Prince Bernhard Passes Away: 1 December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing the pictures of the workers decorating around the entrance of the Royal Crypt made me wonder...
Has there ever been a photograph taken of the inside of the Royal Crypt? I understand that it is not open to the public, but wondered if there was a photo taken of inside the crypt.

Today the funeral will take place.God bless you Prince Bernhard.Wish him in rest.

Vicomtesse said:
Didn't you read the list someone posted at the top?
By Earl and Countess you probably mean the Wessexes. It says if you read carefully that PRINCE PHILLIP is the one from Great Britain is supposed to represent the family.
Don't you think it would be out of place for the Wessexes to go when the other funeral guests are so much older and have a higher rank than them?
Sara's question was a perfectly valid one. Maybe she did not read the list posted at the top of the page. Quite often, the Queen does send the Wessexes to represent England at different royal functions. They attend most of the royal weddings even though other royal families send members of higher rank, usually the King and/or Queen. I, myself, am quite shocked that Philip is going. I expected Prince Charles to be the one attending.

Yes,i also agree with you.We can not compare between higher rank and lower rank.Maybe The Wessexes are not as old as them but they are also Royals.Not the other are Royals and Wessexes are BEGGAR!They are all Royals.We should see ourselves are we Royals?Why we complain everything about them?

bct88 said:
Seeing the pictures of the workers decorating around the entrance of the Royal Crypt made me wonder...
Has there ever been a photograph taken of the inside of the Royal Crypt? I understand that it is not open to the public, but wondered if there was a photo taken of inside the crypt.
No pictures of that.

Gabriella said:
Sara's question was a perfectly valid one. Maybe she did not read the list posted at the top of the page. Quite often, the Queen does send the Wessexes to represent England at different royal functions. They attend most of the royal weddings even though other royal families send members of higher rank, usually the King and/or Queen. I, myself, am quite shocked that Philip is going. I expected Prince Charles to be the one attending.
Queen Elizabeth should be the one attending. It just the height of bad manners not to attend royal functions in other countries. Other monarchs go and so should she.

Iain said:
Queen Elizabeth should be the one attending. It just the height of bad manners not to attend royal functions in other countries. Other monarchs go and so should she.
elizabeth could not do anything rude even if she tried to, even non-royalists in GB agree that the woman is a total saint, has never put a foot wrong.

there must have been a reason for prince philip being there, maybe he really wanted to, not everything is protocol, some things are personal.

there was an interview with bernard at the end of his life, when he said something that puzzled me, it was about the lack of apprecitation of the polish army in WW 2 in the form of a monument (and I read about the polish cavalry brave attempt to defend their country on horses against the germans in tanks).

He said something about the english army in the ww 2 wich sounded non appreciative and I did not understand what he meant.

I believe that it is protocol (with the exception of King Boudewijn's funeral) that the British monarch (whether it be male or female), do not attend a wedding or funeral outside of the United Kingdom. This tradition has dated back for a long time. Also, it is somewhat of a safety issue nowadays so the foreign office (or some other office) I believe does not allow the Queen to go to such events.

bct88 said:
I believe that it is protocol (with the exception of King Boudewijn's funeral) that the British monarch (whether it be male or female), do not attend a wedding or funeral outside of the United Kingdom. This tradition has dated back for a long time. Also, it is somewhat of a safety issue nowadays so the foreign office (or some other office) I believe does not allow the Queen to go to such events.
It is NOT protocol for the British monarch not to attend the funeral of others outside of her country. It is a CHOICE the British queen has made herself not to attend such events.
Queen Elizabeth has not attended any royal events NOT held in London with the exception of King Baudoin's funeral.
The Queen instead sends her husband or her children in her place when the monarchs of other nations go themselves.
It's one thing for the Queen not to go to the wedding of Frederik, Hamzah, or Haakon. But to not attend the funerals of her counterparts and contemporaries like Juliana and Ingrid is rude and an insult to their families.
It is also NOT a safety issue. The Queen travels freely to nations such as Zimbabwe, Germany, France and safety is not an issue there. But a funeral in Holland poses such a safety issue??? If the monarchs of other countries can go and are not afraid of security problems or bring their own security then so can Queen Elizabeth.

I think the Foreign Office does not allow The Queen to attend any weddings or funerals outside GB.You know in Japan, i read a book about the Royals it tell that Princess Masako can not do anything.There are always some nanny to go with her to know what she does, how she walks( It means that does she walks as she is Royals).And if she wants to phone to her parents she must ask the Office one or two weeks before.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I think the Foreign Office does not allow The Queen to attend any weddings or funerals outside GB.You know in Japan, i read a book about the Royals it tell that Princess Masako can not do anything.There are always some nanny to go with her to know what she does, how she walks( It means that does she walks as she is Royals).And if she wants to phone to her parents she must ask the Office one or two weeks before.
I think the cases of Japan and Great Britain are very different and unfair comparisons. The situation in Japan, as it pertains to Masako, is also the cause of much discussion and debate at present having caused much distress for the Crown Princess and sparked quite a defence from Crown Prince Naruhito.

I think that while Queen Elizabeth does have individuals who guide her in terms of protocol, ultimately she makes many decisions herself, and even if there was a stipulation that she can't (which I don't believe to be true) attend events outside of Great Britain, if the Queen felt truly strongly about attending something she could defy protocol and attend the event -- she is the Queen afterall!

I don't quite understand either, however, why such a stipulation (if it exists) would only bar the Queen from weddings and funerals. These two events seem to me to be occasions where protcol is the most straightforward -- the royal house "hosting" the event determines the dress code and in the case of a funeral you show the proper respect and at weddings you show joy and happiness for the couple starting out their married life.

It's one thing for the Queen to not have attended because of prior commitments but surely the death of at least Juliana would've warranted an appearance by Queen Elizabeth.

Although she is The Queen,Alexandria, but in GB,the Monarch now does not have any power.It's only the title,no power now,the power is in Blair's hand.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Although she is The Queen,Alexandria, but in GB,the Monarch now does not have any power.It's only the title,no power now,the power is in Blair's hand.
HMQueenElizabethII, I'm not referring to political power or any sort of governing power. During her entire reign so far the Queen has reigned through many prime ministers, some of whom she got along with better than others. Her standard protocol does not change with each new prime minister who moves into 10 Downing Street.

The protocol that guides the Queen is likely protcol that guided her own mother when she was queen, with some changes along the way in the name of keeping up with the times. Therefore, protocol and what guides the Queen on what she can and cannot do in terms of her royal duties and commitments is predominantly independent of politics.

Ok,sorry.Because i only do not want they complain about The Queen.She has done a lot she can do, do not complain her so much.We should have a respect.

Back
Top Bottom