Retrospective of the Dutch Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1973 - Porte Ercole - vakantie - Willem Alexander

Attachments

• 1973___Porte_Ercole___vakantie___Willem_Alexander.JPG
    1973___Porte_Ercole___vakantie___Willem_Alexander.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,491
1973 - Beatrix & Constantijn, eerste schooldag, school

Attachments

• 1973__beatrix__constantijn__eerste_schooldag__school.JPG
    1973__beatrix__constantijn__eerste_schooldag__school.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 257
1973 - Lech - Willem Alexander

Attachments

• 1973__lech__ski__willem_alexander__wintersport.JPG
    1973__lech__ski__willem_alexander__wintersport.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,752
1975, willem alexander, zeilen

Attachments

• 1975__2002__jeugd__jeugdfoto__muiden__peter__willem_alexander__zeilen.JPG
    1975__2002__jeugd__jeugdfoto__muiden__peter__willem_alexander__zeilen.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,622
1988 - Leiden - Constantijn - universiteit

Attachments

• 1988___Leiden___Constantijn___universiteit.JPG
    1988___Leiden___Constantijn___universiteit.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,835
Willem Alexander

Attachments

• 2002__boomstam__jeugd_foto__rvd__willem_alexander.JPG
    2002__boomstam__jeugd_foto__rvd__willem_alexander.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 254
Drakensteyn - Willem Alexander

Attachments

• 2002__drakensteyn__jeugd__jeugdfoto__schommel__willem_alexander.JPG
    2002__drakensteyn__jeugd__jeugdfoto__schommel__willem_alexander.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 224
Very nice pics Tina! I especially like the 1968 baby pic of WA.

1980 - Lech

Johan Friso

Attachments

• wintersport__1980__johan_friso__lech__ski.jpg
    wintersport__1980__johan_friso__lech__ski.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,211
Porte Ercole - Willem-Alexander

Attachments

• 2002__fiets__hobby__porte_ercole__vakantie__willem_alexander__zomervakantie.JPG
    2002__fiets__hobby__porte_ercole__vakantie__willem_alexander__zomervakantie.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,419
Willem-Alexander

Attachments

• 2002__jeugd__jeugdfoto__portret__tiener__willem_alexander.JPG
    2002__jeugd__jeugdfoto__portret__tiener__willem_alexander.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 305
christening Constantijn

Attachments

• claus__constantijn__dominee__doop__kerk__willem_alexander.JPG
    claus__constantijn__dominee__doop__kerk__willem_alexander.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 682
England - Claus & Willem-Alexander

Attachments

• 2002__claus__engeland__school__student__walews__willem_alexander.JPG
    2002__claus__engeland__school__student__walews__willem_alexander.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 418

Attachments

• 1992_04_30__Queen__s_Day_in_the_Netherlands_Prince_Claus_and_Queen_Beatrix_of_the_Netherlands.JPG
    1992_04_30__Queen__s_Day_in_the_Netherlands_Prince_Claus_and_Queen_Beatrix_of_the_Netherlands.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 809
These pictures were split when I did a clean up of some other threads.

It would be great to add to this thread of older pictures of the entire Dutch royal family.

... various members of the family on holiday in Porto Ercole, Italy over the years ...

Photos: ANP

Attachments

• 1248575.jpg
    1248575.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4,458
  • 1143292.jpg
    1143292.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 1248542.jpg
    1248542.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,657
  • 1145499.jpg
    1145499.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 402
  • 1144102.jpg
    1144102.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,484
  • 1143973.jpg
    1143973.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,782
  • 1143820.jpg
    1143820.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,438
  • 1142915.jpg
    1142915.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,547
... more from Porto Ercole ...

ANP

Attachments

• 1248647.jpg
    1248647.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 1248742.jpg
    1248742.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,663
  • 1248826.jpg
    1248826.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,745
  • 1248831.jpg
    1248831.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,899
  • 1248838.jpg
    1248838.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,529
  • 2697071.jpg
    2697071.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,536
  • 1248757.jpg
    1248757.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3,606
  • 1248655.jpg
    1248655.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,586
Lovely pictures Marengo! And a special thank you for the picture of Margriet's baptism in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Ottawa.:):) It's kind of sad - I walk by that church everyday on my way to work & all day I look out at it from my office window ... but I have never been inside of it. One of these days I will visit it. I read that Juliana, as a thank you gift, donated an oak lectern to the church, bearing the royal coat-of-arms as well as carvings of marguerites. It would be neat to see.

Re:

That last pic of Juliana and Bernhard is really special. Quite moving really :(

A picture of the two of them together in older age always moves me as well, they went through so much with/ because of each other! I believe the picture was taken in the gardens of Palace Soestdijk when warveterans were passing there, after the defile the old Queen and Bernhard chatted wth them and had a look a the old jeeps etc.

BTW on the picture of the baptism of Margriet one can also see the earl and countess of Athlone. I recently discovered a biography by Theo Aronson on the countess, here in the public library of Amsterdam so I hope to read it very soon!

Question: On the benelux message board, there have been many comments about Queen Beatrix wearing a white flower on Queen's Day in 1976. They say how she was making a big statement. Someone on that board said, "Indeed, she had (see pic !) but that wasn't enough and she wore another one on her dress, inside. Bit overdone, IMHO....and I'm still convinced she was determined to make a huge statement on that day... Pity that, since it was her mother's birthday and Juliana's special celebration at Soestdijk!"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Simone23/BordesSoestdijk1976.jpg

Marengo said:
BTW on the picture of the baptism of Margriet one can also see the earl and countess of Athlone. I recently discovered a biography by Theo Aronson on the countess, here in the public library of Amsterdam so I hope to read it very soon!

I'm sure it will be an interesting read Marengo.

The Earl, as you probably know, was one of Margriet's godfathers. At the time that Juliana & her daughters were living in Ottawa, the Earl of Athlone was our Governor General. I think he & his wife, Princess Alice had pretty strong ties to the Dutch RF (Alice was an aunt of Juliana's, was she not?), and while Juliana was looking for a house to rent in Ottawa, they stayed with the Earl & Countess.

SpiffyBallerina said:
Question: On the benelux message board, there have been many comments about Queen Beatrix wearing a white flower on Queen's Day in 1976. They say how she was making a big statement. Someone on that board said, "Indeed, she had (see pic !) but that wasn't enough and she wore another one on her dress, inside. Bit overdone, IMHO....and I'm still convinced she was determined to make a huge statement on that day... Pity that, since it was her mother's birthday and Juliana's special celebration at Soestdijk!"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Simone23/BordesSoestdijk1976.jpg

That's interesting SpiffyBallerina. I don't know what is going on - but I did notice that Pieter & Bernhard also seem to be wearing a white flower on their lapels.

I found a picture of the Queen with her coat off & as they say on the BRMB, she is wearing a big flower on her dress (though it is not white).

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187096

A mystery ...

Apparently Beatrix was the only one wearing a WHITE flower and that's what all the fuss is about. Was there something going on at the time in The Netherlands that would make a white flower such a huge statement? Also, why does it sound like it was such a personal thing with Queen Juliana's birthday?

I think it has something to do with the so-called 'Lockheed-affaire' Prince Bernhard was involved in in 1976. It's difficult for me to explain this all in English.:( But to go short: I think Beatrix wanted to make a statement about the whole matter. Since the white flower always has been a symbol for Prince Bernhard in my country, Beatrix wanted to point out how she felt about the whole situation and that she supported her father.

I thought I heard something about this defile and the flower in all the documentaries that have been on television when Prince Bernhard died. But I'm not sure about it. So, if anyone knows, feel free to correct me or give some more specific details on the matter. Because it's an interesting one in my opinion...

That's so strange though because the posters on the benelux board just finished discussing how Beatrix and her father weren't on speaking terms because of the whole affair. Beatrix was really mad that her father did such a thing and that it tarnished the royal family the way it did. Apparently, many insiders said that the relationship between Beatrix and her father were very strained at this time. So I guess I just don't I know why she'd be wearing a symbol of support.

Spiffyballerina: Well, that's possible. It's just my interpretation and I thought I heard something about it in the past. But as I said, I could be wrong, of course. But that's why I want to know it too! Interesting matter. :)

I do not know if this was in the middle of the Lockheed investigation or after, when Bernhard was already found guilty by the commission. As I said, maybe the investigation was still going on, and Beatrix decided to support her father as she did not believe he was bribed by Lockheed (which he was, according to his own words he gave the money to his illegitemate daughters).

After the discovery it was Queen Juliana who stuck to her husband loyally, which is quite a noble thing to do, considering what and WHY he did these things. It was said that Beatrix was so shocked by her fathers lies that they did not have contact for I while, I do not know if it is true but it is said in most biographies and articles I read about it (which doesn't mean anything as they can be quoting each other all the time).

The flower is a carnation btw, Bernhard always wore them and the Prince Benrhard Culture fund (which I coordinate for 4 years already in Katwijk, Rijnsburg and Valkenburg) are also known as the carnation fund.

That just seems SO weird that she would not be on speaking terms with him and yet wear such a huge symbol of support. It doesn't make any sense. When did the whole bribery scandal happen? Was the white flower symbolizing something else and we're just missing it?

Squidgy said:
I'm sure it will be an interesting read Marengo.

The Earl, as you probably know, was one of Margriet's godfathers. At the time that Juliana & her daughters were living in Ottawa, the Earl of Athlone was our Governor General. I think he & his wife, Princess Alice had pretty strong ties to the Dutch RF (Alice was an aunt of Juliana's, was she not?), and while Juliana was looking for a house to rent in Ottawa, they stayed with the Earl & Countess.
Alice was a 1st cousin of Queen Wilhelmina, the Duchess of Albany was Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont and Wilhelmina's mother was of course one of Helena's older sisters: Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont. The Furstin did quite well for her daughters I would say, the eldest became Queen of Wurttemberg.

Alice was quite indiscrete and was boasting now and then how rich her dutch cousin was. However in her memoirs she used not to flattering words about Wilhelmina (according to her Wilhelmina was not able to find a decent dress in London as she was to fat). I believe Queen Juliana tried to stop these memoirs from being sold in The Netherlands. According to the dutch press Alic's spite might have been that Wilhelmina, when younger did not approve of the Earl of Athlone as a husband for herself.

Alice visited The Netherlands quite often, especially when Queen Emma was still alive. After WWI she and her brother, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (grandfather of the present King of Sweden) usually met in The Hague or Scheveningen as going to Germany was a bridge to far for british royals, so soon after the war.

I believe in her last years, when she was a widow she became a close companion of King Gustaf VI-Adolf of Sweden and some say he even proposed to her.

Alice was at the bapism of Beatrix, she was her godmother (Beatrix is the godmother to one or two of the Abel-Smith grandchildren as well I believe). Others who attended: the Countess de Kotzebue, King Leopold III of the Belgians, Princess Armgard (Bernhard's mother), Crown Princess Juliana with baby Beatrix, Prince Bernhard, Queen Wilhelmina I, Duke Adolf of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (paternal uncle of Juliana), Fuerstin Elisabeth of Erbach-Schonberg (sister of Queen Emma, aunt of Wilhelmina and Alice).

The choice of Adolf as a godfather was unfortunate, the man became a nazi in the war. During the war Bernhard (and I believe Princess Armgard as well) wrote him letters as one of his best friends, Jhr. Roell was captured and would be shot dead (as he was in the resistance). He asked Adolf to intervene ut he did nothing for the squire, who was shot dead. Afterwards the family saw him only once at the Olympic Games of Helsinki and they all turned their back at him. (The wife of jhr Roell lives in Canada, and is now Mrs Martine Feaver, one of the closest friends of Queen Juliana who accompanied her in the war to Canada. The couples daughter Jvr. Renee Roell is the closest friend of Queen Beatrix and godmother of the Prince of Orange)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom