Queen Juliana (1909-2004) and Prince Bernhard (1911-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awful.
Leave the man and especially his daughters (all of them) alone.
There is nothing to gain from publishing this.

I for one would be interested in reading that. He was such an interesting and controversial figure. It would be interesting to see what he possessed and who they were bequeathed to.

Gossip magazine 'Privé' has 'been able to get their hands on all 64 pages of the last will of Prince Bernhard and will publish all details in their next edition.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/239437316/prive-geheime-testament-prins-bernhard-uitgelekt

By my knowledge in Dutch law a testator has the right to arrange strict entrance to the testament. Only the Notary (an offical with a public function) has entrance to the document, after all he has to control the strict execution of the testament.

Will Privé be liable for publishing a testament without permission of the testator and the beneficiants?

I for one would be interested in reading that. He was such an interesting and controversial figure. It would be interesting to see what he possessed and who they were bequeathed to.

In general we know that his six daughters (Princess Beatrix, Princess Irene, Princess Margriet, the late Princess Christina, the American Alicia Hala de Bielefeld and the French Alexia Lejeune-Grinda) all received an equal share.

Probably there were some other beneficiaries. I believe it is not usual to name amounts of money in relation to first-grade beneficiaries as they have legal right on an equal share which is the sum of all properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen it. That is to say, the magazine. I flipped through it.

Apparently his daughters did not get an equal share, and he has used favouritism in his will. He seemingly was very concerned for how he would enter the history books.
Alexia and Alicia supposedly did not get along.

H. Jacobs of Royal blog gave his view on the situation:

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsb...uur-maar-wees-voorzichtig-met-trekken-co.html

He mentions that Prince Bernhard had 1000s of little statues of elephants. King Willem-Alexander inherited Bernhard's favorite, a bronze elephant that B. always took along on his travels. The statue was stored in a leather box. Each weak a fresh carnation was put in this box, a tradition that the King has continued.

The magazine also laid their hands on a codicil to the testament where his possessions were devided. Apparently the prince left a set of cufflinks to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Hélène Grinda, the mother of Alexia Grinda, received the the jewellery items that were worn by Bernhard. His personal secretary Cocky Gilles received 48 bottles of Pommery champagne. She died however 2 years after the prince.

H. Jacobs of Royal blog gave his view on the situation:

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsb...uur-maar-wees-voorzichtig-met-trekken-co.html

He mentions that Prince Bernhard had 1000s of little statues of elephants. King Willem-Alexander inherited Bernhard's favorite, a bronze elephant that B. always took along on his travels. The statue was stored in a leather box. Each weak a fresh carnation was put in this box, a tradition that the King has continued.

The magazine also laid their hands on a codicil to the testament where his possessions were devided. Apparently the prince left a set of cufflinks to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Hélène Grinda, the mother of Alexia Grinda, received the the jewellery items that were worn by Bernhard. His personal secretary Cocky Gilles received 48 bottles of Pommery champagne. She died however 2 years after the prince.

As I understand it, the story is more about a codicil, about personal belongings. "Cufflink 15 to my grandson Bernardo, cufflink 45 to my grandson Maurits, cufflink 70 to the Duke of Edinburgh, cufflink 120 to my son-in-law Claus."

It is not true that Hélène Lejeune-Grinda received more. As spouse Queen Juliana already had everything and a first choice in properties.

I often wondered how Princess Armgard got on with Princess Wilhelmina and queen Juliana after her conversion to Catholicism in 1951?

I often wondered how Princess Armgard got on with Princess Wilhelmina and queen Juliana after her conversion to Catholicism in 1951?

Queen Juliana didn't strike me as a strict. hardcore Protestant. Her approach to religion seemed to be quite eccumenical. Queen/Princess Wilhelmina's position is a different matter though.

Last edited:
Learned something new today. Through prince Bernhard the Dutch royal family is related to the most senior Habsburgs:

Ernst, Count of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1842-1904) - Countess Adelaide of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1870-1948) - Georg, Prince of Saxe-Meiningen (1892-1946) - Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen (1925-2010) - the 7 Habsburg-siblings including the current head Karl von Habsburg

Ernst, Count of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1842-1904) - Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1872–1934) - Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1911-2004) - Queen/Princess Beatrix and her sisters

So, queen Beatrix and her sisters shared great-grandparents with Archduchess Regina, born as princess of Saxe-Meiningen; and therefore were second cousins. Karl and his siblings are third cousins of Willem-Alexander and his brother and cousins.

Some information in Trouw, by historian Jurryt van Vooren.

In 1948 Prince Bernhard (sr) was involved with the Zandvoort racing circuit -now owned by his grandson and namesake. The prince was involved in preventing a 'building stop' that threatened the opening date of August 7th 1948.

Through the prince Benrhard veteran association the ministeries of Internal affairs and of Finance were succesfully pressured. The opening eventually went ahead as planned. As a reward Prince Bernhards foundation received 20.000 guilders (100.000 Euros in todays money) from the city, which was financed by an increase of the price of the entry tickets.

The building stop was an issue between the state and the town of Zandvoort. During the war the racing circuit was demolished by the Germans and replaced by the Atlantic Wall. After the war there were shortages of everything, including houses and building materials. the ministery of reconstruction and housing found it irrisponsible to use bricks for a racing circuit rather than housing. The conflict escalated op to the point that The Hague stopped the constructions of roads to the racing circuit.

The prince Bernhard foundation pointed out that car races were a in multi-sided national interest. The historian points out that after the war the prince was virtually unassailable. Most likely the mere mention of the name of the prince was enough to convince civil servants and ministers to change course.

https://www.trouw.nl/sport/prins-be...circuit-zandvoort-in-ruil-voor-geld~b0847b61/

The Prince managed to get Zaïre (Congo) to establish Salonga Nature Reserve. A nature park bigger in size than the former colonizator Belgium and holding the second largest tropical rainforest in the world.

The Prince, founder and President of the World Wildlife Fund, had a major involvement in this. President Mobutu Sese Seko was awarded the Order of the Golden Arch. This Order was created by the Prince to award meritorious people in nature preservation and protection. However it was no State Order, no House Order and the Prince was no fons honorum, his prestige was so big that this Order was established.

For an example: at Prince Bernhard's funeral, the Duke of Edinburgh and other guests wore the Golden Arch as a honour to this WWF-giant.

The Prince, founder and President of the World Wildlife Fund, had a major involvement in this. President Mobutu Sese Seko was awarded the Order of the Golden Arch. This Order was created by the Prince to award meritorious people in nature preservation and protection. However it was no State Order, no House Order and the Prince was no fons honorum, his prestige was so big that this Order was established.

For an example: at Prince Bernhard's funeral, the Duke of Edinburgh and other guests wore the Golden Arch as a honour to this WWF-giant.

I take it that the Order of the Golden Ark is no longer bestowed?

I take it that the Order of the Golden Ark is no longer bestowed?

In 2002 Prince Bernhard bestowed the Golden Ark to:

Claude Martin (Switzerland), World Wildlife Fund

Annette Lanjouw (Netherlands), The International Gorilla Conservation Project

Anna A. Lushchekima (Russia), The Siberian Tiger Conservation Project

John G. Robinson (USA), International Conservation programs of the Wildlife Conservation Society

Miguel Cifuentes Arias (Costa Rica), Parque Nacional Galápagos

Wouter Veening (Netherlands), Institute for Environmental Security

Since then the Order has a dormant state.

Picture: President Kenneth Kaunda (Zambia) receives the Golden Ark at Soestdijk Palace

Last edited:
Queen Juliana celebrated her 70th birthday on Queen's Day 1979.

Just to let you all know there was long time ago 2 biographies out of the late queen Juliana of the Netherlands: 1 Queen Juliana, the story of the richest woman in the world by William Hoffman, 2 Juliana, Queen of the Netherlands by Magdalena Schenk and the books are all in ENGLISH, interesting reading about the late queen Juliana.

There is a wonderfull exhibition on Queen Juliana at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam at the moment.

It is absolutely worthwhile a visit, `Juliana´s century` as it is called saw so many changes,incredible for such a relatively short period of time.

There is a wonderfull exhibition on Queen Juliana at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam at the moment.

It is absolutely worthwhile a visit, `Juliana´s century` as it is called saw so many changes,incredible for such a relatively short period of time.

I was reading about it and saw Beatrix at the opening in the article,hope you enjoyed it :previous:

Some of the dresses which Queen Juliana wore are included in the exhibition.

The dresses seem to be in a good state. I wonder if the bejewelled hairnet used with the inauguration gown is a copy or if they used the real jewels for it. It is difficult to see in the video. But it seems some of the pearl buttons are there. The ruby earrings look like the extended ones from the Mellerio parure, though the lower parts were worn in Greece so it may be a copy. The stomacher of the Mellerio parure and the Peacock ruby necklace seem to be missing. The hair ornaments of the wedding dress seem to be differing from the real thing too, although it seems they did use the rose-pattern it does not look like the real diamond roses.

Maybe in December I will be able to visit the exhibition, if there isn't a long queue.

Last edited:
I like her eyeglasses have their own exhibit table

Prince Bernhard and his brother Prince Aschwin in London, England in 1938

Back
Top Bottom