Retrospective of the Dutch Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marengo, I don't think that you need to read the book on the Countess - you seem to know much about her already.;) Thanks again for the wealth of information that you always provide.

BTW, I didn't realize that Renee Roell is still a good friend of Beatrix's. Their friendship goes way back ...

Here is a 1940 picture of Renee (on the very right) & Beatrix (standing up) along with Bernhard, Juliana & Irene.

Does Renee live in Canada or the Netherlands?

Photo: from the book "When Canada was home"

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 463
I think Renee is still one of the best friends of the Queen. When Prince Claus was burried she was seated on the most prominent seat in the section of friends, facing the Queen of Denmark. I believe she still lives in Canada, and her husband is a canadian but I am not 100% certain about it, her mother Martine definately is. I believe the queen invites friends quite often when she is having a holiday in Tavernelle or Lech, so probably Renee is invited as well. It must be so nice for the queen to have a close friend, always discrete, with whom she can talk about her youth.

Thanks Marengo. It's nice that the Queen makes the time to keep in touch with her friends. And for someone in her position, loyal, discreet friends are priceless.

Coronation of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands (1980)
http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=KEY01340_05101806.jpg

Portrait of H.M. Wilhelmina (1880-1962)
http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=COM02037_2568.jpg

Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands receives an enthusiastic welcome from the residents during a
visit to Nimegue (Holland) which was liberated September 12, 1944

http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=DIT01079_083.jpg

Queen Juliana of the Netherlands taking the oath, September 1st, 1948
http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=KEY01340_05200689.jpg

Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands, (The Hague, 1880 - Het Loo, 1962), Daughter of King William III (1817-1890), Married Henry Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=GRE00287_100.jpg

Marriage of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard von Lippe-Biesterfeld of Germany January 7, 1937 in The Hague.
http://www.photo12.com/recherche/affiche_image.asp?codeimage=KEY01340_05211180.jpg

Registration at Photo12: http://www.photo12.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
From www.hetgeheugenvannederland:

A picture of Princesses Beatrix and Irene, on their way to the opening of parlament:

beairene.jpg

Snowprincess are not only to be found in Scandinavia but the dutch had 4 as well:

snowprincesses.jpg

I posted a picture of the baptism of Princess Margriet previously (which is discussed in this thread as well). The picture disappeared but is now safely in my photobucket:

from www.data2.collectionscanada.ca

data2.jpg

From the site www.hetgeheugenvannederland.nl, Princesses Beatrix and Irene along the cradle of their new sister Margriet, in Ottawa again.

beainottawa.jpg

During the war there were 'illegal' newspapers, made by the resistance. This is the frontpage of a newspaper like that called 'De Wervelwind', the subtitle says 'monthly magazine for freedom, truth and justice'. Margriet is dutch for 'Daisy', so they show that flower in the middle. It is surrounded by the coat of arms of Juliana (right, with in the middle the 'bull' of Mecklenburg) and Bernhard (left, with the Lippe-rose).

Under the drawing is a quote by Queen Wilhelmina who says that the name was chosen because in May fields of Daisies are growing, the flowers now remind us of the suffering of the dutch people because the germans invaded The Netherlands in may (1940), etc.

dewervelwind.jpg

From Corbis:

Eleonor Roosevelt visiting Soestdijk Palace:

U1087909INP.jpg

The Churchills visiting Soestdijk Palace (and Winstons goddaughter Princess Marijke):

U1088905INP.jpg

It isn't that surprising that Margriet ended up with a pianoplayer:

U766060ACME.jpg

Love the pictures!:)

I didn't realize Churchill was Christina's godfather. I know two of Margriet's godparents were Roosevelt & Queen Mary.

I don't know who Beatrix's & Irene's godparents are? I assume there are some famous people there though, especially for Trix.

From the top of my head:

Beatrix:
- HM King Leopold III of the Belgians
- HH Duke Adolf of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (brother of the late Prince Hendrik)
- HRH The Countess of Athlone
- Countess Alene de Kotzebue (related to Prince Bernhard)

Irene:
HM Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother)
HRH Crownprincess Martha of Norway

They both have more, but I am not aware who.

Marengo said:
From the top of my head:

Beatrix:
- HM King Leopold III of the Belgians
- HH Duke Adolf of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (brother of the late Prince Hendrik)
- HRH The Countess of Athlone
- Countess Alene de Kotzebue (related to Prince Bernhard)

Irene:
HM Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother)
HRH Crownprincess Martha of Norway

They both have more, but I am not aware who.

Well, off the "top of your head", you did very well Marengo. Thank you. Gosh you are a "walking" encyclopedia on the Dutch RF.;)

Here a videoclip of tv-presentor Jos Brink congratulating Queen Juliana and hger family on her 70th birthday. I believe the entire family was present, so you can see a very young Willem-Alexander. And here Mies Bouwman presenting a choir that will sing to Juliana for her 75th birthday.

Here a videoclip of tv-presentor Jos Brink congratulating Queen Juliana and hger family on her 70th birthday. I believe the entire family was present, so you can see a very young Willem-Alexander. And here Mies Bouwman presenting a choir that will sing to Juliana for her 75th birthday.

Oh thank you for posting that dear Marengo,I remember that vividly,dates me,but I'm the last to care.
:flowers:

Well, I wasn't born on either occassion but I do have the book that Mies Bouwman and others offered Queen Juliana on her 75th birthday, with photos made by private people & in which they shared their anecdotes.

I don't expect that we will see anything like this for Beatrix' 70th birthday, te 'kneuterig' probably and Beatrix doesn't like personal celebrations anyway.

Well, I wasn't born on either occassion but I do have the book that Mies Bouwman and others offered Queen Juliana on her 75th birthday, with photos made by private people & in which they shared their anecdotes.

I don't expect that we will see anything like this for Beatrix' 70th birthday, te 'kneuterig' probably and Beatrix doesn't like personal celebrations anyway.

You little cheat,as far as I know you WERE already born in 1984,Juliana's 75th birthday......you were a cute 2 year old,almost 3 then.:rolleyes:\:angel:
You're forgiven.
:flowers:

Well, as I am starting the second half of my 20-ties on saturday, I seem to start having age-difficulties, so maybe that is why I mixed up things ;). Anyway, here a link to the book that was released on this occassion, I saved that one from my late grandmothers collection, so it is safely hidden in one of my book closets.

Here a nice picture of Beatrix, Claus and their young family in the garden of Huis ten Bosch

Back
Top Bottom