English Speaking Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"It tells a lot about the failures of the BR education system and the British attitude towards the rest of the world. :mad:"

Very true, but then we've always been more interested in making others adopt our way of thinking as opposed to theirs.

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Of course she does, she studied at Yale in US (I may be wrong).
Didn't Victoria study at Stanford or Berkley? it has to be one of those instead of Yale!

pinklady1991 said:
Still, I think the British linguistic abilities are heads and shoulders above most Americans. I think the British and American failure to understand the need to be at least bi-lingual has much to do not only with a common history but also with relative geographic isolation. Continental Europeans have much more of a need to speak more than one language and their education starts early. Bravo for them.

When most people immigrated to the United States during the 19th & 20th centuries, they were forced to speak English (or at least their children were). I know that my grandparents isolated themselves in an Italian immigrant neighborhood and as a result my father and his siblings grew up in an Italian speaking world until they went to school (and it was a sink or swim situation) and then served as my grandparents' translators. My grandparents spoke limited English -- most of which they learned from their children, radio, and later television. My generation wasn't raised to be bi-lingual because there was a sense of shame that was attached to speaking Italian: it marked you as not "American." And all they wanted to be was "American." I feel like I missed out on something special -- a way of preserving my heritage. :(

Of course, I learned Italian in school by choice but I learned Florentinian Italian in high school & college (along with French, and a couple of semesters of German) which really doesn't resemble the Naples dialect my grandparents spoke. My grandmother used to tell me I spoke like a princess when I called her; she could understand me but often I couldn't understand her. Now it's chic to be a hypenated-American... How things change.

Thank you for sharing this with me. :) I really appreciate learning about the history of immigration where people from around the world had settled down in an English speaking country.

It's a shame that you feel you have not done more to preserve your heritage, but don't give up, I am sure you have the solid grounding and time to perfect your Italian. ;)

I read that Princess Alexandra speaks English, Danish, German and French.

Little_star said:
"I think Rania studied at the American University at Cairo and I think their teaching lanugage is English. :)"

She did but her accent is flawless.

one of my classmates at university was from Egypt and she attended the American university in Cairo before she moved to Canada, she had absolutely no accent either!
She said that a lot of their profs are American so that probably accounts for the lack of accent too.

King Abdullah and Queen Rania's kids also speak English along with Arabic. They have english speaking nannies and go to English schools.
Infact English is almost like a second first-language to the members of the Jordanian royal family which is not surprising since a lot of them have been educated in the UK and US.

Last edited:
(In response to two previous posts of others) - Yes, Victoria went to Yale. It was during her battle with eating disorders and her family decided it was a good idea for her to get away for a while.

With regards to Crown Prince Philpe of Belgium's English - it's TERRIBLE. I heard him speaking at an engagement while he and CP Mathilde visited Stanford. I felt sorry for the man, but it was awful. He said a grand total of 5 words per minute because he was so focused on the English, but the speech was right there in front of him. It was what I'd call a "train wreck" if I ever saw one.

I watched the Discovery programe on the Danish Family too. But to my ears Prince Frederik and his brother Joakim had poor english Their were words coming out of Fred's mouth I could not even make out:( . Prince Haakon was much much more fluent nicer voice too and Q M and even the older people spoke better.
Wittykitty

I saw a video of Frederik & Mary's wedding and Frederik spoke the English portion of his speech very well. It was almost flawless, but there was a definite hint of an accent. Queen Margrethe also spoke English very well in the English portion of her speech. She has more of an British accent when she speaks English, and I can see because of a post I read above stating she attened boarding school in England.

I believe that Prince William does know a little Spanish from when he was in South America during his "gap year". I think he was in Chile if I'm not mistaking. As for Queen Elizabeth she speaks fluent French especially when she visits Canada.

Liechtenstein: Princess Marie-Aglae - English (learn in London), French (learn in Paris), German. Probably the others speaks German, English maybe French.

Luxembourg: I don't know how the youngers but childrens of former GD Jean speaks - Luxembourgian, French, English and German.

Queen Sophia of Spain speaks greek, spanish, english and german as she studied 4 years in Germany and her mother, queen Frederika of Greece was also german, but she doesn't speaks french though she is able to read it.

Saturn said:
Queen Sophia of Spain speaks greek, spanish (with a foreign accent), english (as she lived in South Africa during II WW), and german as she studied 4 years in Germany and her mother, queen Frederika of Greece was also german, but she doesn't speak french though she is able to read it.

by the way, excuse my limited english as I'm spanish.

Queen Silvia learned sign langauage sometime in the 80´s, but I´m not sure if she still knows it. Its very easy to forget as its a language that most people dont see frequently, unlike for example english.

kerry said:
The Swedish Royals are all fluent in English since they have all studied in England and/or the U.S. I believe that CP Victoria also speaks French.

Victoria: Swedish, English, French & German (I think).

Whilst working in a shop in kensington i was serving princess michael and asked an assistant in czech to fetch another size from the back store room and HRH said good morning (dobry den) so maybe a little czech as well.

Saturn said:
Queen Sophia of Spain speaks greek, spanish, english and german as she studied 4 years in Germany and her mother, queen Frederika of Greece was also german, but she doesn't speaks french though she is able to read it.
Queen Sofia speaks 6 languages: spanish, greek, english, german, french and italian!

...JuAnItA... said:
Queen Sofia speaks 6 languages: spanish, greek, english, german, french and italian!

No wonder why her children are so cultured, with a mother like that, who wouldn't?:D

crisiñaki said:
No wonder why her children are so cultured, with a mother like that, who wouldn't?:D
That's right!!
They aren't like their father but the king is cultured, even if he don't speak so much languages like the Queen! :D

...JuAnItA... said:

Well I must say I'm a french teacher, and the Queen is not fluent in french at all though she is able to read it. I don't know if she speaks italian but I have never heard her speaking that language.

Saturn said:
Well I must say I'm a french teacher, and the Queen is not fluent in french at all though she is able to read it. I don't know if she speaks italian but I have never heard her speaking that language.
Me neither...
Maybe you're right but i think that even if she isn't a fluent in french she can speak it (and i heard her once and it sounds me good... but you must know more about this than me because i'm learning french!)... and it's very good speak 6 languagues! Even being fluent or not!

...JuAnItA... said:
That's right!!
They aren't like their father but the king is cultured, even if he don't speak so much languages like the Queen! :D

The Spanish Kings set an excellent example to all their kids, you have to look at Elena, Cristina and Felipe's education, they all went to university and even managed to get master's degrees with really good GPA...

Also I believe they have had the chance to practice and perfect their foreign languages working and living outside Spain (Cristina was at the UN in New York and the UNESCO in Paris, Elena went to Exeter, UK to complement her teaching degree and Felipe lived in Canada and went to Georgetown).

The fact that their family has lived in exile at one time has also shaped their languages knowledge: their father was born in Italy, lived in Portugal; their mother was born in Greece, lived in South Africa and Germany so I believe they started teaching their children languages since they were very young

crisiñaki said:
The Spanish Kings set an excellent example to all their kids, you have to look at Elena, Cristina and Felipe's education, they all went to university and even managed to get master's degrees with really good GPA...

Also I believe they have had the chance to practice and perfect their foreign languages working and living outside Spain (Cristina was at the UN in New York and the UNESCO in Paris, Elena went to Exeter, UK to complement her teaching degree and Felipe lived in Canada and went to Georgetown).

The fact that their family has lived in exile at one time has also shaped their languages knowledge: their father was born in Italy, lived in Portugal; their mother was born in Greece, lived in South Africa and Germany so I believe they started teaching their children languages since they were very young
Of course!
But i think that the King speaks spanish, english, french, portuguese and italian.. that's 5 languages and the Queen speaks 6... but i'm not sure about how many languages the King speaks!
But, even like that, i never put the education of their children in question because they have an excellent education!
But the fact is that the Queen speaks more languages that the King... ;)

Does anyone know if Queen Silvia's portuguese is still fluent?

I have heard that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip both speak French- fluently, and that they sometimes speak it together when they are in public so there is less chance of them being overheard than if they are speaking in English.
Queen Margrethe said when her parents met her husband they spoke a mixture of French and English because she said her mother spoke French very well, but her father was more comfortable speaking English :)

Didn't some royal I can't remember who, teach English?

When there is a big royal event like a marriage or a royal birthday, in which language is there spoken? Do they all speak English, or the language of the country the event happens or their own language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom