The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 09-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Frederik may very well suceed but out of him, Haakon and Victoria, he is the one who will get the biggest shoes to fill..
I trust the Danes are astute enough to know that he doesn't have to fill his mothers shoes, he can just wear his own when the time comes...

Perhaps if his parents had given him more support growing up, he needn't have been insecure about his future (more than 20 years ago).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-27-2020, 01:22 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
But a healthy 90 + can perform royal duties. We see it in Queen Elizabeth II and until quite recently also Prince Philip. We saw it in Grand Duke Jean well past his abdication. We saw it in Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden who was a viewed as a cold and stern Crown Prince for most of his life but ended his days as a warm and respected old King... in Norway there was absolutely no preassure at King Olav to abdicate in favour of Crown Prince Harald despite not being very healthy towards the end of his life. Sometimes the advancing age is making a person popular... I am sure Princess Beatrix healthwise could have stayed on if she really wanted but she followed the Nassau tradition.
Even queen Elizabeth delegated many of the duties that normally lay with the Sovereign to her heir: she for example no longer undertakes state visits abroad (a very reasonable expectation of a head of state), so, that proofs Duc_et_Pair's point that if you water the position down to what a healthy 90+ monarch can do, it shows that very little is required of a monarch...

And both Harald and Juliana took over from their parent after somewhat lengthy regencies (not only a few weeks because of short-term illness). However, Juliana did so because Wilhelmina concluded that abdication was preferable to a long regency while Harald had to wait for his father to die (sounds rather cruel but that was the reality).

People get older and older, is it really preferable to (for example) have a Sovereign with dementia than have his/her heir take over before a permanent regency is unavoidable?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The 6ix, Canada
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am happy you say that because you do the right thing: separate personal popularity and the popularity of having a monarchy. A lot of posters on this forum confuse the two in my opinion: that a Victoria, or a Margrethe, or a Haakon are well-liked and popular is not the same as being in favour for a hereditary monarchy as constitution.
Surely it's still better than the other way around, having support for a monarchy but a deeply unpopular monarch?

To bring the discussion back to Norway, they've always had a virtually "republican" or at least democratic-style of modern monarchy, from offering the crown to having a referendum to back it up to horrifying the ancien regime by "Carl is going around thanking the people for electing him!!"

I can't see a republican Norway anytime soon because the monarchy (and the people who make it up and have made it up) is important there, in a low-fuss, integrated kind of way. What is there to rid themselves of?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-27-2020, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Even queen Elizabeth delegated many of the duties that normally lay with the Sovereign to her heir: she for example no longer undertakes state visits abroad (a very reasonable expectation of a head of state), so, that proofs Duc_et_Pair's point that if you water the position down to what a healthy 90+ monarch can do, it shows that very little is required of a monarch...

And both Harald and Juliana took over from their parent after somewhat lengthy regencies (not only a few weeks because of short-term illness). However, Juliana did so because Wilhelmina concluded that abdication was preferable to a long regency while Harald had to wait for his father to die (sounds rather cruel but that was the reality).

People get older and older, is it really preferable to (for example) have a Sovereign with dementia than have his/her heir take over before a permanent regency is unavoidable?
Yes but QEII did up until 89. And she is still as healthy as she was then.

King Olav was not in good health through much of 1990 but he still took part in quite a lot of things. Just not being the regent. I don’t see how it was ”cruel” for Harald to having to wait for his father to die. It’s just the way it is in Scandinavia. Like it’s just the way it is in UK.

Have i ever said that a monarch shouldn’t be able to abdicate or be declared incapacitated if they get dementia ? No i haven’t ! Just because i am not a fan of royal abdications does not mean that there can be exceptions in for example mental illness.

With that said i leave the discussion now. I think it’s safe to assume that we disagree about some things regarding abdication and that won’t change.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,675
I also prefer a monarch to stay on the throne for the rest of his life.
Except in cases where it is tradition to abdicate (Luxembourg and The Netherlands) or when it is necessary to save the monarchy (Spain).
But if a monarch wants to abdicate freely and with good will for reasons of health or old age, his will must be respected, of course.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The 6ix, Canada
Posts: 554
I think a monarch usually gains "stature points" with tenure. Elizabeth is beloved and revered now. That wasn't the case 20 years ago. (The same thing happened with Victoria before her.) If she'd abdicated then, she wouldn't enjoy the status she does today. Harald, too, is more popular now than he once was.

There's also the question of 'do people want their aged monarch to go anywhere?' In the UK and in Norway, the answer would be emphatically "no".
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,527
No one would really like to be flown in an Airbus by a 78-years old pilot or having a 81-years old dentist holding the drill in his hands to treat teeth. In boardrooms we see older CEO's making place for younger CEO's We see ministers, judges, ambassadors, civil servants, police officers facing an age of retirement. Essentially for anyone but one person: the hereditary monarch. He should not abdicate because it would harm the institution?

I think the practice in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain and Japan is proof that it can rejuvenate the institution. King Harald, Queen Margrethe, King Carl Gustaf, they all can enjoy wonderful and well-deserved years of rest and see how their successors are doing fantastically well indeed.

King Juan Carlos, Princess Beatrix, King Albert II, Emperor Akihito, all of them see how their successors are doing great in their new positions.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-28-2020, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Do the monarchies of Norway, Sweden and Denmark have much popular support?
I would say in Norway and Denmark the monarchy and the monarch and the future monarch have a lot of popular support.
In Sweden neither the monarchy nor the current monarch are popular.
Victoria is quite popular in Sweden - in comparison to her father but not so much in comparison to Haakon's popularity in Norway and Frederik's popularity in Denmark - mostly because she is far more media-friendly than her father. And the ability to handle the media seems to be one of the most important skills which a modern-day-monarch needs.
But if any of the Scandinavian countries is likely to abolish the monarchy my bet would be on Sweden.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Surely it's still better than the other way around, having support for a monarchy but a deeply unpopular monarch?


[...]


Queen Beatrix never ever topped the popularity polls, unlike her late parents or her son and daughter-in-law. But the support for the monarchy as an institution was greater under Beatrix than when she took over from her mother. And it was greater than now, under her successor, who enjoys a far greater personal popularity.

This is proof that a distant person, not at all aiming for personal popularity, can actually broaden the support for the monarchy, especially when said distance is paired with perfect "execution of the royal dignity".
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,349
Everyone in the current ”heir to the monarch” generation faces the same problem in 2020. How to execute royal dignity without loosing connection with the reality - while at the same time preserve the institution so the next generation will have something to inherit.

The people who are young and brought up today in western democracies like UK, the BeNeLux countries and the Scandinavian countries no longer buy the ”history” argument as a reason for keeping the monarchy forever... They want full democracy and human rights on all levels... Hereditary Monarchy is hardly democratic and not allowing the 1:st born to become whatever he or she wants in life is hardly something people would call human rights..... Should any monarchy survive longterm, the new Royal generation must prove why the old, historical and not exactly very democratic Monarchy is not just something for the history books but also something worth to keep today and tomorrow...

Haakon, Frederik and Victoria will all face the same problem Regardless of how popular or impopular their parents was... The 3 scandinavian monarchies are all stable and secure today as they are under the current monarch’s - but it is not something that can be taken for granted.... That’s why it is absolutely crucial that younger royal generations (both by birth and by marriage) understands that it is not about themselves - but about the institution.

Otherwise the remaining monarchie’s will soon join the claimant’s to the throne in Greece, Germany, France, Austria, Bulgaria, Romania and Russia.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
I wish a long Reign to King Harald and Queen Sonja.

I don't know nothing about the Crown Princess Ilness , but she looks fine.

When I see the wonderful help princess Astrid gave her whole life to the Monarchy , Haakon will heve no help from his extrange Sister
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Future of the Belgian monarchy Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 122 09-27-2020 08:03 AM
Future of the Dutch Monarchy Marengo Dutch Royals 42 09-25-2020 03:53 AM
The Norwegian Monarchy 1905-2005: Biographies and timeline norwegianne Royal House of Norway 16 07-05-2006 09:17 PM
Norwegian Monarchy Timeline Mandy Royal House of Norway 3 02-19-2005 03:19 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baby names bangladesh baptism biography bridal gown brownbitcoinqueen canada carolin chittagong clarence house coronavirus cover-up dna dubai duke of sussex dutch royal family earl of snowdon emperor facts fantasy movie general news thread george vi heraldry hill historical drama history hochberg hypothetical monarchs introduction jumma kent languages list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark northern ireland norway history palestine pless popularity prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess of orange queen consort queen mathilde royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal spouse royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown settings startling new evidence stuart swedish queen thailand tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×