State Visit from Canada , April 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
State Visit from Canada

On the invitation of HM King Harald V, Their Excellencies the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, and Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond will pay a State Visit to Norway 28-30 April 2009.

kongehuset.no - State Visit from Canada

Why would the Prime Minister be invited? He is not an acting Head of State. The Governor General is.

Stephen Harper, as the Prime Minister, is the head of the government. The Governor General, as the Queen's representative, is the symbol of Canada when she travels abroad. I like Michelle Jean quite a bit. She always looks wonderful.

The Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, is not invited ? :confused:

Stephen Harper, as the Prime Minister, is the head of the government. The Governor General, as the Queen's representative, is the symbol of Canada when she travels abroad. I like Michelle Jean quite a bit. She always looks wonderful.

I like Michaelle Jean too. She represents Canada well. But I think that the Prime Minister should be invited too. I'm not an expert in protocol. ;)

I like Michaelle Jean too. She represents Canada well. But I think that the Prime Minister should be invited too.
It's usual that the formal "Representatives" are invited on a State Visit.
Maybe you can compare it with Germany: the chancellor never attends State Visits. The official representative, so the president, is invited instead.
I guess it's similar in Canada: not the Prime Minister is invited, but the official representative of the Queen.
It's always the "Head of State" who is invted.

The PM would have been invited if decisions were to be made

The PM would have been invited if decisions were to be made

The PM would have meetings with the Head of government of Norway, not the Head of State. It sounds like lower level government officials will be travelling along with the GG, and they will talk business with their counterparts.

I´m a bit surprised that everybody is wearing it´s owns orders.
Didn't the General Governor get the Noriegan Order? also The king and Queen arent wearing Canadien orders. I wonder why!

BelgaPicture - Category details

Last edited:
I´m a bit surprised that everybody is wearing it´s owns orders.
Didn't the General Governor get the Noriegan Order? also The king and Queen arent wearing Canadien orders. I wonder why!

It's my understanding that we created an order in 1967 to mark Canada's centennial. I don't remember the name of it, but I do recall we have never given it to anyone.

The orders the governor general wears on official occasions are only intended for Canadians and are only given to foreigners in truly exceptional cases (I remember the Queen Mother getting the Order of Canada for her own centennial, and I remember a British soldier getting the military order for his bravery in helping Canadians, though I do not recall the specific reasons).

So the lack of exchanged orders is routine for Canada.

It's my understanding that we created an order in 1967 to mark Canada's centennial. I don't remember the name of it, but I do recall we have never given it to anyone.

The orders the governor general wears on official occasions are only intended for Canadians and are only given to foreigners in truly exceptional cases (I remember the Queen Mother getting the Order of Canada for her own centennial, and I remember a British soldier getting the military order for his bravery in helping Canadians, though I do not recall the specific reasons).

So the lack of exchanged orders is routine for Canada.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info Adamari

The governor general's wife is very pretty! I was also wondering about the orders; thanks, Adamari for the explanation.

Mette-Marit and Queen Sonia also look very pretty. I love state visits!

The governor general's wife is very pretty! I was also wondering about the orders; thanks, Adamari for the explanation.

Mette-Marit and Queen Sonia also look very pretty. I love state visits!
The lovely lady in the gold dress is the governor general. ;) Her husband is the gentleman with Queen Sonja.

Mette-Marit looks great on the state banquet....but what is she wearing on the welcome ceremony?:ohmy: She looks way to old un that outfit...

Thank you all for the links :)

The General Governor looks lovely; her gold dress is especially nice.

I also like the outfit the Crown Princess wore at the welcome ceremony, as well as her gala dress. She looks lovely today as well.

And I always think it's nice to Princess Astrid :)

I wish this visit got more coverage here.

Are there any photos of the governor general's wife with Mette-Marit at the museum? I love Mette-Marit's owl brooch.

Paty posted a beautiful picture two posts up.

The Governor General Michaelle Jean is the woman, and she is here with her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond. You can see she is walked into the Gala by the King, and they inspected the royal guards together at the welcoming ceremony. Only the head of states do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom