And in this century, the ambiguity in taste was normal before the Mae West scandals that prompted censorship and were the basis for the 1950's extremes of the McCarthy era. It was common knowledge that Garbo liked men and women, that her main rival was Dietrich who competed with her for the same women, and so on.

So, there were not exactly gay by today's standards and labels, just people who loved a varied menu.

Last edited:
lashinka2002 said:
In this day and age you could get an anullment on those grounds but back then I guess that would have been scandolous. After he died Ella became a nun so she may have never had sexual relations.

It didn't stop Ducky from divorcing Ernst-Ludwig of Hessen-Darmtadt (although they had intercourse, he still was gay).

What about present day royalty? Isn't one of Alexander of Yougoslavia and Maria-Pia (who is now married to Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma) sons gay, the one who is a jeweller? But these rumours stay rumours of course, an Austrian Archduke (brother of Sophie of Windisch-Graetz and grandson of Helena of Toerring-Jettenbach, sister of Marina of Kent and Olga of Greece) was supposed to be gay but recently married an Iraqi woman. It is interesting to note how the 3 greek sisters all 'produced' one or more (supposedly) gay grandson(s), with the gene theory etc.

Marengo said:
Isn't one of Alexander of Yougoslavia and Maria-Pia (who is now married to Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma) sons' gay?
So it's said.

As a general note to this thread, the "gayness" or otherwise of historical figures has been established either through what was known at the time, or through later research into private correspondence.

In regard to current Royal figures, no-one has been "outed" who hasn't already "outed" themselves.

Speculation and gossip has been noted as such.

Warren
Royal Forums superModerator

Last edited:
Toledo said:
She ate them? :p

I think gayness is a word that does not carry back with the same effect prior to gay rights in the 60's. In olden times men and women would get together and moved on with their other lives as husbands or wives.

So, there were not exactly gay by today's standards and labels, just people who loved a varied menu.

That's a great way of putting it! :)
I think that's one of the good points of this thread, that we are forced to rethink our standards a bit - what wasn't acceptable in the 1950s was readily tolerated some centuries earlier. What's regarded as "moral" behaviour changes - but then I suppose most people who post on this thread are aware of this.

Idriel said:
A complicated case this one. He was asexual actually. He did not have any lover (male or female) that I ever heard of and did never touch his wife (the stunningly beautiful Grand Princess Ella). Whether he was a tortured homosexual or simply was repulsed by sex, this is debatable.
Yes, it was common for homosexual people then. However, Grand Duke Sergey probably had several same-sex liaisons with young Army officers; such things were rumoured back then in Moscow.

Marengo said:
It didn't stop Ducky from divorcing Ernst-Ludwig of Hessen-Darmtadt (although they had intercourse, he still was gay).

What about present day royalty? Isn't one of Alexander of Yougoslavia and Maria-Pia (who is now married to Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma) sons gay, the one who is a jeweller? But these rumours stay rumours of course, an Austrian Archduke (brother of Sophie of Windisch-Graetz and grandson of Helena of Toerring-Jettenbach, sister of Marina of Kent and Olga of Greece) was supposed to be gay but recently married an Iraqi woman. It is interesting to note how the 3 greek sisters all 'produced' one or more (supposedly) gay grandson(s), with the gene theory etc.

Right, but Ducky had to divorce wheras Ella would have probably been able to obtain an anullment because the marraige was not consumated and for other reasons etc...
Ducky caught Ernst in the act whereas Ella was virtually ignorant of Sergei's sexual orientation. This played a very large role in Ducky's decision to divorce. These were two very different women of character, Ella was a very quiet devout and religious woman and Ducky was more liberal for the times.
Following Ducky's divorce and subsequent marraige the 2 suffered from scandal were shunned socially, the actually had to leave Russia at the Tsar's request, this is why they survived the revolution....

Grand Duchess Olga Alexandovna (Tsar Nicholas' sister) married Prince Peter of Oldenburg. He was a known gambler and was "not interested in the ladies" They were married for 15 years and never had any sexual relations. Prince Peter only wanted to be married to the Tsar's sister. She eventually met Captain Kulikovsky and the 2 became lovers. Prince Peter knew but didn't care so long as nobody else found out. Olga eventually anulled her marraige with Prince Peter saying that the marraige was never consumated. She married her Captain in 1916. They had 2 children.

Marengo, your gene theroy is interesting. I always thought it was something to do with the hormones, I don't know if that can be genetic...

Last edited:
lashinka2002 said:
Right, but Ducky had to divorce wheras Ella would have probably been able to obtain an anullment because the marraige was not consumated and for other reasons etc...
Ducky caught Ernst in the act whereas Ella was virtually ignorant of Sergei's sexual orientation. This played a very large role in Ducky's decision to divorce. These were two very different women of character, Ella was a very quiet devout and religious woman and Ducky was more liberal for the times.
Following Ducky's divorce and subsequent marraige the 2 suffered from scandal were shunned socially, the actually had to leave Russia at the Tsar's request, this is why they survived the revolution....
Ella was very deeply in love with Sergei. I think that's the only reason why she never left him. Also, she still had hope things would improve. You know how we are we woman, always believing we can change our men...:p . I'm not totally sure about the 'never mistreated her' part in your previous post. He was certainly a very cruel men (just see how he treated Jews), and ice-cool blooded. I have read that he would exercise some kind of mental torture on his wife, or something approaching. Still she was miserable when he died.
About Ducky, it was actually her husband's father who caught his son. AFAIK, only him was ostracized after that because of how cowardly he tried to blame things on his wife during the trial that ensued.
Marengo, your gene theroy is interesting. I always thought it was something to do with the hormones, I don't know if that can be genetic...
Again, I have to cringe. We are not animals, we are not driven by our hormones or genes only. People get attracted to other people for tons of reasons and a lot of heterosexual men have experimented with other men (same for women). Sexual attraction is more complex than that, IMO.

Idriel said:
Ella was very deeply in love with Sergei. I think that's the only reason why she never left him. Also, she still had hope things would improve. You know how we are we woman, always believing we can change our men...:p . I'm not totally sure about the 'never mistreated her' part in your previous post. He was certainly a very cruel men (just see how he treated Jews), and ice-cool blooded. I have read that he would exercise some kind of mental torture on his wife, or something approaching. Still she was miserable when he died.
About Ducky, it was actually her husband's father who caught his son. AFAIK, only him was ostracized after that because of how cowardly he tried to blame things on his wife during the trial that ensued.Again, I have to cringe. We are not animals, we are not driven by our hormones or genes only. People get attracted to other people for tons of reasons and a lot of heterosexual men have experimented with other men (same for women). Sexual attraction is more complex than that, IMO.

Interesting about Sergei and the cruelty towards Ella. From the book that I read (Alexandra & Elizabetha) it mentioned that he was a hard man that had to make hard decisions & that Ella may have experienced hurt and sorrow from his the lack of love and affection, but then of course who really knows. Ella was also very religious and divorce was completely out of the question for her. Funny in the biography that I read she wasn't at all prepared to marry Sergei and only accepted because that is what her family wanted. There was no love at first sight only a hope that love would eventually grow. You've given me some new interesting information.

About the genes, of course there are many other factors as to why people are attracted to one another no matter what the sex. I was talking about individuals who would only consider same sex partners and are repulsed by the thought of an opposite sex partner, I had thought that may be driven hormonally but I am not a doctor so I do not know and won't comment further since I'm sure this may turn into a sensitive topic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Persoanlly, I think the two most contributing factors to Homosexuality are gene & hormonal elements (which are obviously interelated anyway).

And, I myself could never imagine sleeping with a women.

"MII"

New Location!

Since this thread has expanded in scope to cover a whole range of Royals (and other areas!), I have moved it out of the British Forums and into "Royal Chit Chat".

I have also renamed the thread Gay Royalty.

Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

My!

We have progressed have'nt we? We even have our own thread dedicated to gay royalty in general. How the times are 'a' changing ;) :p

"MII"

Re:

I think a major problem is that we're sex obssessed. You don't have to have sex to make you of a certain sexuality. For example, Kenneth Williams was celibate but he had a deep attraction to men and was homosexual.

BeatrixFan said:
I think a major problem is that we're sex obssessed. You don't have to have sex to make you of a certain sexuality. For example, Kenneth Williams was celibate but he had a deep attraction to men and was homosexual.

It's also that what we interpret as sex-related has changed - in the 18th century, emotionally kissing a same-sex friend was not necessarily regarded as a sex-related act, but just as a very emotional expression of affection.

Margrethe II said:
My!
We have progressed have'nt we? We even have our own thread dedicated to gay royalty in general. How the times are 'a' changing ;) :p "MII"
Yes, we are very progressive here at TRF, catering to all tastes and interests, with an occasional dash of discretion thrown in for good measure.

W

windsor the troll said:
If I'm not mistaken, there was a recent hate campaign against the Swedish Royals.
The King was accused of being homosexual as was his immediate family. It was the work of a hugely homophobic site connected to some extreme church.

I linked to the site out of interest and it was vulgar. Its hopefully the last time I will come across such an ill minded site.

Terrible. Must have been some fools writing this....It´s so completely ridiculous.

violante said:
Terrible. Must have been some fools writing this....It´s so completely ridiculous.

it was an american vicar who hates sweden for some strange reason. I think he even has a website stating how nice it was that so many swedish people died in the tsunami and how that was Gods punishment for them being gay. It is utterly discusting and I do not understand why the americans don't do anything about it, like sending him to a mental institution.

What an interesting thread.:)
I have gay friends, 'straight' friends and some I don't know and have never asked their preference but, we all agree that the UK, at the moment would not accept William if he was openly gay.
This country is finding it hard to accept gay men and women at all, if you think about it, they are struggling to accept the idea of 2 divorcees on the throne.

Marengo said:
it was an american vicar who hates sweden for some strange reason. I think he even has a website stating how nice it was that so many swedish people died in the tsunami and how that was Gods punishment for them being gay. It is utterly discusting and I do not understand why the americans don't do anything about it, like sending him to a mental institution.

I know who you are talking about and the man is not popular in our country. But we do not send a person to a mental institution unless they are proved to be certifiably insane by doctors.

Freedom of speech in the United States has a broad spectrum of definition and even the most ignorant people like him have their say just like the rest of us.

Since the Church of England has long been associated with British Royalty, it might be a problem there. Other countries, probably not so much of a problem. Let's face it, royals have been and done many things lately, that were formerly unthinkable, that most people wouldn't even care.

Back
Top Bottom