LHBTQ+ Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taking the question a step further, has there ever been aroyal who's transgendered?

I am Openly Bisexual and I am quite open to the idea of a LGBT Monarch. I am a Monarchist at heart and I think that so long as all the bases are covered (with regard to a proper/functioning succession), then there should be no problem with an LGBT Monarch. Plus, within the LGBT community one's sexual orientation is not a defining factor. It happens to be percieved as such by mainstream society thus causing the misconception. I honestly do not think that a person being LGBT would impair his/her ability to reign and/or rule as they are charged with the duty of maintaining a sense of propriety so as to set a model for decorous behaviour and also, one would gather that it would be required of a Monarch to known the difference between personal matters (such as acceptable sexual behaviour and conduct), and matters which take precedence (such as official matters, duties and matters of state).

I just thought that I would share, in light of all the hype about an LGBT Monarch that would reign. Maybe this will spark a whol other thread post and conversation. I think that it would be interesting.

About two years ago I had been informed by a close friend of mine that there indeed is a mounting LGBT Monarchic movement. At first I thought that it sounded rather strange but then I looked into it with her and together we conclude (as a matter of personal opinion and belief), this is quite good. Apparently there is a non-active government which takes the form of a self-proclaimed constitutional imperial monarchy for the greater LGBT community. It looks like they have been pulling things together rather nicely and I have heard from a friend of mine in London that they are on the verge of gaining international recognition from heads of reigning houses and the such which obviously would solidify their validity. They call themselves the LGBT Imperial Monarchy and they do have a reigning monarch which acts as fons honorum. I think that you can just google the 'monarch's' name (HIM Damien I / Damien de Caracoza), and find their social/support pages online and website.

I am in support of what they stand for although I have not personally contacted the official offices for further information. I just thought that this would make for an interesting topic and also am curious to hear what anyone else might think.

Thanks!

I don't know that he is particulary out but as someone who seems to know him quite well is discussing it on a public forum I feel that it is ok to mention it here.

Board Message

Fearghas,

Were to responding to my post? I am uncertain hun, can you please specify? Thanks.

If not, who are you talking about?

I have learned over the years to not assume someone's sexuality. Prince Edward ended up married with kids and Prince Albert ended up having kids already.

Fearghas,

Were to responding to my post? I am uncertain hun, can you please specify? Thanks.

If not, who are you talking about?
I'm not sure if the link works as you may have to be a member of the board to access it. I was talking about Duke Franz of Bavaria.

Last edited:
They say that 1 in 10 people are gay. If that's true, and we made a list of all the current royals in the world (which would be a big list), there's a 99.9% chance that at least A FEW of them are gay. So hopefully one day they'll not care what anyone thinks and come out.;)

They say that 1 in 10 people are gay. If that's true, and we made a list of all the current royals in the world (which would be a big list), there's a 99.9% chance that at least A FEW of them are gay. So hopefully one day they'll not care what anyone thinks and come out.;)
That too is what I hope.
I keep hoping that an attractive young Prince would come out as gay so that I can sigh over him without worrying that he is in fact straight.:D

That too is what I hope.
I keep hoping that an attractive young Prince would come out as gay so that I can sigh over him without worrying that he is in fact straight.:D

You never know what the future will hold.;):D

:ermm: And so they should come out instead of pretending to be someone they're not and leading women on. Scoundrels! I dated a man who turned out to be a closet homosexual. Naturally I was upset. The thing that annoyed me most was that he would tell me how very much he loved me had the cheek to hint at marriage. Where would I be if I'd married him? If someone is gay they should say so or at least not lead women on. This includes royalty.:)

Some people are bi-sexual. Perhaps, he did love you. I am writing this as a heterosexual. It is sad when people are condemned, without any further investigation. Gay people are people, too.

Some people are bi-sexual. Perhaps, he did love you. I am writing this as a heterosexual. It is sad when people are condemned, without any further investigation. Gay people are people, too.

Excuse me but where did I condemn gay people and what do you mean by "without any further investigation".

Beatrix
This quote is from your original post.
Prince George, Duke of Kent was well known for his relationship with Noel Coward and there have been many gay Kings over the past.

It is interesting that you would cite Prince George, Duke of Kent. He had a number of gay relationships, but he still had a beautiful wife and three children. For the last six years of his life, he was the third highest adult in line to the throne. Since it was the war, there was some concern that a bomb might actually knock out several people in the line of succession at once. There are some conspiracy theorist that feel his death was not accidental; especially given the numerous mysterious circumstances surrounding the plane accident.

Interestingly enough his sister in law, the Queen Mother, maintained a relationship with Noel Coward for the rest of his life. Supposedly she was very tolerant of homosexual men, keeping several in her employ.

Although people get upset with me for saying this, it has always seemed that British society has been much more tolerant of gay men in the arts and in high society for a long time; much more than American society. I mean John Gielgud was caught soliciting gay sex in public restrooms in the 1950's, shortly after he was knighted. He got a standing ovation as a show of support when he returned to the theater. At the same time Liberace was suing newspapers in the USA for calling him fruity.

That said, it is still a long way from accepting gay artists or local politicians to accepting a gay head of state. I realize that Iceland has a gay head of state, but it is a very small community. I also think there is less resistance to gay women as gay men. I am afraid that if William declared himself to be gay, that there would be strong requests for him to abdicate in favor of his brother. I think he would still have a dukedome, but I don't think he could be accepted as head of state.

:ermm: And so they should come out instead of pretending to be someone they're not and leading women on. Scoundrels! I dated a man who turned out to be a closet homosexual. Naturally I was upset. The thing that annoyed me most was that he would tell me how very much he loved me had the cheek to hint at marriage. Where would I be if I'd married him? If someone is gay they should say so or at least not lead women on. This includes royalty.:)

Looking back on the relationship, can you think of ANY clues that might have made you think it was possible he was gay? And how did you find out?

But yes, if someone's gay, they should not lead others on (including royalty). It will be interesting when the day comes that a royal actually comes out as gay, and there HAS to be at least a few royals that are gay.

Actually, if William were to come out as Gay, I dont think there would be a big problem. Succession and "church" wise, there would be some difficulties. I mean it would be a bigger controversy for William to renounce his position because he was gay. There would be cries of discrimination all the way up to the higher courts and I dont think the brits would want to be viewed as an intolerant nation. It would be "shocking" but nothing more.

I agree with Princejohnny25 that announcing by William that he is a gay would change anything in his position. Young generation would not care, some might be even cheering William for coming forward. Older folks maybe would be openly unhappy.
I don't think that William would be allowed to have same sex marriage. I don't think we may see it happening in the nearest future in European monarchies, unless it would be someone far in long line to the throne. But if say William comes and openly he is a gay, it will not affect a succession that much, simply Harry's kids would be in line to the throne.

Gay Monarchs Consorts Title

Ok so I'm NOT trying to start a political debate at all but I'm Curious so heres my question.

HRH The Crown Prince of X comes out publicly as Homosexual theres no big scandal and hes accepted by the people of his country, there are no calls for him to step down as crown prince. A couple of years later he falls in love and gets married to John who is known after the marriage as HRH The Prince John of X. when the HRH The Crown Prince of X ascends the throne as HM The King of X what title do you think The Prince John of X would get? HRH The Prince Consort of X? HM John The King Consort of X? or just The Prince John of X.

now bare in mind we have to assume that gay marriage is legal in this hypothetical country. i thank all of you in advance who respond and appreciate your input. again be respectful to each other this is not a politcal debate im just looking for productive and helpful replys thanks again so much

I am just amused. I cannot imagine it. Most monarchs are heads of their chuches, or in some way connected to them. I am sure their is gay royalty. I doubt that any have, at this point declare a same sex partner. I have no idea what you might call them.

I'm realy not sure whether the civil partner of a royal prince or princess would be legally entitled to a title because I know of no precendence or custom for this. As far as I know, most civil parters retain their own surnames unless they want to change it but this must be done by deed-pole. It is the custom for a woman to take on her husband's title/surname on marriage (and on rare occassions I have known women to retain their original surname and even the husband to change his surname to his wife's - by deed-pole I assume....when a woman marrued a man I assume her surname changes automatically?). The whole idea of a legally binding civil partnership is such a new one that customs associated with it have not developed sufficiently enough for it to be assumed that the civil partner of a royal is entitled to a title or become a prince. It's very confusing because of Prince William marries Kate, she will become Princess William of Wales. If he married "John Smith", I really cannot imagine the chap would become Prince John of Wales. Much less if William is Prince of Wales at the time of his marriage would "John" be Prince of Wales too! I suspect "John" would be offered an Earldom in much the same way as Princess Margaret's husband was given the Snowdon title. As for William being King at the time of his civil partnership, I wonder if "John" could be known as the prince consort?! Having thought about it more, I just think John Smith would remain simply as Mr John Smith as there is no custom in place to alter the title he already has.

I guess Prince William is in this thread just used in a hypothetical example...

Wasn't it rumored that ex King Umberto II of Italy was bi-sexual?

And I read somewhere it was an open secret about King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria being bi-sexual?

Why HRH Prince William in this thread ??

Prince William is mentioned at the start of the thread and I used him as an example because he is not married yet and also because of the hypothetical problem concerning titles for royal spouses - I'm a little more familiar with British titles customs than I am of other countries'.

Wasn't it rumored that ex King Umberto II of Italy was bi-sexual?

This rumour started in the 1930s, when the OVRA, the fascist secret police, collected several files about the members of the Italian Royal Family, in order to discredit them - Mussolini was against the monarchy, and wanted to get rid of it.
Files were collected about the then Prince Umberto, Prince Philipp of Hesse (Umberto's brother in law), Prince Adalberto of Savoy, and all them were said to be homosexual.
In Umberto's case, the rumours increased because among his friends was the homosexual cinema director Luchino Visconti, and because after the separation from Queen Maria José in 1947 he rarely (or never) hung out with women.
This rumour was used against him during the electoral campaign in 1946, when a republican politician during a speech asked to the people "Do you want a pederast King perhaps?"

Btw, probably (I'm quite sure) it was only a rumour, set about only with political and diffamatory aims.

Though the topic is interesting, I would like to discuss not a hypotethical thing, but somthing that is 100% sure.
This week I found out that one of the younger royal generation is actually having only male gay friends on his facebook profile, while actually only looking for his photo to add to a family tree. So my question is: of WHOM Do we actually know that he or she was gay/lesbian among the royals and nobility.
For example we had the famous case some years ago of Young Lord (jonkheer) Floris Michiels van Kessenich who was openly gay and died of aids (1957-1991).
As far as I know in England about only one member of the royal family is every historian 100% sure that he was gay, namely Prince Albert Victor (1864-1892), he let himself be photographed with his gay-friends of which recently one photo was donated to the NPG

I think 'to know' is a tricky definition. As far as I know there are very few royals who are openly gay at the moment. That does not mean that they are not, but it means that there has never been an official statement about it and they behave in a discreet way. There are of course always rumors about prince X or princess Y to be gay, but most of such rumors are based on hearsay and on unverifiable testimonies of people.

The only one who comes up in my mind now is a nephew of the Aga Kahn, Andrew Embiricos,who created some sort of scandal in 2007 by appearing in an adult amateur gay video. Though he is not royal, strictly speaking: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2007/04/17/2007-04-17_a_young_socialite_gives_xtra_effort.html

Last edited:
I don't think there was ever proof that Prince Albert Victor was 100% gay but he was associated with a gay sex scandal prior to his death. But no information was ever provided (as if it would) that he did participate in the actual scandal.

And how does taking pictures with gay friends make you gay? It just means you are taking pictures with people who might or might not be gay.

Back
Top Bottom