Princess Marianne (1810-1883)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read that princess Marianne was considered a very sexually 'free' lady. So much that there were legendary stories about erotic parties at her villa in Voorburg. She had a plateau built in her garden, where nude young women would sit on at times. The stable boys, only dressed in boots, would have to climb the plateau. The stable boy that would be on top first would have intercourse with the woman, in front of the princess and a few guests.

Source: M. Matthijsen 'De gemaskerde eeuw'.

A story that has more to do with the secret vaults in the brain of the author,then it has with Princess Marianne I'm sure....
he's still climbing I suppose......:whistling:

Not really, he uses primairy sources from that time.

Another anecdote: it was obvious that there was very little love lost between princess Marianne and her sister in law Queen Anna Pavlovna. Queen Anna preferred not to see her, and when she heard that princess Marianne was ill, she arranged that a planned court ball would be held earlier, so the princess would not attend. However, half way the ball, the doors opened and princess Marianne entered, covered in chicken pox. The queen put her hands on her back and refused to greet her s-i-l, mothers send their younger daughters away to prevent them from catching the disease. When princess Marianne noticed this she shaked the hands of every girl that was present. In the end 1400 people got the chicken pox, including the king, but nobody died.

Not really, he uses primairy sources from that time.

Another anecdote: it was obvious that there was very little love lost between princess Marianne and her sister in law Queen Anna Pavlovna. Queen Anna preferred not to see her, and when she heard that princess Marianne was ill, she arranged that a planned court ball would be held earlier, so the princess would not attend. However, half way the ball, the doors opened and princess Marianne entered, covered in chicken pox. The queen put her hands on her back and refused to greet her s-i-l, mothers send their younger daughters away to prevent them from catching the disease. When princess Marianne noticed this she shaked the hands of every girl that was present. In the end 1400 people got the chicken pox, including the king, but nobody died.

Great anecdote,and what a naughty gal for that time and age mind you....
Still,spoiled rotten as she was by her "daddy",she is one of my favorite members of the Orange Nassaus of the past....

Grinning..at what must have been Anna's horror,tell you what,there was little love lost between Anna and almost everybody.
A very difficult character..Pauls daughter.

More than naughty in this case, infecting other people with a disease on purpose... Most dutch royals of that period seem to have been difficult characters, save Queen Wilhelmina Frederica perhaps.

stillborn son !!

hi,
didnt marianne and albrecht have a stillborn son born in berlin 4 dec 1832. i do not think he is listed in the adove posts concerning the couples children or descendants.
but saying that, i have learnt something new - i was not aware that marianne took a lover and had a child by him. the fact is not mentioned in burkes royal families of europe (1977), where in some cases natural children are listed in the genealogies.........or at least said to have natural children / issue......
well thanks for that new info.......:cool:

I suppose because of this:
Wapedia - Wiki: Marianne der Nederlanden
........Prinses Marianne heeft in de tijd dat zij in Duitsland woonde, in de buurt van Wrocław (Breslau), veel voor de streek betekend. Zij heeft veel geïnvesteerd in de aanleg van wegen en de (glas)industrie. In Stronie Śląskie (Seitenberg) staat nu nog de Violetta glasfabriek, waarvan zij de oprichting mogelijk heeft gemaakt.....

rough translation: she lived in Wroclaw (Breslau) and meant a lot for the region. She invested in roadbuilding and the glassindustrie.

Good to hear, I always liked the fact that she kept her illigitimate child but was shocked by the chickenpox story. :flowers:

Fascinating personnage. New little about her. She lived before her time. Today in royal families no one would think anything about divorces, natural children and lovers.

Princess Marianne reconstructed part of Schloss Reinhartshausen as a museum to house her collection of 600 paintings.

I never realized Princess Marianne was buried in a simple graveyard here's a video of her grave in Germany.

Marianne's portrait and quote for young Wilhelmina

QUOTE:

'The last time Princess Marianne appeared in public in The Netherlands was in 1880, at the baptism of her great-niece, the future Queen Wilhelmina. She gave the little child a portrait of herself on which she wrote 'Oh there are so many things that I wish for this little girl. I know what it is like to be both Queen and woman. It causes such an internal struggle; many a queen may wish only to be born as a woman'. Wilhelmina kept the small portrait of Marianne in her studyroom untill she died, which must say something as Wilhelmina only surrounded herself there with (deceased) familymembers that she admired.'

Thanks for sharing a wealth of photos and information about Princess Marianne, Marengo! I did not know she gave a portrait to baby Wilhelmina and even wrote something to her. I was wondering if you could quote a source for this particular bit of information? Where is the portrait and/or quote to be found? Thanks so much!

It is from an article in Royalty Digest titled 'Princess Marianne of The Netherlands (1810-1883) A Royal Outcast. The author was Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano, who is mainly known for his books on the Spanish monarchy.

I received a scan of the article from our administrator Warren who sadly died a few years ago. I do not know which number or even which year of RD it was, but it was from before it changed to the Royalty Digest Quarterly in 2006. The article runs from pages 322 to 328. The author did not use an annotation to back this claim. I have never seen the information written anywhere before or afterwards either.

Edit: it seems to come from issue 107, published in July 2000.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I will try to find his source myself, then. If I find it I will post an update here, thanks again!

Wow, such a wealth of pictures, thank you Thijs & Marengo so much, this must have occupied a ton of your time!! It's much appreciated though, I learned so much just scrolling through this thread!

Occurred to me how different the face in all the painted portraits look from the face in the photographs!

also, Marianne struck me as a kindof prinses Irene avant la lettre, no? Although according to this thread, many of her peers seem to have understood her predicaments perfectly well. As Queen Victoria said, it was Marianne's husband who drove the poor woman basically into the arms of others! Interesting how her contemporaries evidently saw that, that the blame wasn't squarely placed onto Marianne!

Interesting, also, how forgotten she is today as a historic character..wonder why.

In the Dutch history books about the House of Orange-Nassau, princess Marianne of the Netherlands has always been mentioned in different circumstances in her life & the family tree of the House of Orange, her descendants today are from the Prussian line and one from the Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Saxe-Meiningen, Saxe-Altenburg line. That is why I personally like reading European royal history and I have done it for years.

I knew nothing about Marianne before reading the thread just now, but I'd be surprised if she hasn't made it into a few novels at this point.

Both she and her mother were lovely women. There is something strangely modern about her eyes. (Maybe she really was ahead of her time.)

Back
Top Bottom